Make Battle Points trade-able

emperior

Question

Just this. I would like to buy some moves for my Pokemon but BPs can't be traded and I can't bother grinding battle tower, especially because I don't have the right Pokemon to grind it and they would cost more than just buying the BPs I want.

Can't trust to give someone I don't know a perfect comp worth 1.5+ m and expect him to teach the move I want, and give it back for few thousands of Poke yen. 

Edited by emperior

24 answers to this question

Or you can stop being lazy and actually farm them, it's not really that hard. Once you're on a streak, you can farm a lot more to only suffice for your one poke.

And this is coming from a person who's extremely lazy o;

You have to consider those of us who are on the other side of the fence - I'm trying to get rid of my BP, but I can only do so by selling choice bands or teach moves to people who trust me. Tradeable BP also benefits the sellers, not just the buyers.

You have to consider those of us who are on the other side of the fence - I'm trying to get rid of my BP, but I can only do so by selling choice bands or teach moves to people who trust me. Tradeable BP also benefits the sellers, not just the buyers.

Fair enough, you have a point, sadly, he did not. We don't need more of those suggestions where the main reason for implementing it is "omagash I'm lazy pls nerf or fix this". It's just a bad thinking overall and it gets people nowhere.

Fair enough, you have a point, sadly, he did not. We don't need more of those suggestions where the main reason for implementing it is "omagash I'm lazy pls nerf or fix this". It's just a bad thinking overall and it gets people nowhere.

I agree, it's bad reasoning, but a good suggestion. Hopefully staff will read further down this thread...

Here is the thing, if someone doesn't trust you, offer a collateral. So on the off chance the seller runs off with the comp that is good, then at least the buyer has something in return that is about equal value. 

Here is the thing, if someone doesn't trust you, offer a collateral. So on the off chance the seller runs off with the comp that is good, then at least the buyer has something in return that is about equal value. 

As much as we'd like it to be that easy, you won't be able to make a deal on what this "collateral damage" will be most of the time, as everyone values things differently, and pretty sure most people would be greedy about it anyway.

I am in favour of a "third economy boom."  As a rookie economist, I am going to make an analysis of the past, present, and a possible futuristic economy (the only reason why I call myself a rookie economist is due to the fact that I listen to Milton Friedman for economic advice, but I don't know a lot about economics).

Past Economy: ac70f7f76fc7c89778c3f4eddb4f63f4.png *Lucky Eggs*

Description of the Past Economy: As a 2013 player, I can describe this economy. People would spend a lot of Yen just to go to the Safari and acquire Lucky Eggs to strike it rich. People seemed pleased, but there is a cost to relying on chicken eggs.... the duplication glitch which practically KILLED the value of the Lucky Eggs (due to untended inflation). The staff came up with a good idea, make a new economy.....

Present Economy:83217a3a5bc6028579ad5c64403073ac.png 9de2ab48ed0f8d3dc37f385b07bcf959.png *PokeYen*

Description of the Present Economy: This is our current system of economy. Want that comp or shiny? You need the Yen to pay for such luxuries. This is why Resort Gorgeous, Ditto Cave, and Magma Hideout are famous places throughout the player base. Do you want a player to do something for you (EV Training, buy Reward Points for you, etc)? You have to have the Yen to back you up. We had this economy for 2 years and I think its time for a change (in my opinion, I think the economy needs another shake like it had back in 2014).

Possible Future Economy9fb897d6c09118cc100d5f6c566f4941.png *Battle Points*

Description of Possible Future Economy: I think this economy will help shiny traders become competitive. They can work for Battle Points and attend officials (I can see JoshLindsay grinding for Battle Points). I think this will give competitive players a boost in wealth and Yen can be used for breeding, name rater (trust me, there are some pokes I buy with inappropriate nicknames), etc.  I think Battle Points could possibly become an economic advancement for PokeMMO.

Edited by Bestfriends

I can see both sides of this issue where people who have too much BP would love to sell them to people who would like to buy them without grinding the BP. It would be a whole new commodity. 

But I feel like making BP tradeable kind of diminishes the Battle Frontier as its position as the biggest end-game feature with its own unique reward system. All items and tutor moves must be earned, giving them more than just monetary value but some status as well, you're far enough in the game and good enough to get these things. If you arent, you simply dont get them. 

I think a game needs aspects like this to keep end-game players interested and playing. If you could just buy absolutely everything after the e4, then theres no "end game," just grinding. The Battle Frontier and earning BP is exactly a challenge you have to stick around and do in order to make other end game features like breeding comps worth while. 

This is purely my opinion.

Isn't Poke Yen a source most people use because they are too lazy to do some things?

By your logic, no one would buy 1x31 ditto, because if you farm them enough you will have the ditto you need. But some people just prefer to use the 20k and buy one off the GTL. 

By your logic, GTL is useless. Your logic is flawed in my opinion. I don't need to lie about that, I want to have trade-able BPs because I'm lazy/prefer to spend my time grind PokeMMO in other ways. More people would grind battle points to sell them if they were trade-able. People like me would buy them. There would be a new way to make money, I don't see any problem with it.

Isn't Poke Yen a source most people use because they are too lazy to do some things?
By your logic, no one would buy 1x31 ditto, because if you farm them enough you will have the ditto you need. But some people just prefer to use the 20k and buy one off the GTL. 
By your logic, GTL is useless. Your logic is flawed in my opinion. I don't need to lie about that, I want to have trade-able BPs because I'm lazy/prefer to spend my time grind PokeMMO in other ways. More people would grind battle points to sell them if they were trade-able. People like me would buy them. There would be a new way to make money, I don't see any problem with it.

