Stop the battle counter when disconnected.

codylramey

Question

The ability to reconnect and continue a battle should you lose connection in the middle is HUGE. It was a much needed improvement from the way it was b4. But I think it could still improve. During a battle against raaidn in Vird i dc'd, i was able to reconnect and continue the battle but the battle timer had kept going. Because the battle timer got so low from the DC each of my turns ended up with a very little amount of time available. I wasnt paying attention, i had to have only had seconds to make each move, and quickly after like 3 turns into the match after reconnecting i DCd (wasnt mad he was kicking my ass). I think that for the sake of giving everyone, including those with poor internet that likes to go out once in a while, a fair shake the battle timer needs to change when you DC.

I understand that stopping the timer outright could be potentially "abused" especially for trolls. So maybe just not having any time that lapses during a DC not count for against your overall timer would be a nice compromise.

4 answers to this question

I guess that could work if they would add a separate "DC Timer", but even then you could fake DC if you need to think hard, or do a certain calc and abuse the system. And how often does it happen that you disconnect for longer than 10 seconds? The fact that they added reconnecting is already huge, I think the way it is right now is fair enough. You can't program an online game for people with horrible internet.

I guess that could work if they would add a separate "DC Timer", but even then you could fake DC if you need to think hard, or do a certain calc and abuse the system. And how often does it happen that you disconnect for longer than 10 seconds? The fact that they added reconnecting is already huge, I think the way it is right now is fair enough. You can't program an online game for people with horrible internet.

I dont know how many people who are in my situation of DC frequently but the reason i DC is because i bluetooth tether and there is an error in the conntection for the bluetooth. The problem is that it takes a while for the computer, and the game, to know im not on the internet anymore. I can pick a move and the timer will still tick. Thats when i know that there is an error in my connection that my computer hasnt picked up on yet. I then have to manually disconnect for my pc to know im not on the internet anymore faster, this prompts the game to allow me to log out due to a disconnect. Then i have to reestablish connection and log back in. I took long enough to give me only seconds on the clock per turn vs raaidn.

I know when i had real internet i had to often reset the modem or router. This can take a long time especially if the modem and router are in a hard to get to location. Modems also just take a long time in general to reboot.

#Americaninternetsucksmonkeynuts

Edited by codylramey

While I see the benefits of this, it is commonly abused on chess websites by disconnecting and waste the time of your opponent. However, this is irrelevant in for example tournaments, and having this feature in tournaments would be huge. In theory you could also abuse this to get extra time to think, although this is not that realistic.

One interesting thing I have seen done is allowing the ability to give your opponent extra time. For example, if your opponent is about to run out of time, but the game is very interesting, you could give him/her extra time to see how it plays out. If however you suspect that your opponent is disconnecting because he/she is a sore loser, you do not have to give him/her extra time. This solution does not work in tournaments or rated games to prevent losing due to a dc, since your opponent will just let you lose on time in order to advance in the bracket or gain rating.

In any case, if this should be implemented it should be separate disconnection timer rather than simply stopping your time. For example you could have a seperate 2 minute timer that only ticks when you are offline.

While I see the benefits of this, it is commonly abused on chess websites by disconnecting and waste the time of your opponent. However, this is irrelevant in for example tournaments, and having this feature in tournaments would be huge. In theory you could also abuse this to get extra time to think, although this is not that realistic.

One interesting thing I have seen done is allowing the ability to give your opponent extra time. For example, if your opponent is about to run out of time, but the game is very interesting, you could give him/her extra time to see how it plays out. If however you suspect that your opponent is disconnecting because he/she is a sore loser, you do not have to give him/her extra time. This solution does not work in tournaments or rated games to prevent losing due to a dc, since your opponent will just let you lose on time in order to advance in the bracket or gain rating.

In any case, if this should be implemented it should be separate disconnection timer rather than simply stopping your time. For example you could have a seperate 2 minute timer that only ticks when you are offline.

This would work too, also i did put in the end the option to not let the timer during a DC effect the overall time you are given per turn. You cant see when you are about to run out of time so it would be hard to abuse (possible with a friend).