[Comp Guide] Doubles Guide & Builds

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Got no passion fam, someone can take my work and finish it if they want. Squirtle broke me. 

And to DoubleJ's comment regarding competitive players holding this game together I am sorry but that is far from the truth. The core 100 or so players that play competitive regularly are a minority in this community, a vocal one for sure but a minority non the less.

So please everyone stop trying to validate the need to increase competitive prizes so as to prevent yourselves from grinding similar amounts as others to continue to compete competitively.

Got no passion fam, someone can take my work and finish it if they want. Squirtle broke me. 

If you really don't, I will see what I have time for. I would love to see this finished, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to make it.

As far as the other thread is concerned (which I feel like it's pointless to post in right now), I think most people are misinterpreting what is being said. If you read the lines above:

You just hit the nail on the head. Making money is playing the game. Official competitive tournaments are not meant to be normal gameplay and are by no means meant to supplement normal gameplay. You are required to normally play and obtain money through normal channels whether you play competitive tournaments or not.

What he is saying is that this game is not a simulator - you are not supposed to be able to log in just for tournaments and thereby avoid regular gameplay. This is of course despite the fact that this was possible for a long time due to an overlook. Raising the money price to simulate the reward of regular gameplay of the participants involved will allow truly skilled players to do this again. The true problem with this game is that the thing that is considered regular gameplay is absolute shit, because it consist mostly of nonsensical grinding. But as far as I can understand the devs already acknowledge this problem and have promised to work towards an improvement for the next update. In order words, this game, despite having been in development for several years, is still far from finished (or playable, rather.) 

I hope that you won't give up completely, it would be a shame to lose you. With that said, I will try to finish this guide if you truly give up on it.

Here we go. I'm not sure whether you have yet abandoned this project or not, but I hope you are still open to help regardless. I will set my personal goal to one pokemon a day, since I have a lot of other things to focus on, starting with metagross. The text is quite long, but also well-deserved for a pokemon that could easily be named the king of doubles. Feel free to edit as usual.

Metagross:

Base Stats: 600 (80/135/130/95/90/70)

-Metagross is the most flexible pokemon in doubles, making it fit into nearly any team if built correctly. There is really no wrong way to build your Metagross, so there are a lot of options in addition to the provided example sets. Among its qualities, it resists the dangerous move Rock Slide, dragon moves from Salamence and Dragonite, as well as having just two weaknesses, one of which is very underpowered in doubles (fire). It is immune to Intimidate with its Clear Body, it has a huge attack stat combined with a huge move pool and it has great natrual bulk. 
-The only significant downsides with metagross is that it is slower than most of the metagame with its 70 base speed, since doubles is very fast-paced. The other one is that its special bulk, when uninvested, leaves it open to strong special attackers such as Jolteon and Gengar. The best answers to Metagross in general are Swampert and Blastoise due to their defenses and typing.

[spoiler]Dragon Slayer
Item: Lum Berry/ Sitrus Berry / Leftovers
Nature: Adamant/Jolly
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 4 HP/ 252 Attack / 252 Speed

Ice punch
Earthquake
Meteor Mash / Thunderpunch
Explosion / Protect / Thunderpunch

If there is anything such as a standard set for metagross, this is it. Metagross is the best answer to dragons in the game, so it is very natural to run Ice Punch. Earhquake gives perfect coverage, as well as hitting opposing metagross and dealing good damage in general. Thunderpunch is great for Gyarados, but oftentimes you will hit into Lightningrod users which can typically retaliate quite hard. For this reason, Meteor Mash is a great alternative, despite having medicore coverage. It is also metagross’ strongest move, allowing it to have a shot at OHKO things such as Gengar. Explosion is a very powerful move if you can pull it off, but Protect is also sensible if you want to preserve your dragon counter. Having four attacks is another option if you want to be more flexible offensively, especially good when faced with something like Blastoise. The spread simply optimizes attack and speed, in order to hit hard and outspeed opposing Metagross. Lum berry is for the occasional Will-O-Wisp users, or even Thunder Wave users, while Sitrus Berry and Leftovers provide longlivety (Leftovers goes better with Protect.)

