[Comp Guide] Doubles Guide & Builds

stuff

Oh my days. First of all, as DoubleJ stated, there is no reason to add every possible set to a guide like this, especially not the less effective ones. You have some nice additions, but sometimes I wonder if you even play doubles.

Relaxed blastoise with EQ: If you have ever played doubles, you might be aware that an intimidated swampert fails to 3HKO standard metagross with EQ (yes, that is lum berry metagross.) Where does that leave blastoise? It should be sufficient to mention that blastoise has lower atk and non-STAB EQ, but let's look at the most depressing calcs ever:

0 Atk Blastoise Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Jolteon: 74-88 (52.8 - 62.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

-1 0 Atk Blastoise Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Jolteon: 48-58 (34.2 - 41.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Not only does blastoise fail to beat jolteon 1v1, it also fails to beat a jolteon that switches in if blastoise gets intimidated before it can get off it's second move. For the other pokemon blastoise suposedly beats with EQ, they are all bulkier than jolteon, so EQ is absolutely horrendous. Furthermore relaxed nature means that you are always outsped by opposing blastoise, making follow me and fake out less effective. I would strongly advice anybody against using this blastoise set.

Cosmic power clefable: Clefable does not need cosmic power to work, but for most purposes blastoise is better than clefable without cosmic power. The cosmic power set is usually better, but does not exclude clefable without cosmic power.

Safeguard/swagger/screens dragonite: Slow dragonite is really bad because of the 4x weakness to ice. Slow swagger is also pretty bad, since whatever you are trying to power up won't be able to use it untill next turn. Safeguard is very niche, but if you're running a useless dragonite already, why not. Screens are also way better when used by a fast pokemon.

Choice band gyarados: This is acceptable.

Cross chop hariyama: This is also acceptable, just note that 2 superpowers and 2 cross chops will do exactly the same amount of damage.

Swords dance heracross: This is acceptable.

Mach punch on hitmontop is bad: If you think that KOing a low health jolteon/aerodactyl/something else that is about to decimate your team is bad, feel free to do so, but do know that you are wrong. Not to mention mach punch helps with killing ttar before it can get a move off if you double into it. I have seen so many battles where mach punch have been decisive that writing it off as bad is quite ignorant. While RS is an acceptable alternative, RS is just as much of a niche move as mach punch is. And for protect, I can not think of a scenario where that would be good. Hitmontop is used to spread intimidate and fake out, both of these things require you to switch out to do effectively. If you think your opponent is about to attack hitmontop, jokes on them, because you are just going to helping had your partner and they will give you a free switch-in to something if they kill top. Protect is really, really bad.

Wish kangaskhan: Anything with wish is bad. Refer to DoubleJ's previous post.

Slower starmie: Correct, there is little reason to run max speed starmie. While you do provide some nice calcs for the extra def variant, do also note that 0 spatk starmie has a chance to not OHKO gengar with psychic, so putting the remainding EVs in spatk does not hurt either.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, it might be worth adding the calm mind set on slowbro. I did win a tournament with a team centered around calm mind slowbro, and I haven't seen slowbro have much success apart from that. Just note that you need blizzard in this meta to make it viable. As for you warrior slowbro set, extra spatk is probably prefered, so you can 2HKO metagross with flamethrower.

Edited by PandaJJ

Imo you should add icy wind as an option to the first clef set it stops clef from being set up bait for certain pokes. Also think you should change the spread for extra def on that set.

Quick question for Fred. Why exactly do you use wish + protect on clef instead of softboiled. As far as I see wish really doesn't have any advantage over softboiled. Wish passing is almost irrelevant in doubles and it makes your protect turns really easy to predict and turns your clef into set up bait as it becomes really easy to play around and predict.

I agree with taking away the extra speed on starmie for extra bulk. It really doesn't need the extra speed. But at the same time the change is so minor that i'm not sure if it is worth noting here for any reason than letting people know they don't require 31 speed so starmie becomes easier to breed for doubles.

And as far as we are adding gimmicks I could add my psych up meta set. Its usually far more effective than the current psych up meta set that is listed.

And as far as we are adding gimmicks I could add my psych up meta set. Its usually far more effective than the current psych up meta set that is listed.

Isn't your psych up set the same as the agility set with psych up over agility? One could simply add psych up as a variant of that set. I must admit it had not yet struck me that you could use psych up to pick up DD boosts when I wrote the sets for metagross, but it's far more effective than stealing belly drum boosts because you get the speed too. 

Isn't your psych up set the same as the agility set with psych up over agility? One could simply add psych up as a variant of that set. I must admit it had not yet struck me that you could use psych up to pick up DD boosts when I wrote the sets for metagross, but it's far more effective than stealing belly drum boosts because you get the speed too. 

No. Its similar but there are a few differences. Uses slightly different moves (MM / protect > Ice punch although IP is still an option.) Also uses more defensive EVs to make sure it doesn't get killed on the psych up turn as well as lum berry being more required. It's by far best psych up set metagross has imo and is a lot less of a gimmick than the current belly drum psych up set that is listed.

Spoiler

Psych Up
Item: Lum Berry / Sitrus Berry
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 132 Speed / 124 Attack

• Meteor Mash / Protect / Ice Punch
  • Rock Slide
  • Earthquake
  • Psych up

The idea behind this set is to take advantage of the abundance of Dragon Dance users in the tier. A Metagross with Dragon Dance boosts is almost impossible to deal with. Its ability clear body prevents it from being shut down by both Intimidate and Icy Wind as well as the fact that Meta is very hard to OHKO especially with defensive EVs, once Metagross gets going it becomes very difficult to stop.The idea is to try to set up a Salamence using support from follow me Blastoise, then after Blastoise dies to send out Metagross to copy the boosts with Psych Up while Salamence uses protect. While this is the ideal situation it is also very much possible to take Dragon Dance boosts off of your opponents Pokemon. Since Psych Up goes through protect its very easy to force protects if paired with a fake out user and take the boosts of the opposing Salamence / Gyarados. The Speed EVs lets it hit 107 speed at level 50 out speeding Marowak and allowing it to outspeed almost everything if it is able to get +2 speed from DDance. The remainder of the EVs go towards maximizing its bulk while still allowing for it to hit hard even with limited attack boosts.

Edited by Rendiz
Fixing Spoiler

I'm digging that OP.

Makes it stand out from other guides that are just a copy/paste of other people's write-ups about a specific pokemon.

It's really a guide about how to play doubles, rather than what pokemon does what.

And even on top of that, the individual pokemon guide is still here!

I'll be using this.

I promised Slaking by Friday, its Friday so it still counts. JJ you will need to edit this some, but the basis and sets are there.

