LF community response to new tournament ideas

Hi, i am super bored of this game, so i figured i'd try to make some new things happen. Would anyone be interested enough in these new formats to put in the time and effort necessary to make whole new teams?

Little Cup (Babby)

Teams composed of lv5 pokemon that DO evolve but HAVENT yet. This is already a thing on Showdown, with a developed list of banned moves. I can see problems arising around EV training: it would be pretty impossible to train without overleveling, which the Amnesia Brace can help with, but not everyone has access to one. Maybe it would be a new way for those that do have a Brace to make money.

Catchmmo
Only wild caught pokemon are allowed; before each match the team is linked to the referee to check. I think this would be more fun/divergent from existing tiers if only level up moves were allowed (No egg moves obv, but also no tutors or tms)

UU Doubles
A doubles tournament but draw a line based on the Doubles Viability threads to remove Pokemon that are Over-Used in doubles. I am no expert in doubles so this is kind of just a brainstorm idea, I can't be sure if it would work well or not.

1v1
Awww yeeeeeeee. Everyone's favorite. I think Double Elimination brackets would be fun because the matches are so short. I know its kind of already a thing, but it would be cool if I could get a lot of people to come to an unofficial.

So those are my ideas, I am completely willing to host, ref, and fund these tournaments (regularly) but I wanted to make sure people would be interested. So discuss!

Edited by PepperPoots

For the little cup, time time ago we had those tournaments, but i don't know noone organize it anymore.

Catchmmo sounds not so bad, but the meta would not fit if a lot of the pokemons cant use egg moves, this one needs an really good organization.

UU Doubles, don't even try it, same for the 1v1, its not fun when the battle is based on RNG and not the players skills.

If you have more ideas about tournaments post here:

https://forums.pokemmo.eu/index.php?/topic/14180-event-suggestions-feedback/

Hi, i am super bored of this game, so i figured i'd try to make some new things happen. Would anyone be interested enough in these new formats to put in the time and effort necessary to make whole new teams?

Little Cup (Babby)

Teams composed of lv5 pokemon that DO evolve but HAVENT yet. This is already a thing on Showdown, with a developed list of banned moves. I can see problems arising around EV training: it would be pretty impossible to train without overleveling, which the Amnesia Brace can help with, but not everyone has access to one. Maybe it would be a new way for those that do have a Brace to make money.

Little Cup literally can't be a thing unless the Pokemon are scaled down to like in some own Little Cup tournament mode lv 5. The EVing would be absolutely horrible and paying the vitamins is just way too costly.

Catchmmo
Only wild caught pokemon are allowed; before each match the team is linked to the referee to check. I think this would be more fun/divergent from existing tiers if only level up moves were allowed (No egg moves obv, but also no tutors or tms)

The initial CatchMMO was made in the clone-breeding era. Catching comps was completely pointless, that's why the tournament was made - to give a bit of a throwback of old PokeMMO. Now that catching is basically the way of getting resources of breeding, it's pointless imo.

UU Doubles
A doubles tournament but draw a line based on the Doubles Viability threads to remove Pokemon that are Over-Used in doubles. I am no expert in doubles so this is kind of just a brainstorm idea, I can't be sure if it would work well or not.

I kinda like this one here but I doubt it will become too much of a thing. Doubles itself is barely played at all. But it would be definitely fun seeing some not so used Doubles Pokemon in Doubles battles.

1v1
Awww yeeeeeeee. Everyone's favorite. I think Double Elimination brackets would be fun because the matches are so short.

These tend to come out time to time as officials but one haven't been in a while so why not. They're fun but I hope they won't be too "overused" format.

So those are my ideas, I am completely willing to host, ref, and fund these tournaments but I wanted to make sure people would be interested. So discuss!

@Greck: that link is for official suggestions, i really dont have any faith that anything i put there would ever be read. But thanks for the input! also i miss you in MDVN.

@Orange: Little cup: I agree except i think careful reffing can take the place of a new TM.
Catchmmo: I think with new breeding there is a lot more wild catches happening, but that wouldnt necessarily make it pointless.

Yes, 3/4 of these ideas would definitely take a whole lot of preparation, but I was planning to offer at least 1 mil as a prize. Thanks for weighing in everyone!

#UU doubles for 5th team tournament tier

I dig the idea but well. Gotta work on making doubles in general popular first.

