Guide to farming Ditto's! [Kanto]

This is a guide to farming Ditto's easily. Ditto is one of the most unique Pokemon in the game as it can transform into their enemies Pokemon. The other use for Ditto is for breeding, which is extremely useful. You can also get into the Ditto trade market and sell Ditto's you catch. 

Requirements:

Must have at least gotten to the Elite 4.

(You can catch them before this, but a lot of stuff will be easier in this guide.)

A little bit of cash to create your Ditto Dummy.

A level 70+ main Pokemon (Cerulean Cave)

Surf HM (Cerulean Cave)

Creating a Ditto Dummy:

The idea behind this is to create the most useless Pokemon as far as Moveset.

I'm sure there's many Pokemon you can do this with, but the best I've found that's pretty common is Abra+

Another thing to note is you don't want a Pokemon like Kakuna because if they "struggle" it hurts you.

First you want to get an Abra or higher evolution that isn't worth anything as far as IV's/Nature.

They can be found pretty easily around Route 25. Mean Look helps capture them.

Now you want to change the Moveset to this:

1. Attract

Always get attract since Ditto is gender-less it will fail 100% of the time.

2. Sunny Day

This is a good pick since we will be using Marowak this won't affect us at all.

3. Rain Dance

Another great pick since it can be used multiple times and doesn't affect Marowak.

4. Calm Mind

This increases your Sp. Def & Sp. Attack, but since False Swipe is a normal move this doesn't matter.

Level 33 learned move. Don't level up if you don't have this yet, there are other options below.

5. Light Screen

This increases Sp. Def, since False Swipe is a normal move this doesn't matter.

Locations: Celadon Department Store/Vermillion

6. HM Flash

This decreases the accuracy of the enemy. This is a last resort move as this is the only move that is actually negative.

Location: Prof. Aide at least 10 Pokemon caught. Exit of Diglett Cave south of Route 2.

Getting the ability to lower health to 1 HP.

Next you want to get a Pokemon to False Swipe.

False Swipe is a move that will damage the enemy down to 1 HP without killing them.

Smeargle can make enemies Sleep and False Swipe, but he has a low encounter rate at the Altering Cave and IV's can be a pain.

Marowaks can be found easy for just False Swipe:

First you want to fly to the Elite 4 building and then go south.

Enter the cave at the bottom and just start looking for Marowak's to capture by the exit. 

Generally you want a Marowak with good Attack and Speed.

I try to get that one that has around 27+ Attack and 25+ Speed.

If the Marowak you capture doesn't have False Swipe you'll have to make it relearn it at the move tutor.

Have a Pokemon that can make enemies sleep.

You want to make sure you have a good Pokemon with a Sleep move if you aren't using a Smeargle.

Gengar with hypnosis is really good since he's so fast.

Gastly's can be found easily in Lavender Town Tower.

Supplies:

Plenty of Pokeballs

Your Ditto Dummy

A Pokemon that can False Swipe

A Pokemon that can make enemies sleep

Exp Share is extremely useful

Some Max Repels

An Escape Rope (Cerulean Cave)

A level 70+ Pokemon (Cerulean Cave)

A Pokemon with Surf HM (Cerulean Cave)

Ditto Locations:

Route 13 - Encounter rate: 5%

Route 14 - Encounter rate: 15%

(The little patch just south of the bird maze in the trees.)

Route 15 - Encounter rate: 5%

Cinnabar Mansion Basement - Encounter rate: 10%

(I would go over how to get to the basement, but there's no point since Route 14 is easier to get to and has a higher rate.)

Cerulean Cave - Encounter rate: 25%

This is by far the best method if you beat the game. You have to have all islands unlocked and did the sapphire and ruby gems.

To get to the Cerulean Cave Ditto room with the highest encounter rate you will want to use a Max Repel and use Surf until you get here:

[spoiler]

ixcjds.png

1g1v6v.png

1z6whew.png

6hubuv.png

23jlj51.png[/spoiler]

How to set up your party and catch Ditto:

The first thing you're going to want is your highest level Pokemon in the front of your party.