[spoiler]

Base Stats: 670 (150/160/100/95/65/100)

- Slaking has the highest base stat total of any available Pokemon currently in the game, boasting fantastic defenses thanks to its mighty base HP and respectable 100/65 defenses in tandem with a whopping attack stat. To cap it off its 100 base speed is nothing to scoff at as it out speeds the majority of the doubles meta
- Slaking's ability, truant, truly is its defining factor and is the huge reason why it sees such limited use in every tier its available in. Limiting its attacking prowess to one move per two turns, to put it simply it is the worst ability in the game.
- In a meta with protect being one of the most used and most powerful moves available Slaking has a hard time finding play. Without proper support the majority of the tier frustrates Slaking by simply protecting on the turn it gets to attack
- Needs a dedicated partner or strong prediction skills to function

[spoiler]

Skill Swap me
Item: Lum Berry/Leftovers
Nature: Jolly
Ability: Truant
EVs: 252 Attack/252 Speed/4 HP

Return
Encore
Fire Punch
Rock Slide

You are probably sitting at home looking at this set and saying, how on earth is that going to work.... well the idea here is simple. Slaking and its partner in crime (any pokemon with skill swap) comes in on two Pokemon Slaking outspeeds and Slaking attacks or encores the previous turns protect.Your opponent will either attack back leaving them open to a massive hit from Slaking or they will protect, regardless of their choice your partner will Skill Swap Slaking and let the beast free. On the following turn Slaking is now free to either encore the protect or let loose any of its attacks dealing massive damage to just about anything in the tier. Return and Fire Punch are the two main moves, capable of dealing hefty damage to just about anything. Rock Slide rounds out the coverage for Aerodactyls. The EVs are a simple 252 attack 252 speed, the speed is vital to tie with opposing max speed Salamence while getting the jump on all neutral natured Starmies, Gengars and Tauros

Hit and Run
Item: Choice Band
Ability: Truant
EVs: 24 HP/252Attack/92 Spdef/140 Speed

Return
Fire Punch
Earthquake
Rock Slide

90% of the time this set will not work, the only time this will work is in tandem with a Skill Swap partner or if your opponent lacks Protect (and even then this requires prediction skills to land a hit). The payoff however can be massive, Return and Fire Punch deal with the majority of the meta, Earthquake and Rock Slide provide spread moves if you aren't confident on which opponent to target. The most interesting thing about this set is the EV spread. The HP and Spdef investment allows Slaking to avoid the OHKO against Kingdra and Ludicolo, soaking both of their Rain boosted Surfs and coming away with the live, usually OHKOing one in return. The speed gets you a pass on max speed neutral nature Heracross, Dragonite, Kingdra and Gyarados, Jolly can be used to outspeed the +speed versions of the previous Pokemon, but that means Slaking loses out on a lot of its raw power and a fair few OHKOs

[/spoiler]

[/spoiler]
Edited by DoctorPBC

This is such a Craig thing to notice
But the spacing between the spoilers and the next pokemon's sprite is inconsistent. Some could use a space.

There are plenty if inconsistencies, because this was done by several people. DoubleJ uses capital letters for moves, pokemon etc, but I don't think I managed to replicate that in all of mine. He also refers to the metagame as "PokeMMO Doubles," whereas I simply use "doubles." I don't think I have the OCD to go through all of it, though.

There are plenty if inconsistencies, because this was done by several people. DoubleJ uses capital letters for moves, pokemon etc, but I don't think I managed to replicate that in all of mine. He also refers to the metagame as "PokeMMO Doubles," whereas I simply use "doubles." I don't think I have the OCD to go through all of it, though.

Well the is a big difference between a captial letter and the overall format. It just makes it easy on the eyes and makes the spoiler possibly less confusing. You noodlehead this isn't worth discussing.

2f0c7ae51fb8ed34dea1cc7537057e09.png

b9b50e3d3cf8b3e5e3353091aed91ec0.png

Well the is a big difference between a captial letter and the overall format. It just makes it easy on the eyes and makes the spoiler possibly less confusing. You noodlehead this isn't worth discussing.

2f0c7ae51fb8ed34dea1cc7537057e09.png

b9b50e3d3cf8b3e5e3353091aed91ec0.png

I was just pointing out that there are plenty of inconsistencies. Even for the format, some pokemon have only one introductory comment, most have two, and yet others have three. Based on DoubleJ's inital set-up, I assumed there was one comment for pros, and one comment for cons, but this is inconsistent. There is no reason not to fix the spacing, though.

Doduo

Spoiler

Choice Band

Ability: Early Bird

EVs: 252 Attack / 252 Speed

• Double Edge / Return
  • Drill Peck
  • Low Kick
  • Pursuit / Quick Attack

Because Doubles, geddit?

2 Heads = 2Uber4U

Item: Lum Berry / Sitrus Berry

Nature: Jolly / Adamant

EVs: 252 Attack / 252 Speed

• Return / Double-Edge
  • Drill Peck
  • Low Kick / Thief
  • Protect

Because Doubles, geddit? xDxDxD

Someone had to do it.

Edited by Rendiz
Fixing Spoiler
  • 2 months later...
6 hours ago, Asunamaster12 said:

Ty for the help...

Not trying to be a uguu I was just a bit hesitant in giving out my Blaziken set since i'm pretty much the only person who uses it. That being said Blaze benefits greatly from certain partners and is not the strongest poke by itself. I feel like I would not be doing it justice without doing a full write up which i'm not really willing to do until the seasonal finals are over as I don't want everyone to know why I use it and what support I run for it to avoid letting people know my teams.

That being said the basic blaze set would be:
Naive/Hasty

252spatk / 252 speed

Life Ball

Fire Blast

Superpower

Hidden Power Ice

Protect

I will do a full write up including extra sets after the seasonal has ended provided I've proved its more than viable enough to be included on this list.

Edited by Rendiz
Because I Can

-----------

Fixed your spoilers, fixed your spacing, fixed some fonts and letter sizing as well as capitals that triggered me(I hope I got them all). Also bolded your set names for clarity.

Can just copy and paste the stuff below. We can get these posts deleted after since they look like clutter on your thread.

----------

WixiSsF.png

Welcome to the Competitive Guide to PokeMMO Doubles

The information listed here pertains to the PokeMMO Doubles meta and is provided to help players build teams, compete in doubles, and understand common threats in this exciting format. The listed pokemon will include those having 3% or greater usage in the PokeMMO Doubles Viability Thread. If a listed pokemon falls below 3% usage in the PokeMMO Doubles Viability Thread it will not be removed and will remain listed here. The provided definitions and sets were created from my own experience in the PokeMMO Doubles meta. Feel free to suggest other sets you may have seen or used in the comments section below. 

Some general concepts regarding PokeMMO Doubles:

1. The battle format is 6v6, with each competitor using 2 pokemon at once

2. Doubles battles are typically fast paced and offense oriented, but this does not mean that stall is not viable

3. There are no bans in doubles tournaments at this time

4. The move Baton Pass is legal in the doubles format, but only during Official Tournaments where it has been toggled for use by a staff member

5. Some moves target both of your opponent's pokemon and sometimes even all of the pokemon on the field including your teammate. For a list of these moves, click here. Note though that this list includes moves up through Generation 6 which PokeMMO may currently not have access to. 