Choice Band
Item: Choice Band
Nature: Adamant/Jolly
EVs: 4 HP/ 252 Attack / 252 Speed

Ice Punch
Earthquake
Meteor Mash / Rock Slide / Explosion
Explosion / Trick

While being almost the same as the above set, the Choice Band set is a little more inflexible, packs more damage and possibly a few other tricks. Rock Slide is a real option here, since Metagross will 2HKO any dragon with it, and bypasses follow me. With the speed, you can also pick up some flinches with it. Explosion is worth another mention, since with the Choice Band, Metagross actually kills a lot of things with - even defensive behemots such as Vapreon lose more than 3/4th from banded Explosion. Trick is an interesting move for flexibility, as you can opt to give away the Choice Band to something that doesn’t want it and then be free to select your moves freely.

Agility
Item: Leftovers / Sitrus Berry / Lum Berry
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 124 HP/ 252 Attack / 132 Speed

Ice Punch
Earthquake
Rock Slide / Meteor Mash
Agility

This set reaches 107 speed, which is enough to outspeed Marowak without any boosts, while also outspeeding everything barring Ninjask after Agility. With Agility, Metagross can become quite scary, especially next another fast threat. Except from Agility, the moves are the same as above, with Rock Slide being preferred to beat Blastoise plus Salamence due to the lack of Explosion and Thunderpunch and the ability to flinch. Items are the same as before, but it is a bit more difficult to choose since you really want both status immunty and longlivety. However, if you can pull off an agility without being burned or paralyzed, you can focus on the possible status spreaders, which is why Leftovers is recommended.

Psych Up
Item: Leftovers / Sitrus Berry / Lum Berry
Nature: Careful
EVs: 252 HP/ 124 Spdef / 132 Speed

Earthquake
Rock Slide
Agility
Psych up

This is a gimmick set that can destroy any unprepared opponent. The idea is to first Psych Up a Belly Drum boost from your partner, say Snorlax
, and then set up Agility to outspeed everything. The EVs reach 107 speed as above, while optimizing bulk in order to be able to set up. Between Earthquake and Rock Slide there is nothing that escapes without major damage.[/spoiler]

EDIT: Fixed about 20 typos.

EDIT 2: Forgot that you have to use agility after psych up, as you otherwise erase the agility boost. Panda making silly mistakes again.

Edited by PandaJJ

Blastoise might be worth an add with follow me and maybe fake out, cant remember if it gets it. Is a sexy guide though love your work.

I think the meta changed quite a bit since this thread was made, since blastoise is certainly worthy of a spot here while weezing absolutely isn't. It does get both fake out and follow me, and is currently one of the best available (support) pokemon. I have a mental note of a few other pokemon to add to this list once the current one is completed (including blastoise and tentacruel)

Sweet, I'll pick up Rhydon and Tauros then before week's end (school is back, so can't grind everything). But hey guys, I really freaking appreciate the help on this. I know this could be a pretty big help for some players interested in doubles, especially with staff trying to promote it a bit more for an eventual series. 

Thanks!

Praying for no errors this time around:

Blastoise

Base stats: 530 (79/83/100/85/105/78)

-With access to the supportive moves Fake Out and Follow Me, good defenses and a nice typing, Blastoise is a top tier bulky water in doubles. It is possibly the best pokemon to have next to a set-up pokemon like Salamence, Dragonite or Tyranitar.
-Like other Follow Me users, Blastoise does not stop spread moves from hitting its partner, which can be problematic. Rock Slide, Earthquake, Surf and Explosion are amoing the options you can use to hit its partner, at which point Blastoise becomes useless. It also has limited offensive options, so be careful of not letting it become a sitting duck.

