8 Gym Challenge - Preparation Stages

Lot of other teams to take Aws place. 

RNSC looks promising as a gym team too

Make this happen asap pls, i wanna chalalnge all.

Either that or the ridiculous rules that started this whole fiasco could be changed which has caused 1 Team to opt out, another to create a deadlock and the majority of the remaining teams to speak out about it.

This is supposed to be a fun event for the community not yet another excuse for people to stroke their already extremely inflated egos. Its so sad to see it ruined because some people need to always show how much better they are than everyone else.

[spoiler]I may or may not be referring to LYLE. Nothing personal but this shit has got to stop.[/spoiler]

Edited by Rendiz

inb4: all 8 teams descide that a challenger must have already acquired 7 badges to challenge them - since it would be the best way to control the inflow of challengers :)

I knew it
Little sad about the little quarrel we currently experience, but thats probably just out of excitement before things really start
I can't wait to enter PvP with my newly discovered prediction abilities :ph34r:

Also a suggestion:
Rules for challenging ones team gym might not involve any of the other gyms in any way.

Edited by Colouring

Hey I just want to thank the players in this game that respect our gym's rules and are excited to play our group of guys. It should be a fun one.

Lol you guys are so oblivious to nobody agreeing with you

This is hilarious and pathetic

Keep it up LYLE, you guys are the best after all

why is the main focus about needing all other badges to face bowser? that is not the only option everyone has, if thats too hard then just beat 5 members of the gym 

"  If you lose to 4 members of [LYLE], you can no longer challenge KingBowser unless you have earned the other 7 badges of the "8 Gym Challenge".  "

Basically we have only one chance to do this.

Ok lets stop the shit talk for a while and try and address some issues so that this event doesn't get derailed by petty arguments.

why is the main focus about needing all other badges to face bowser? that is not the only option everyone has, if thats too hard then just beat 5 members of the gym 

The thing is that isn't the sole issue. Having a way to skip the trainers and go straight to Bowser in itself is a good rule its just in conjunction with the other rules it becomes a very unhealthy format as well as being extremely exclusionary especially to newer players.

The problem comes from the system of losing against LYLE players means they can no longer challenge the trainers. If somebody is to challenge LYLE gym they are have to face a bunch of the best players on the game and every time they are at mercy to the player they are up against in terms of tiers as the rules dictate the LYLE member chooses the tier rather than giving options for the challenger to pick.

Imagine this from the challengers point of view. Not all players are comfortable playing every tier that the game has to offer so it automatically excludes a lot of players from wanting to challenge in fear that they may lose and then therefor the only realistic way of being able to go up against the leader is essentially to beat all the other gyms. And in the end of the day this is supposed to be a fun event for the community and therefor being exclusionary seems very counter productive towards the events original purpose.

An ideal way to address this would be to use a similar system to most of the other gyms where players can challenge an unlimited amount of times but they are forced to take a cooldown when they lose. The specifics on how to cooldown functions would be of the teams choosing eg. the length of cooldown and if it applies to all trainers or just the one they lost against. This would be a much more fair system than the one currently in place and would have a lot less complaints.

Now I would like to address a minor issue this may be more of a personally issue some may disagree (this also applies to other teams than LYLE). But I feel like having to beat 5 players is a bit too much. I think 2-3 is best 3 being max. A lot of the players at these gyms are experienced comp players and best at their respective tiers. So now lets imagine that to beat every gym it required beating 5 players + the leader which is a total of 6 wins. Now imagine you have a 50% win rate (which is generous considering the caliber of players in these gyms) that is a total of 12 games for 1 gym. If you are to multiply that by 8 gyms that is around 100 matches required to be played. This game is already enough of a tedious grind so can we try and make it more enjoyable.

Ok lets stop the shit talk for a while and try and address some issues so that this event doesn't get derailed by petty arguments.

The thing is that isn't the sole issue. Having a way to skip the trainers and go straight to Bowser in itself is a good rule its just in conjunction with the other rules it becomes a very unhealthy format as well as being extremely exclusionary especially to newer players.