5. Strategy is most important when considering team synergy, targets of attack, and defensive switch-ins 

6. The move protect is commonly used as a defensive tactic

7. Currently, you cannot change a move after selecting it with your first pokemon, so be wary

Doubles Strategy 101 by Fred

1. Initiative 

Spoiler

- What is initiative you ask? Well in PokeMMO, initiative is simply controlling the flow of battle. An example would be to force your opponent to react to a situation and make a play that they otherwise wouldn't have done. For example, you lead with Kangaskhan and Gengar while your opponent leads with Metagross and Starmie. You have taken the initiative by threatening your opponent with Fake-Out by Kangaskhan. Your opponent will have to react to this situation by either blindly attacking, making an unfavorable switch, or attempting to predict which pokemon will take the Fake-Out flinch. In this case you might Fake-Out the Starmie, preventing it from using Psychic to kill Gengar, and then kill the flinched Starmie with Shadow Ball.  

How do you gain initiative? Well there are multiple ways to do this in PokeMMO Doubles. One example would be to use Fake-Out as noted above, or to make favorable offensive switches that might force your opponent to switch in turn. That or using the move protect, utilizing a status move, or focusing your attack to apply pressure on a specific threat. In the end, taking initiative is simply turning the tide in your favor. 

2. Focusing your Attacks

Spoiler

- The concept behind this is simply how your plan of attack will turn the tide of the match. If you focus your fire on one threat at a time during a doubles match you will inevitably remove that threat faster than you would by spreading your attacks across the field. To imagine this please refer to the following demonstrations:

focus_fire.jpg

- The above figure takes into account that all attacks are equal in power, that they do not miss, and that they have the same target.

- What are the pros of focusing your fire? Well if a hit from either one of your pokemon on the field fail to 1HKO one of your opponent's pokemon, then focusing your fire with both pokemon on the same target could nab that knock out. As an added benefit if your pokemon happen to be faster than the target pokemon, you would also only take one hit from your opponent considering you killed something before it could strike.

- What are the cons of focusing your fire? If your opponent Protects with the pokemon you've targeted, then you lose two attacks and get struck by one. If your opponent switches to a defensively favorable pokemon, you could fail to provide a significant amount of damage and lose momentum in the match. Also, the pokemon you do not attack could switch to an offensive option that could threaten the pokemon you have on the field.

3. Single vs Multiple Target Attacks

Spoiler

- As mentioned, some moves in PokeMMO Doubles can hit multiple pokemon on the field, whether that is both of your opponent's pokemon, your opponent's pokemon and your own, or every pokemon on the field. Multi-target moves are nerfed in PokeMMO as damage is "spread". The decrease in damage is between 20-25%. For example, Earthquake, which strikes three targets, will now attack each individual pokemon with a power of 75-80, rather than 100. This is beneficial as it spreads more damage against your opponent, but also damaging as it targets your own pokemon not using Earthquake as well. Other moves with this type of mechanic, such as Surf, can be used to heal your team while damaging your opponent. For example you use Surf which hits both of your opponent's pokemon and also your teammate as well. If this teammate has Water Absorb it can absorb the water-attack Surf and gain HP. Learninh what moves target multiple pokemon and which don't is extremely important in PokeMMO Doubles, as is understanding the subtle differences between Singles and Doubles formats. For example, Rock Slide in Singles has a 30% flinch chance, while in Doubles it has a 51% chance to flinch at least one of your opponent's pokemon barring a miss. This is due to Rock Slide hitting both of your opponent's pokemon and the probability of two chances at a 30% flinch. 

4. Offensive vs Defensive Play Styles

Spoiler

- Now there are many different ways to build a team in PokeMMO; hyper-offensive, all wall, balanced, etc, but in PokeMMO Doubles certain play styles tend to decrease in viability. Offensive play is almost always the best option, as there are very few pokemon that can effectively wall a threat of two attacks. Every wall has a fatal flaw that can be exploited to faint it quickly and efficiently, and this is multiplied in a doubles format. In doubles you can have two pokemon on the field with coverage that is mutually beneficial and covers the weaknesses of each other's counters, OR that have the same counter, but do so much damage that the counter is overwhelmed. An example of dual coverage would be Manectric and Gyarados vs a team with a defensive core of Venusaur, Metagross, and Snorlax. Manectric protects Gyarados from Electric-type attacks with Lightning Rod and can beat Venusaur and Metagross who otherwise threaten Gyarados. Gyarados meanwhile can beat Snorlax which frightens Manectric. An example of overwhelming coverage would be Swift Swim Rain Dance Ludiclo and Kingdra vs Snorlax. Snorlax can typically beat both of these pokemon in a Singles format, but it fails to win when both are attacking it at once. 

5. Team Building and Common Concepts

Spoiler

- There are several common team concepts in PokeMMO Doubles. They are listed as follows: Weather, Perish Trapping, Explosion, and Balanced Offense

- The concept behind a weather team is simple; set-up the a weather of your choice and abuse the benefits provided by the Sun, Rain, Hail, or Sand. Rain teams are the most common as the Rain provides the most benefits. With Swift Swim speed boosts, perfect coverage Thunder, 1.5x power boost for Water-attacks, and also Rain Dish healing, Rain can truly be a devastating force. Counter Rain teams with a Rain team of your own, or use pokemon like Tentacruel that have a defensive presence that benefits against attacks commonly used in the Rain.  

- Perish Trapping teams are about surviving long enough to trap and kill your opponent's team. The idea is to use Dugtrio with Arena Trap, Wobbuffet with Shadow Tag, or moves that can prevent your opponent from switching such as Block or Mean Look, and pair that with the move Perish Trap from your second pokemon. If you can survive for three turns you simply can switch out and your opponent loses two pokemon. You can support this play style with Light Screen/Reflect, Intimidate, Memento, Protect, and Substitute to prolong your chances of surviving. You can check this play style by removing either the Perish Trapper or the trapper from your opponent's team before they can effectively break your team. 

- Explosion teams rely on prediction. They are typically paired with the move Protect and Ghost-types to prevent hurting their own teammates. Explosion teams try to remove bulky or defensive threats first and sweep with powerful offensive options later. This play style is easily checked by predicting with Protect or switching in a Ghost-type on their Explosion. 

- Balanced offense is going to be the most common team concept you will encounter. It relies on proper defensive balance without sacrificing a powerful offensive threat. Plays typically rely on favorable switches, Protect, and prediction to hit and survive throughout the course of a match.

Special thanks to Fredrichnietze, PandaJJ, DoctorPBC, and JIceJDragon for their help in completing this guide. I couldn't have done it without each of you!

Enjoy!

