[IPS] PokeMMO: 8-Bit Edition (First version out now!)

So was mine, but I understand the reality of the situation. If you want it so badly, why don't you help so things can get done faster?

I'd love to in any way that I can, but I'm afraid I'm a tad inexperienced with sprite replacement. The best I could possibly do would be ripping.

I'd love to in any way that I can, but I'm afraid I'm a tad inexperienced with sprite replacement. The best I could possibly do would be ripping.

-points at massive sprite replacement tutorial I put up today in the customization forum-

cough cough :D The trainers may need adding...

And yeah, Silver version was my favorite.

-points at massive sprite replacement tutorial I put up today in the customization forum-

cough cough :D The trainers may need adding...

And yeah, Silver version was my favorite.

I was actually just reading that. I'll see if I can get a few trainers, then. Any particular format you'd like them in?

They just have to be the ones from G/S/C, with the colors they had then. It won't be hard, you just have to look at the sprite in NSE, and do the "click and drag" palette edit, export the trainer from NSE and then open it in Gimp, then copy the sprite from Paint into Gimp. Just make sure the background color stays the same as it was on the original sprite, that's the transparency. After that just save the Gimp file and import it back into NSE :)

They just have to be the ones from G/S/C, with the colors they had then. It won't be hard, you just have to look at the sprite in NSE, and do the "click and drag" palette edit, export the trainer from NSE and then open it in Gimp, then copy the sprite from Paint into Gimp. Just make sure the background color stays the same as it was on the original sprite, that's the transparency. After that just save the Gimp file and import it back into NSE :)

I attempted to import the game into NSE, and it wouldn't load the ROM at all. So instead I just ran VBA at 1x size and screencapped a few of the sprites, then removed the white in gimp and replaced it with the teal background color, then resized the sprite to fit the center of the 64x64 frame. Something like this:

dhQos.png

I attempted to import the game into NSE, and it wouldn't load the ROM at all. So instead I just ran VBA at 1x size and screencapped a few of the sprites, then removed the white in gimp and replaced it with the teal background color, then resized the sprite to fit the center of the 64x64 frame. Something like this:

dhQos.png

Are you using a completely untouched Fire Red rom?

You haven't applied any patches to it though either, have you? Anyways, if it still doesn't load, I don't know what to say...

No, haven't done anything. It's probably something I messed up on my end, I'll have to look more into it later. For now I'll just see about ripping from Crystal.

I can take care of the trainers. The hack will be done so just be patient please.

Mobius how are you with the sprites? I noticed some stray pixels on Charizard and the colors on the front Charmeleons look off.

Also some of the colors look faded. I think you're ripping using gameboy colors instead of real colors. Real colors look a lot better (which is what I'm also using for the maps)

Otherwise good job.

I can take care of the trainers. The hack will be done so just be patient please.

Mobius how are you with the sprites? I noticed some stray pixels on Charizard and the colors on the front Charmeleons look off.

Also some of the colors look faded. I think you're ripping using gameboy colors instead of real colors. Real colors look a lot better (which is what I'm also using for the maps)

Otherwise good job.

I've been using the Pokemon Elite 2000 sprites because they have the sprites and backsprites >.>; I think I'm seeing now what the issue was. I thought it was a little bit odd that the backsprites had different colors from the regular battle sprites from that site, turns out all of their regular front sprites have distorted color. Luckily as I've been working on setting up the mini sprites (up to like 70 right now) I didn't get past Charizard and that all can be fixed with ease... but it will add an extra minute or so per sprite for completion time.

f2inip.png

Much better, yeah? :D

We're going to need a custom UI for this as well for that real GBC feel.

mrja1.png

Dat beauty.

All the way to Mew with the minis, but that screenshot was taken inside my PokeMMO account, and clearly I haven't seen any legendaries :D

It may be a pain in the ass to some people in the boxes, though... I personally won't care, the novelty of playing 8bit more than makes up for me having the right click my pokemon. :D

27ya1d0.png

euen8h.png

I have an idea. All of the minipics shouldn't all be red. For example Bulbasaur's would be Green, Squirtle's would be blue, Charizard would be Red and Dragonite would be orange. Then it would be easier to tell which Pokemon is which.

I agree, I was thinking on that earlier, but as it stands right now I'm at #229 and there are only 3 palettes for the minis, right now I'm just focused on getting them into the game so the correct mini corresponds to each pokemon. I or someone else can edit the colors later though.

(which, I might add, is a bit of a pain, because since the start I've had to manually hack a pokemon crystal save to give myself one of each pokemon to make sure I'm giving it the correct icon lol.)

EDIT: I got to Celebi, instead of adding 3rd gen or the pokemon battle sprites, I've started my way up from the bottom editing the colors of the minis. This should only take me another... day or so, considering sleep and time where I can't be online, to get all the way back up to Celebi :)