[Tutorial] Install custom soundfonts!

Has this been done before? I've tried searching all over but haven't found anything about it. Anyway, here's the tutorial. (The video goes more in depth as to what not to do when downloading soundfonts, excuse my tired slurred speech haha)

https://youtu.be/r9hux3wEFYs

In a basic sense a new soundfont(pack) will entirely change the way the game's midi music sounds.

Basic Tutorial:
Step 1. Open your PokeMMO game folder

Step 2. Open the "cache" folder
Step 3. Delete or remove "0.sf2" and "1.sf2"
Step 4. Find a nice soundfont online (make sure it's a pack, not one instrument, and the instruments are in the correct order) (BELOW 40MB on AVERAGE COMPUTERS)
Step 5. Download the soundfont
Step 6. Extract it or drag it into the now empty "cache" folder
Step 7. Rename it to "0.sf2", copy the now renamed soundfont, and paste it in the same folder.
Step 6. Rename the copy to "1.sf2"
Step 8. Make sure you have two copies of the same soundfont in the folder with the previously stated names
Step 9. Start the game
Step 10. Download a different soundfont if the one you got wasn't pleasing

Share the names of any soundfonts you've found work well with the music in this game! (Don't directly link as much of it is copyrighted material)

do the sound fonts have to be from Pokemon? and also, can you recommend a website, or what to look up to find the sound fonts? thanks 

edit: also do you know how to make your own soundfont? like from a midi or so? or just mp3 to soundfont, is that possible?

Edited by GoldenSunIsaac

do the sound fonts have to be from Pokemon? and also, can you recommend a website, or what to look up to find the sound fonts? thanks 

edit: also do you know how to make your own soundfont? like from a midi or so? or just mp3 to soundfont, is that possible?

No, the soundfonts can be anything as long as they are in made in the standard order, it doesn't have to be from Pokemon, or from any game at all in that case
I don't have a specific site I go to, but you can search things like "nds soundfonts" or "snes soundfonts" or "high quality soundfonts" etc and find quite a few nice results

Also, making soundfonts is a long tedious process, you need to sample hundreds of instruments in order to do so. MIDIs are actually just basically a text file that uses a soundfont in order to make noise, without a soundfont midis don't do anything, and I don't believe MP3 to soundfont is possible

From Wikipedia:

"MIDI files in themselves don't contain any sounds, rather they contain only instructions to render them. To render such files, sample-based MIDI synthesizers use recordings of instruments and sounds stored in a file or ROM chip. SoundFont-compatible synthesizers allow users to use SoundFont banks with custom samples to render their music.

A SoundFont bank contains base samples in PCM format (similar to WAV files) that are mapped to sections on a musical keyboard. A SoundFont bank also contains other music synthesis parameters such as loops, vibrato effect, and velocity-sensitive volume changing.

SoundFont banks can conform to standard sound sets such as General MIDI, or use other wholly custom sound-set definitions."

Edited by Remorse
  • 6 months later...