[IPS] PokeMMO: 8-Bit Edition (First version out now!)

I'm going to try to work on a program this weekend to convert the Gameboy overworld sprite formats to the format that GBA uses. So I won't have to replace all of the sprites one by one. (There's over 100 sprites with multiple frames which would take to damn long) Just copy/pasting hex that my program converts :)

I did put in the Hiro sprite. I'll post some screenshots when I get home tonight. The alternative player colors work with the sprite as well.

I did put in the Hiro sprite. I'll post some screenshots when I get home tonight. The alternative player colors work with the sprite as well.

Sweet, can't wait! With Crystal being, like, my most played game of all time (3 restarts with full dexes *Cough* without Celebi (damned cheatcodeless dignity) *Cough* and countless numbers without full dexes) this is something I'm almost looking forward to more than the updated graphics patch.

I'm going to try to work on a program this weekend to convert the Gameboy overworld sprite formats to the format that GBA uses. So I won't have to replace all of the sprites one by one. (There's over 100 sprites with multiple frames which would take to damn long) Just copy/pasting hex that my program converts :)

Sounds like this would be a really useful tool for conversions! Can't wait to see how it works out.

Wouldn't it be better to not use Heart Gold at all, considering that with the Heart Gold/Soul Silver rom installed it overwrites the pokemon battle sprites? I know I'd personally play with your patch without the NDS rom for the nostalgia factor. By the way, I'm an old rom hacker. If you need any help with anything, please, let me know what I can do.

Very old video of a hack of mine:

EDIT: I'm refreshing my Fire Red music hacking skills. I'm attempting to replace some of the Fire Red music with GSC music.

Here's how the male sprites look like in game (Surfing animation not done). I'll be working on the sprite overworld conversion program this weekend. I'll probably have to hack Heart Gold/Soul Silver to use G/S/C styled overworld Pokemon sprites.

344y4nd.png

Not bad. But kinda weird having a colored mouth lol.

Not bad. But kinda weird having a colored mouth lol.

Do you think it would be better if the mouth was colored black instead of the selected color? The mouth is the same color as the player's clothes in GSC too.

Wouldn't it be better to not use Heart Gold at all, considering that with the Heart Gold/Soul Silver rom installed it overwrites the pokemon battle sprites? I know I'd personally play with your patch without the NDS rom for the nostalgia factor. By the way, I'm an old rom hacker. If you need any help with anything, please, let me know what I can do.

EDIT: I'm refreshing my Fire Red music hacking skills. I'm attempting to replace some of the Fire Red music with GSC music.

I don't have anything in mind for right now, but thanks. I finished fixing up all of the outdoor maps to look Gen II like tonight (Just the cities, towns, routes, island towns and island routes). All of that and the insertion of that sprite took a total of 4-5 hours iirc. I've been ROM hacking for a while so I feel pretty confident. I have one completed Gen I hack out (Pokemon Brown) and a Gen II hack currently in production (Pokemon Prism) if you want to see some of my other hacking works.

Do you think it would be better if the mouth was colored black instead of the selected color? The mouth is the same color as the player's clothes in GSC too.

I just edited your screenshot in MS Paint to see how it would look with black mouths, and it looks too weird like that. In the original games, the mouth was an off color. It's just the same as when you're playing Red/Blue and colors change, that's how it was, I don't think you should alter it

EDIT: Whoah wait what, you're Koolboyman?! It's an honor to finally meet you, you're pretty famous in the rom hacking scene! I'm Meowth on Pokecommunity for the record.

Also as an update, it took me two hours but I successfully put the New Bark Town theme into fire red. Once you have more work done, might we be able to talk about replacing the music with classic music maybe? I still have some things to work out (as I'm sure you know, GBA music hacking is VERY VERY difficult, far more than any graphics hacks because the tools(like sappy) are not very compatible with Windows if you mess any little thing up) like getting the correct sounds in for each midi voice group, but I'd like to help you with this project in any way I can.

might we be able to talk about replacing the music with classic music maybe? I still have some things to work out (as I'm sure you know, GBA music hacking is VERY VERY difficult, far more than any graphics hacks because the tools(like sappy) are not very compatible with Windows if you mess any little thing up) like getting the correct sounds in for each midi voice group, but I'd like to help you with this project in any way I can.

My team and I are working on a solution to the difficulty of editing the music. If you would like more information, feel free to PM me about it.

Tile errors on the ledges, I'd recommend fixing them.

The top of them should also be grass.

Overlooked that, thanks for pointing it out. Noted and fixed for all of the outdoor maps. (I have to still alter that cut tree sprite. In GSC it was part of the actual map in FRLG it's an overworld sprite instead)

iy0p5x.png

EDIT: Whoah wait what, you're Koolboyman?! It's an honor to finally meet you, you're pretty famous in the rom hacking scene! I'm Meowth on Pokecommunity for the record.

Yes that would be I. Glad you like my works :P Hopefully I can get this patch 100% done by the end of the year since production is already speedy,but no promises.

Another thing I realized is that the map headers are all client or server side (Which makes sense, just like the collision) but that data contains the tileset number called. So I'll have to overwrite all the cave tilesets with the GSC one (Except Icefall cave will use the ice path tileset)

-Snip-

You made the Mewtwo Strikes Back hack?! I loved that hack, but as I slowly drifted away from hacking and the PokeCommunity forums I never played any updated versions :(

That's amazing. Do you already have a plan for the 3rd gen pokemon sprites? I could help setting those up for you if you'd like.

Edit: I found these by Darkdoom3000, but there are no backsprites.

geniiidevamps.png

Should'nt be too hard to make the backsprites with the now available color pallettes.

I have one completed Gen I hack out (Pokemon Brown) and a Gen II hack currently in production (Pokemon Prism) if you want to see some of my other hacking works.

KoolBooyMan you legend!!!! Right about now is when I wonder what other awesome hackers have been playing PokeMMO and such! Hows the PokeCommunity forums nowadays?