Edited by KaynineXL

Spr_5b_142.pngAerodactyl

Base Stats: 515 (80/105/65/60/75/130)

- One of the most dominant forces in PokeMMO Doubles. Aerodactyl offers unresisted coverage with STAB Rock Slide, Earthquake, and Double-Edge, and it is able to abuse lucky flinches for an unexpected advantage. Be wary of Aerodactyl's weaknesses, as several common attacks including Surf, Ice Beam, and Rock Slide prevent it from switching in. 

- Aerodactyl is checked decently well by intimidate users such as Arcanine, Gyarados, and Salamence that benefit from the split-attack power drop on Rock Slide. Flygon and Claydol, as well as bulky waters, can offer some defense against this offensive cannon.  

Spoiler

Choice Band

Ability: Rock Head

EVs: 252 Attack / 4 Defense / 252 Speed

• Double-Edge
  • Rock Slide
  • Earthquake
  • Crunch / Aerial Ace / Pursuit

This is the primary set that you will encounter with Aerodactyl, as it makes use of the attack-boost from Choice Band and far above average speed that Aero has. You will typically find that CB Aero will spam Rock Slide in hopes of nabbing some easy knock-outs with a powerful STAB and/or a lucky flinch to gain an advantage. The fourth moveslot will typically not see much action but can come in handy during the end of a match. Crunch offers a powerful attack to hit Claydol and Dusclops with, while Aerial Ace is there for Ludicolo and Breloom. Pursuit can be an interesting move to use in a meta where switches are very common. 

Freedom Reigns

Item: Lum Berry

Ability: Rock Head

• Double-Edge
  • Rock Slide
  • Earthquake
  • Protect / Crunch / Aerial Ace / Pursuit

Scared of the negatives associated with Choice Band? Want to have the option to Protect during a match? Well then this set is for you. Simply go with a Lum Berry instead of Choice Band and you can begin choosing what moves to use where exactly when you need to!

Spr_5b2_059.pngArcanine

Base Stats: 555 (90/110/80/100/80/95)

- Arcanine provides what PokeMMO Doubles loves to abuse, the ability Intimidate. In addition to Intimidate Arcanine also has a surprising amount of bulk and powerful Attack and Special Attack stats. Extremespeed also provides an additional advantage making use of that +2 priority. 

- Arcanine is easily checked by most bulky waters and other Intimidate users. Claydol and Flygon also offer an appropriate defense against this beast.

Spoiler

Intimidate

Item: Leftovers

Nature: Relaxed

Ability: Intimidate

EVs: 252 HP / 252 Defense / 4 Special Defense

• Crunch
  • Flamethrower / Heat Wave
  • Extremespeed / Double-Kick
  • Hidden Power Ice / Hidden Power Grass / Hidden Power Electric

Taking full advantage of the ability Intimidate, this Arcanine provides an easy switch in on several common physical attacks. The option between Flamethrower and Heat Wave is simply by way of power vs the ability to hit multiple foes. Double-Kick is useful for Tyranitar, while Extremespeed can nab a quick hit on faster threats such as Jolteon and Starmie. The choice between Hidden Power depends on what you need to hit. HP Ice provides an answer for the dragons, while HP Electric gives you an option to hit Gyarados as well as most bulky waters. HP Grass is necessary for Swampert and is synergistic with Extremespeed for an answer to Tyranitar.

blastoise.png

Base Stats: 530 (79/83/100/85/105/78)

- With access to the supportive moves Fake-Out and Follow Me, and with good defenses and typing, Blastoise is a top tier bulky water in doubles. It is possibly the best pokemon to have next to a set-up pokemon like Salamence, Dragonite, or Tyranitar.

- Like with other Follow Me users, Blastoise does not stop spread moves from hitting its partner, which can be problematic. Rock Slide, Earthquake, Surf, and Explosion are among the options you can use to hit its partner when Follow Me has been played, at which point Blastoise becomes relatively useless. It also has limited offensive options, so be careful of not letting it become a sitting duck.

Spoiler

Support Turtle

Item: Sitrus Berry / Leftovers
Nature: Bold / Calm
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 164 Def / 92 SDef
  • Follow Me
  • Fake Out
  • Icy Wind / Ice Beam / Blizzard / HP Electric
  • Muddy Water / Hydro Pump / Protect
This set is your only reason to use Blastoise. Fake Out plus Follow Me allows you to disrupt the opponent from attacking your partner. Icy Wind is for slowing them down, while Blizzard is a more offensive option to get 2HKOs on stuff like Salamence without worrying about opposing Blastoise. Muddy Water is your better STAB move, which can both disrupt with accuracy drops and take advantage of Torrent. Protect can be nice to stop the opponent from simply focusing down on Blastoise with Thunderbolts and Giga Drains. The Sitrus Berry allows Blastoise to take some surprising hits, while leftovers will pay off more in the long run. The spread optimizes the bulk on both sides, but can be changed by preference. For the most part Blastoise will just use Follow Me, while using the other moves to wiggle out of difficult situation.

Spr_5b_242.pngBlissey

Base Stats: 540 (255/10/10/75/135/55)

- Blissey can dominate any special attacker with its bulk alone. In addition to this, Blissey can also make use of its massive movepool to support your team and cripple your opponent's offensive threats. 

- Offensively, Blissey doesn't provide much and in a meta that relies on fast, powerful attacks, Blissey has gotten the short end of the stick. Blissey is outright stopped by most physical sweepers, but watch out for Thunder Wave that could ruin their day. 

Spoiler

Fat Blob

Nature: Bold

Ability: Natural Cure

EVs: 252 HP / 252 Defense / 4 Speed

• Thunderbolt
  • Ice Beam
  • Softboiled
  • Protect / Thunder Wave 

This move-set provides incredible coverage on many of the threats in doubles. Predict accordingly and you can safely paralyze your opponent's entire team and hit Gyarados, Salamence, Dragonite, and Flygon with 4x attacks. Guts users such as Ursaring, as well as bulky physical attackers like Snorlax and Tyranitar tend to frighten this old girl. And as you should already know, Blissey can sit on special attackers for days. 

Blob with Guns

Nature: Modest

Ability: Serene Grace

EVs: 252 Defense / 252 Special Attack / 4 Speed

• Thunderbolt / Hyper Voice 
  • Ice Beam / Flamethrower
  • Softboiled
  • Protect / Thunder Wave

When you get tired of taking hits and just want to fire back. Blissey has a unique ability in Serene Grace which abuses the secondary effects of moves by doubling their chances of occurring. Paralysis, Freeze, and Burns galore, this Blissey is sure to annoy even the most seasoned of players. Use Hyper Voice as a STAB option that can hit both of your opponents pokemon at once. 

claydol.gifClaydol

Base Stats: 500 (60/70/105/70/120/75)

- Claydol is an interesting addition to PokeMMO Doubles and offers a defensive option in a very aggressive meta. Utilizing its diverse move-pool and highly beneficial ability, Claydol can slow down even the most brazen of attackers.

- Claydol is easily checked by most bulky waters and opposing Dusclops as well.

