[Comp Guide] The biggest misconceptions and mistakes in competitive battling

I really enjoy this. It's basically a guide on "what not to do" in competitve, and gives a lot of helpful hints and information to help elevate your play.

Players really hurt themselves by geting into a mindset that if it's not top usage, it's trash, which limits their growth.

I used to do too much paperwork and think it was all statistics. Boy was I wrecked when I first brought my "perfect paper" team to a competition...

I had never really gotten into MMO competitive much, since then (besides PSL), but I love to team craft and play against people on things like Showdown, it's a good way to kill time and get in some practice. This has helped influence me to tweak a few things to my usual style.

Thanks, Orango. <3

[spoiler]

I hope my comment is very... commenting. :P

It's actually a helpful guide to help people notice where their flaws are as players, and how to make some changes, and improve themselves.

[/spoiler]

EDIT: On a side, there are others who pray too hard on RNG to save them in a bad situation. They tend to get demoralized when they get let down, opening them up to more mistakes.

1. Not looking at the match as a whole

- The most common and the most destructive mistake to make as a competitive player, which is usually common for new players. An example of this is that let's say you're facing a Jolteon and you realize it tears down 3 out of 6 Pokemon easily and can sweep 5 out of 6 Pokemon in a right situation and you have a one hard counter to it. If you're not saving your counter to that dangerous Pokemon until it's down, you will be in a lot of trouble. A lot of times new players just think for the next turn and think "hey, I can make a Pokemon faint so I'm leading 5-4" and they possibly give up their main counter to something just for a momentary good feeling and later they realize they're doomed. Player should not just think about the next 3-4 moves but the whole match how it will come down to and not just think about this moment and the next move.

This is something I overlook as well most of the time because at times you just want to gain an advantage in the scoreboard and then you lose that one pokemon which completely changes the outcome..

Nice guide. 

Edited by NikhilR

And then you're calling ME a nerd, tsch.

Great guide though, pretty sure everyone can just read this and find themselves, whether they're experienced or not on comp play. And anyway, pros tend to make mistakes like most new players do at times too, so yeah.

Yes, I'm calling you a nerd.

[spoiler]Nerd.[/spoiler]

This is something I overlook as well most of the time because at times you just want to gain an advantage in the scoreboard and then you lose that one pokemon which completely changes the outcome..

Nice guide. 

We've all been there. We've all been..

Thanks man.

Probably the worst competitive player talking here. I don't know why but I always lose matches. Today I saw a Charizard with the sunnybeam shit coming and I thought let's go with the Houndoom and Crunch it. Then I got EQ'd....

Played with like 3 different teams (2 UU's and OU) but always having troubles winning matches. Oh and RNG is always against me.

Nice guide though 5/5 :)

Great guide.

I don't know if these add to what you say, but I think always playing few steps ahead, instead of playing by each turn is better.

Predicting is all well and good, but it can backfire(happens to me occasionally). I think the best way to predict is when you know you can't get punished too hard if it does backfire(this doesn't mean don't make risky predicts, because sometimes it necessary). 

I'll add one I guess...instead of always going for the kill its sometimes worth just to stall out a few turns so that you can reveal their team and find a way to beat it

Cool guide though it was a fun read

I'm sorry but I have to disagree with this. Getting opponent to reveal their team is helpful and all but shouldn't come with a too much a cost. I appreciate it though.

This one, however.. is definitely worth a mention. I think Robo said somewhere "The best way to lose is to be too attached to a Pokemon that underperforms in a battle." which is well, really true. I wish I could find the thread.

• 4 weeks later...

Nice guide. 

I was thinking, maybe this could happen more easily to defensive players who tend to just stall till the end of the match (not calling anyone out, i only remember one of your battles, and that was when you swept a guy with linoone during a semi-final).

Since i started doing experiments with belly drum i realized how important it actually is to follow your own strategy rather than trying to just keep the momentum at any cost.

Letting one of your pokes die against something with little offensive power in order to setup, for example, will often trick your opponent unless he know you have your setup sweeper ready.

To me, more often than not, losing a sweeper is generally better than losing a wall, with my defensive cores being composed by at most 3 pokes.

Ofc when your opponent is trying to win by spamming roar and spikes and you don't have a spinner, your metagross/blaziken/ursaring etc is that one poke you can't afford to let die, or else gg.