PC in Secret Base

Robofiend

Question

I don't think new players will know about secret bases having PCs to heal their pokemons, until they actually finish the game. ( or at least until they can fly )
They will still use potions, or fly / run to the closest Pokemon Center. As for experienced players, of course they will use this feature, or just fly to the closest center, as they don't want to spend $ on potions.
Maybe i'm wrong thought.

Not seeing how that's an exploit, you can just fly and bike for like 25s to get back to anywhere in the game

Route 115 is a great example of why this idea poses some problems. It's the best place to find Swablu, Taillow and Jigglypuff and is extremely far away from a Pokemon Center. It also requires a Repel if you don't want some Tentacool encounters along the way.

[spoiler]tMvEJI.png[/spoiler]

Someone hunting for Pokemon in that patch of grass for a long period of time would be a fool not to move their base nearby. This suggestion essentially turns secret bases into temporary healing locations.

As much as I want to see this happen, unfortunately, Rache is correct. People can find ways to exploit this sort of thing. Yes, ignorance can stop someone, but what happens if a seasoned player tells someone that "you can use your base as a second Poke Center?" This would be quite troublesome. 

Robo, I have an alternative suggestion for you, suggest that you HAVE to complete both Kanto and Hoenn first (story mode), then you can unlock the PC privilege. If your friends with an experienced player, TOO BAD! You can not access the "PC base" option, unless you completed the games yourself.

[spoiler]I am trying to compromise both Robo's and Rache's arguments so that way we can have this function, but in a less broken fashion.[/spoiler]

Edited by Bestfriends

Route 115 is a great example of why this idea poses some problems. It's the best place to find Swablu, Taillow and Jigglypuff and is extremely far away from a Pokemon Center. It also requires a Repel if you don't want some Tentacool encounters along the way.

[spoiler]tMvEJI.png[/spoiler]

Someone hunting for Pokemon in that patch of grass for a long period of time would be a fool not to move their base nearby. This suggestion essentially turns secret bases into temporary healing locations.

But how does that compromise any gameplay? It's not like running into Tentacools is a significant part of the game that players need to experience, hence repels, nor is the distance from a pokemon center even related to the value of getting to that place.

Worst case, just make Secret Power unobtainable until after the storyline or something.

But how does that compromise any gameplay? It's not like running into Tentacools is a significant part of the game that players need to experience, hence repels, nor is the distance from a pokemon center even related to the value of getting to that place.

Worst case, just make Secret Power unobtainable until after the storyline or something.

Fact is you are completely removing the benefit of using repels, or potions, or leppa berries/other healing items by offering a free alternative. Sure its takes "25" seconds to get back to anywhere in the game, but that adds up when you would be doing it a lot. 

Fact is you are completely removing the benefit of using repels, or potions, or leppa berries/other healing items by offering a free alternative. Sure its takes "25" seconds to get back to anywhere in the game, but that adds up when you would be doing it a lot. 

no. no one will do this. doing this will make you loose the secret base you want, getting rid of all your furniture etc. i cant believe you dont realize the postives of expanding on secrets bases in this MMO.  

A PC in the base will allow teams to hold team tourneys in the leader's base which could function as the team base, or a way to host unofficials in cool places. so instead of limiting what we can do with this feature we should really be thinking about expanding upon it.

no. no one will do this. doing this will make you loose the secret base you want, getting rid of all your furniture etc. i cant believe you dont realize the postives of expanding on secrets bases in this MMO.  

A PC in the base will allow teams to hold team tourneys in the leader's base which could function as the team base, or a way to host unofficials in cool places. so instead of limiting what we can do with this feature we should really be thinking about expanding upon it.

You don't lose anything its still there to be placed.

You don't lose anything its still there to be placed.

if i had a secret base in mauville on the lake that i spent a lot of time on making it look great, but i wanted to abuse the pc system like you said would happen and go to route 115, all my stuff in mauville stays once i switch the secret base to route 115?

if i had a secret base in mauville on the lake that i spent a lot of time on making it look great, but i wanted to abuse the pc system like you said would happen and go to route 115, all my stuff in mauville stays once i switch the secret base to route 115?