Spoiler

Dual Screens

Ability: Levitate

EVs: 252 HP / 216 Defense / 40 Special Defense

• Ice Beam
  • Psychic
  • Reflect
  • Light Screen

An incredible support option that provides the ability to bolster your entire team's defenses and also strike back at the dragons with Ice Beam and frighten Gengar with STAB Psychic.

Boom Beach

EVs: 252 HP / 216 Defense / 40 Special Defense

• Psychic
  • Earthquake
  • Ice Beam
  • Explosion

An offensive variant of Claydol that has excellent coverage and also a last ditch effort attack in Explosion. The only unfortunate side to this is that Gyarados can punish this Claydol in multiple ways and even survive an Explosion after Intimidate.

clefable.gifClefable

Base Stats: 473 (95/70/73/85/90/60)

- Clefable, the swiss army knife of doubles. With an insane move-pool that includes multiple support options, Clefable easily ranks as one of the most lucrative pokemon to have on the field. Unfortunately Clef is weak to some of the more common attacks in the game and also lacks the special bulk of say Blissey to really tank those incoming special attacks. 

- Clef is easily managed by really any physical attacker, although with a move-pool like this, many sweepers will want to kill it as soon as possible.

Spoiler

Support Fairy

Nature: Calm

Ability: Cute Charm

EVs: 252 HP / 4 Defense / 252 Special Defense 

• Follow-Me
  • Helping Hand / Cosmic Power
  • Softboiled
  • Protect

This set does not seem that viable at first glance, but when you think about the possibilities associated with it, oh boy. Pairing this with any physical attacker that wants to set up is a dream come true with the move Follow-Me, which makes any single targeting attack hit Clef and not your partner. Once your teammate has garnered say a couple Dragon Dances, use Helping-Hand which has +5 priority and offers another quick attack boost. Use Softboiled for some quick recovery and Protect when you need to avoid a smart opponent that will want to clear you from the field first. If you aren't into boosting attack, consider Cosmic Power to increase the longevity of Clefable on the field as you continue to take hits through Follow-Me. Be cautious of status users that can cripple this threat, and a team reliant on it, through Toxic or Sleep. 

Warrior Fairy

• Thunderbolt / Hyper Voice
  • Ice Beam / Flamethrower
  • Softboiled
  • Thunder Wave

Similar to an attacking Blissey, this set provides an opportunity to challenge the common physical threats in this game with super effective attacks and a threat of paralysis. 

Dual Screen Support

Nature: Calm / Careful

EVs: 252 HP / 128 Defense / 128 Special Defense

• Reflect
  • Light Screen
  • Seismic Toss
  • Thunder Wave / Heal Bell / Follow-Me

When you need to bolster your defense. This Clef is designed to support your team, so spam Thunder Wave as often as you can and set those screens up before you die. Heal Bell is an option when encountering an opponent that favors Will-o-Wisp support. Follow-Me is again seen just for additional partner support. 

dragonite.gifDragonite

Base Stats: 600 (91/134/95/100/100/80)

- One of the two most fearsome dragon-types in the game, Dragonite presents with incredible bulk but also a fantastic move-pool. With access to Extremespeed, Superpower, and nearly any special attack, Dragonite will surely worry your opponent to no end. In doubles, Dragonite has an added advantage in its ability Inner Focus, preventing any Fake-Out or Rock Slide flinches. 

- Dragonite's vast move-pool is stellar, but it is still brought down by bulky waters and basically anything that carries Ice Beam. The difference between Dragonite and Salamence though, is that Dragonite can survive a non-STAB Ice Beam so watch out.

Spoiler

Choice Band

Ability: Inner Focus

EVs: 76 HP / 252 Attack / 180 Speed

• Dragon Claw
  • Thunderpunch / Earthquake 
  • Extremespeed
  • Superpower

A revenge killer of sorts in the doubles metagame. While it doesn't have very much staying power with its 4x weakness to Ice Beam and its subpar speed, this Dragonite can really rack up the damage. Pair it with a Follow-Me user and hit for as long as you can. The choice between Thunderpunch and Earthquake really depends on whether your team fears Gyarados or Metagross more. Be cautious of hitting your own teammate with Earthquake and also Lightning Rod users with Thunderpunch. Also, the speed investment allows it to beat 252 Speed Metagross. 

Mixed Nite

Nature: Lonely / Mild

Ability: Inner Focus

EVs: 56 Attack / 252 Special Attack / 200 Speed

• Dragon Claw
  • Fire Blast / Flamethrower
  • Thunder / Thunderbolt
  • Extremespeed

Take on Metagross and Gyarados with relative ease with this moveset. Pairing Dragonite with a Rain Dance abuser can help to bolster Thunder to perfect accuracy. Extremespeed once again provides an option to strike back at faster pokemon like Jolteon and Starmie to try and nab a kill.

Spr_5b_051.pngDugtrio

Base Stats: 405 (35/80/50/50/70/120)

- Dugtrio is a trap specialist with the ability Arena Trap. Any grounded pokemon on the field for your opponent will not be able to switch out, which means that if played right you can easily take down two pokes with an offensive partner. Frail defenses and a move-pool that keeps asking for more gives this poke a bit of trouble. 

Spoiler

It's a Trap!

Ability: Arena Trap

• Earthquake
  • Rock Slide
  • Thief / Aerial Ace / Substitute
  • Protect

Predict a safe switch-in on a couple pokes that can't switch out like Metagross and Starmie, and let your teammate do all the damage. Substitute and Protect in tandem help to prolong your stay on the field, while Thief or Aerial Ace increase your coverage. One downfall to this set is that Earthquake will strike both your opponents and your teammate, so be wary. You can flip the EV spread to a more bulky option in order to stay on the field longer, but this isn't advised. 

Choice Band

Ability: Arena Trap

• Earthquake
  • Rock Slide
  • Thief
  • Aerial Ace

Come in for the revenge kill on pokes like Metagross, Starmie, and anything else that might be low on health and slower than you. Remember STAB EQ won't be as powerful because of its multiple targets.

Spr_5b_356.pngDusclops

Base Stats: 455 (40/70/130/60/130/25)

- Dusclops is the hidden gem of PokeMMO Doubles. It has a unique defensive presence that can tank multiple common hits. In addition to this it can utilize Will-o-Wisp to break down a physically offensive team that otherwise could demolish an unprepared team. It also has coverage moves in Thunderpunch and Ice Beam just to dish out some damage, or it could utilize a stall set to wear down teams a bit more slowly. Ghost-typing is also a benefit to avoid an Explosion from either side of the field. 

- Dusclops fears little, but don't expect it to last an entire match. Your opponent will undoubtedly want to take this threat off the field so expect special attackers to come onto the field to force it out. Tyranitar with STAB Crunch and GUTS users are also a bit frightening for Dusclops.

