[Comp Guide] Doubles Guide & Builds

The laziness got to me, but I eventually sat down and did another one.

Snorlax

Base stats: 550 (160/110/65/65/110/30)

-Snorlax is the most powerful exploding pokemon in the game, hitting slightly harder with Selfdestruct than Metagross’ Explosion. The advantage of using Snorlax is that you are not forced to give up your steel type in order to explode, as well as Snorlax having significantly better durability against special attackers. This means that against special attackers you are in no hurry to explode, and can use your high attack to dish out significant damage while remaining on the field. In particular rain teams should be wary when facing against Snorlax. With very few pokemon actually carrying fighting moves in doubles, normal typing together with its ice resistance from Thick Fat is not too bad defensively either.
-Snorlax has lackluster defense, as well as being pretty much the slowest pokemon in the metagame. Since you need a lot of attack to remedy potential intimidates, you will notice that Snorlax doesn’t have the staying power it has in singles. Although there are few pokemon with fighting moves, the ones that do carry them tend to shut snorlax down completey. Hitmontop, Dragonite and Heracross are great answers if you can avoid a full power Double Edge coming your way. Metagross’ normal resistance and powerful physical attacks also makes it an ideal Snorlax stop, just watch out for Fire Punches and Earthquakes.

[spoiler]BOMB
Item: Sitrus Berry / Choice Band
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def

• Selfdestruct
  • Double Edge / Body Slam
  • Crunch / Earthquake / Fire Punch
  • Protect / Earthquake / Fire Punch

The spread might seem disappointingly simple, but this both optimizes bulk and attack power. Without band, you still get the OHKO on non-invested Gengar with crunch, OHKO on frail things like Jolteon with Double Edge, as well as being able to 2HKO most of the metagame. Choice band takes this to a new level, where even the likes of Kingdra is within OHKO range of Double Edge, while you can still survive 2 rain- and helping hand boosted Surfs. Choice band does reduce your bulk and flexibility, but opens up for coverage moves such as Earthquake and Fire punch, which will now 2HKO Metagross. Protect is obviously only there if you are using Sitrus Berry, but makes it easier to land a succesful Selfdestruct. Note that all of these remarks can be thrown out the window if Snorlax is intimidated, but Snorlax is all about that Selfdestruct anyways.

Belly Drum
Item: Sitrus Berry
Nature: Impish
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 244 HP/ 252 Def / 12 SDef

• Return
  • Fire Punch / Rock Slide
  • Belly Drum
  • Protect

What did you say? We have a maniac over here? Well, Snorlax is one of the few pokemon, if any, that learns Belly Drum that could potentially use it to attack. First thing to note about this is that you need Follow Me support. After a Belly Drum, Return OHKOs everything that doesn’t resist it, as well as Aerodactyl. The only thing that would survive this is Metagross and ghost pokemon, which both go down to Fire Punch (except Dusclops, which is a 2HKO.) Now, if you are crazy enough to actually attempt this, you might want to consider Rock Slide for the spread damage, because Snorlax is not going to stay around forever, even with Follow Me support. You can take a spread move, even 2 Rock Slides from banded Aerodactyl, but you will eventually go down, and flinches are your worst nightmare. One thing to note is that Psych Up pokemon could steal your attack bonus while you protect, which can be used to your and your opponent’s advantage.[/spoiler]

Edited by PandaJJ
I got bored and decided to do this pokemon
tauros.pngTauros

[spoiler]

Bullshit

Item: Choiceband
Nature: Jolly / Adamant
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 6 HP / 252 ATK / 252 SPEED

• Return / Double Edge
  • Earthquake
  • Pursuit / Quick Attack
  • Rock Tomb / Facade / Iron Tail 

Hits hard and is decently fast enough to hit pokes. Very nice opener due to its intimidate and its threatening position to take anything out with its hard hitting return or earthquake. Although it hits most pokemon decently hard it can be easily countered by a strong and bulky ghost type or other pokemon intimidating it.

Bulls with no horns

Item: Lum Berry
Nature: Jolly / Adamant
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 6 HP / 252 ATK / 252 SPEED

• Return
  • Earthquake
  • Pursuit / Quick Attack
  • Protect

Very similar with the choicebanded tauros because its very existence on the field is very threatening to the opponent. But this tauros has the ability to choose which moves it wants to use and also can protect from incoming Will-o-wisps.

[/spoiler]

EDIT:

btw dusclops gets icy wind too

Edited by JIceJDragon
  • 2 weeks later...

While it's not my call, I see no reason why this should not be moved out of WIP. I feel like this has been requested for a long time and some people don't even know it exists (including at a certain team mate, you know who you are.) The few missing pokemon are among the least important ones, and even when they are done I think some of older sets need an update as well as adding a few underused pokemon. For instance, there is no cosmic power set for clefable (although that set is bad, it's still way better than dual screen clefable.) Also, adding niche pokemon like tentacruel would be nice. 

On another note, I know I promised you slowbro, but I have been busier than expected. I will eventually get around to it if nobody else does it.