The problem comes from the system of losing against LYLE players means they can no longer challenge the trainers. If somebody is to challenge LYLE gym they are have to face a bunch of the best players on the game and every time they are at mercy to the player they are up against in terms of tiers as the rules dictate the LYLE member chooses the tier rather than giving options for the challenger to pick.

Imagine this from the challengers point of view. Not all players are comfortable playing every tier that the game has to offer so it automatically excludes a lot of players from wanting to challenge in fear that they may lose and then therefor the only realistic way of being able to go up against the leader is essentially to beat all the other gyms. And in the end of the day this is supposed to be a fun event for the community and therefor being exclusionary seems very counter productive towards the events original purpose.

An ideal way to address this would be to use a similar system to most of the other gyms where players can challenge an unlimited amount of times but they are forced to take a cooldown when they lose. The specifics on how to cooldown functions would be of the teams choosing eg. the length of cooldown and if it applies to all trainers or just the one they lost against. This would be a much more fair system than the one currently in place and would have a lot less complaints.

Now I would like to address a minor issue this may be more of a personally issue some may disagree (this also applies to other teams than LYLE). But I feel like having to beat 5 players is a bit too much. I think 2-3 is best 3 being max. A lot of the players at these gyms are experienced comp players and best at their respective tiers. So now lets imagine that to beat every gym it required beating 5 players + the leader which is a total of 6 wins. Now imagine you have a 50% win rate (which is generous considering the caliber of players in these gyms) that is a total of 12 games for 1 gym. If you are to multiply that by 8 gyms that is around 100 matches required to be played. This game is already enough of a tedious grind so can we try and make it more enjoyable.

well this isnt supposed to be an easy task to begin with, So i really think beating 6 players from a team of 25+ is quite what you'd except to get their badge. The goal here is to have an extra endgame for competitive players but at the same time only the elite will gather 8 badges, and don't expect it to be easy, its not meant to be like the e4. And some badges will be easyer than others, but thats just how its supposed to be IMO. But yeah some rules should be applied to where if you beat someone you don't have to reduel them next time you try it. And you can't reduel the same gym X number of times in  the same month or something. Should be doable doe but not easy, 3 players is too easy and will die out when everyone gets all the badges. 

In response to this, which is a very logical concern: we attempted to keep our gym as canon as possible. When considering the gyms in game, there is a leader and there are members. The members typically stand in your way and you have to defeat a subset of these members just to advance to the gymleader. We wanted to design the same concept. We also didn't want to make it impossible for players to win our badge, so we ask that you win 5 matches with our membership. We set a cap at 2 tries per 8 members. As I broke down in our thread that is 16 tries to win 5 matches. To pass our members you have to finish with a win percentage of 31% at the worst. That's pretty fair, imo. To add, in the event that a challenger could not win 5 matches in 16 tries we provided a loophole to challenge Bowser even if you lost, and that is to get all 7 of the other badges. This was something eggplant, our host, accepted and even thought was a pretty cool concept.

Sure we have some of the best players in this game, that is true, so we expect to see high caliber players winning our badge. We aren't excluding anyone. Everyone gets the chance to compete with us, it's just that we are arguably very tough to beat. If you can't handle this, then I'm sorry.  

EDIT: In response to the cooldown, we can consider it, but we'd also like the other gyms to get some play rather than everyone trying to play our members over and over and over again. If you couldn't beat us in 5 of 16 tries, we really don't want to keep handing you the beatdown over and over and over again until you RNG us. 

EDIT2: And not to create a new shitstorm, but I think including Clef Cup as a required part of your gym's challenge is more exclusive than anything. New players don't have Clef Cup teams, they probably don't even know what the heck that is. 