Spoiler

Burn Unit

Nature: Impish / Bold

Ability: Pressure

EVs: 252 HP / 212 Defense / 44 Speed

• Shadow Ball / Thunderpunch / Ice Beam
  • Will-o-Wisp
  • Protect / Substitute
  • Rest

The goal of this set is simple: stay alive as long you as you can and burn as much as you can. The ability Pressure will slowly wear down pp of your opponents all while they attempt to break you. Unfortunately for them you have quite the staying power and also a devastating move in WoW, at least for physical attackers like Metagross, Salamence, Gyarados, and Snorlax. The speed investment let's you beat Snorlax to the punch (as well as Slowbro), letting you pull off that burn. The option of an attacking move is one that is designed from what you're team has trouble with. Shadow Ball for a STAB that hurts things like Gengar and Starmie, Thunderpunch for Gyarados, and Ice Beam for Salamence, Dragonite, and Flygon. 

Offensive Firepower

Ability: Pressure

EVs: 252 HP / 212 Defense / 44 Speed

• Thunderpunch
  • Ice Beam
  • Will-o-Wisp
  • Protect / Rest

A variant of the above set that can dish out some offense while still maintaining a defensive and support presence. Be wary of this thing as it really messes with physical attackers in a meta dominated by them. 

Spr_5b_330.pngFlygon

Base Stats: 520 (80/100/80/80/80/100)

- Flygon is an interesting defensive presence with the offensive power of a slightly nerfed Salamence or Dragonite. Unfortunately like the other two powerful dragons it too is 4x weak to Ice-attacks. A benefit of using Flygon in doubles though is to resist Rock Slide and also be immune to common Earthquakes. 

- Flygon unfortunately can't touch bulky waters with its subpar attack power, but on the other hand Swampert and Quagsire should both be wary of a mixed set carrying Giga Drain. 

Spoiler

Choice Band

• Dragon Claw
  • Earthquake
  • Thunderpunch
  • Superpower / Crunch / Quick Attack

This set makes use of Flygon's decent speed while boosting its attack. Use this Flygon to come in on an Aerodactyl Rock Slide and pray you don't get flinched the next turn. Remove the Choice Band for a weaker attack, but more freedom on the field. 

Fly-on-the-Wall

Nature: Naive

EVs: 252 Attack / 100 Special Attack / 156 Speed

• Dragon Claw 
  • Earthquake / Fire Blast 
  • Giga Drain / Thunderpunch
  • Protect

An interesting answer to many offensive juggernauts. Earthquake and Fire Blast put a serious hurt on Metagross while Giga Drain catches unsuspecting Swampert off guard. Dragon Claw provides a reliable STAB. Thunderpunch can be a nice defense against a Gyarados that wants to use Dragon Dance, but be wary of any Lightning Rod users. Protect is a decent option to use Flygon as a decoy on the field. 

Edited by KaynineXL
fixed some spacing that triggered me.

gengar.png

Base Stats: 500 (60/65/60/130/75/110)

- Gengar is one of the most used doubles pokemon in PokeMMO for multiple reasons, but the biggest of all is because of its raw power. Gengar has a base 130 Special Attack stat and carries two devastating STABs. It can also utilize a massive move-pool that many players can't predict.
- Gengar has little counters in doubles play. Offensive play can dampen Gengar's presence on the field, but be cautious with this tactic considering the threat of WoW. Arcanine provides a reliable option. 
Spoiler

True Warrior

Item: Leftovers / Lum Berry
Nature: Timid / Modest
EVs: 252 Special Attack / 4 Special Defense / 252 Speed
Shadow Ball
Sludge Bomb
Thunderbolt
Hidden Power Ice / Giga Drain / Protect

This is going to be the most common Gengar you will encounter and will have the coverage to tear through a team. Hidden Power Ice is common due to the prevalence of the dragons and the fact that Shadow Ball still hits Swampert really, really hard. Protect is an option since most players will attack Gengar outright to try and remove it, creating a diversion for other Pokemon to set-up or get a free hit. A Timid nature is preferred, but Modest can deliver some seriously powerful attacks. 

Fire-and-Ice
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 Special Attack / 4 Special Defense / 252 Speed
Shadow Ball
Thunderbolt
Hidden Power Ice
Will-o-Wisp

With coverage galore and the fastest Will-o-Wisp in the game, you're sure to encounter this set in a tournament. Utilize this Gengar as long as you can because sadly it won't stay on the field for long, but its presence will sure be felt. Pair it with a Fake-Out user to protect Gengar while you remove and/or burn some threats.

Spr_5b_130_m.pngGyarados

Base Stats: 540 (95/125/79/81/100/81)

- Gyarados is one of the most powerful physical attackers in the game, and also has ground immunity and intimidate to make it a very powerful threat. Being the best dragon dancer that is not a dragon type makes it a nice alternative to Dragonite and Salamence, because it is not weak to the very common ice type moves.

- Water is a medicore offensive type, meaning that Gyarados can not simply sweep through teams in the same fashion as Dragonite and Salamence do. Its 4x weakness to electric screams for Lightning Rod support, as it is otherwise an easy OHKO for anything with thunderbolt in their moveset.

Spoiler

Dancing Water Dragon
Item: Lum Berry / Leftovers
EVs: 94 HP / 252 Attack / 164 Speed

• Dragon Dance
  • Waterfall
  • Crunch / Return / Protect
  • Earthquake / Return / Protect
This standard Dragon Dance set commonly makes use of Lightning Rod support in order to set up and afterward dish out strong attacks at a preferable speed. Protect is very useful in order to set up and avoid Fake-Out, although you then have to forgo one of your coverage moves. Earthquake is almost always better than Crunch, unless your team is susceptible to self-inflicting damage. Lum berry is usually the preferred item, unless you pair it with a Follow-Me user that can redirect status moves. You can also go Max Speed to outpace other Gyarados that may attempt to set-up alongside you. The current speed spread allows you to outpace Base 200 speedsters like Aero and Jolteon after one DD. 

Banded Dragon
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Attack / 4 Speed
  • Waterfall
  • Earthquake
  • Crunch
  • Double-Edge / Bounce
Alter the speed all you want, but just understand that this bulky monstrosity is going to dish out some damage. Pair it with a Follow-Me user or a pokemon with Lightning Rod and you can go to war while tanking hits left and right. Be careful of Rock Slide and being Choice-locked. 

hariyama.pngHariyama

Base Stats: 474 (144/120/60/40/60/50)

- A powerful threat with an insane base attack of 120 and an incredibly diverse moveset. A lack of reliable resistances though and a poor speed make Hariyama difficult to use, but fortunately its bulk can allow it to tank a hit so that it can strike back with power. 

- There are no outright counters to its diverse and powerful offensive movepool, but fortunately its speed and lack of good resistances leave it wide open for damage. Consider it for a lead and possibly with a Follow-Me partner so that it can spread damage even longer. 