I encourage killing all other Pokemon instead of escaping since Exp Share can give a lot of Exp,

especially in Cerulean Cave.

Once you encounter a Ditto in battle switch to your Abra.

The Ditto will transform into him and then you can switch to your Marowak.

If your Marowak is only around level 50 or so and the Ditto is like level 67 you can do stronger attacks before doing False Swipe.

Once the Ditto is down to 1 HP switch to your Pokemon with sleep.

Make the Ditto sleep and keep throwing Pokeballs at it until you catch it. 

Congrats you are now a Ditto hunting master!

Edited by LilyRox

I don't know Hoenn. This is a guide for Kanto.

Yes, that works too. I only said Marowak because they're easier to capture.

Marowak catch rate: 9,8%

Smeargle catch rate: 5,9%

However... Ditto catch rate: 4,6%

So since this guide aims for you to catch a plethora of dittos, how hard is it to catch a smeargle.

Let me give this guide a shot:

How to Catch Ditto

Have a Level 100 Smeargle with Spore, False Swipe.

Turn 1: spore

Turn 2: false swipe (if ditto wakes up spore again next turn)

Turn 3 (or 4): Throw an ultra ball for a guaranteed catch

So since this guide aims for you to catch a plethora of dittos, how hard is it to catch a smeargle.

How to Catch Ditto

I was factoring in the 1% encounter rate + catch rate of Smeargle (Not to mention all the times you're going to trash Smeargle's because of bad IV's). Please don't flame my thread. Not all of us have a level 100 Smeargle. That's like saying "It's easy to buy a shiny all you need is 2m". This is a guide for the general public.

I mean just to get a taste of how well this method works. I've been doing it on my alt. and my highest Pokemon is my starter Blastoise at level 73. My Marowak is only level 50 and my sleeper Pokemon is Gastly at level 24. I would never be able to do this in the back of the cave vs level's 60's if I had a level 50 Smeargle and no Ditto Dummy. It's really a flawless method for catching Ditto's at lower levels. The great thing is even between Ditto fights my low levels are still getting a ton of exp because of Exp Share.

I was factoring in the 1% encounter rate + catch rate of Smeargle (Not to mention all the times you're going to trash Smeargle's because of bad IV's). Please don't flame my thread. Not all of us have a level 100 Smeargle. That's like saying "It's easy to buy a shiny all you need is 2m". This is a guide for the general public.

I mean just to get a taste of how well this method works. I've been doing it on my alt. and my highest Pokemon is my starter Blastoise at level 73. My Marowak is only level 50 and my sleeper Pokemon is Gastly at level 24. I would never be able to do this in the back of the cave vs level's 60's if I had a level 50 Smeargle and no Ditto Dummy. It's really a flawless method for catching Ditto's at lower levels. The great thing is even between Ditto fights my low levels are still getting a ton of exp because of Exp Share.

Where did I flame? I was just explaining why your thread is poor, just because the things you describe can be done way easier. You have 100% encounter rate for Smeargle in artisan cave, and the best place to catch dittos is the underground cave (forgot the actual name) in Hoenn.

Edit: You can take a Smeargle to level 100 in literally 3 or 4 island runs. It is NOT taking that long, and can be done passively in the daycare.

How to Catch Ditto

Actually you can switch turn 1 and turn 2 so you bring ditto down to 1 hp, then it turns into a smeargle and then spore, with no chance of ditto waking up. Catch rate is still the same 

• 2 weeks later...

Actually you can switch turn 1 and turn 2 so you bring ditto down to 1 hp, then it turns into a smeargle and then spore, with no chance of ditto waking up. Catch rate is still the same 

not anymore.

Fixed Transform copying base stats instead of actual stats.

Spore then swipe now

• 7 months later...
On 12/6/2015 at 7:38 PM, MirandaKun said:

not anymore.

Fixed Transform copying base stats instead of actual stats.

Spore then swipe now

Well I've always been doing swipe then spore much after that, don't usually have a problem, my smeargle has a quickclaw too. I'll try that method though