If you didn't care about making it look good, you would instead have a portable Pokemon Center that takes no effort to decorate. When you pack up a base regardless though, all decoration items are returned to you. They're not lost or left behind.

If you didn't care about making it look good, you would instead have a portable Pokemon Center that takes no effort to decorate. When you pack up a base regardless though, all decoration items are returned to you. They're not lost or left behind.

like robofiend mentioned, attaching a fee for moving bases would stop that.

If it's made expensive enough to prevent people from using it simply as a portable PC, it would see no use it at all, thus making it a pointless suggestion.

no i mean make moving bases have a fee. PC free. Example:

Im a new player and i want my first secret base. Mauville looks nice. Great its free and comes with a PC wow such a great feature staff. but now i want to abuse this and move to route 115 to catch some rare stuffs and have a "portable PC!" aw shit a 50k fee to move here. nah ill do it the non cheaty way and just surf here to catch stuff.

Edited by Otulp

I kind of agree with Otulp's idea, one can choose a secret base to be his spot, he gets access to a PC and can use it normally, but if he decides to make a new secret base, to exploit it and to heal his pokes, he would have to pay a fee for it to be possible.

no i mean make moving bases have a fee. PC free. Example:

Im a new player and i want my first secret base. Mauville looks nice. Great its free and comes with a PC wow such a great feature staff. but now i want to abuse this and move to route 115 to catch some rare stuffs and have a "portable PC!" aw shit a 50k fee to move here. nah ill do it the non cheaty way and just surf here to catch stuff.

get it?

No need to get sassy - this is a discussion, not an argument. If you plan to be hunting in a certain area for a long time, having a base nearby will be easily worth the moving cost when you can use it to prevent having to leave or buy items. If you plan to shiny hunt on Route 115, you'd almost be silly not to build your base nearby.

The Pokemon on Route 115 range from lv17-20. Let's say 18 on average. Pay Day has up to 32 PP. Let's be generous and say that your entire party consists of PP Maxed Pay Dayers. You make around 35k with their combined PP if you're using it on every Pokemon. This is 192 encounters. After you go into your base to heal, you do this again. Let's assume that you encounter a shiny on your 10,000th battle. It may take more, it may take less. You've had to heal 52 times to do this (and have made 1.8m from Pay Day). If it takes a minute more to heal at a PC and get back compared to going into your nearby base, you've saved 52 minutes. A single run of the islands will net you over 100k in less time, thus making the 50k to move worth it both financially and in time.

I should also point out that a significant fee can be enormously discouraging to a player not wanting to exploit its healing capabilities and instead just finding a base that they prefer. It's not uncommon for players to make their first base in the tree next to the NPC that gives them the TM after all. Players can also abuse a healing function with alts and friends/teammates as they'll be able to access those bases as long as the character is online.

I could've sworn this was suggested before and this same debate was held. In any case this would be a really neat feature if implemented, and if staff are so worried about exploits, couldn't you just have it available at the battle frontier so it's only obtainable post game. If your concerned about people grinding pokemon in a faraway place during post game, why? It's not like it's ruining gameplay or causing an unfair advantage. If anything it's making an obnoxious grind for pokemon slightly better by having a closer healing spot.

No need to get sassy - this is a discussion, not an argument. If you plan to be hunting in a certain area for a long time, having a base nearby will be easily worth the moving cost when you can use it to prevent having to leave or buy items. If you plan to shiny hunt on Route 115, you'd almost be silly not to build your base nearby.

The Pokemon on Route 115 range from lv17-20. Let's say 18 on average. Pay Day has up to 32 PP. Let's be generous and say that your entire party consists of PP Maxed Pay Dayers. You make around 35k with their combined PP if you're using it on every Pokemon. This is 192 encounters. After you go into your base to heal, you do this again. Let's assume that you encounter a shiny on your 10,000th battle. It may take more, it may take less. You've had to heal 52 times to do this (and have made 1.8m from Pay Day). If it takes a minute more to heal at a PC and get back compared to going into your nearby base, you've saved 52 minutes. A single run of the islands will net you over 100k in less time, thus making the 50k to move worth it both financially and in time.