[spoiler]
Support Turtle
Item: Sitrus Berry / Leftovers
Nature: Calm
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 164 Def / 92 SDef
  • Follow Me
  • Fake Out
  • Icy Wind / Blizzard
  • Muddy Water / Protect
This set is your only reason to use Blastoise. Fake Out plus Follow Me allows you to disrupt the opponent from attacking your partner. Icy Wind is for slowing them down, while Blizzard is a more offensive option to get 2HKOs on stuff like Salamence without worrying about opposing Blastoise. Muddy Water is your better STAB move, which can both disrupt with accuracy drops and take advantage of Torrent. Protect can be nice to stop the opponent from simply focusing down on Blastoise with Thunderbolts and Giga Drains. The Sitrus Berry allows Blastoise to take some surprising hits, while leftovers will pay off more in the long run. The spread optimizes the bulk on both sides, but can be changed by preference. For the most part Blastoise will just use Follow Me, while using the other moves to wiggle out of difficult situation.
[/spoiler]

EDIT: Spoiler is messed up, no idea how to fix

Praying for no errors this time around:

Blastoise

Base stats: 530 (79/83/100/85/105/78)

-With access to the supportive moves Fake Out and Follow Me, good defenses and a nice typing, Blastoise is a top tier bulky water in doubles. It is possibly the best pokemon to have next to a set-up pokemon like Salamence, Dragonite or Tyranitar.
-Like other Follow Me users, Blastoise does not stop spread moves from hitting its partner, which can be problematic. Rock Slide, Earthquake, Surf and Explosion are amoing the options you can use to hit its partner, at which point Blastoise becomes useless. It also has limited offensive options, so be careful of not letting it become a sitting duck.

[spoiler]
Support Turtle
EVs: 252 HP / 164 Def / 92 SDef
  • Follow Me
  • Fake Out
  • Icy Wind / Blizzard
  • Muddy Water / Protect
This set is your only reason to use Blastoise. Fake Out plus Follow Me allows you to disrupt the opponent from attacking your partner. Icy Wind is for slowing them down, while Blizzard is a more offensive option to get 2HKOs on stuff like Salamence without worrying about opposing Blastoise. Muddy Water is your better STAB move, which can both disrupt with accuracy drops and take advantage of Torrent. Protect can be nice to stop the opponent from simply focusing down on Blastoise with Thunderbolts and Giga Drains. The Sitrus Berry allows Blastoise to take some surprising hits, while leftovers will pay off more in the long run. The spread optimizes the bulk on both sides, but can be changed by preference. For the most part Blastoise will just use Follow Me, while using the other moves to wiggle out of difficult situation.
[/spoiler]

EDIT: Spoiler is messed up, no idea how to fix

I agree and really like the set. However I think Hydro Pump is worth a mentin, as it can do massive damage on a sngle target.

I agree and really like the set. However I think Hydro Pump is worth a mentin, as it can do massive damage on a sngle target.

That is true. I personally dislike that move due to accuracy, but it could be included as an alternative to muddy water.

although it isn't used too much i think pory is a pretty decent poke to use in doubles. it's got reliable recovery with twave support and trace is still pretty op (still not sure how it works in doubles though, but 50/50 right haha) it can check the rain pokes and *some* phys attackers depending on the build of it.

Dear god Ludicolo was a pain in the ass, managed to whittle it down to 4 sets I feel are the most viable. Let me know if you want me to add another or something (also feel free to edit)

[spoiler]

Base Stats: 480 (80/70/70/90/100/70)

- Ludicolo is one of the most well rounded Pokemon in the doubles meta. It has the ability to run defensive or support sets thanks to its fantastic typing, strong bulk and great moveset, or run strong offensive sets with rain support
- Strong typing leaves it with resistances to some of the most powerful moves in the meta, soaking up earthquakes, muddy water's and meteor mash with ease
- Hilariously weak vs Gengar and anything packing a STAB move it is weak to when outside of Rain

Dancing in the Rain
Item: Lum Berry
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 164 HP/252 Attack/92 Speed

Waterfall
Swords Dance
Thunder Punch/Ice Punch
Rain Dance/Protect/Fake Out

The perfect scenario with this set is to have a Rain Dance user put the rain up for you, saving you from wasting two turns setting up a sweep. Waterfall is the obligatory STAB move capable of pummeling just about anything after Swords Dance and the Rain boost, Swords Dance is a must on Physical Attacking Ludicolo otherwise it just doesn't hit hard enough. Thunder Punch is the ideal coverage move, letting Ludicolo punish Gyarados, Vaporeon and other Pokemon that resist Waterfall, Ice Punch is viable if you are deathly scared of Dragons but losing coverage on Bulky waters is not recommended. The last slot is a preference slot, Protect or Fake Out if you lead with Ludi is great if you have a partner setting up Rain for you, if not Rain Dance is the best choice. The EVs allow you to hit things hard and outspeed everything bar Electrode and Ninjask in Rain, rest thrown into HP.

