NU Tier Discussion Request Thread

2 minutes ago, pachima said:

yeah, careful raichu walls physical orineted mixed elctabuzz all day.

also, grumpig is faster than absol and can ruin it with hidden power/ signal beam on switch

You need to build Grumpig differently if you want to fight off Absol, and you need to wonder if it's worth it considering Absol often runs scarf. It's not so efficient at taking special hits when its got enough speed for absol, and enough sp atk to ohko Absol.

• 4 weeks later...

Can we discuss Absol? I believe it's too strong for NU, 130 base attack+STAB Pursuit+average speed (amazing to run scarf on) Most people avoid running Psychic types except for Grumpig (which unless it's built to counter absol it will be easily be removed with Pursuit). It has like 22% usage (4th highest) being the most used physical sweeper in the tier, obviously because it's too good not to use.

3 minutes ago, LifeStyle said:

Can we discuss Absol? I believe it's too strong for NU, 130 base attack+STAB Pursuit+average speed (amazing to run scarf on) Most people avoid running Psychic types except for Grumpig (which unless it's built to counter absol it will be easily be removed with Pursuit). It has like 22% usage (4th highest) being the most used physical sweeper in the tier, obviously because it's too good not to use.

2 % higher usage is hitmontop, which can come in and resist megahorn/dark moves and intimidate absol. it even has mach which is a 1hko 

calcs

-1 252+ Atk Choice Band Absol Bite vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hitmontop: 21-25 (13.3 - 15.9%) -- possibly the worst move ever
-1 252+ Atk Choice Band Absol Megahorn vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hitmontop: 28-33 (17.8 - 21%) -- possible 7HKO after Leftovers recovery
-1 252+ Atk Choice Band Absol Superpower vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hitmontop: 56-67 (35.6 - 42.6%) -- 95.9% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

0 Atk Hitmontop Mach Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Absol: 66-80 (47.1 - 57.1%) -- 90.6% chance to 2HKO

also if absol super powers then mach is a 2hko doing 

0 Atk Hitmontop Mach Punch vs. -1 0 HP / 0 Def Absol: 102-120 (72.8 - 85.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

and you can run resto chesto or sleep talk if you are concerned about healing.

~keeps scrolling down usage list~

gligar which recently joined nu is sitting at 8.59% and it can shit on all absols.

im all out of calcs try again next week

so 2 solid counters (rip nidoqueen we shall miss you)

and how many checks? oh right everything thats faster just about. it's base 70 iirc so thats quiet a few things. remind you of something?

https://img.pokemondb.net/artwork/marowak.jpg

Yeah Fred, you are counting switch-ins. But from definition, Absol pursuit-traps a poke, meaning that the switching in poke does not take damage, the switching out does. I also think Absol is too strong for NU although my experience with the tier is abysmal when it comes to practice because I only tend to fuck around with my Seaking, Yanma, Magcargo, Murkrow and some other literally shit pokes for shits and giggles. But as usual I've been spectating a lot and I hear a lot from other people. 130 base atk combined with STAB pursuit and a really nice movepool makes Absol a terryfying force on the battlefield able to break walls without much of an effort and not giving a shit about ghost/ psychic types in the tier at all either. Having an Absol on the field against your Ghost/ Psychic type is a literally 50/50 gamble: you stay, bite kills you, you switch out, pursuit kills you.

Regardless I feel like Electabuzz is even a bigger problem but whatever, NU is one huge clusterfuck and noone seems to be taking care of it + I think Absol might get moved up by usage into UU judging from what I saw this far.

Edited by RysPicz
5 minutes ago, RysPicz said:

Yeah Fred, you are counting switch-ins. But from definition, Absol pursuit-traps a poke, meaning that the switching in poke does not take damage, the switching out does. I also think Absol is too strong for NU although my experience with the tier is abysmal when it comes to practice because I only tend to fuck around with my Seaking, Yanma, Magcargo, Murkrow and some other literally shit pokes for shits and giggles. But as usual I've been spectating a lot and I hear a lot from other people. 130 base atk combined with STAB pursuit and a really nice movepool makes Absol a terryfying force on the battlefield able to break walls without much of an effort and not giving a shit about ghost/ psychic types in the tier at all either. Having an Absol on the field against your Ghost/ Psychic type is a literally 50/50 gamble: you stay, bite kills you, you switch out, pursuit kills you.

Regardless I feel like Electabuzz is even a bigger problem but whatever, NU is one huge clusterfuck and noone seems to be taking care of it.

this sounds like a argument for support characteristics not offensive and i dont mess around with this anymore since i quit. i dont play enough nu either. 

