The Pokemon Showdown Thread

Yeah, it's not a ladder where you are high if you play a lot. If you're well ranked, you're automatically in a very good win streak.

That's why getting a good elo is more indicative than a good GXE, about the current level at least.

wp Sweet btw

Edited by XPLOZ
9 minutes ago, XPLOZ said:

Yeah, it's not a ladder where you are high if you play a lot. If you're well ranked, you're automatically in a very good win streak.

That's why getting a good elo is more indicative than a good GXE, about the current level at least.

wp Sweet btw

the way I had it explained to me (a while ago) was, GXE is your % likelyhood of winning any given match you enter. Whereas, exactly like you said, ELO is more determined by the streak youre currently on - you can tilt and lose 3 in a row which will harshly affect your ELO, but your GXE will stay pretty stable

Yeah ELO isn't always a good indicative of skill because you could win vs 10 randoms and still have a high elo. Your GXE changes mostly based on your performances vs the higher ranking players in the ladder, that's why if you win like 7-8 games vs randoms, your GXE stays around the 70% ish range.

Edited by NikhilR
23 minutes ago, Gunthug said:

the way I had it explained to me (a while ago) was, GXE is your % likelyhood of winning any given match you enter. Whereas, exactly like you said, ELO is more determined by the streak youre currently on - you can tilt and lose 3 in a row which will harshly affect your ELO, but your GXE will stay pretty stable

Finally, the GXE is a lot affected by the account you're using. I'm using my account with which I started DPP and lost a ton of battles at the beginning. If I took an other account when I was becoming decent, my GXE would be much better. Same for Sweet who was playing with this account to test stuff during a long time (if I remember well).

Beating randoms doesn't increase much your elo anyway (you win like 3pts against a random, who could be an alt of a good player), and the ladder will most likely bring you opponents from your elo range (when you're into the top10, it's very rare to be against a 'beginner'). So I believe that it is difficult to falsify the elo.

Edited by XPLOZ