GTL Search Categories

BigShotJoe

Question

When searching for a pokemon in the GTL, you normally have to use the overly-specific Advanced Search or just scan through endless pages of crap pokemon posted by new players to find anything worth buying. I'm thinking mostly of breeder pokemon when I say this. If we had the option to choose a category for each pokemon we put in GTL, it would help immensely when searching for things like comps, breeders, and the like. We are already able to search for pokemon by gender, egg group, and even nature, but sometimes you aren't looking for something that specific and just want to browse for certain kinds of pokemon. Seeing as there are over 26,000 different entries in the GTL at the time this post was written with more being added every minute, I think players need a better way to find things they need. Before the GTL, most serious players used the forums to sell their stuff. It was possible to browse around for comps and breeders just to see what was available. I would be very happy, as I'm sure other would, if this could be implemented.

4 answers to this question

I'd really like if such option was available and we could easily possibly one-click browse comps or quality breeders on GTL.

However, seeing that any person can post a listing on GTL even if they've been playing for a day or so and don't really understand what is good breeder or comp.

If you let people choose the category for themselves they can categorize any lvl 50+ junk wild pokemon or story pokemon as comp cause new people rarely know what competitive pokemon really mean. Even if you put some constraint on it being fully EV'd you can't really control automatically if it was real EV training or just random EVs gained while using this poke in storyline.

I think for now using Advanced filter with setting level 50+ and setting your minimum IVs accordingly you get pretty good comp results to browse through. It's a bit painful to set it all each time and change ivs depending if you want phys/spec pokemon or whether you want sweeper or wall. But i think results are more reliable than if you let people decide what is comp and what not.

I'd really like if such option was available and we could easily possibly one-click browse comps or quality breeders on GTL.

However, seeing that any person can post a listing on GTL even if they've been playing for a day or so and don't really understand what is good breeder or comp.

If you let people choose the category for themselves they can categorize any lvl 50+ junk wild pokemon or story pokemon as comp cause new people rarely know what competitive pokemon really mean. Even if you put some constraint on it being fully EV'd you can't really control automatically if it was real EV training or just random EVs gained while using this poke in storyline.

I think for now using Advanced filter with setting level 50+ and setting your minimum IVs accordingly you get pretty good comp results to browse through. It's a bit painful to set it all each time and change ivs depending if you want phys/spec pokemon or whether you want sweeper or wall. But i think results are more reliable than if you let people decide what is comp and what not.

This did cross my mind. There isn't really any way to prevent newer players from posting their... less desirable merchandise, to put it gently. You can see this by simply looking at 80% of GTL. However, I do believe that allowing people to categorize their listings would help tremendously. It's not a perfect idea, but I believe it far better than what we have now. While it would be unavoidable having newer players mislabel their stuff, the number of people that would correctly label their's would be far greater. It would allow the GTL to become less a sea of crapmon that you have to swim through for an hour and more a large bucket of water with a few insects in it.

I like this idea but I feel it needs to be sharpened more.

How exactly could we better search for comps if we have the iv search modifier etc.

Also I would like to add to the suggestion, search by type? Like plug in ground and it brings up only pokemon with the ground type somewhere in there typing, could help :) good idea so far

I like this idea but I feel it needs to be sharpened more.

How exactly could we better search for comps if we have the iv search modifier etc.

Also I would like to add to the suggestion, search by type? Like plug in ground and it brings up only pokemon with the ground type somewhere in there typing, could help :) good idea so far

I agree that searching by type would be useful. As for searching for the other question: I was suggesting a filter that would allow to browse all the "comp" Pokemon in GTL, regardless of species, build, etc... As it is, you have to type in a certain species you are looking for and then an array of IV's. That's all well and good for finding a Pokemon to meet your exact needs, but sometimes you might just want to see what's available. Maybe you want to make some money by buying cheap comps and reselling them. Maybe you are trying to get started playing a new tier and don't know where to start. Whether or not this feature is implemented, it's obvious we need some better ways to filter and search through the GTL. At the time of this posting, there are about 30,000 Pokemon listed in the GTL, most of which are utter crap. Finding a good Pokemon is like mining for diamonds.