Got rekt by this today so... 

giving out for the world to see 

Spr_5b_135.pngJolteon

[spoiler]

Bring the Thunder
Item: Leftovers / Sitrus Berry
Nature: Timid
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Special Attack / 252 Speed

Thunder
Hidden Power Ice / Hidden Power Grass

Rain Dance
Protect / Light Screen / Substitute / Shadow Ball

[/spoiler]

Edited by JIceJDragon

relaxed blast likes EQ as a way to take out jolt/meta/trike/tytr and paired with a ice attack has perfect coverage. decent option to add.

i find follow me clef NEEDs cosmic power more so then helping hand. also does better bold/relaxed with 252 hp 190~ def the rest spec def to be 3hko'd by gar bomb.

something like 

cosmic power

follow me

and

wish + protect

or softboil + h hand/toxic/offensive move

the point of clef is to set up and protect it's team with follow me while the other guy glass cannon or hitter with a tragic flaw that clef can remove for them.

one of the coolest dnites for doubles i ever saw was

impish mixed defensive ev's (i never got the exact # and had to guestimate based of calcs) around 252 hp 200~ def rest spec def

safe guard

swagger

d claw

attack or maybe lightsreen?

no one expects a dnite to set up and support it's ally by doubling it's attack each turn while preventing burn.

a cb adamat gyara with max hp/att does ok in doubles with support form follow me or volt absorb poke. hit hard and intimidate support and can live quit a few hits and immediately hit back hard. unlike dd gyara it cant sweep after a set up if support dies, but it doesnt need to set up and the immediate damage can surprise and get a few kills. live 1 tbolt.

hariyama's cross chop with it's 12.5% crit chance and higher damage vs bliss, clef, umbreon, ect.... can be very useful but you NEED to pp max it.

SD hera with follow me is god. 1 sd and you can 1hko all the dragons. all the multi hit moves but heatwave kinda just bounce off you. baring flinch rs hax 2-3 turns of hera with free reign will win just about any match.

mach on top is bad. no reason to run it in doubles. protect is a much better option, or even rs

a slower bulkier khan with wish and just enough speed to beat meta does better then fast jolly. you only need 100 speed ev's to beat adamant max speed meta and the rest can go to attack/bulk. something like wish/protect/fake out/coverage move does decent as support. wish passing and fake out lets you keep your glass canons alive.

and dual screen star only really needs enough speed to beat gar. the rest should go to def, otherwise you are hit too hard by things like meta and sala after the screen to come back and do it again. once screens are up star needs to hit the road so it's allies can come in and do some damage while they are up.

Thanks Fred, the only unfortunate thing to avoid with these "Player Guides" is diving too far down into the gimmick route and leading players into potentially negative scenarios. For example, Wish Kangaskhan, while effective on paper still carries all of the flaws that a typical Kangaskhan would have while also leaving room for more wide open plays. What I mean is that, when your Kangaskhan uses Wish, or when Wish is used at all, it is pretty easy to decipher whether that Wish is being passed, what it's being passed to, or whether a Protect will happen. I just personally don't find it worth while to add to a "guide" for beginners. The same can be said about your Dragonite set. We have to leave room for creativity in the game rather than spoon feeding every possible set imaginable to players.

With that said, you make valid points about Clefable and Gyarados. It should be mentioned here that bulky CB Gyarados can, and is, effective in doubles. Cross Chop should be an option on Hariyama, as well as Swords Dance on Heracross. The mention for Starmie is up for debate, but again, these guides aren't meant to be the end-all-be-all of each respective meta, but rather something that you can monitor for ideas and maybe even alter these sets a bit for your own personal benefit. An example of this would be the change to Starmie's speed from 183 to 179. Does that extra bulk really matter? Maybe not, but it never hurts for someone that knows their calcs. 

EDIT: Updated Clef, Hariyama, Gyarados, and Heracross. 

Edited by DoubleJ

yea dnite is a gimick but a really cool one.

wish khan isnt something i use just kinda cool.

for star

[spoiler]

252 Atk Choice Band Aerodactyl Rock Slide vs. 252 HP / 40 Def Starmie through Reflect: 45-54 (26.9 - 32.3%) -- 46.3% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Choice Band Aerodactyl Rock Slide vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Starmie through Reflect: 48-57 (28.7 - 34.1%) -- 98.1% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Salamence Dragon Claw vs. 252 HP / 40 Def Starmie through Reflect: 51-61 (30.5 - 36.5%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Salamence Dragon Claw vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Starmie through Reflect: 54-64 (32.3 - 38.3%) -- 2.7% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252 Atk Salamence Dragon Claw vs. 252 HP / 40 Def Starmie through Reflect: 76-91 (45.5 - 54.4%) -- 6.3% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252 Atk Salamence Dragon Claw vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Starmie through Reflect: 81-96 (48.5 - 57.4%) -- 47.3% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Gyarados Crunch vs. 252 HP / 40 Def Starmie through Reflect: 66-78 (39.5 - 46.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Gyarados Crunch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Starmie through Reflect: 68-82 (40.7 - 49.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Metagross ThunderPunch vs. 252 HP / 40 Def Starmie through Reflect: 70-84 (41.9 - 50.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Metagross ThunderPunch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Starmie through Reflect: 74-88 (44.3 - 52.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Dragonite Dragon Claw vs. 252 HP / 40 Def Starmie through Reflect: 84-99 (50.2 - 59.2%) -- 78.9% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Dragonite Dragon Claw vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Starmie through Reflect: 88-105 (52.6 - 62.8%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
[/spoiler]
TL;DR it helps a little sometimes a lot. meanwhile the extra speed helps vs other stars which are somewhat of a rarity and not much else.

king me

Edited by fredrichnietze