Off Topic Suggestion Thread

There should be at least an update or explanaiton as to whatyou guys are currently even thinking about doing to OT. Even if there is no actual action done at least inform us of the brainstorms/roughdrafts being done in your TS or mod group inbox that way we get an idea and can go from there to ensure a bi-partisan outcome, and not having users fuss and mods stay quiet

There should be at least an update or explanaiton as to whatyou guys are currently even thinking about doing to OT. Even if there is no actual action done at least inform us of the brainstorms/roughdrafts being done in your TS or mod group inbox that way we get an idea and can go from there to ensure a bi-partisan outcome, and not having users fuss and mods stay quiet

• Clearer rules (As the feedback in this thread suggests that they were difficult to understand).
  • Removal of threads that don't adhere to these rules
  • Creation of new general threads to remove bickering over who is OP of a thread and to prevent the thread from 'expiring' once that user leaves.

This is what they're working on ^

^
"To prevent bickering" was not actually the main point of it. It's just a side consequence of the original idea.

Stemmed from "What if we pinned the general image thread?"
And other similar threads. Like the big ones that we don't really want people posting duplicates of.
If the general image thread happens to end up on page 2, chances are someone will create a new thread for something.
Pinning the relevant megathreads just makes for ease of access for new users who don't know the subforum. Even I get lost in there. I don't even know how many big important general threads you guys have in there.

But yeah, then we thought "We should create megathreads based off recurrent themes".
But we found it inconsistent to have some user-created, some staff-created. Like only half of them would have that "official" label on it. So we thought might reassign an OP on all of 'em.
But pinning big threads is the main idea to get out of this, moreso than who's the OP of what.

• Clearer rules (As the feedback in this thread suggests that they were difficult to understand).
  • Removal of threads that don't adhere to these rules
  • Creation of new general threads to remove bickering over who is OP of a thread and to prevent the thread from 'expiring' once that user leaves.

Alright, clearer rules. Cool, I guess. Sure.

Removal of rule breaking threads. Okay, yeah, as long as we understand why. Ok, fine.

New general threads? Nah, no need. Literally no need. In fact there's not even much of a need for general threads, they're actually sort of interruptive, as they interupt the natural flow of the section. That flow being:
Make thread
Post in thread
Lose interest in thread
Thread falls off the first page

Now one of three things happens, either someone remembers the thread and brings it back, someone new makes a new thread about the same subject and a old member links them to the old thread, or finally, someone makes a new thread and it repeats the process. Honestly, why is that so bad that we go through a thread again?

I think the intentions sound good but we haven't had problems with people missing general threads while they weren't pinned. As far as bickering over OPs I don't think anyone has been doing that ? King has been doing that about the anime thread but like... Do you all know that is a fucking joke ? Haha.

I am happy to hear /something/ is being done but this stuff still sounds like it didn't warrant closing OT this long. I truly think the closure had a lot to do with punishing us and with the hope that it wouldn't be reopened. Maybe I am being negative though ? I'll try and move forward.

I guess we can  stop playing the blame game and start working on some actual results... Its ironic from both side who both support maturity and going on about a childish rant such as this.
We're on an off-topic sub-forum of a fucking pokemon game... Its not like ya'll gonna earn a nobel prize or something.

Yeah, let's go ahead and reopen OT soon. I don't care what excuses you give, making new rules for a subforum on here should not take this long. It's not like this is a real life situation, it's a goddamn internet forum.

Just a matter of waiting now. No use arguing, we've discussed all of our posts. Now for something productive! :)

Suggestion time!

For OT, maybe you could remove the dead forums that nobody uses (say 2 or more months of inactivity) and you pin the ones which we want to keep. For 1 or 2 days you can have OT open but no threads can be made for those 2 days. The only thread there will be a poll of what threads to keep. If everyone here says what thread they want, maybe like 10 or so can go to OT. In my opinion, this would benefit the staff and the players because of a few factors;

1. Not as much inactivity! :D

2. Players can be happier that they get their threads back.

3. It would be a lot easier to mod

4. Not as much [spoiler]real[/spoiler] shitposting. I don't mean things like "shit" or "noob". I mean real things like real bullying. If someone makes fun of someone else for their sexuality or their race/gender then sure, hide/delete the post.

