Another idea for the GTL listing fee

BigShotJoe

Question

So, quite a few people have been complaining about the listing fee. That it's too high/unfair/needs to be refunded/etc... Would it be possible to stretch the fee over a certain time? What I mean is, would it work if the initial fee for listing it was, say, 1% of your asking price rather than 5%. Then, for each day you leave it posted, you are charged the 1% fee again with it capping at the original 5%. If you don't have enough money to pay the fee, the Pokemon/item/whatever is sent back to you as if you had cancelled the listing. This would allow people to post a price, realize that the price is too high or whatever, and change it without losing 5% every time.
If anyone sees any flaws or wants me to clarify a point, let me know.

10 answers to this question

Wouldn't it affect the genuinely expensive Pokemon. Will do the right opposite of what we are asking for tbh

How so? The listing fee still totals 5% of your asking price. It would just be spread out over a few days to allow people to change their mind.

Edited by BigShotJoe

If I recall in World of Warcraft, their auction house is a 10% fee from what the item was sold for while also having another fee for the length of the auction of the item (not sure how that one works). So imo the 5% fee isn't that bad, it could actually be worse. 

If I recall in World of Warcraft, their auction house is a 10% fee from what the item was sold for while also having another fee for the length of the auction of the item (not sure how that one works). So imo the 5% fee isn't that bad, it could actually be worse. 

Of course it could be worse. That doesn't mean it isn't bad now, though. It could certainly use some improvement. Besides, my suggestion isn't reducing the fee at all. It's just allowing a person to change his/her mind without losing out on the full 5% (which can be pretty significant when trying to sell more valuable things).

Of course it could be worse. That doesn't mean it isn't bad now, though. It could certainly use some improvement. Besides, my suggestion isn't reducing the fee at all. It's just allowing a person to change his/her mind without losing out on the full 5% (which can be pretty significant when trying to sell more valuable things).

Just to make it clear so I understand how the listing fee works atm, if an item is below a certain price it is $1000. But if it's over a certain price it's only 5%?

If so, say I put an item for $100k, the list fee should only be $5k.

Now assuming I did math right, wouldn't that $5k be nothing? And if it is a lot, shouldn't people put things cheaper so they lose less? Oh right, it wouldn't matter as it still does the 5%. (outside of dropping prices too low where it's a fee of 1k.)

But the system we have right now does the job really well. What we really need instead of adjusting the listing fee, is more ways to earn $$$ outside of events, payday, and island runs. I guarantee you once we have that the listing fee wouldn't be as bad as what it seems at the moment.

Just to make it clear so I understand how the listing fee works atm, if an item is below a certain price it is $1000. But if it's over a certain price it's only 5%?

If so, say I put an item for $100k, the list fee should only be $5k.

Now assuming I did math right, wouldn't that $5k be nothing? And if it is a lot, shouldn't people put things cheaper so they lose less? Oh right, it wouldn't matter as it still does the 5%. (outside of dropping prices too low where it's a fee of 1k.)

But the system we have right now does the job really well. What we really need instead of adjusting the listing fee, is more ways to earn $$$ outside of events, payday, and island runs. I guarantee you once we have that the listing fee wouldn't be as bad as what it seems at the moment.

What you are suggesting has been discussed more than you know. If you put more money into the game, people will charge more money for the same Pokemon. Whether you are selling a Pokemon for 100k or 500k, 5% is still 5%. That's how percentages work. I am not suggesting a lower fee or higher income. I am suggesting that the fee be spread out over a short time to give players a chance to adjust their price without losing a large chunk of money.

What you are suggesting has been discussed more than you know. If you put more money into the game, people will charge more money for the same Pokemon. Whether you are selling a Pokemon for 100k or 500k, 5% is still 5%. That's how percentages work. I am not suggesting a lower fee or higher income. I am suggesting that the fee be spread out over a short time to give players a chance to adjust their price without losing a large chunk of money.

Technically you are suggesting a lowering fee, 1% of asking price then increasing by 1% per day, if bought on day 1 it's only 1% which is lowering. 5% isn't a large chunk of money, While yes you can buy quite a bit with 5k if that was a listing price but you still gain like 95k which is far more. 

If you were to sell your item/Pokemon on the first day of it's listing, I don't see how that is detrimental to the market in any way. Either someone wanted your item very badly and paid the price you asked without hesitation, or you undersold it and it didn't sit in the listings for three weeks like so many other things. Think of it as rewarding the player for not trying to oversell everything. At any rate, could we please get some staff opinion on this? I feel like they haven't even looked at it.

The issue with is that players would take advantage of the tax being spread out and post items for sale at ridiculously high prices just for the sake of vanity or because they can. Having a 1% tax up front with 1% charged per day is practically nothing when you can pay day farm the tax. Then there is the issue of what happens if a player cannot pay the tax per day. Sure it can be kicked out of the system but what about players who just want to brag for a day? There is some potential refinement for the tax but spreading it out is a bad way to go.

i have 1300+ listings, please no

Well, its time to start pay daying before the tax update :P . In all seriousness though, I don't like the 1% fee because PokeMMO hobos like myself cannot pay every time its up. The tax is a minor thing, but the real reason why people use the Global Trade Link is for monetary gain not a tax system. Its like Nintendo wanting its cut from YouTubers that advertise their games. A lot of YouTubers hate the Creator's Program (unless your TheJwittz [who in my opinion is one of Nintendo's spokesmen for YouTube]). Having this tax system is like having the Nintendo Creator's Program in PokeMMO (45% profit cut from YouTubers). Some YouTubers flee from Nintendo games and film Playstation or Xbox games where they don't demand cuts or some flee to PokeMMO because PokeMMO allows monetization (now I personally don't profit from the game because I do this for voluntary reasons. The reason I do YouTube is to help PokeMMO's growth). This 1% tax idea is like the Nintendo's Creator Program, I think it will scare off people more than help people make a profit. The Global Trade Link could be hardly used and people are forced to go to channel 1 (because its implicit to people that channel one is the "Trade Hub"). Do you want a rare item like an everstone for your breeding troubles? I am sorry, you have to go to channel 1 for that. As you can tell, I am against the 1% tax system. I am all for the 5% tax rate and I would like to keep it 5% instead of going up or down.

Edited by Bestfriends