Make trades possible only when the player recieves the third badge

Bestfriends

Question

All those people who want to spoil newbs' experience in Kanto by giving them a lv 3 something with great moves to wipe out the story. We need a new system to prevent players from trading newbs or our mains trading our alts. It kills the game play and I know that the staff are extremely altaphopic (hey I am kind of altaphoic as well, I see rich players story grinding all over the place [for more cash]....), so I figured this would be a perfect idea to pitch and would be a step to balancing the economy.

Kaynine had an excellent argument that I cannot rebut. I want newbs to have the MMO experience, so I take back this suggestion (as well as WinterBrah [I love the feeling of making a newb's day]).

Edited by Bestfriends

18 answers to this question

I agree with your suggestion. We need to complete the story like in the official versions.

But they're still completing the story. Even in the official games, couldn't friends trade you pokemon? The story is there for people who want to complete it, but for those who just want to get to breeding and what not, it's just a barrier.

EDIT: And the first gym is incredibly easy, with just your starter alone tbh. They could still get "game breaking" pokemon right after that initial, what, 30 minutes? Brock is a scrub.

Edited by Champlooo

All those people who want to spoil newbs' experience in Kanto by giving them a lv 3 something with great moves to wipe out the story. We need a new system to prevent players from trading newbs or our mains trading our alts. It kills the game play and I know that the staff are extremely altaphopic (hey I am kind of altaphoic as well, I see rich players story grinding all over the place [for more cash]....), so I figured this would be a perfect idea to pitch and would be a step to balancing the economy.

How is players giving Pokemon away a problem? Furthermore, how does a new player getting a good Pokemon from another player before they have the 1st badge destroy their experience?

How is players giving Pokemon away a problem? Furthermore, how does a new player getting a good Pokemon from another player before they have the 1st badge destroy their experience?

Lets say that you as a new player recieves a bulbasaur and all the sudden, BAM DoubleJ arrives to Pallet Town with a free UTs he doesn't want that has moves like surf/thunderbolt/psychic/ice beam (Lapras or Staryu) as well as a cubone with Earthquake/Rockslide/Thunderpunch/Substitute. Your team starts to revolve around this one team and you don't get the feeling of actually catching pokemon and doing the work yourself to become the champ.

Starmie (with that moveset) can easily handle the following Gym leaders:

Kanto:

Brock

Misty

Erica

Koga

Blaine

Giovanni

Hoenn:

Roxanne

Brawley

Falnnery

Winona

Juan

Marawak (with that moveset) can easily handle these following gym leaders:

Kanto:

(Misty is too fast for Marawak to T-punch)

Lt. Surge

Koga

Blaine

Hoenn:

Roxanne

Wattson

Falnnery

Winona (as long as Tropius is knocked out)

Edited by Bestfriends

Gotta +1 champloo's view where people will start bringing traded pokemon immediately after the 1st gym.

It's just a minor hindrance.

I think the better approach to nerfing altruns is nerfing what you get out of them -- which has already been done countless times -- moreso than make it 15 mins longer to complete.

I think we were in a good spot in that sense until they made rare items currency for tutors, that just might be easier to get via alting than pickup'ing. (silk scarf etc).

But yeah, limiting trading doesn't really solve a problem, so I can't support it.

I would say the majority have already finished the storyline on handhelds, so I feel this wouldn't actually do anything to their gamplay experience as they might want to get through the storyline so they can experience the MMO feel of this game.

Infact, trading items at any level does give it that MMO feel which it is the whole point.

I would say the majority have already finished the storyline on handhelds, so I feel this wouldn't actually do anything to their gamplay experience as they might want to get through the storyline so they can experience the MMO feel of this game.

Infact, trading items at any level does give it that MMO feel which it is the whole point.

I guess I am the first to admit on this suggestion that I am wrong for making a silly suggestion. Kaynine had an excellent argument, I want newbs to experience the feel of a MMO.

Lets say that you as a new player recieves a bulbasaur and all the sudden, BAM DoubleJ arrives to Pallet Town with a free UTs he doesn't want that has moves like surf/thunderbolt/psychic/ice beam (Lapras or Staryu) as well as a cubone with Earthquake/Rockslide/Thunderpunch/Substitute. Your team starts to revolve around this one team and you don't get the feeling of actually catching pokemon and doing the work yourself to become the champ.

