[Banned to ubers] Gengar

Gengar  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Should Gengar stay in OU?

• No, ban it to ubers.
    • Yes, keep it in OU.

Zebra already pointed this out (somewhere) but if you look at the usage between now/then, Dugtrio/Magneton haven't really become more/less common. They've just become more effective now because before they were a bit superfluous: Gengar could smash walls all day, especially with Ursaring as support. Dugtrio was just as good at killing chanseys pre-ban as it is now. Honestly I only saw 2 Dugtrio teams yesterday and almost every team had Chansey. I think that speaks to how viable and how meta-defining each poke is. 

I'm just eager for the usage after these three 64 man tournaments, but again, Chansey seems to be pretty gross and should probably be looked at next if we ban Gengar. Possibly even a Quick Ban. 

I really thought Chansey had more usage (34.13%).

I know a lot of people are complaining about this stall/trapping meta, but I think it is a good alternative to the very centralized Gengar meta we had before.

All play styles are viable right now and teambuilding options remain somehow wide open.

It is a shame though that we don't have special wall breakers and that we need to rely mostly on physical attacks, trapping tactics or even pp stall to bring down any core that includes Chansey. I used to think banning Chansey would put a stop to the current uncompetitive plays, but tbh I don't believe the tier will change much. Chansey did not make trapping viable, it simply encourages trapping. Dugtrio and Magneton will still be around with or without Chansey.

EdIt: Porygon2, 4th place with 29.04%.

Porygon2 is a true OU. Unlike Umbreon, Porygon2 did not become less viable with the Gengar ban.

Edited by lamerb

I really thought Chansey had more usage (34.13%).

I know a lot of people are complaining about this stall/trapping meta, but I think it is a good alternative to the very centralized Gengar meta we had before.

All play styles are viable right now and teambuilding options remain somehow wide open.

It is a shame though that we don't have special wall breakers and that we need to rely mostly on physical attacks, trapping tactics or even pp stall to bring down any core that includes Chansey. I used to think banning Chansey would put a stop to the current uncompetitive plays, but tbh I don't believe the tier will change much. Chansey did not make trapping viable, it simply encourages trapping. Dugtrio and Magneton will still be around with or without Chansey.

EdIt: Porygon2, 4th place with 29.04%.

Porygon2 is a true OU. Unlike Umbreon, Porygon2 did not become less viable with the Gengar ban.

I agree, trapping will always be present, with or without Chansey. The idea though is that banning Chansey will allow more freedom from special offense that can pick apart the numerous defensive walls and play around Magneton. 

I agree, banning chansey is prolly the next step to ou evolution. Imo this meta is better than gengar meta but now its kinda like, even if we unban blissey nothing will change cos chansey is doing her job already. so yeah, my opinion, lets drop chansey together with gengar or just undo the ban cos chansey just flat out stalls any sp attacker and they are all back to being useless, unless you bring a dugtrio as pointed out earlier

Gengar has been banned to Ubers

There has been a lot of discussion about what (if any) characteristics Gengar has that make it banworthy. It can be a powerful special attacker, a powerful mixed attacker, a bulky status spreader, or even a perish trap wallbreaker. This kind of diversity of sets compounded with Gengar’s powerful dual stabs and formidable special attack stat vastly restricted teambuilding. While Gengar may have been offensively Uber, it was also clearly unhealthy, which was reasoning behind this test ban. Gengar's presence alone made running anything that didn't have a course of action against it a liability, and the rise in usage of Cloyster, Ursaring, Skarmory, Weezing and many other pokemon is indicative of exactly how much Gengar restricted diversity in OU. In particular, Gengar made many of the tiers physical walls unviable as they opened the door for it to come into play and status stall, trap or sweep its way to victory. Gengar exerted a large amount of pressure on every team and was frequently accused of being “too good not to use” as it fit well into nearly any team.

After spectating five or six OU tournaments without it and considering the changes in usage stats, the Tier Council came to the decision to ban Gengar with a vote of 6 to 1. While the current meta is not perfect (we recognize recent complaints that defense has become to strong), it is clearly more varied, balanced and competitive in the wake of Gengar being banned. 

• Munya pinned this topic