Edited by DoubleJ

In response to this, which is a very logical concern: we attempted to keep our gym as canon as possible. When considering the gyms in game, there is a leader and there are members. The members typically stand in your way and you have to defeat a subset of these members just to advance to the gymleader. We wanted to design the same concept. We also didn't want to make it impossible for players to win our badge, so we ask that you win 5 matches with our membership. We set a cap at 2 tries per 8 members. As I broke down in our thread that is 16 tries to win 5 matches. To pass our members you have to finish with a win percentage of 31% at the worst. That's pretty fair, imo. To add, in the event that a challenger could not win 5 matches in 16 tries we provided a loophole to challenge Bowser even if you lost, and that is to get all 7 of the other badges. This was something eggplant, our host, accepted and even thought was a pretty cool concept.

Sure we have some of the best players in this game, that is true, so we expect to see high caliber players winning our badge. We aren't excluding anyone. Everyone gets the chance to compete with us, it's just that we are arguably very tough to beat. If you can't handle this, then I'm sorry.  

EDIT: In response to the cooldown, we can consider it, but we'd also like the other gyms to get some play rather than everyone trying to play our members over and over and over again. If you couldn't beat us in 5 of 16 tries, we really don't want to keep handing you the beatdown over and over and over again until you RNG us. 

While I understand that winning 31% doesn't sound like a lot, winning 31% of games against some of the best players in their respective tiers which the challenger may not be as comfortable in turns it into a far more herculean task than one might have originally thought. If the player was to give an option of 2 tiers and the challenger must pick one that sounds far more reasonable to me. I understand that in your thread you commented saying that the LYLE trainers would take into account the challengers preferred tiers. If this is followed through then I will withdraw my original complaints about this specific issue until we see how it works out.

As far as the cooldown goes if you make the cooldown long enough the possibility of people repeatedly facing you until they RNG you become lower and lower. I would suggest implementing this and at a rate that works for you.

well this isnt supposed to be an easy task to begin with, So i really think beating 6 players from a team of 25+ is quite what you'd except to get their badge. The goal here is to have an extra endgame for competitive players but at the same time only the elite will gather 8 badges, and don't expect it to be easy, its not meant to be like the e4. And some badges will be easyer than others, but thats just how its supposed to be IMO. But yeah some rules should be applied to where if you beat someone you don't have to reduel them next time you try it. And you can't reduel the same gym X number of times in  the same month or something. Should be doable doe but not easy, 3 players is too easy and will die out when everyone gets all the badges. 

Facing extra trainers does not necessarily equate to it being harder. As long as the relative caliber of players stays on roughly the same level the only correlation that can be drawn is increased length. Facing 3 trainers + the leader is only 33% shorter than facing 5 and presuming roughly 50% win rate which again is relatively generous for the vast majority of players, would still equal over 60 games. Playing 60 games against top players and winning vs them is an achievement in itself and making it longer would only drive more people away from participating in this event. I believe that lowering the trainers in most gyms would yield a net gain in players taking part quite substantially.

Lets remember this event is supposed to be fun for the community not only showing off how good each team is. The event is supposed to be hard yes. But not impossible / mind-numbingly long.
Edited by Rendiz

While I understand that winning 31% doesn't sound like a lot, winning 31% of games against some of the best players in their respective tiers which the challenger may not be as comfortable in turns it into a far more herculean task than one might have originally thought. If the player was to give an option of 2 tiers and the challenger must pick one that sounds far more reasonable to me. I understand that in your thread you commented saying that the LYLE trainers would take into account the challengers preferred tiers. If this is followed through then I will withdraw my original complaints about this specific issue until we see how it works out.

As far as the cooldown goes if you make the cooldown long enough the possibility of people repeatedly facing you until they RNG you become lower and lower. I would suggest implementing this and at a rate that works for you.

We'll consider it, but again, we aren't fond of the idea of playing the same people countless times. The allure of this event will simply fade on our end if that happens. Also myy teammates are reasonable people, so if you're not an asshole I can easily see them picking a tier you request. This is probably even more true for newer players since we have no reason to just fuck you over by playing NU when you have no NU pokes. I just feel for Artemiseta who is looking forward to doubles matches when most challenges will likely be in OU, UU, or maybe even NU.

Speaking on behalf of myself though, I will only play matches in a tier that the challenger asks for. This is a luxury I can offer since I do in fact play all tiers.