[Denied]Alternative to mutes and that WILL hurt even more (you don't have to ban that fast, money talks)

762081ea34c8921221e77be3e80fc7aa.png

I was trying to conceptualize this idea and how it can apply to PokeMMO. In real life, if you get charged with a DWI (Driving While Intoxicated), you can receive a fine. Why not apply this to PokeMMO? What made me think of this idea was when a shiny trader PMs a staff member insults and it is disturbing to hear this story from him. If you affect a shiny trader by his/her pocketbook, then they won't scoff their punishment. A starting fine can be based on 25% of the net worth the player currently has. It can move up, but for a shiny trader, this is a complete nightmare.

Mute + Fine = ~60% - 80% chance to be on good behaviour

Mute = 30% - 40% chance to be on good behaviour

Money does talk and I just don't understand why we don't do a combo of mutes and fines?

(If the player does not care about money, he/she can be hit with the ban hammer if the offence continues)

9dc2cec9ad61f6579e660837bc0773f7.png66e0cdcf6dc9beb9df21e8503318bb94.pngd6449b82d18474ebde9fbbdc809bb4c6.pngaa02ffa268e17dd79d9154bc4a6cc876.png

Edited by Bestfriends

There's nothing really wrong with the current system.  I believe punishments get greater the more offences a player has.  If a mute or temp ban isn't enough, it's unlikely that a small fine will do much more. 
On top of that, the real world example of DWI also has various other factors that make people want to avoid that kind of situation in the first place.(Things like criminal records, social repercussions, etc.) Things that carry more weight in the real world than they do here.
This system would also need to scale with the amount of wealth a player has, since richer players simply wont care if they get a small fine, and determining wealth is impossible since we have things like shinies and comps.  Also there will be some players who don't have any money, and they'll get off without a fine so this system only really punishes the middle class who have little enough money for a fine to matter, but not so little that they can just get like a 1 yen fine.
Also this would take money out of the game, and honestly that's not something we need right now imo.

mhh some mutes are not always as justified and if you were to get fined for 60% of your money for something you didnt intend too or didnt mean would make some people quite  + would give the community more things to hate on

If you feel that a mute or ban was not justified, report it to the ban appeals (SGMs can give a refund if mute/fine is not deemed appropriate).

I can honestly see where this idea is coming from though. 
In my youthful days of Runescaping I would often say stupid shit in the Varrock West Bank and get muted.  Eventually I'd get bored of standing around while muted, so I'd go off and do something like kill a boss or skill.  After a while I stopped caring when I got muted, but then my mutes racked up and I started to see that my account was getting closer to a more serious punishment.  If they fined me 100k every time I got muted, I probably only would have done it 2-3 times. 
I still think that a mute is plenty to do the job here though, and there are still flaws with the suggestion you proposed that make it not worth implementing.

Edit:
Then again this is an invalid example since in Runescape it was either socialize or train skills/boss/do other things, whereas in PokeMMO socializing is one of the main things that makes it fun and you can do that anywhere.  That being said, mutes carry more weight here and strengthen my argument that a mute is enough

Edited by DaftKitteh

There's nothing really wrong with the current system.  I believe punishments get greater the more offences a player has.  If a mute or temp ban isn't enough, it's unlikely that a small fine will do much more. 
On top of that, the real world example of DWI also has various other factors that make people want to avoid that kind of situation in the first place.(Things like criminal records, social repercussions, etc.) Things that carry more weight in the real world than they do here.
This system would also need to scale with the amount of wealth a player has, since richer players simply wont care if they get a small fine, and determining wealth is impossible since we have things like shinies and comps.  Also there will be some players who don't have any money, and they'll get off without a fine so this system only really punishes the middle class who have little enough money for a fine to matter, but not so little that they can just get like a 1 yen fine.
Also this would take money out of the game, and honestly that's not something we need right now imo.

Here is what you do, you counter the shiny trader's tactics. Make him/her pay the fine or otherwise take away special privileges a shiny trader takes for granted like showing off their toys in Vermillion. Kill that privilege until the fine is paid. That goes for trolls who have $0 as well. If the fine is 30k for example, they should pay day or do things to get the money and simply pay it off like you do with a ticket. If the fine increases, then the player would have to waste time grinding until he/she earns the money to pay the fine. Special privileges can include: 1. locking up the daycare man NPC. 2. Showing off toys in Vermillion. 3. Whispering someone. 4. The pleasure of seeing the chat systems. etc.

That goes for trolls who have $0 as well. If the fine is 30k for example, they should pay day or do things to get the money and simply pay it off like you do with a ticket. If the fine increases, then the player would have to waste time grinding

Here's where I see a huge flaw. 

New users typically don't read over the rules.  Hell I had never even read them until I joined staff and needed to know them(Mind you I never got a mute before either, so take what you will from this) and so things like trading in the wrong channel, and other rules, the player may simply not know when they've just started the game.  The last thing you want new players to feel like when playing your game is "Shit, now I have to pay off this fine and I can't even afford Pokeballs!".  This is a good way to kill off a new players interest. 

This could be avoided if the fine was only used when the user hits a higher number of offences, but then again I think the threat of having your account temporarily banned, or permanently closed(And losing everything) is a much scarier punishment than having to shell out a few bucks. 

its amazing how often you can bring runescape up

also the pictures in OP cracks me up

Runescape is a convenient bridge to make connections since most people have had experienced with it and it allows for easier understanding of concepts. 
Or at least that's my excuse for using it so much. 
In reality it's the only MMO I've played for more than a week, and it's good for stealing ideas from :^)