Update Suggestion

KaynineXL

Question

Currently we wait a long time for updates, the last one Posted on '13 January 2015 - 06:19 PM' which is a good 8 months. It is understandable why the developers get so much flak from the community. It is also understandable that things such as Battle Frontier are big projects and will take a long time.

I was thinking why not make segments of updates each month for the small updates that don't require much time to make and time to test for bugs? For example, the new breeding UI/confirmed IVs I would think is a fairly small update and could have possibly been added much sooner since it wouldn't require as much testing.

What's your thoughts?

Pros

• People won't get so anxious waiting for updates
  • Breaking down the updates to test on PTS could be a good thing because you will spend a lot of time testing out a couple of things that will be added each month and you would get more reliable results. After 5 months of waiting for the PTS there are so many updates to test on the PTS that you're just overwhelmed and don't really get to test everything properly
  •  When there are small updates that are a huge deal(Release upon capture & Confirmed IVs), we don't have to wait for you to finish the big projects before these small ones get released.
  • I'm sure we could all think of more

Cons

• A little more stress on the developers possibly
  • The update with the big projects won't contain as much

TL/DR: Update the game each month or so with the small updates(such as new breeding UI & Confirmed IVs) and leave the big projects like Battle Frontier for the big update.

Edited by KaynineXL

11 answers to this question

People is beeing asking fro it since forever. I think someone once said that when they update, unless it's an Hotfix, they need to restart the server or something like that, and that's the problem...don't really know the details tho, just something i remember reading long ago

People is beeing asking fro it since forever. I think someone once said that when they update, unless it's an Hotfix, they need to restart the server or something like that, and that's the problem...don't really know the details tho, just something i remember reading long ago

I did try a see if another thread existed, wasn't really sure what to put. I don't see any problem with the server going off for a short while once a month.

There is a certain build-up and hype before an update is released which make old players return for a while again and such. for example minecraft who releases snapshots from the update a few weeks before each update, they create a massive hype and reputation. 

An update each month seems kinda dull imo. But waiting 8 months for an update is a hell of alot worse...

But it seems like the devs have just added more and more to this update, which is cool and all that alot neat featuers that i cant wait to get my hands on. But it has delayed the update so much.... we had the First PTS in June right? and the update was originally supposed to be released sometime after that. 

Releasing smaller updates more often would be so much better.

yea I don't know why they dont release updates for each of these pts. Because they all had alot of workable stuff and if there were any bugs I dont mind them fixing it aslong as we have updates periodically keeping the fan base intact instead of "8 months" of waiting and basiclaly people leaving from being bored. I'm sure the community would be happier with more constant updates rather then 2 Giant updates per year

Perfect time to talk about this suggestion since the big update as hit.

Maybe we could use this method in the future?

I think part of the reasoning is that it's way more efficient for the devs to test features in batches instead of just throwing one feature in at a time. In particular, when developing it's really bad to have holes in the product once it goes live - if they updated the game with narrowed IVs and fucked up one small part of it, they could end up with a gaping hole in the product that allows a malevolent user to do serious harm to the server or database or some other moving part in the game. 

That's why we have PTS: it lets the devs/players test features in a bubble where the sneaky bugs can be found in a sterile box instead of on a large scale in the live-production game. The only thing about the PTS is that they need players to want to play it - I sure as hell wouldn't do anything on there if all I was doing was playing around with confirmed IVs or something. They need players to use the game (and the features) more or less as they were intended to be used.

Because of PTS, we end up in a situation where they have to build a bunch of features first, then test them, then fix the bugs. At that point it easier to just throw them all in an update and go.

TL;DR -

1. Bugs are really bad for a game

2. PTS helps prevent bugs from going live

3. PTS needs a lot of features to get players to use it

4. Devs need to bundle features to make PTS work as intended

5. Once bugs are fixed you have a lot of new features

6. Update time

I think part of the reasoning is that it's way more efficient for the devs to test features in batches instead of just throwing one feature in at a time. In particular, when developing it's really bad to have holes in the product once it goes live - if they updated the game with narrowed IVs and fucked up one small part of it, they could end up with a gaping hole in the product that allows a malevolent user to do serious harm to the server or database or some other moving part in the game. 

That's why we have PTS: it lets the devs/players test features in a bubble where the sneaky bugs can be found in a sterile box instead of on a large scale in the live-production game. The only thing about the PTS is that they need players to want to play it - I sure as hell wouldn't do anything on there if all I was doing was playing around with confirmed IVs or something. They need players to use the game (and the features) more or less as they were intended to be used.

Because of PTS, we end up in a situation where they have to build a bunch of features first, then test them, then fix the bugs. At that point it easier to just throw them all in an update and go.

TL;DR -

1. Bugs are really bad for a game

2. PTS helps prevent bugs from going live

3. PTS needs a lot of features to get players to use it

4. Devs need to bundle features to make PTS work as intended

5. Once bugs are fixed you have a lot of new features

6. Update time

That's why you release PTS for the small segment updates each month(which I said in my post).

Of course you don't just implement something and throw it in without testing.

That's why you release PTS for the small segment updates each month(which I said in my post).

I addressed this in my post - part of the reason PTS works is that it has a lot of stuff to attract players to it. If they just had narrowed IVs they probably wouldn't get a lot of people in there to try it out. Not a bag suggestion, just might be hard to fit with the devs development plan.

I addressed this in my post - part of the reason PTS works is that it has a lot of stuff to attract players to it. If they just had narrowed IVs they probably wouldn't get a lot of people in there to try it out. Not a bag suggestion, just might be hard to fit with the devs development plan.

Yeh, it's a little more hassle for the devs, but look at the cons. You can have better testing on the update(because you test them individually instead of a massive patch) and we don't have to wait 7 months+ for an small update.

Edited by KaynineXL