Spoiler

Slap Lead
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Attack / 128 Def / 128 SpDef 

• Fake-Out
  • Low Kick / Cross Chop
  • Thunderpunch
  • Ice Punch

An impressively bulky lead that can support your team through Fake-Out, as well as perfect coverage on the tier with STAB Low Kick, Ice Punch, and Thunderpunch. The only downfall to Hariyama is its low speed and its predictability. Thick Fat is a better option considering how rare status is in doubles and the fact that it can now swap into predicted Ice and Fire-type attacks. 

Spr_5b_214_m.pngHeracross

Base Stats: 500 (80/125/75/40/95/85)

- An insanely powerful threat with amazing wall-breaking capabilities, unfortunately there just aren't that many walls in doubles for it to really make a difference. The fortunate thing is that it is a bit bulky and can easily make a niche for itself in doubles without any easily abused weaknesses. 

Spoiler

Bulky Offense
Item: Leftovers / Choice Band
Ability: GUTS
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Attack / 4 Spe

• Megahorn
  • Rock Slide
  • Brick Break
  • Earthquake / Protect

With its relatively poor speed for an offensive juggernaut, Heracross is not going to benefit from max speed in the doubles tier. Throwing on a significant amount of bulk and letting it swing away with Choice Band provides a handy attacker for mid-to-early gameplay.

Endursal
Item: Salac Berry
Ability: Swarm
EVs: 252 Attack / 4 Def / 252 Spe
  • Megahorn
  • Rock Slide
  • Endure
  • Reversal

With Endure, Heracross can surprise an offensive opponent and abuse its insane power with 200 BP Reversal at 1HP or a Swarm-boosted Megahorn. Once you've set up the Salac at 1HP pair it with a Follow-Me user and pray you can kill anything with a multi-hit move before they can touch you. 

Swords Dance
Ability: GUTS
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Attack / 4 Spe
  • Swords Dance
  • Megahorn
  • Rock Slide / Rock Blast
  • Brick Break / EQ / Bullet Seed / Protect

Heracross has a surprising amount of bulk and can really take advantage of this with a Follow-Me partner. Resisting EQ and taking neutral damage from Rock Slide, Heracross can certainly stay on the field and go to war all while establishing a +2 attack boost via Swords Dance. The speed isn't really an issue since you want to be able to live a hit or two and remove a few of your opponents Pokemon along the way. Rock Blast is there to inflict maximal target rather than the split damage by Rock Slide, and your choice of a 4th move really comes down to playstyle and what you're weak to. 

hitmontop.pngHitmontop

Base Stats: 455 (50/95/95/35/110/70)

- Despite its deceiving stats, Hitmontop is one of the best supporters in the Doubles meta-game. The combination of Intimidate, Fake out, Helping Hand, rock resistance, and decent mixed bulk allows Hitmontop to help its partner set up, take hits, and deal damage.

- Hitmontop has a very limited offensive pressure, because it is weak to Intimidate and because fighting is a commonly resisted offensive type. Its bulk is also a bit limited with only base 50 HP, which means that it won't necessarily stay around for too long.

Spoiler

Full Support
Item: Sitrus Berry
Nature: Impish

• Fake Out
  • Helping Hand
  • Low Kick
  • Rock Slide / Mach Punch

Standard support set. Fake Out is a very powerful momentum-gaining move and Helping Hand is the best way to support your partner because of the lack of offense. Low Kick is your best offensive move, allowing you to dish out major damage to Snorlax and Tyranitar, as well as some chip damage to heavy Pokemon like Metagross. Mach Punch is a decent alternative to take down fast Pokemon with a sliver of HP left. Other options would be to go 252 HP / 252 Attack and forgo Helping Hand for a more offensive move-set that includes Earthquake.

Spr_5b_135.pngJolteon

Base Stats: 525 (65/65/60/110/95/130)

- Jolteon is one of the fastest pokemon in the game and has enough hitting power to deal with a range of common threats. It is the best remedy to dual screens Starmie as well as being able to OHKO threats like Gyarados and Salamence.

- Jolteon is extremely frail, so it will take massive damage from any physical hit and will easily go down to pokemon with a Dragon Dance under their belt. It also speed ties with Aerodactyl which can be very frustrating. Watch out for Espeed Dragonite as well.

Spoiler

Electric Doge
Item: Leftovers / Nevermeltice 
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Special Attack / 252 Speed

• Thunderbolt
  • Hidden Power Ice 
  • Light Screen / Substitute / Baton Pass / Shadow Ball
  • Protect

This is pretty much the only viable Jolteon set, but it works wonders. Electric + Ice has amazing coverage, and Jolteon has a few cool coverage moves up its sleeve. Fast Light Screen is a great stop to powerful things like Gengar, Substitute can be used for survivability and against double Protects, and Baton Pass is a great switch-out move because of Jolteon's incredible speed. Leftovers works well with Light Screen and Substitute, while Nevermeltice allows Jolteon to gaurantee a OHKO on Salamence. Other options would be to replace HP Ice for HP Grass in order to catch Swampert by surprise. Shadow Ball is available for an immediately powerful attack on Gengar. 

Bring the Thunder

Item: Leftovers / Sitrus Berry

Ability: Volt Absorb

EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpAtt / 252 Spe

• Thunder
  • HP Ice / Grass
  • Rain Dance
  • Protect / Light Screen / Substitute / Shadow Ball

A moveset with immense power, Jolteon can put the instant-hurt on nearly anything with STAB Thunder. Pair this baby with other Pokemon that benefit from the rain and also a Helping Hand user to make Thunder hit that much harder.

kangaskhan.gifKangaskhan

Base Stats: 490 (105/95/80/40/80/90)

- Kangaskhan has access to one of the fastest Fake Outs in the game, as well as being one of few pokemon that actually deals decent damage with Fake Out. Well-rounded stats makes Kangaskhan both durable and offensive.

- Lack of other supportive moves outside of Fake Out forces Kangaskhan to run an offensive move-set, which makes it rather underwhelming after an Intimidate. Its speed is also a bit unfortunate, since a lot of powerful pokemon in doubles have 100+ base speed, and Kangaskhan also lacks any useful ability.

Spoiler

Fast Fake Out
Item: Leftovers / Sitrus Berry / Lum Berry
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Attack / 252 Speed

• Fake Out
  • Double Edge
  • Crunch / Fire Punch / Protect
  • Earthquake / Protect

This set puts on pressure with Fake Out and deals decent damage with STAB Double-Edge. Having Protect on a Fake Out Pokemon can be used as a nice surprise, seeing as the coverage moves will likely not be used very much anyways. Item is totally dependent on personal preference.

Spr_5b_230.pngKingdra

Base Stats: 540 (75/95/95/95/95/85)

- Kingdra is one of the best Doubles weather users in PokeMMO. With the ability to run a physical, special, or even mixed set, Kingdra is a difficult counter. The only fortunate thing is that Kingdra has major 4MSS and can't be built to destroy everything.

- With incredible resistances, you can only hope to hit Kingdra with your Salamence or Dragonite before it sets up the Rain or a Dragon Dance. Blissey makes for a reliable counter to the majority of sets, as well as Tentacruel. 

