[IPS] PokeMMO: 8-Bit Edition (First version out now!)

You made the Mewtwo Strikes Back hack?! I loved that hack, but as I slowly drifted away from hacking and the PokeCommunity forums I never played any updated versions :(

Yeah, I switched it to RPG Maker XP, it was doing much better on that new system, but my computer with the project files is dead. I'm still interested in either hacking or pokemon game dev though, it's nice to see someone who actually recognizes my work for once lol...

Anyways, KBM, if you feel you'd like some help with spriting or anything like that, just send me a message. I'll continue to follow the progress of this, I love what you're doing here. Also, I'm sure PokeCommunity will love you THIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIS much more after this is completed. Think of the possibilities for GSC hacks done in Fire Red :)

Overlooked that, thanks for pointing it out. Noted and fixed for all of the outdoor maps. (I have to still alter that cut tree sprite. In GSC it was part of the actual map in FRLG it's an overworld sprite instead)

I know that, I still have the most viewed thread in the scrapbox to date, but don't take the example of my work then to as it is now.

Another thing I realized is that the map headers are all client or server side (Which makes sense, just like the collision) but that data contains the tileset number called. So I'll have to overwrite all the cave tilesets with the GSC one (Except Icefall cave will use the ice path tileset)

That sounds like a good idea to me.

I searched the word "girl" in the 3 pages, and after not finding it nor seeing 8-bit gals in the screenshots, I think you could use the girl sprite from Pokemon Crystal. If im not wrong it was the first game with a female character to play.

That is what I'm planning to do, just havent gotten around to it yet.

I know that, I still have the most viewed thread in the scrapbox to date, but don't take the example of my work then to as it is now.

Great to see other ROM Hackers around. And that note about the cut tree wasn't just for you, but anyone who wouldn't understand why that wasn't downgraded at the time like the map tiles. If you want to help with production somehow just let me know, we can make this a somewhat collaborative project between ROM hackers. Speaking of collaborative...

Anyways, KBM, if you feel you'd like some help with spriting or anything like that, just send me a message. I'll continue to follow the progress of this, I love what you're doing here. Also, I'm sure PokeCommunity will love you THIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIS much more after this is completed. Think of the possibilities for GSC hacks done in Fire Red :)

I was considering using some of Pokemon Prism's sprites (Don't worry they have been overhauled since the last release), but I might give you a list later on of some I'll need. Thanks for offering to help.

As for the music, do you know if the client reading the music data from the ROM and playing it, or are the midis using Fire Red's instruments embedded into the client?

I can verfify that the client is using the rom's music, because I tested the music hack of New Bark Town I put in. I didn't use the correct voice groups(that can be fixed with hex, but I'm not so good with hex editing), I found out when it was in Fire Red itself, but it seems the client has it's own way of reading the midis with a different set of instruments than used by the GBA.

I can verfify that the client is using the rom's music, because I tested the music hack of New Bark Town I put in. I didn't use the correct voice groups(that can be fixed with hex, but I'm not so good with hex editing), I found out when it was in Fire Red itself, but it seems the client has it's own way of reading the midis with a different set of instruments than used by the GBA.

That's pretty cool. Well if you can make some G/S/C 8-bit music I'll include it for sure..

No doubt there will be Lapras Surfing if he's trying to change everything to GBC style :)

EDIT: In fact, there's a tutorial on that right here:

http://www.pokecommu...ad.php?t=182417

@KBM:

As you may be able to see from my two threads here in the customization forum, I've gotten quite reacquainted with editing sprites and palettes. I'd like to offer to start a patch from a fresh fire red rom where I'd add some of the pokemon sprites from Gold version in with their respective palettes, shinies and mini sprites included.

I have a pokemon save file editor, so finding which mini sprite belongs to whom won't be diffifult until 3rd generation pokemon are being dealt with, in which case we may just have to make some new ones up.

Here's showing what I'm talking about:

2eqcaog.png

No doubt there will be Lapras Surfing if he's trying to change everything to GBC style :)

EDIT: In fact, there's a tutorial on that right here:

http://www.pokecommu...ad.php?t=182417

@KBM:

As you may be able to see from my two threads here in the customization forum, I've gotten quite reacquainted with editing sprites and palettes. I'd like to offer to start a patch from a fresh fire red rom where I'd add some of the pokemon sprites from Gold version in with their respective palettes, shinies and mini sprites included.

I have a pokemon save file editor, so finding which mini sprite belongs to whom won't be diffifult until 3rd generation pokemon are being dealt with, in which case we may just have to make some new ones up.

Very cool. You can work on that while I work on the maps. Would you mind posting your daily progress so we can keep everyone updated at how far this project has gone?

Absolutely. By the way, I just started a thread on PC, waiting for a mod to approve it (it may not get that far) asking for rom hackers to move this way, I'm shocked at how few results PokeCommunity's search engine pulls up when you type in PokeMMO... and most of the results are from different PokeMMOs from times past.

But yeah, my goal is to get to 50 pokemon by Friday morning, let's see if I can exceed that, eh? :)

Wow wtf... an hour and a half is how long it took me to make 6 of these? :D Well I guess we've got a long road ahead of us... lucky for you guys I have no life right now.

Progress thus far.

245xcn8.png

What's that single pixel off to the right of Venasaur's foot?