Happiness when trading

Arimanius

Question

I just tested and when u trade a pokemon with a friend or you buy a pokemon or something like that those pokemon always have 27% happiness even when the happiness was lower, why don't we use a 27% when happiness is equal or higher than 27% and the current happiness when happiness is lower than 27%? That way frustration would be more useful when u trade or borrow a pokemon, just a suggestion since we never touch this matter

13 answers to this question

Frustration:
The power of Frustration varies between 1 (at the maximum friendship value of 255) and 102 (at the minimum friendship value of 0).

Return:
The base power of Return varies between 1 (at the minimum friendship value of 0) and 102 (at the maximum friendship value of 255).

Someone will have to fact check this, I was under the impression that Return had the potential to be stronger than Frustration.
tfw I got all my comps with return to 100% happiness thinking it was better.

EDIT: I mean from a certain viewpoint the happiness system makes sense.  Pokemon are like pets, and if you treat your pet so badly it's at 0% happiness it's gonna be damn happy when you give it away, which could cause the happiness to raise. 

This is a pretty good way of making this issue a little less annoying.  With things like Eevee you only have to get the pokemon up to 87% happiness once then you're done after it evolves.  However with Return/Frustration every time you trade the Pokemon or it gains/loses happiness you need to do whatever to lower/raise the happiness of that Pokemon. 
Although at the same time I like the mechanic, happiness just needs to be a bit easier to modify but I'm sure that issue has already been made apparent.

Edited by DaftKitteh

Yeh, but you can't stop happiness from increasing, so in the end you're forced to run return like it or not

Not true cause you're supposed to use that pokemon only to fight, so you're not walking around with it all day xD I know this cause I currently have like 5 pokemon with frustration and 1% happiness

It doesn't always reset to 27%, it always resets to the base-happiness of that pokemon (which could be either 13% or 54% as well.) Why not just remove this mechanic after all, so your 100% happiness comps don't get screwed when you lend them to somebody?

Panda are u 100% sure of this? I've tried trading a LOT of pokemon and they always ended up with 27%, which are those pokemon that when trading them they reach 13% or 54%?

Yeah that could be a thing too, but since they don't mention anything about it I suggested something that could help

Does it reset happiness in original games as well? or is it just in PokeMMO. I don't remember happiness setting to default back in the gba games.

Actually I don't know that either

Someone will have to fact check this, I was under the impression that Return had the potential to be stronger than Frustration.

EDIT: I mean from a certain viewpoint the happiness system makes sense.  Pokemon are like pets, and if you treat your pet so badly it's at 0% happiness it's gonna be damn happy when you give it away, which could cause the happiness to raise. 

This is a pretty good way of making this issue a little less annoying.  With things like Eevee you only have to get the pokemon up to 87% happiness once then you're done after it evolves.  However with Return/Frustration every time you trade the Pokemon or it gains/loses happiness you need to do whatever to lower/raise the happiness of that Pokemon. 
Although at the same time I like the mechanic, happiness just needs to be a bit easier to modify but I'm sure that issue has already been made apparent.

Yeah many people think the same thing xD but they're the same dmg if 100% and 1% of happiness respectively.

yip that's also true since you have a new owner and u shouldn't hate it but it's just something to make this less tedious cause raising happiness to 100% after trading something is boring as hell, but it's easier to lower the happiness with revival herbs, u have to pay though

Panda are u 100% sure of this? I've tried trading a LOT of pokemon and they always ended up with 27%, which are those pokemon that when trading them they reach 13% or 54%?

The pokemon with 54% base happiness are those in the chansey and clefairy evolutionary lines. The pokemon with 13% base happiness are those in the dratini, murkrow, misdreavus, sneasel, houndoor, larvitar, ralts, sableye, aron, carvanha, cacnea, shuppet, duskull, absol, bagon and beldum evolutionary lines, as well as umbreon. There are also some others (some pokemon even have 0% base happiness) that are not yet implemented.

Frustration at 0% is supposed to have the same base power as return at 100%. However, I think I heard Kyu state that there is actually a bug with frustration that prevents it from ever reaching it's maximal base power (confirmation anyone?)

Return is usually the prefered option because happines increases by steps, which means it's inevetable that it will increase. Curiously, a lot of people use frustration in VGC because of the fact that most pokemon will have max happiness, to prevent ditto/smeargle from being able to deal any damage with the move after they transform into your frustration user.

Does it reset happiness in original games as well? or is it just in PokeMMO. I don't remember happiness setting to default back in the gba games.

Yes, it does happen in the GBA-games as well. The reason you didn't notice is probably because happiness is a hidden stat, which can't ever be seen (there are hints to how high it is, such as the friendship rater, but you are never given any numerical value.)

The pokemon with 54% base happiness are those in the chansey and clefairy evolutionary lines. The pokemon with 13% base happiness are those in the dratini, murkrow, misdreavus, sneasel, houndoor, larvitar, ralts, sableye, aron, carvanha, cacnea, shuppet, duskull, absol, bagon and beldum evolutionary lines, as well as umbreon. There are also some others (some pokemon even have 0% base happiness) that are not yet implemented.

K, I'll try a few of them to see if it's like that here too

Frustration at 0% is supposed to have the same base power as return at 100%. However, I think I heard Kyu state that there is actually a bug with frustration that prevents it from ever reaching it's maximal base power (confirmation anyone?)

I asked him personally and he explained to me that you can't reach max dmg with 0% cause it is like if u had 100% which is a bug, but it works well with 1% and it's the same maximun dmg, same with 99% and 100% this is fixed in the update though, you will be able to reach maximun dmg with 0% too

Return is usually the prefered option because happines increases by steps, which means it's inevetable that it will increase. Curiously, a lot of people use frustration in VGC because of the fact that most pokemon will have max happiness, to prevent ditto/smeargle from being able to deal any damage with the move after they transform into your frustration user.

Exactly but here it's not different but I think frustration is easier to use cause it's so much easier and faster to decrease happiness from 27% or whatever the value is when trading than raise it to 100%

Yes, it does happen in the GBA-games as well. The reason you didn't notice is probably because happiness is a hidden stat, which can't ever be seen (there are hints to how high it is, such as the friendship rater, but you are never given any numerical value.)

Good to know