Spoiler

Rain God
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 244 HP / 252 SpAtt / 12 Speed

• Muddy Water / Hydro Pump / Surf
  • Ice Beam
  • HP Electric / Protect
  • Rain Dance

A powerhouse of an attacker, the Rain Dance set is really only reliably stopped by Blissey or Tentacruel after the rain is established. The choice between Muddy Water, Hydro Pump, and Surf is only there for your team building and playstyle. Muddy Water has low accuracy but only hits your opponents and offers an accuracy drop of its own, Hydro Pump comes with insane power but only targets one opponent, and Surf can be used to hit both of your opponents and even heal your ally if it carries Water Absorb. 

Mixed Dance
Nature: Naive
EVs: 252 Attack / 28 SpAtt / 228 Speed

• Dragon Dance
  • Waterfall
  • Ice Beam 
  • Rain Dance / HP Electric / Outrage

This set comes with a certain amount of surprise in the doubles field and can be used with other special attacking Rain Dancers to keep up the offensive pressure. While Waterfall isn't the strongest move in the doubles game, it does offer coverage on some of the bigger threats such as Aerodactyl and Tyranitar. Ice Beam is there for the dragons while the option for the last moveset comes down to whether you need Waterfall to hit harder. HP Electric is there for Gyarados, while Outrage is there for an additional STAB move. 

Anti-Meta
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpAtt / 252 Speed

• Muddy Water / Hydro Pump / Surf
  • Dragon Breath
  • Signal Beam
  • Rain Dance

For that moment when you're just sick and tired of other Rain teams or common threats bowling you over. Dragonbreath for Kingdra and other dragons that don't particularly like being paralyzed, Signal Beam for Ludicolo, and then Rain Dance to provide the speed to break through and team. 

Spr_5b_272_m.pngLudicolo

Base Stats: 480 (80/70/70/90/100/70)

- Ludicolo is one of the most well rounded Pokemon in the doubles meta. It has the ability to run defensive or support sets thanks to its fantastic typing, incredible bulk, and great moveset, or run strong offensive sets with rain support

- Its typing leaves it with resistances to some of the more powerful moves in the meta; soaking up Earthquakes, Muddy Water's, and Meteor Mash'es with ease

- Hilariously weak against Gengar and anything packing a neutral STAB move, Ludicolo has to rely on a Swift Swim boost in the rain to stop almost any faster threat 

Spoiler

Dancing in the Rain

EVs: 164 HP/252 Attack/92 Speed
  • Waterfall
  • Swords Dance
  • Thunder Punch/Ice Punch
  • Rain Dance/Protect/Fake Out
The perfect scenario with this set is to have a Rain Dance user put the rain up for you, saving you from wasting two turns setting up a sweep. Waterfall is the obligatory STAB move capable of pummeling just about anything after Swords Dance and the Rain boost, Swords Dance is a must on Physical Attacking Ludicolo otherwise it just doesn't hit hard enough. Thunder Punch is the ideal coverage move, letting Ludicolo punish Gyarados, Vaporeon and other Pokemon that resist Waterfall, Ice Punch is viable if you are deathly scared of Dragons but losing coverage on Bulky waters is not recommended. The last slot is a preference slot, Protect or Fake Out if you lead with Ludi is great if you have a partner setting up Rain for you, if not Rain Dance is the best choice. The EVs allow you to hit things hard and outspeed everything bar Electrode and Ninjask in Rain, rest thrown into HP.

Nightmares of Mirror.B
Theme Song, send a link to your opponent and ask him/her to play it just before you start a sweep: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCl1gwX_CVA
Item: Leftovers/Lum Berry
EVs: 164 HP/252 Spatk/92 Speed
  • Hydro Pump/Surf
  • Giga Drain
  • Ice Beam
  • Rain Dance/Protect/Fake Out
Ludicolo is an absolute monster in Rain. Hydro Pump is the preferred choice as the first move as it does amazing single target damage with the weather boost, the only reasons not to take Hydro Pump over Surf is if Ludicolo is being directly supported by a Water Pokemon or you are too worried about the incredibly shaky 80% accuracy. Giga Drain and Ice Beam are the two coverage moves, combined with Hydro Pump nothing resists all of Ludicolo's attacks. Like the above set the final move depends on if you have Rain support coming from a different Pokemon

The most annoying Pokemon in the meta
Ability: Rain Dish
EVs: 252 HP/252 Defense/4 SpDef
  • Ice Beam/Hydro Pump
  • Giga Drain
  • Leech Seed
  • Protect
With maximum defensive investment Ludicolo becomes a wall capable of taking on the strongest physical hitters in the tier, being able to laugh off anything Metagross, Swampert and a plethora of other Physical attackers can throw at it while still walling Rain Dance abusers. Ice Beam is preferred to Hydro Pump as it allows Ludicolo to hit Salamence and Dragonite. Protect is a staple on any wall in Doubles, combined with Leech Seed it turns Ludicolo into an almost invincible wall if played correctly. This set can be altered to a specially defensive set with Hydro Pump over Ice Beam, however it is not recommended as it takes special hits fairly well already

SupportLudi
Nature: Calm
EVs: 252 HP/44 Defense/212 Spdef
  • Fake Out
  • Icy Wind
  • Giga Drain
  • Protect/Teeter Dance/Leech Seed
This set is designed to support the rest of Ludicolo's team. Fake Out locks down an opponent for one turn, Icy Wind slows both opponents, Giga Drain is the damage output. The last slot depends on how bad you want your opponent to get upset with you, protect does as its name suggests. Teeter Dance confuses ALL Pokemon in the battle aside from the user, so be sure to use protect on your partner and watch as the opponent is forced to double switch out or risk confusion. Leech Seed steals HP off opponents even after Ludicolo switches out.

manectric.gifManectric

Base Stats: 475 (70/75/60/105/60/105)

- Manectric has the same offensive presence as Jolteon while additionally having access to Lightning Rod, an amazingly useful supportive ability. Manectric takes it one step further as it is also able to hit Metagross hard with Flamethrower. It is great when used alongside Gyarados or other Electric-weak pokemon and it almost shuts down opposing Jolteon.

- Manectric does not have the speed advantage that Jolteon has, meaning that it doesn't stop Starmie or Gengar, as well is it being outsped by Aerodactyl. Furthermore Manectric lacks in special defense, making it take massive damage from just about any move in the game.

Spoiler

Electric Redirection
Item: Leftovers / Nevermeltice
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Special Attack / 252 Speed

• Thunderbolt
  • Hidden Power Ice / Hidden Power Grass
  • Flamethrower / Light Screen / Substitute
  • Protect

This plays pretty much the same way as Jolteon. Flamethrower is amazing if you can switch in on a Thunder Punch from Metagross, while Substitute can help you keep the Lightning Rod on the field for longer. Again HP Grass is an option if you are worried about Swampert. 

Edited by KaynineXL
spacing