This does not create a problem in any way, shape, or form. If a player decides to never go out to capture Pokemon after receiving a free Pokemon, then that is their choice to do so. Furthermore, just because the Pokemon was given to them early on, that does not mean they do not have to level that Pokemon up. They still have to grind the levels, and they will still capture more Pokemon. Additionally, Pokemon that are being given out for free are generally rejects from breeding, bad IVs/nature/ability/etc. Very rarely does anyone just hand a new player a fully competitive Pokemon from the get go. So even in your cases above, they may have a Staryu/Starmie with a decent moveset, but that doesn't mean that it is going to instantly sweep everything in its path.

it wasnt silly at all and i see where u were wanting to get, but there were more cons then pro's for this.

So GeneralVenican, I would like to ask, how do you like Eggplant's proposal?

Gotta +1 champloo's view where people will start bringing traded pokemon immediately after the 1st gym.

It's just a minor hindrance.

I think the better approach to nerfing altruns is nerfing what you get out of them -- which has already been done countless times -- moreso than make it 15 mins longer to complete.

I think we were in a good spot in that sense until they made rare items currency for tutors, that just might be easier to get via alting than pickup'ing. (silk scarf etc).

But yeah, limiting trading doesn't really solve a problem, so I can't support it.

I guess I am the first to admit on this suggestion that I am wrong for making a silly suggestion. Kaynine had an excellent argument, I want newbs to experience the feel of a MMO.

I like the fact you take other opinions and you are willing to change your own based on what other said, there are a lot of stubborn people that wouldn't do that, so I must give you respect there. I think people can learn something from this when creating their own suggestion.

I like the fact you take other opinions and you are willing to change your own based on what other said, there are a lot of stubborn people that wouldn't do that, so I must give you respect there. I think people can learn something from this when creating their own suggestion.

This is the purpose of being a PokeMMO news reporter, looking at other points of view on a topic. FOX News seeking mixed points of views on political topics is up for argument, but I think FOX does because they have Democrats, Republicans, and Independents on their programming. This is one of the reasons why I have the FOX logo as an avatar for Forums.

Edited by Bestfriends

So GeneralVenican, I would like to ask, how do you like Eggplant's proposal?

maybe nerfing them... MAYBE. but still think this will be a momentarily solution... not that alt running is what everyone is doing, or that it is ruining gameplay, but its something people need to "finish their breed" or "buy their own comp of the tard trade chat market". And its more fun in this then paydaying the EXACLT same NPCs every 6h

Since I feel like the thread somewhat aims at me cuz I got countless alts, I will make a short response before someone catches me stealing the toilet wifi.

Alts were always my main source of income. Not because I like going through storyline (which I actually do) but because of the profit I am making out of them In a short timespan. Do not blame the alts. We are left without choice. How did you intend to get storyline items. Tms and pp ups in the past? Things did not change much. Alts yearn insane profit compared to all other forms of getting funds and most of updates only make them more profitable although I don't feel like that is the intention.

I got a very simple and a very good solution of diminishing the alt power but... why would I even share it? =)

Since I feel like the thread somewhat aims at me cuz I got countless alts, I will make a short response before someone catches me stealing the toilet wifi.

Alts were always my main source of income. Not because I like going through storyline (which I actually do) but because of the profit I am making out of them In a short timespan. Do not blame the alts. We are left without choice. How did you intend to get storyline items. Tms and pp ups in the past? Things did not change much. Alts yearn insane profit compared to all other forms of getting funds and most of updates only make them more profitable although I don't feel like that is the intention.

I got a very simple and a very good solution of diminishing the alt power but... why would I even share it? =)

Whenever i give a random low level poke like bagon/beldum/dratini/larvitar etc.. to a new player it literally makes their day, and before they get caught up in the whole competitive extreme grinding fiesta thats probably the happiest they will get while playing this game.

4F, I am not targeting you. There are some people who run "secret" alts to generate income. I mean Kaynine has a point when he mentions giving pokes to newbs.

Winter, you and Kaynine make excellent points, hence the reason why I am backing down on my idea (of banning newbs from having foreign pokemon). I do want to do something about alts however. Make it more painful to get through the story by making it a complete adventure to find HMs. The cut guy can ask you to find his lost little girl in Berry Forrest, then give you cut. I am trying to think of more painful things for alts, but won't effect the newb's experience because he/she thinks it is creative, but for a person running an alt, it would be a complete nightmare.