PSL Season 4 General (Smack Talk) Thread

Considering to actually have both ADV and DPP.

Honestly, I don't think ADV is worth having at all. I get that pre-phys special split is "throwback" for us - but honestly looking back, I'm just really glad we made the switch and left behind those outdated mechanics. Not a tier I enjoy playing, or spectating for that matter. I also would venture a guess that ADV would have the smallest player pool.

DPP on the other hand is a blast - it shows you what our psuedo-gen 4 meta will look like with all the gen 4 goodies available to us. Will it happen this lifetime? I'm not a seer. But we can dream, right?

So will the player auctions be Live or Forums?

as a player, I found Forums more entertaining but as a manager the Live auction was hella fun and id love to do that again.

especially if I get to see TJ throw 20K at more people

Exactly my thoughts. I'm still thinking about it but I'm more inclined to go with Forum auction. I found it really odd we were able to find a time to do the live auction that quickly. I guess it was easier to keep a track of everything when it was 1 player at a time while forum auction is kinda a mess. Still I'm inclined to take that path. 

Actually, I'll say it highly depends of where are our managers from. I guess we could try to do live auction schedule right after managers are picked. If it seems unlikely or hard to get everyone online for multiple hours (assuming everyone are active), then I'll definitely go with Forum auction. By the time players have been registered this decision should be made.

First and foremost, DPP OU and VGC please. While it would be nice to show the nubs how absolutely nasty Tyranitar is, I feel DPP is a really balanced and enjoyable format that takes true skill. Also, VGC is a good representation of the current competitive world of Pokemon outside of what we typically know (Showdown and PokeMMO), so it's a good place to develop ourselves.

In regards to the Draft, I would highly suggest the TS Live Auction. It would really save everyone a lot of time and energy, especially yourself Orange. Managing every bid over the period of a week would be so taxing and I can imagine errors will be made.

As for the overall structure of the PSL, I think we should have only one match per tier, aside from OU which can have two to avoid any ties, and keep the teams smaller than before. This might encourage players to be more committed and also create more competition for players vying to be drafted.

2 OU

1 UU

1 NU

1 Doubles

1 DPP (or ADV)

1 VGC (or ORAS)

Those are my thoughts anyway; 8 managers with 56 active players. Maybe 2 subs per team. Oh and please set a cap on the number of players you can draft, at least until the mid-season auction. 

will we see any revision to the OP refund that you get for buying shit players that leave the game or we do just hope the attention whores with massive egos don't wait until midseason to join?

both are fair for their own reasons I suppose. On one hand you get punished for buying unreliable players, on the other you don't get shafted because a player was struck by lightning etc.

Nvm misread, JJ. 7 players on teams of 8 might sound more reasonable, though. I still want to make sure matches are done by playing and that's why I like 6, to be fair. I feel like in this game it's more common people play multiple tiers so there's not that huge amount of OU players compared to NU, for example.

will we see any revision to the OP refund that you get for buying shit players that leave the game or we do just hope the attention uguus with massive egos don't wait until midseason to join?

both are fair for their own reasons I suppose. On one hand you get punished for buying unreliable players, on the other you don't get shafted because a player was struck by lightning etc.

I definitely don't want to happen what happened last season but I don't know what would be the best way to prevent that from happening.

Edit: I earlied the starting time by almost a month. I thought of starting the season after Christmas holidays have ended but we would have to wait really long. Instead I decided to utilize this week as an extra preparation week and Midseason auction week. If a manager absolutely can't reach internet at all may that manager outsource the auction to someone of in their team, the captain for example.

Manager signups would be starting 2th of November initially.

Edited by OrangeManiac

the 50% refund sounded nice, in the words of hannah montana it gives you "the best of both worlds", a penalty for unreliable players but also not getting completely boned by things out of your control

Yeah I can definitely see the reasoning behind this but then again a manager shouldn't be punished if a player is being an ass to them and not wanting to play even despite having a good reputation. Still I'm inclined to go with this, whoever player would do that deserves to look bad.