[Money Guide] Island 1 Rock Smash

Hiraeth

Introduction:

Hello everyone,

I am here today to share my knowledge on a rock smashing route in Kanto; a route on Kindle Road (Island 1) specifically. With this route, you can quickly obtain items from wild Geodude and Graveler. The guide is meant for people who don't know where to Rock Smash, or need somewhere new.

Requirements:

•  Smeargle with Trick // Spore // False Swipe -- or a Quagsire with Thief
  • A Pokemon that knows Rock Smash

Results:

Here is a small example of what can be accomplished using this route and its methods. In one hour alone, I found 14 items. That is an item every 4.5 minutes, which is great considering how rare the items are.

Spoiler

sTub6wg.png

Pros & Cons:

Pros:

• Farming items is fast and easy
  • A healing area is nearby so your PP is easy to renew
  • No high-priced Pokeballs needed
  • No cave environment with many wild encounters
  • Grass travel is minimal

Cons:

• In the end we're still farming, so it's boring and repetitive

The Path:

WbnfXI8.png

Notes:

• Red squares represent rocks that can be smashed, and they are numbered by the order in which they should be smashed
  • The starting point is the healing area
  • The ending point is the healing area (Trick only has 10 PP)
  • Line colors change with each complete change in direction
    • Red: Healing area to rock #1
    • Blue: Rock #1 to rock #6
    • Black: Rock #6 to healing area

In Battle:

When you are in a battle with Geodude or Graveler, follow these methods. Both Pokemon are viable for obtaining items.

Smeargle:

1. If the Pokemon is level 24+, use Spore (it knows selfdestruct).
  2. Use Trick.
  3. If the Pokemon is holding an item, continue. Skip the rest of these steps and flee if not.
  4. Use False Swipe to bring the Pokemon's HP to 1.
  5. Throw a Pokeball. At 1 HP, there is a 99.994% chance of capturing the Geodude.
  6. Congrats, you now own a Helix Fossil, Old Amber, Dome Fossil, or Everstone.

Quagsire:

1. Use Thief on the Pokemon.
  2. If the thief was not successful, flee.

Nice guide, but wouldn't it be smarter to use a Quagsire around level 15, thief the item. This means you don't need to waste Pokeballs and clutter your PC if you forget to release.

Quagsire can use damp ability to stop explode. it isn't very effected by rock, and it's naturally bulky to take magnitudes. Not only this but you can get the egg move 'recover' to stay there for even longer.

Nice guide, but wouldn't it be smarter to use a Quagsire around level 15, thief the item. This means you don't need to waste Pokeballs and clutter your PC if you forget to release.

Quagsire can use damp ability to stop explode. it isn't very effected by rock, and it's naturally bulky to take magnitudes. Not only this but you can get the egg move 'recover' to stay there for even longer.

Good idea, I'll add Quagsire as an option in the requirements and add a method!

Did some testing, didnt know you could heal in the cave so thanks!

after 75 encounters i met 70 geodudes from lvl 6-28, geodude learns selfdestruct at lvl 24 so most couldnt explode on you, making utility smeargle a better option than quag. quag isnt really good anway wooper doesnt evolve before lvl 20 and cant learn thief before evolving. so its kinda pointless cuz most of the geodudes is lvl 10-14. I enden up with carrying a damp quag lvl 32 who took care of the few high lvled geodudes and gravlers. optimal would be lvl 29 but i didnt bother making one yet.

also after 75 encounter i got 10 fossils and 2 everstones. that might be alot but I'll keep tracking the rate of held items. 

after 75 encounters i met 70 geodudes from lvl 6-28, geodude learns selfdestruct at lvl 24 so most couldnt explode on you, making utility smeargle a better option than quag. quag isnt really good anway wooper doesnt evolve before lvl 20 and cant learn thief before evolving. so its kinda pointless cuz most of the geodudes is lvl 10-14. I enden up with carrying a damp quag lvl 32 who took care of the few high lvled geodudes and gravlers. optimal would be lvl 29 but i didnt bother making one yet.

also after 75 encounter i got 10 fossils and 2 everstones. that might be alot but I'll keep tracking the rate of held items. 

Amazing information! Thanks for the research and statistics. 

You have some great points about Quagsire, I think I will edit the OP to make it less recommended, among other things.

Edited by Hiraeth

Hiraeth, when farming with my Smeargle, using Trick sometimes saids it failed. Does this means the Geodude is not holdling anything?

Smeargle is LVL 60 *^*

Also, when I use my LVL 40 Eevee,

Smashing the rock does not get me into any battles?

SO CONFUSED, And I hate these stupid ginat patches of grass, always getting me into redundant annyoing battle with lame pokemons

Edited by BeDerpyAsYouCan

Hiraeth, when farming with my Smeargle, using Trick sometimes saids it failed. Does this means the Geodude is not holdling anything?

Smeargle is LVL 60 *^*

Also, when I use my LVL 40 Eevee,

Smashing the rock does not get me into any battles?

SO CONFUSED, And I hate these stupid ginat patches of grass, always getting me into redundant annyoing battle with lame pokemons

If Trick fails, it means that Pokemon isn't holding an item. Level differences don't matter when using Trick.

Rock Smash doesn't always spawn a Geodude or Graveler, I could be wrong but I think it's a 70% chance.

If Trick fails, it means that Pokemon isn't holding an item. Level differences don't matter when using Trick.

Rock Smash doesn't always spawn a Geodude or Graveler, I could be wrong but I think it's a 70% chance.

Alright, thanks bro! And the first time I did this, I got an Old Amber! Hahah this really works. This should become an official guide. Good work Hiraeth! *proud face*

Waiting for Signature...

• 1 month later...

What about a lvl15 skarmory? It can use thief, has nice defensive stats, inmune to ground... even if the geodude use selfdestruct, it gonna deal low damage and you can rest.

What about a lvl15 skarmory? It can use thief, has nice defensive stats, inmune to ground... even if the geodude use selfdestruct, it gonna deal low damage and you can rest.

Needs to be lvl 10 to get those lvl 5 geodudes. So a lvl 35 gravlers will squash it unless You carry a damp pokemon to stop selfdestruct. So tbh I don't really see the use for a skarmory with thief but it will probably work very well, you go for it gurl
  • 3 weeks later...