Nightmares of Mirror.B
Theme Song, send a link to your opponent and ask him/her to play it just before you start a sweep: [spoiler] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCl1gwX_CVA[/spoiler]
Item: Leftovers/Lum Berry
Nature: Modest
EVs: 164 HP/252 Spatk/92 Speed

Hydro Pump/Surf
Giga Drain
Ice Beam
Rain Dance/Protect/Fake Out

Ludicolo is an absolute monster in Rain. Hydro Pump is the preferred choice as the first move as it does amazing single target damage with the weather boost, the only reasons not to take Hydro Pump over Surf is if Ludicolo is being directly supported by a Water Pokemon or you are too worried about the incredibly shaky 80% accuracy. Giga Drain and Ice Beam are the two coverage moves, combined with Hydro Pump nothing resists all of Ludicolo's attacks. Like the above set the final move depends on if you have Rain support coming from a different Pokemon

The most annoying Pokemon in the meta
Item: Leftovers
Nature: Bold
Ability: Rain Dish
EVs: 252 HP/252 Defense/4 SpDef

Ice Beam/Hydro Pump
Giga Drain
Leech Seed
Protect

With maximum defensive investment Ludicolo becomes a wall capable of taking on the strongest physical hitters in the tier, being able to laugh off anything Metagross, Swampert and a plethora of other Physical attackers can throw at it while still walling Rain Dance abusers. Ice Beam is preferred to Hydro Pump as it allows Ludicolo to hit Salamence and Dragonite. Protect is a staple on any wall in Doubles, combined with Leech Seed it turns Ludicolo into an almost invincible wall if played correctly. This set can be altered to a specially defensive set with hydro pump over ice beam, however it is not recommended as it takes special hits fairly well already

SupportLudi
Item: Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP/44 Defense/212 Spdef

Fake Out
Icy Wind
Giga Drain
Protect/Teeter Dance/Leech Seed

This set is designed to support the rest of Ludicolo's team. Fake out locks down an opponent for one turn, Icy Wind slows both opponents, Giga Drain is the damage output. The last slot depends on how bad you want your opponent to get upset with you, protect does as its name suggests. Teeter Dance confuses ALL Pokemon in the battle aside from the user, so be sure to use protect on your partner and watch as the opponent is forced to double switch out or risk confusion. Leech Seed steals HP off opponents even after Ludicolo switches out.

[/spoiler]
Edited by DoctorPBC

Pory is on the list with Tentacruel with pokemon that are viable, but niche. On that note, I think I will not do a write-up on Tentacruel after all, just finish the current list.

Swampert:

Base stats: 535 (100/110/90/85/90/60)

-Swampert has very well-balanced stats and an amazing typing. Being able to somewhat deal with Metagross, Tyranitar, Aerodactyl and the dragons makes Swampert a threat to look out for. Furthermore, resistance to poison and immunety to electric allows it to switch in to the STAB moves of the strongest special attackers in the game, Gengar and Jolteon. Swampert is a Pokemon that tends to stay around and hits a lot of things for super effective damage.
-Although it does take Sludge Bombs, it does not take Giga Drains or even Shadow Balls from Gengar very well. In general, grass pokemon like Ludicolo and Venusaur totally shuts it down, as well as the occasional HP Grass Jolteon. Swampert’s speed is very poor, so it’s also prone to being double targeted by strong attackers.