21 minutes ago, fredrichnietze said:

2 % higher usage is hitmontop, which can come in and resist megahorn/dark moves and intimidate absol. it even has mach which is a 1hko 

calcs

Hide contents

-1 252+ Atk Choice Band Absol Bite vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hitmontop: 21-25 (13.3 - 15.9%) -- possibly the worst move ever
-1 252+ Atk Choice Band Absol Megahorn vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hitmontop: 28-33 (17.8 - 21%) -- possible 7HKO after Leftovers recovery
-1 252+ Atk Choice Band Absol Superpower vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hitmontop: 56-67 (35.6 - 42.6%) -- 95.9% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

0 Atk Hitmontop Mach Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Absol: 66-80 (47.1 - 57.1%) -- 90.6% chance to 2HKO

also if absol super powers then mach is a 2hko doing 

0 Atk Hitmontop Mach Punch vs. -1 0 HP / 0 Def Absol: 102-120 (72.8 - 85.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

and you can run resto chesto or sleep talk if you are concerned about healing.

~keeps scrolling down usage list~

gligar which recently joined nu is sitting at 8.59% and it can shit on all absols.

im all out of calcs try again next week

so 2 solid counters (rip nidoqueen we shall miss you)

and how many checks? oh right everything thats faster just about. it's base 70 iirc so thats quiet a few things. remind you of something?

https://img.pokemondb.net/artwork/marowak.jpg

Ice beam absol where

25 minutes ago, fredrichnietze said:

calcs

Hello pursuit??? is hitmontop gonna help ur kadabra/xatu/grumpig/anything with low hp live one of those?

Also you said gligar shits on all absols, not really since mixed ice beam can be a thing

Edited by LifeStyle
  • 2 weeks later...

I haven't read many posts here so dunno if someone did it already already, but whatever, I request an Absol discussion thread for being unhealty for the meta,

Psychics type are the best checks for victribeel which can ruin any team, unless you're using Muk (another hassle), also Absol limits the meta leaving no space for good stuff, like misdre, keckleon, solrock and a few others.

• 4 weeks later...

I would like to see a discussion about Victreebell in the NU tier. Victreebell can be used as a growth life orb, Sunny day user or mixed swords dance pokemon (You already see it has several set's that can be used and all work very good. Having that toxic immunity (a move that is used pretty often) and having free switches against most Raichu's and Poliwrath's or predicted toxic's. Victreebell is a really good wallbreaker where even the current special defensive walls (kecleon, raichu and muk) that will switch in most of the times don't appreciate a +2 return or getting poisoned by sludge bomb. Yes it's not the fastest pokemon in the tier but I still think with his high attack, high special attack and several proper sets that can be used, it is a really strong (maybe too strong) pokemon in NU.

Spoiler

Sorry for bad english

5 minutes ago, Liberalisme said:

I would like to hear from the Tier Councils or @Tyrone based on what Nidoking isn't quickbanned in NU. Yeah we can test it but everyone knows it will be broken.

Never-Used is known for the hyper offensive pokemon in there. Nidoking may fit in between all that offense. The Tier Council will keep an eye out for Nidoking, it could get banned to BL2 at any time, so if it is clearly broken we can react to it fast enough.

There's no reason why Nidoking should be instabanned to BL2. It needs a Scarf to sweep the fastest sweepers especially now that Psychic-types have much more room, Electabuzz has Psychic and Raichu has Surf. If Nidoking runs Scarf, needless to say it needs some serious prediction to pull it off. Definitely a force that should be looked on, yes but not making any hasty calls was definitely the right way to go especially with something as pedestrian as Nidoking.

Alright, can someone tell me how to stop a LO mixed Nidoking, without sacking and revenge killing please ?

E: can we even enjoy 1 month of a proper tier without always having to deal with a future broken sweeper 

Edited by Lazaro23
3 minutes ago, OrangeManiac said:

Hitmontop is a fairly solid counter to Nidoking as well.

252+ SpA Life Orb Nidoking Sludge Bomb vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Hitmontop: 57-67 (36.3 - 42.6%) -- 97.6% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 Atk Hitmontop Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Nidoking: 90-108 (57.6 - 69.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

It can't really switch in with any damage tho sadly, and also...

252+ SpA Life Orb Nidoking Sludge Bomb vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Hitmontop: 76-91 (48.4 - 57.9%) -- 62.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

So it's going to have to be built for Nidoking and have to carry some kind of Wish support (rare in NU)

EDIT: But it does do a fairly decent job at stopping any physical Nidoking, but the same can be said about several other mons. 

Edited by DoubleJ

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.