What is the deal with people and 31s

• 1 year later...

This doesn't seem active but...

Can someone explain me the difference between 30 and 31 IV on lvl 50 fully EV trained and not ev trained?

I only do comps with 31s on the important spots, like I made some 5x31 and 4x31s with nature of course...

On the actual PvP state, I think that to win we have to know very well the meta + having the best of the bests pokemons (that means IVs)

I now do some pokemons with 3x30+1x31 or something like that because they are a lot cheaper. 

Thanks

Edit - I think this solves my problem?

• To get the highest possible stat at lvl 50 you always have to go for 31 IVs and 252 EVs. 31+(252/4)=94 (even number) .
  • If you want to invest 4 EVs in a stat, you always have to have 31 IV for them to have an effect. 31+(4/4)=32 (even number).
  • If you plan on using 0 EVs in a stat, 30 IV is enough (30+[0/4]=30 [even number]). 

^took this from some website

Edited by Tato99
8 hours ago, Tato99 said:

Edit - I think this solves my problem?

• To get the highest possible stat at lvl 50 you always have to go for 31 IVs and 252 EVs. 31+(252/4)=94 (even number) .
  • If you want to invest 4 EVs in a stat, you always have to have 31 IV for them to have an effect. 31+(4/4)=32 (even number).
  • If you plan on using 0 EVs in a stat, 30 IV is enough (30+[0/4]=30 [even number]). 

^took this from some website

This is accurate, however you have to think about complex spreads: What if people want to invest in 5 stats? Then 5x31 will just have an edge over a lesser good comp. And because making a 5x31 is pretty easy these days, why not go for it?

10 hours ago, Tato99 said:

Can someone explain me the difference between 30 and 31 IV on lvl 50 fully EV trained and not ev trained?

Correct. To be a bit more specific, if you have an even IV number, you only need 248 EVs to max that one stat. 252 EVs if the IV number is odd. 4 EVs gives you a first stat point on an odd IV number, then it takes 8 EVs for another stat point, then another 8 and so on until you reach those 252 max. If IV number is even you need 8 EVs for the first stat point, then 8 more for another and so on until you reach those 248 max.

Example on how to max a "budget comp" stats:

Adamant Scizor 26/30/25/x/26/31

8 HP EV - 248 Attack EV - 252 Speed EV

You always get left with 2 extra EVs, which are useless so add those wherever.

2 hours ago, OldKeith said:

And because making a 5x31 is pretty easy these days, why not go for it?

Might look easy but takes longer and costs a lot. Grinding money is a pain in the ass, I think most people usually go for 2x31 on most important stats, then 3x25+ in the other ones. Basically what you get with shiny prizes these days.

You can pretty much breed 2-3 of those comps with the same money you use for a 5x31.

Edited by LifeStyle

I'm way more relaxed about IVs than I used to be, so 28+ is usually fine now when I would have dismissed it before, but it does make a difference. You want to give yourself the biggest edge possible to win matches, and if your mon lives a hit with 1 or 2hp because you took the time to make sure you hit 31 in said stats, or does that extra bit of damage to KO where it wouldn't before, then it makes it worth it. Admittedly those circumstances don't come up all that much but it's always nice when it does. It's like PP Maxing, some people just don't want to take any chances. 

So for example physical charizard... If I want to maximize it I would only need 31/31/30/X/30/31 giving 4EV at HP 252 at ATK and 252 at Speed?

I made it 5x31 but it seems now a waste of money to have the best physical zard, true?

Or adamant Ursaring only needs 30/31/31/X/30/30?

So, if I intend to EV train a stat - give it 31 because it will be better then 30 (by one stat...)

If I do not intend to EV train a stat - give it 30 cuz its equal to 31?

Thanks ;)

As for breeding 5x31 I find it more easy to breed 4x31 lr 5x31 + nature then 2x31 3x25+ +nature or something like that, I can mess it up more times to be honest..  Doing 5x31 its just that doesnt need much of combining and etc..

2 hours ago, Tato99 said:

So for example physical charizard... If I want to maximize it I would only need 31/31/30/X/30/31 giving 4EV at HP 252 at ATK and 252 at Speed?

Yup.

2 hours ago, Tato99 said:

Or adamant Ursaring only needs 30/31/31/X/30/30?

Or give it 31 speed. If you go max speed on Ursa you can outpace stuff like Jolly Golem/Marowak, tho I guess thats always a personal choice, some people do go for bulkier Ursas instead.

57 minutes ago, Tatozito said:

So, whats the difference between lets say a Umbreon with 31IV in speed and an Umbreon with 30IV in speed.

If both have 0 Evs in speed who goes first??

They will both have the same speed stat if both are invested in any speed evs. If you wish to increase the initial stat by one point you will need 4 evs for the 31 iv and 8 evs for the 30 iv, you will require a further 8 for each stat after.

Edited by xXBlu3BreathXx
On 7/31/2017 at 4:41 PM, OldKeith said:

and lose to someone who has 31 defense surviving on 1 hp ^^

Yea, after posting this there has been many examples of people winning rounds they would have otherwise loss or losing rounds they would have otherwise won bc of the quality of their comps. I guess when you are a hardcore comp player trying to go for that masters (is that still a thing?) then they are probs worth the investment.

Just now, codylramey said:

Yea, after posting this there has been many examples of people winning rounds they would have otherwise loss or losing rounds they would have otherwise won bc of the quality of their comps. I guess when you are a hardcore comp player trying to go for that masters (is that still a thing?) then they are probs worth the investment.

I will quote Senile. Completely inaccurate quote but same idea: "if you can increase your winning odds by 1%, there is no reason not to do it". He said that during times when breeding was really hard. Now it's not even hard to get a perfect comp.

I just do the 31s on the important stats and everything else goes 20+ (not even 25), like:

2x31 / 3x20 / 1x useless stat

I just go for more than this when trying to get some specific hp.

Anyway, I like how shitty the market is since it allow me to do things at cheap price.