I should also point out that a significant fee can be enormously discouraging to a player not wanting to exploit its healing capabilities and instead just finding a base that they prefer. It's not uncommon for players to make their first base in the tree next to the NPC that gives them the TM after all. Players can also abuse a healing function with alts and friends/teammates as they'll be able to access those bases as long as the character is online.

wasnt being sassy, just giving an example. Pls dont take anything i say personally. not trying to hurt feelings just stating my side of the discussion. 

I understand your worry, but if were being totally honest, grind is the last thing players will want to do if this feature is implemented. Theres already enough of that. And i honestly cant think of anyone who would make a secret base, have 6 paydayers, and sit in a location just to payday grind. If that were the case icefall cave on island 4 can be considered exploitable.

Trust me I see where youre coming from, but is there anyway you think this could be impleted while avoiding abuse?

Edited by Otulp

Trust me I see where youre coming from, but is there anyway you think this could be impleted while avoiding abuse?

The only way I can see this possibly working would be:

Upon entry:

Notify the player of what will happen so they don't panic when their team is missing.

Take the player's party away.

Create a new party by giving them the first Pokemon in their PC or making them choose.

Disable trading while inside.

Upon exit:

Deposit all Pokemon they're holding.

Return the original party.

This prevents the Secret Base from being used as a healing spot, but comes with its own problems - most notably that it makes little sense and is overly complex. The player would also need to have at least one Pokemon in their PC for it to work, which won't always be the case if they only caught what they intended to use in the story.

Edited by RacheLucario

Do you realize that people can already perform this exact exploit for 1/10th of the effort it would even take to get to far-away destinations by taking advantage of Fallabor or Island 7's closeness to the PC to their advantage? Is there any good reason that these places should be really good for hunting shinies/payday farming while similar places should not? I mean, for fuck's sake, Victory Road Hoenn is literally 2 feet from a Pokemon center, has the highest level mobs in the region and a multitude of rare shinies. If Payday farming that is possible then I don't see why farming any other area in the game is somehow going to be detrimental. 

In many cases, it's likely that flying back to PC, healing with Nurse Joy (as opposed to manually dragdropping pokes in the PC) and then biking back to the same place is going to be just as fast as biking back to your secret base - and like I said above the pay is always going to be worse than just camping out on Victory Road.

As long as a secret base PC is unavailable to players before they finish the story, there's no way this can be exploited to any real effect. 

Do you realize that people can already perform this exact exploit for 1/10th of the effort it would even take to get to far-away destinations by taking advantage of Fallabor or Island 7's closeness to the PC to their advantage? Is there any good reason that these places should be really good for hunting shinies/payday farming while similar places should not? I mean, for fuck's sake, Victory Road Hoenn is literally 2 feet from a Pokemon center, has the highest level mobs in the region and a multitude of rare shinies. If Payday farming that is possible then I don't see why farming any other area in the game is somehow going to be detrimental. 

In many cases, it's likely that flying back to PC, healing with Nurse Joy (as opposed to manually dragdropping pokes in the PC) and then biking back to the same place is going to be just as fast as biking back to your secret base - and like I said above the pay is always going to be worse than just camping out on Victory Road.

As long as a secret base PC is unavailable to players before they finish the story, there's no way this can be exploited to any real effect. 

Nothing is being exploited if the player is taking advantage of something that is actually supposed to exist. Additionally, the Pokemon Centers on Seven Island and Fallarbor Town are static rather than essentially portable. Neither of them are anywhere near the patch of grass on Route 115 either.

There are a few locations in which healing at a nearby base will always be faster than going to a Pokemon Center. The aforementioned Route 115, Route 120 (which is commonly farmed for both EVs and Mudkip) and several others. If people can move their their Secret Base nearby to use as a healing location, they will. There is pretty much no chance that the feature will ever be implemented in a way that allows that, so simply giving the player a PC in their base will not happen unless something is put in place to prevent their current party from being healed and new Pokemon brought out of the base. If you'd like base PCs to be a thing, you'd achieve more by suggesting alternatives that achieve the same result as the post above yours if it's undesirable. Without limitations, this feature cannot happen.

Who the f*** would waste his time shiny hunting anyway? and again, why in that specific route? (which seems to be the only route where you can "exploit" a pc).

Also paydaying lvl 20 pokes is an absurd waste of time.

Fallharbor is literally attached to where you find mudkip anyway, so what are you even talking about?