Off Topic Suggestion Thread

Do not make megathreads
Do not pin threads

Stop right now criminal scum

The Laidback Zone is here to stay, it will be treated no differently to the temporary team thread used in The Round Table currently.

There are many who have drawn a comparison between Off Topic and The Round Table.

As far as general conversation goes that comparison is reasonable, this is why the Laidback Zone will be treated in a similar way to a team thread.

We've also borrowed a few of The Round Tables rules for Off Topic.

We can't attention uguu then ?

[spoiler]that filter, I am sure you know what I mean though. It starts with a W [/spoiler]

Yeah, pretty much.

They trashed my SS randomized nuzlocke

rip

You should find it is back where it belongs~

Megathreads? ;_;7 it was nice knowing you off topic

There seems to be a misunderstanding with this one, we don't intend to create a mega thread for everything or many new topics at all.

It simply means we will keeping the current ones such as the Laidback Zone and the General Image/Video thread.

Yeah, pretty much.

So how exactly does that go? We can't post in the diary thread about our woes to get attention ? Or post in the WBYDs thread about how awesome our boyfriends are to get attention and approval from our friends ? Is Attention W-ing allowed on other parts of the forum ? Can people show off their shinys for attention in RT? Or is this just for OT ?

Not sure how it works exactly. If they can see our filtered words, or just be able to post their own without being filtered.

https://forums.pokemmo.eu/index.php?/topic/54492-worried-shiny-encounter-rate/?p=1081805

as you can note here, desu was able to quote a post that was originally censored, and the quote was not censored, which implies

a. they're not censored

b. they can see all the censored words

[spoiler]

unless i call them uguues on purpose

[/spoiler]

https://forums.pokemmo.eu/index.php?/topic/54492-worried-shiny-encounter-rate/?p=1081805
as you can note here, desu was able to quote a post that was originally censored, and the quote was not censored, which implies
a. they're not censored
b. they can see all the censored words
[spoiler]
unless i call them uguues on purpose
[/spoiler]

Still doesn't prove it. You would have to see them put a word in the censor, see a post where it's censored, and then have them remove the word from the censor and go back to the said post and see that the word is still censored. If it's no longer censored and posted as intended then what you're saying is true.

Atleast they gave us some sort of update. I may not agree with everything, but its still progress. The only threads that should be deleted are the extremely low post count ones, and the duplicate ones. RIP OT Memories.

Basically what's happening!

...for now

That is only something that Daft can answer but before that Xela was modding OT on his own and then after him Jindu was as well. Daft was also a new mod as well and in hindsight he probably should not have been put into Off Topic while he was still trying to find his feet. It's pretty daunting when you first become staff as you want to make a good impression to the posters so there is a habit of over thinking everything. 

xela and jindu were some of the most disliked off topic mods of all time. a majority of the people here would not like to see them or someone like them in a position of power in OT. daft in his short term was very well liked by a majority of the community. you can also substitute the word like for approval. 

If we need a moderator who specifically 'understands' the section, then that would imply that it is being treated differently to other sections of the forums.

This isn't 4chan, people should not have to lurk to get a better understanding of a specific sections culture.

If a moderator cannot understand the section then a new user to the forums will have equal amounts of trouble.

Off Topic will be treated the same as any of our other sections and should be able to be moderated by any moderator capable of doing so.

when you go to a foreign country you will quickly find out that you can very easily offend people on accident. in japan if you dont say goodnight to someone every single night they will be grievously offended. in the middle east if you look at a unmarried womans face they will be very offended and will probably hurt/kill you. in india if you eat beef people will be very offended. 

wherever you go in the world, you will find out that the things you do that are "normal" where you are from are offensive to other cultures. further more you may find that other cultures are sometimes offensive or shocking.

throughout history people have traveled to other countrys and tried to make those countrys more like theirs. this almost always results in tragedy. 

pokemmo has people form all over the world and some very different cultures in different parts of the forums. the things that makes these forums sections different also attracts different groups of people. 

/trade is full of people concerned with trading in game and money and scamming and visibility of their threads.

/general is full of new players asking questions, spam, more spam, and a few useful threads related to the game populated by old players.

/comp alley is full of comp players focused on balanced tiers and become the "best that ever was"

/off topic if full of players who used to play and come here to talk to the friends they made and have fun, with a few current players who join in

ect...

while not as different as the middle east vs far east, the different forums section ARE different and if treated as they are all the same cookie cutter sections, problems will ensue. 

I vote we bring back Dumu..dum..zard? (or what ever his name was.)

He fixed it the first time.

