Private Matches

Vaeldras

Question

9 answers to this question

There was a private bracket once, does that essentially do the same thing?

j/w.  Can't scout if you don't know who you are fighting next, right?

That of course would only be for tournaments, scouting in vermillion wouldn't be effected by it.  Not sure how I feel as a whole about this.  I see some great positives but it also kills spectating for those who don't do it for scouting reasons and just enjoy watching matches.

it took me like 2 minutes to find that 'hidden' bracket twice.

and obviously there is a point where bigger teams get the advantage of being able to scout all the people left in the tourney. so yes, you can scout if you don't know. 

Private Matches are a solid idea though.

That of course would only be for tournaments, scouting in vermillion wouldn't be effected by it.  Not sure how I feel as a whole about this.  I see some great positives but it also kills spectating for those who don't do it for scouting reasons and just enjoy watching matches.

Some people say that AFKing in Verm is bad. I am one of those examples. People need to explore their horizons and not worry about, "oh I have to go to the bathroom, so I will spectate this one match." How about you go offlline temporarily and then go to the bathroom. Its irritating for me to PM someone and they are spectating a battle so they don't get counted as AFK. Maybe if we can put a lock and prevent people from spectating, maybe we can see more action in the game. When I log in the game for example, I love logging into the Battle Frontier, I see little to no activity. It seems like I own the place, little people inhabit this place. (I guess I am kind of expanding this idea, but you kind of see my point. Have a spectate lock in Verm (this is the only city I want to be locked [or the successor of Vermillion as a "center city"]).

Edited by Bestfriends

A problem I see with this is that maybe the person you are battling DOES want someone to spectate the battle (their friends or whatever) while you may not.

It's just an option, you could always disable the "private match" thing and have a regular match.

Or you could even make a list of people who can spectate the match before sending the request (maybe by linking?).

Edit: Another option would be having a "friend only" button

Edited by Vaeldras

Yo, some people complain about scouting during tournaments, while some avoid battling in verm for the same reason.

What if we had an extra option that prevents anyone from spectating your matches?

Can't see anything wrong with this, we get more battles in general and people would stop complain about scouting

I think the idea is great.
The main problem I can see is Official/Unofficial events.  To elaborate, a lot of people show up to events just to watch.  With a 'Private Battle' system in place, all these people are screwed so the crowds for official events would probably consist of only people battling and their teamates.  On top of that, the hosts and refs of both official and unofficial events need to spectate a match to see if all the clauses are correct and ensure nobodies doing anything cheeky. 
I suppose that the host could enforce 'Private Mode Off' which would fix this though, in which case I really support this suggestion. 
It's happened to me in the past that I would battle someone in vermilion, win or lose, then a guy would challenge me not long after with a perfect counter team.  Scouting, as pointed out, discourages battling for practice in populated areas like Vermilion, and PvP is one of our most fun pieces of gameplay. 

I do think that when this private mode is turned on, the ball above somebodies head should be a different color(So that you don't have to click 10 different people at random until you find a match you can spectate).  I'd also worry that finding a battle to watch for entertainment in Vermilion would become harder.

Edit:
btw I haven't read the full thread yet.  I just woke up and need a shower first

Edited by DaftKitteh

A problem I see with this is that maybe the person you are battling DOES want someone to spectate the battle (their friends or whatever) while you may not.

Here is another reason why i support this. Throughout comp battles in officals, it seems to me that experienced comp battlers complain about couching. Why not block the couch from spectating by putting another option called "YouTuber spectate only." PokeMMO can put out a qualification process to become a certified YouTuber of PokeMMO. Once you are a certified YTber or staff member, you have the right to spectate a match while the public cannot. This completely kills the couching factor and it puts in a more "fair fight." If a YouTuber breaks code and reveals a team while the official is still taking place, he/she can be revoked of their PokeMMO YouTube privileges for a month and if they continue, they will be revoked from YouTube entirely.

(I'll expand on this in my YouTuber spectate program Suggestion = https://forums.pokemmo.eu/index.php?/topic/58584-the-permitted-spectate-option-an-anti-couching-and-anti-scouting-prospective/#entry1164703)

Edited by Bestfriends

I think the idea is great.
The main problem I can see is Official/Unofficial events.  To elaborate, a lot of people show up to events just to watch.  With a 'Private Battle' system in place, all these people are screwed so the crowds for official events would probably consist of only people battling and their teamates.  On top of that, the hosts and refs of both official and unofficial events need to spectate a match to see if all the clauses are correct and ensure nobodies doing anything cheeky. 
I suppose that the host could enforce 'Private Mode Off' which would fix this though, in which case I really support this suggestion. 
It's happened to me in the past that I would battle someone in vermilion, win or lose, then a guy would challenge me not long after with a perfect counter team.  Scouting, as pointed out, discourages battling for practice in populated areas like Vermilion, and PvP is one of our most fun pieces of gameplay. 

I do think that when this private mode is turned on, the ball above somebodies head should be a different color(So that you don't have to click 10 different people at random until you find a match you can spectate).  I'd also worry that finding a battle to watch for entertainment in Vermilion would become harder.

Edit:
btw I haven't read the full thread yet.  I just woke up and need a shower first

A "friend and teammates" only option would fix that.

Most people come to see how their teammates are doing anyway, so that would be nice.

It's really just to have more options, the host of the tournament can always decide what fits better