Move faster underwater when your leading Pokemon has Swift Swim

Hiraeth

Question

16 answers to this question

Just a reminder that low content posts that could easily be replaced with a click of the like button will be removed, potentially with a warning attached.

As far as the idea goes, it's interesting. It could potentially cause some balancing issues if certain things aren't tweaked, but I might be overthinking it and it could very likely turn out to be an overall improvement to the system. I'd personally add the Pokemon also knowing Dive to the requirements, but it's not necessary from a gameplay/balance standpoint - it's more of a common sense addition. Producing more bubbles when moving quickly would be a nice aesthetic touch too.

Shard hunting will go by so much faster if this was implemented. Nice idea :)

Not necessarily, one of the greatest ways to shard hunt involves using a water absorb pokemon, you would have to switch into one every battle or spend the time surfing back from a pokecenter, given one isn't far its still extra time spent.

Or money if you use potions on a different pokemon to not leave.

Not necessarily, one of the greatest ways to shard hunt involves using a water absorb pokemon, you would have to switch into one every battle or spend the time surfing back from a pokecenter, given one isn't far its still extra time spent.

Ludicolo's 4x water resistance is plenty good enough for the job. It gets Thief and Synthesis too.

Edited by RacheLucario
Kingdra doesn't get Thief, silly~

Some abilities still works if the pokemon is fainted, like synchronize. But shardhunting needs a serious buff... Don't think this would make a huge impact

It barely tickles with you can be running Synthesis~

0+ SpA Lanturn Signal Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Ludicolo: 24-30 (20.6 - 25.8%) -- 0.4% chance to 4HKO

also gets trapped by whirlpool/clamp, something water absorb prevents. That 4x resistance doesn't protect against % hp drop from those moves either.

I'd personally add the Pokemon also knowing Dive to the requirements, but it's not necessary from a gameplay/balance standpoint - it's more of a common sense addition.

I thought about this too, but then I thought about a character riding one Pokemon to surf and holding onto another Pokemon that goes fast. I'd compare it to skateboarders holding onto the rear of cars.

It wouldn't need to be added visually as a sprite (too much work), just add this concept image to the patch notes and players will understand:

TuanV6I.png

I'm the best artist here, I know.

Ludicolo's 4x water resistance is plenty good enough for the job. It gets Thief and Synthesis too.

water absorb isnt for the sake of not taking the damage, it's to avoid being trapped by whirlpool. 

EDIT: munya already said it, i got too lazy to read all the way through before posting.

anywho, mark the calendars boys, a suggestion munya actually agrees with.

Edited by Rigamorty

I mean, there's no restriction on the pokemon needing to know both surf and dive either.

It's already possible to surf on one and dive on another, so it wouldn't make that much sense of a restriction.

Also, I think it'd be neat if it worked exactly like running. As in, you have to hold B, unless you have auto run toggled on.

It's just kinda satisfying to hold a button to go fast.

But this just opens up a whole new world of possible out-of-battle abilities that aren't canon. Could be a good thing, could be a new generation of bad threads.

Edited by Eggplant