[spoiler] See you guys next year, also hey munya [/spoiler]

elkaroo \o/

pls come back we need you

Ahahahaha you fucks can't call me king anymore

sure we can

Still doesn't prove it. You would have to see them put a word in the censor, see a post where it's censored, and then have them remove the word from the censor and go back to the said post and see that the word is still censored. If it's no longer censored and posted as intended then what you're saying is true.

em i can confirm it. i have spoken to a mod about this long ago and they can see what the real words are, aswell as hidden post.

for the 2 or more mods for ot thing, i think it would be a good idea for the reasoning, no one person can be right 100% of the time. and different people see things differently and no one person can see every possible view point. if there are more then one mod running off topic they can collaborate on the difficult decisions and create a better off topic. further more no one mod can mod a section 24/7 and off topic was one of if not the most active forums sections.trade has more post, but 99% of them dont need to be read as they are bumbs or one sentence post "hmu in game" or "how much" ect... while off topic has a lot of high maintenance stuff.

mega threads

pls dont loose our history. the thousands and thousands of post in some of these threads are not worthless.

kings "thread"

this was one guy who REALLY wanted to be op of one thread and everyone else thought it was hilarious or didnt care. there's no need to take this seriously or change policy or whatever. it's seriously just a joke. (one of those culture things)

also +1 to kyu and everyone else involved in the "king" censor thing

I'm thinking of pinning the General Image/Video thread, and the General Music thread.

Probably the Laidback zone. Probably the Anime/Manga thread.

And the General Relationship Advice Thread ft. Kili and orangeslash.

On second thought, maybe not that one.

But yeah. There are just some threads that we really don't want new users to miss because often enough someone just makes a thread and posts a meme.

Are there any other things that come to mind that'd benefit from being advertised at the top?

But yeah, maybe we do want to weed out the really really small threads that get like 2 posts and die because they're waaaay too obscure. Like an 'obscure video game thread' might work better alongside other gaming threads, rather than a single huge one, but also better than a "revenge of the sunfish thread" or something of the sort every few days.

Where'd you get the idea that it'd be me

Probably the latter I think.
If we're gonna treat offtopic like any other forum (aka Gd)

You seemed more involved than any other mod, considering the rest have stayed uninvolved, so I thought it possible.

Also fuck you for not quoting me I thought I was being ignored because I didn't get a notification.

A current mockup of the rules for those interested, this is subject to change:

The threads being removed from Off Topic currently are ones that have passed in relevance, breach these rules or contain content that should be posted in the Laidback Zone (which we intend to keep).

The Laidback zone will be used for more open discussion without a specific topic whilst threads created inside of the section should contain more directed discussion on a particular topic.

These are the same goddamn rules that have always been in existence. All you've added is the terrible pinned thread idea.

Honestly, what was the point of making this thread? "Hey guys, come post your suggestions so we can fucking ignore them and just do what we want?"

You've even added additional clarification about what spam is, which is basically just used as an excuse to throw WPs at anyone you're not a fan of.

• Low content posts.
  • Posts that exist as an excuse to post a particular image/phrase/video when that is not the subject of the thread.
  • Posts that are unproductive or do not contribute anything to the topic of the discussion.
  • Making a post for the sole purpose of garnering either of positive or negative attention from other users.
    This may not encompass every definition of spam and additional definitions may be added as they occur.

That last super small font should really just say, "We're mods, we can do what we want because we're mods."

For example, my last WP encompassed me "spamming" OT. Used as examples were -

1. Me asking "Wait, why was Archinix banned?" IN THE THREAD SPECIFICALLY ABOUT BANNED MEMBERS.

2. Quoting someone's post without adding anything to it. They shared the exact same viewpoint as me. I want to express that on a thread, and that is the best way to do it.

[spoiler] in b4 WP for discussing WPs [/spoiler]

Regardless, you might as well lock this thread. No true communication has happened, just you telling us what you're going to continue doing terribly.

Can we stop the bashing posts targeted towards certain staff members please, it is not needed and will get us nowhere.

Just like thos thread ooooooo

I mean I agree with OS on the fact that this thread has not served its purpose and is wasted space. The thing on TS wasnt intentional it just was a coincidence. If it wasn't then I don't know why you wouldn't alert people about it.

Here's my question, stop me if you've heard this before: why is OT closed?

At this point I wouldn't trust staff to run a damn Burger King. They'd close the place down for a week every time they ran outta toilet paper in the bathrooms

you're also forced to eat in silence because they don't want the McDonalds over the road to think they're uncivilised.