[spoiler]'Special' Attacker
Nature: Relaxed
EVs: 252 HP / 108 Def / 148 SAtk

• Ice Beam / Blizzard
  • Muddy Water / Hydro Pump
  • Earthquake
  • Protect / Toxic

The merit of running a special-based set is that you can work around Intimidate. This spread makes sure that your attacks are not too weak - it is modeled after getting a OHKO with Ice Beam on non-invested Salamence, and it also gets a OHKO on Aerodactyl with Hydro Pump. It does take physical hits, especially Rock Slides. It survives two Dragon Claw from +1 Salamence with Sitrus Berry, which should give you an idea of it’s natural bulk. Do also note that Swampert’s water moves hit really hard when Torrent is activated. Finally, Toxic is a gimmick option for things like Blissey, Slowbro and other bulky waters.

‘Physical' Attacker
Nature: Relaxed
EVs: 252 HP / 188 Atk / 76 Def

• Earthquake
  • Rock Slide
  • Ice Beam / Ice Punch
  • Protect / Superpower / Toxic

This is similar to the above set, but with physical investment instead. While this set hits much harder with Earthquake, as well as being able to take advantage of Rock Slide, it is very weak to intimidate. It does have the power to 2HKO standard Metagross with Earthquake, 2HKO Aeridactyl with Rock Slide, if it is not intimidated. It is recommended to run Ice Beam despite being weaker than Ice punch for this reason. This set also has the power to OHKO Tyranitar with Superpower, if you really want that.[/spoiler]

tyranitar.gifTyranitar
[spoiler]

Godzilla
Item: Lum Berry
Nature: Jolly 
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 6 HP / 252 ATK / 252 SPEED

• Rock Slide
  • Dragon Dance
  • Crunch / Brick Break / Dragon Claw / Pursuit
  • Earthquake / Protect

Tyranitar is a very strong and specially defensive pokemon with its sandstorm up, but lacks in speed and defenses when fighting types come out due to its 4x weakness to fighting moves. The Dragon Dance set allows tyranitar to kill most apposing pokemon with its rock slide hitting both pokemon, But only getting 1 DD might not be enough as aerodactyl still outspeeds tyranitar even after 1 DD and can easily ohko you with earthquake.  Other pokemon that counter tyranitar effectively are metagross, hitmontop, and any type of intimidate pokemon or pokemon with a high defense stat that can kill tyranitar with an earthquake or special move.

Choice Band Godzilla
Item: Choice Band
Nature: Jolly / Adamant 
EVs: 6 HP / 252 ATK / 252 SPEED

• Rock Slide
  • Earthquake
  • Crunch 
  • Brick Break / Dragon Claw / Pursuit

Hits hard but doesn't have a huge amount of moves and tyranitar isn't that fast so many pokemon can outspeed it and kill it before it is able to hit.

Special Godzilla
Item: lum berry / Sitrus berry
Nature: Naive / Hasty / Rash 
EVs: 14 ATK / 252 SATK / 244 SPEED

• Ice Beam
  • Rock Slide
  • Earthquake / Crunch / Pursuit
  • Flamethrower / Superpower / Fire Blast

Special tyranitar is a surprise to all, but you need full special attack for pokemon like dragonite and metagross. 244 speed is to outspeed max speed adamant metagross and the rest of the EVs go into attack.
[/spoiler]
Spr_5b_134.pngVaporeon
[spoiler]

Water support
Item: Leftovers / Sitrus Berry
Nature: Bold / Modest
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 DEF / 6 SATK

• Surf / Muddy Water
  • Icy wind / Ice beam / Blizzard
  • Helping Hand / Rain Dance
  • Protect

This set allows not only vaporeon to hit hard with muddy water, but also allows you to set up strategically with rain dance if you are planning on running a rain dance team or help kill another pokemon with rain dance. This set is not meant to try and kill pokemon but just  stop a sweeping pokemon or lower its opponent's speed with icy wind or accuracy with muddy water so that you can set up.

Waterbender
Item: Leftovers / Sitrus Berry
Nature: Modest
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 44 HP / 212 DEF / 252 SATK

• Muddy Water
  • Ice beam / Blizzard
  • HP Electric / Helping Hand
  • Protect / Hyper Voice

[/spoiler] 
If i forgot or missed anything just tell me : P
I didn't write really big and long descriptions so you guys can add onto that