Let me give you a quote from an actual staff member:

We get many Suggestions in the Suggestion Box that usually have something along the lines of

Pro: It makes things easier

Con: I can't think of any

As a player, making something easier or better for the player is a no-brainer, who wouldn't want that on an individual level?
But as a designer, when you look at it on a mass scale, is making something easier a good idea? How will it affect the economy? What effect will this have on gameplay?

Well, you did just this. Your way of presenting this suggestion is most likely going to be auto-rejected, because you gave a shitty reason for it. We don't care about your motives, if your suggestion does actually benefit people (which it does,) you should say so. "I can't be bothered" really is just a terrible point.

Let me give you a quote from an actual staff member:

Well, you did just this. Your way of presenting this suggestion is most likely going to be auto-rejected, because you gave a shitty reason for it. We don't care about your motives, if your suggestion does actually benefit people (which it does,) you should say so. "I can't be bothered" really is just a terrible point.

Really? Sure he might not have made a good objective post, but I'm certain that they wouldn't auto-reject a good idea, just because it's not presented correctly. No game developer would be like: "Yeah it would benefit us, but we didn't like the way you presented it so we won't do it."

Give the guy a break, he is just posting his idea on a forum. It's not like he is doing a job interview.

As for the suggestion, I totally agree. People shouldn't be forced to do Battle Tower if they don't want to, but still want to play competitive. I for one enjoy the Battle Tower, but I could see how people would find it repetitive and annoying, especially if they don't have decent pokes to run it.

PandaJJ I couldn't think of any cons of making BPs trade-able. If you do, please tell. 

It's not like everything must have a "con"

Well one con, like Wolfgang kinda stated, is that you lose the exclusivity of BP moves. I'm not saying this is a bad thing, but some people might be against it. It's similar to "Bind on pickup" loot in MMO's. Only people that are good enough to beat the dungeons, are able to wear that armor. Just like only people able to get high enough at the Tower, or just play it a lot, will be the ones that have BP.

PandaJJ I couldn't think of any cons of making BPs trade-able. If you do, please tell. 

It's not like everything must have a "con"

Not everything must have a con, you are correct. My point was that your pro was basically "I'm too lazy to use the BF," which does not justify the suggestion. In fact, if there is any con, it's just that - if BP becomes tradeable, a lot of people might stop using the BF. But also, as I implied earlier, a lot of people might start using BF, so it's really up to how the developers judge it. One of the best way to justify it in my opinion, as you briefly hinted, is that BP is being traded already, but making them tradeable would reduce scam.

Everything has pros and cons. It is how much one outweighs the other. Some things have such minor cons that it is a bigger waste of time worrying about them than it is to take them into account.

On the subject of this topic there are cons to this and they should be picked out for more informed discussion. One of the cons of this is the real risk of creating a third currency in game that could end up more like Lucky Eggs. Currently the two primary currencies are Pokemon/items and poke yen. I would not say that yen is a lazy currency since it takes effort to acquire it in the first place. Granted the Battle Points also take effort to acquire, they take significantly more effort than poke yen. This effort barrier places using Battle Points as a currency out of reach for players who do not wish to challenge the Battle Frontier or Battle Tower. Thay being said there is still discussion thay could be had on this topic.

I don't see it likely that Battle Points could become the new currency, because:

- GTL uses yen.

- Pokemon Markets use yen.

- Braces cost yen.

- Game Corner coins can only be bought with yen.

- Economy is centered around yen.

Battle points can only buy tutor moves, secret bases decorations and some item. It could become a minor currency, but I can't see it overtaking yen.

I can see battle points losing value over time, as well as Choice Bands and Pokemon with tutor moves. 

I don't see it likely that Battle Points could become the new currency, because:

- GTL uses yen.

- Pokemon Markets use yen.

- Braces cost yen.

- Game Corner coins can only be bought with yen.

- Economy is centered around yen.

Battle points can only buy tutor moves, secret bases decorations and some item. It could become a minor currency, but I can't see it overtaking yen.

I can see battle points losing value over time, as well as Choice Bands and Pokemon with tutor moves. 

You think back a few years ago you could buy things in marts with Lucky Eggs?

Not really a point.

You think back a few years ago you could buy things in marts with Lucky Eggs?

Not really a point.

When there was Lucky Egg currency money was so easy to get it was not a problem. Now money isn't easy to get and you can buy Pokemon with it. The economy is so centered around yen I see it difficult for BPs to overtake yen.

When there was Lucky Egg currency money was so easy to get it was not a problem. Now money isn't easy to get and you can buy Pokemon with it. The economy is so centered around yen I see it difficult for BPs to overtake yen.

And how is it that money was easier to get back then? Do explain, I am sure I'll definitively have something to reply to

While money wasn't "easier" to get, it was much easier to retain the money you made through alt runs.  Vitamins along with storyline Tms were sold for higher prices. Also there were far lesser money sinks also at that time and breeders were cheap af. There were no braces and only one everstone was needed. 

Edited by NikhilR

Yeah, and you do have to take in account players are getting tired of grinding for money anyway. First example would be the reason for this suggestion. Don't get me wrong, nobody wants to grind, but I really don't like seeing threads like these being approved just because the main reason is being lazy