The Pokemon Showdown Thread

2 hours ago, londark said:

suggestion for a solid check/counter for magearna?

I've been having lot's of issues stopping it cause after a set up it's pretty much GGWP due to the stats, ability, and coverage....And it's not really that hard for it to set up a Shift Gear...

It really depends on the set. Celesteela, Heatran, and Ferrothorn are all pretty solid at checking Mag, but you NEED to be able to pivot effectively into the Z-moves. Mega venu and Toxapex are pretty solid but again, can be easily destroyed by a giga volt havoc or steelium z respectively. Chansey and Jirachi are its only true counters, and even then, Mag can just pivot out on you.

imo ban magearna its lame as shit

5 hours ago, londark said:

suggestion for a solid check/counter for magearna?

I've been having lot's of issues stopping it cause after a set up it's pretty much GGWP due to the stats, ability, and coverage....And it's not really that hard for it to set up a Shift Gear...

Volcarona is fairly safe if you are good at keeping rocks off your field, even Gigavolt in electric terrain has to get a good roll to OHKO

On Tuesday, August 29, 2017 at 2:49 PM, Gunthug said:

Excadrill/Alola wak are two pretty reliable checks. Mega camerupt as well

Kinda late, but I have been using vest Excadrill often and I must admit it is really good. Deals with most of shiftgearnas, double dancers. Only gets fukd by a well predicted All Out Pummeling which surely is problematic but not all sets carrynit

On higher ladder you will most likely see them using Gigavolt Havoc as Z move of choice (1700+) so Exca does make sense.

I wish it could knock off doe

10 hours ago, RysPicz said:

Kinda late, but I have been using vest Excadrill often and I must admit it is really good. Deals with most of shiftgearnas, double dancers. Only gets fukd by a well predicted All Out Pummeling which surely is problematic but not all sets carrynit

On higher ladder you will most likely see them using Gigavolt Havoc as Z move of choice (1700+) so Exca does make sense.

I wish it could knock off doe

I haven't tried it in gen 7 yet, but back in gen 6, there was usually the split decision Of running vest with attack evs (since you're forced to only running attacking moves) or go with a max sp def leftovers set that gets to utilize toxic/stealth rock for pesky sableye teams. I'm not sure if it's worth running max sp def vest now or not, as excadrill mostly relies on its typing to check a lot of threats. I guess vest would be most useful for gengar/lele (assuming it can tank a stab attack+focus blast)

18 minutes ago, BurntZebra said:

I haven't tried it in gen 7 yet, but back in gen 6, there was usually the split decision Of running vest with attack evs (since you're forced to only running attacking moves) or go with a max sp def leftovers set that gets to utilize toxic/stealth rock for pesky sableye teams. I'm not sure if it's worth running max sp def vest now or not, as excadrill mostly relies on its typing to check a lot of threats. I guess vest would be most useful for gengar/lele (assuming it can tank a stab attack+focus blast)

I definitely prefer the non AV set since it's so damn reliable for setting up rocks. Important to note it comes in effortlessly against koko and even when it uturns out, drill isn't passive enough to give away too much momentum. To be fair though I actually havent run av drill in smou so maybe I'll give it a shot. I'm guessing it's dual stabs spin and then, what, rock slide?

Generally it`s EQ, Iron Head, Spin and Rock Slide to get the best coverage/damage out of it. I`ve seen a bunch of Poison Jab ones as well, but i'm not sure what's usefull for, and XScissor, and i remember this one clearly cause it ohkod my Celebi once. But i don`t know/remember the exact sets those were running

Just now, Gunthug said:

I definitely prefer the non AV set since it's so damn reliable for setting up rocks. Important to note it comes in effortlessly against koko and even when it uturns out, drill isn't passive enough to give away too much momentum. To be fair though I actually havent run av drill in smou so maybe I'll give it a shot. I'm guessing it's dual stabs spin and then, what, rock slide?

Rock slide is probably the best. It gets poison jab or x scissor, poison jab is only really useful for tapu bulu, which generally doesn't come in vs excadrill anyways as its slower than offensive sets and gets hit hard by iron head. Rock tomb is an option I suppose as it can probably outspeed some interesting stuff at -1 speed and the chip damage probably helps it get some kos on threats as well. 

8 hours ago, londark said:

Thinking back on it i guess Poison Jab could also net a surprise KO on some Brelooms that decide to set up on it

Breloom isn't very common anymore- at least not enoguh to warrant a poison jab over rock slide. If you do not have a Chansey in your team, believe me, you do not want Zard-y to have such an easy switch in on you.