---------

Now for my other point. I really think we shouldn't get a highly strict mod for Off-Topic because well, it's off-topic... You can leave it to the players as to who should moderate. I personally like the idea of a player moderating but I also like the idea of a more fun moderator moderating. To me, staff members like DarkShade or Musica are a little too strict. (at least Musica admits it lmao) Normal players like Gilan or Malorne shouldn't moderate either. Gilan is way too strict and Malorne is just... no. Also no King allowed. King is a big no-no! I think that people like Noad should moderate OT. Noad is capable of moderating as well as having a really great personality! Heck, I'd let OrangeManiac or even Deejaye to be moderators. OrangeManiac is a fun-loving leader who knows when things go too far and Deejaye has a sense of leadership and humor. It's just my opinion/suggestion, but please do consider it. ^_^

can you please avoid giant megathreads like "general TV-shows"? they become so messy when people are having several discussions about diffrent shows simultaneounsly. specefic topics are so much better, someone makes a new thread when a new season starts, and the thread dies by itsself when the season is over. 

can you please avoid giant megathreads like "general TV-shows"? they become so messy when people are having several discussions about diffrent shows simultaneounsly. specefic topics are so much better, someone makes a new thread when a new season starts, and the thread dies by itsself when the season is over. 

We can create new memories, PS: Eggplants a noob

I don't see a problem with mega threads, and just because they exist doesn't mean smaller threads for more specific topics can't exist, thats not what I took out of that post at least.

• Creation of new general threads to remove bickering over who is OP of a thread and to prevent the thread from 'expiring' once that user leaves

General threads are bad for the off-topic meta, and no one is really bickering over who is the OP. I also don't see how a thread 'expires'. People will continue to post in that thread, it's not like the OP has to make it live. I suspect the real reason for this is less threads to moderate cause laziness

General megathreads work and have worked in the past, instead of having 12 threads that die out after a month a megathread is always active.

But it depends how specific a megathread is, a general videogame thread wouldn't work, but a general moba thread would

Edited by TheGloriousWalrus

General megathreads work and have worked in the past, instead of having 12 threads that die out after a month a megathread is always active.

But it depends how specific a megathread is, a general videogame thread wouldn't work, but a general moba thread would

Favorite video games thread was essentially a general video game thread and worked out great, actually, but again I don't think they necessarily mean to weed out "smaller" threads.

I'm thinking of pinning the General Image/Video thread, and the General Music thread.

Probably the Laidback zone. Probably the Anime/Manga thread.

And the General Relationship Advice Thread ft. Kili and orangeslash.

On second thought, maybe not that one.

But yeah. There are just some threads that we really don't want new users to miss because often enough someone just makes a thread and posts a meme.

Are there any other things that come to mind that'd benefit from being advertised at the top?

But yeah, maybe we do want to weed out the really really small threads that get like 2 posts and die because they're waaaay too obscure. Like an 'obscure video game thread' might work better alongside other gaming threads, rather than a single huge one, but also better than a "revenge of the sunfish thread" or something of the sort every few days.

I'm thinking of pinning the General Image/Video thread, and the General Music thread.

Probably the Laidback zone. Probably the Anime/Manga thread.

And the General Relationship Advice Thread ft. Kili and orangeslash.

On second thought, maybe not that one.

But yeah. There are just some threads that we really don't want new users to miss because often enough someone just makes a thread and posts a meme.

Are there any other things that come to mind that'd benefit from being advertised at the top?

But yeah, maybe we do want to weed out the really really small threads that get like 2 posts and die because they're waaaay too obscure. Like an 'obscure video game thread' might work better alongside other gaming threads, rather than a single huge one, but also better than a "revenge of the sunfish thread" or something of the sort every few days.

Long live "Our Diary"
Please don't get rid of it, even though it gets so few posts.

Edited by Heimann

I was thinking about a system for this for the Anime threads, which I stated something like "I think having a General Anime thread is great.  It allows you to talk about anime and stuff without making a new thread for every new topic.  It also gives a place to put recommendations and talk about small animes like Acchi Kocchi which don't really need their own thread, however for more popular, new, and/or animes that invoke a lot of discussion forcing said discussion to take place in the General thread would limit the amount of discussion that could be had."

So even if there's a Videogame General thread, having a Fallout 4 thread would be allowed so as to not limit the discussion by funneling it into the General thread along with all the other discussion that's going on.  The problem is that this is abusable, you could end up with a Fallout 4, whatever shit tier EA sports game came out this year, Halo, CoD, etc.
The fix to this I thought might be having an Entertainment sub-section.  It's more to moderate, but it would keep the main section from getting spammed with anime threads, television threads and game threads while still allowing people to have a decent discussion on said topics.

I never talked with the mods about this, but since we have a suggestions thread I can put it here.

Edited by DaftKitteh

Favorite video games thread was essentially a general video game thread and worked out great, actually, but again I don't think they necessarily mean to weed out "smaller" threads.

it only worked out because it wasn't technically a general video game thread, which allowed people to make separate topics for any game they wanted. that was a great way to do it and worked fine.