Choice with Wurmple Evolution

Umarekawatta

Question

7 answers to this question

Out of curiosity, how does Wurmple's evolution work? I've never bothered raising one.

Wurmple will evolve into either Silcoon or Cascoon starting at level 7 depending on its personality value. As personality values cannot be influenced or seen by the player, what a given Wurmple will evolve into is essentially random. From there, the Silcoon or Cascoon will evolve again starting at level 10 into Beautifly or Dustox respectively.

Generations III and IV: 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000

Wurmple's evolution is determined by the lower half of its personality value in Generations III and IV or the upper half in Generation V (highlighted in red above), referred to here as pw. Mathematically, pw can be derived by calculating p % 65536 for Generations III and IV or p / 65536 (rounded down) for Generation V.

If the result of pw % 10 is less than 5, Wurmple will evolve into Silcoon. If it is greater than or equal to 5, Wurmple will evolve into Cascoon.

Source: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Wurmple_(Pok%C3%A9mon)

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Personality_value

Tbh Idk what the 2nd part is talking about as I'm not a math wiz so...

But I do know we can see some kind of characteristic on our pokemon. Some pokemon also like certain flavors of pokeblocks based off their nature if this has any influence, you could probably figure it out, though I doubt this is the case. 

A Pokémon's nature also determines the berries it likes and dislikes. Each type of berry is linked to one stat:

• Attack - Spicy
  • Defense - Sour
  • Speed - Sweet
  • Sp. Attack - Dry
  • Sp. Defense - Bitter

The berry a Pokémon likes is the corresponding flavour of its raised stat, while the berry it dislikes is the flavour of its lowered stat.

Source: http://pokemondb.net/mechanics/natures 

That's all needlessly complicated. it'd be so much easier to have it evolve based on the time of day or something. Hell, even gender would be better than that random shit.

Only Complicated when you see the mechanics behind how it works - which is not something that players have access to, as not all of the required information is available to the player.

It's meant to perceived as random, that is it's gimmick.

It's meant to perceived as random, that is it's gimmick.

Random each time the wrumple is born or random each time the wrumple tries to evolve?

If the first, it would be cool to have a note in the pokemmon summary stating what will the wrumple evolve into.

Edited by axx