I have seen some hype around doubles over the last few months and it really has failed to take off, being one of my favorite tiers I would love for it to gain more popularity but it just isnt happening. I feel this might be in part due to the lengthier 6v6 format that relies more on smashing everything in sight than intelligent plays. A best of 3 4v4 format (like VGC) in PokeMMO could work wonders for doubles as a tier as it relies more on the strength of team building rather than scouting and mindlessly spamming rock slides from Aerodactyl.

And 3 4v4 doubles battles is still going to be shorter in length than a single OU battle.

So why not do it. Sure unlike VGC you may be unable to bring 6 and just use 4 and you are unable to base your picks off the opponents team but there is workarounds for this, like announcing 6 pokemon to a staff before the first battle and then changing in between each fight... I dunno could work but would require more management from staff.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

damn some of yall didnt like those ideas but i remember having a catchmmo and it worked out very well for the people that have the time to go catch and train a team...i like them all honestly all very viable tournaments and im sure if you create an event like one of those some people will come....use in game clauses and go with babycup or catchmmo first

• 2 weeks later...

What about a Swiss sistem?

I play chess, and all tournaments work in this sistem. If you win a match you win 1 point and 0 if lose (0,5 If draw, but here is impossible) The players play vs other players with same points and at the end of some rounds win the player with more points. In case of tie in points, the program have some tie-breaker like the points that your opponents did. For more and better information here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss-system_tournament

The idea is that the players dont lose in first round, all players plays all rounds and you could win a tournament losing the first round by rng or something, and for win a tournament you must play vs good players. Sometimes a bad players can win only playing vs one good player, because the other good players was removed, but not with swiss sistem.

This sistem can take more time but is more fair. And could be more prizes, for example if you want give 2m, could be 1m for the winner, 700k for the second and 300k for the third.

I think I've got a really really cool idea for an original tournament. It can also be held in different formats.

I can't tell tho cause i wanna make it a surprise. 

So far I've been thinking about making it monthly like every last saturday of the month. Which time of the day would be the best?

I also really need help to make a nice poster, i have a decent draft already though.

Someone make me a poster and I'll make the tourney happen!

I've also got ideas for other events.

I think I've got a really really cool idea for an original tournament. It can also be held in different formats.

I can't tell tho cause i wanna make it a surprise. 

So far I've been thinking about making it monthly like every last saturday of the month. Which time of the day would be the best?

I also really need help to make a nice poster, i have a decent draft already though.

Someone make me a poster and I'll make the tourney happen!

I've also got ideas for other events.

If its a gimmick tournament, its probably not worth hosting since unofficial gimmicks are about as unpopular as they get. 

#UU doubles for 5th team tournament tier

I dig the idea but well. Gotta work on making doubles in general popular first.

well u posted that most likely b4 they released the change log.. but yes ur right.. however now that we are going to have 2v2 tag team player double battles double battles might get better.. knowing the fact that u now get to battle with a friend against 2 other ppl.. kinda like tag duels in yugioh.. i ve been waiting for them to do that double battle tag team thing since b4 hoenn came out// but now that they have it.. for once i got hyp for a double battle ! :) also shark lenny has hype too ( ͡° ͜>͡°)

If its a gimmick tournament, its probably not worth hosting since unofficial gimmicks are about as unpopular as they get. 

Okay, let me tell you guys about my idea so i can see if anyone would be interested at all.

Yes, it is a gimmick tournament.

My idea is to host a 4v4 element tournament where only Electric, Fire, Grass and Water types are allowed in.

The first edition should be with each of the above types represented.

Examples of teams could be; Lanturn - Charizard - Venusaur - Vaporeon or Jolteon - Blaziken - Sceptile - Ludidolo etc..

Possible later tournaments could be a free for all brawl in OU and UU editions, doubles or possibly where you have to have at least one Firetype or Watertype on your team etc. or the previous combined somehow.

It should be held either monthly, every second month or every third month at the last Saturday of the month. I just started in school so I'm not sure which would be possible.

I planned to make the prize 1 mil plus a Flamethrower, Ice beam, Thunderbolt, Giga drain and Solarbeam TM.

This is my basic idea so far.

What do you guys think?

I've been busy so that's why I'm replying so late.

Okay, let me tell you guys about my idea so i can see if anyone would be interested at all.

hmmm i think that would restrict teambuilding a lot, to the point almost everyone would have the same team. Maybe make it NU so ppl can use ninetales, rapidash, charmeleon, lots of options, lots of weaknesses.

So i am currently spending money on breeding, which i thought would never happen when i first posted this thread. Also i have a job and a life now and play for like 12 hrs/ week. So what im saying is, official notice that i PROBABLY wont be doing anything about this.

Edited by PepperPoots

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.