Off Topic Suggestion Thread

That's great, you or I may be aware of that but a new user and anybody looking in from the outside isn't.

All they are going to see is one user calling another a 'shitter' and that being considered acceptable behavior.

This isn't your Facebook wall, I don't care how friendly you are with someone; speak to others as you would in public.

"Public" is not an internet forum that 20 people visit. It's mostly made up of us. Talking like friends do. I wouldn't call an old lady at a store a shitter, but I probably would if she shut down the store because she heard me call my friend one. I'm afraid your comparison is flawed.

you totally missed the point... How you guys joke around with your friends is not in good taste on the global scale of social behavior -.-

The global scale of social behavior in the 1600's, yes. We're not flinging our verbal dongs into the void, here; we're talking to our friends while you watch from the sidelines, pursing your lips like Margaret Thatcher sucking on a lemon.

Here's a recap of this thread so far.

OT - "Give us OT back"

Mods - "Unfortunately it got too rowdy in there recently so we have to make some changes"

OT - "Just mod better idiots"

Mods - "..." (Daft leaves)

OT - "omg, give OT back; Just hire some of the OT regulars to be mods who know the difference between bad 'fuck you' and good 'fuck you'"

Mods - "Don't you get it? We don't want any kind of 'fuck you'"

OT - "But that's what we want, who cares what you want?"

Mods - "But that's why OT got shut down and is something we have to change; we're in charge here remember? We are just trying to be nice and find a compromise with you guys, hence this suggestion thread"

OT - "omg, give OT back; Just hire some of the OT regulars to be mods who know the difference between bad 'fuck you' and good 'fuck you'"

Mods - "..."

That's literally all that has happened in this thread.

Here's a recap of this thread so far.

OT regulars: What the fuck

Staff: We don't like mean words

OT regulars: Legitimate points

- Legitimate points

- Legitimate points

- Nerd rage

[Post hidden]

Noad: H-hey what if we did this

OT regulars: Just as long as we get the forum back, sure

Darkshade: I don't like you

OT regulars: Why

Darkshade: OT is ruining our sterling reputation

OT regulars: What reputation

Gilan: Please think of the children

OT regulars: Please think of channel chat

Gilan: My butt hurts when other people are right and I need to make a snide post about it

Ftfy.

I think that, while they want you to be able to have your discussions that normally wouldn't be elsewhere, they also want you to do that within the community rules.  You can use the metaphors for public and all these other places, but at the end of the day this isn't either of those.  It is its own community with guidelines set by the ones that created it.   However, if you think a rule is too vague as it seems that was pointed at at some point, maybe make a suggestion for a rule revision?  I have done such a thing before.

Ftfy.

So you all can post snide comments, and I can't? mhmm... I see how it is. Literally post 1 snide comment and it's wrong. o7

edit:

I mean, like seriously, all I was doing was commenting on how you guys may think it's right to fuck around with each other on the off topic forum. But to an onlooker they might be offended/horrified/disgusted, wherein lies the problem. You guys are so concerned about yourselves and don't give a shit about other people, whereas the mods are concerned with everyone.

I read through my posts, and I don't think I was being unreasonable/idiotic at all. Your responding posts sure made me out to be though.

Edited by Gilan

It is its own community with guidelines set by the ones that created it.   However, if you think a rule is too vague as it seems that was pointed at at some point, maybe make a suggestion for a rule revision?  I have done such a thing before.

Yeah, fair enough. Thing is, the rules aren't black-and-white, so it's all down to personal preference. Both sides have expressed their preference. Neither will likely agree. I just think that if swearing and going (gasp) off-topic in off-topic is against the rules, well, check out channel chat. Check out the rest of the forums. I feel that our rowdiness is usually provoked, and once again, it's been provoked and then pointed to as the reason for the lockdown. It just feels like an excuse to get rid of an unwanted section of the community; an excuse that relies on ignoring every other failing of the community to point to us as the straw men that do all the bad things. 

Yeah, fair enough. Thing is, the rules aren't black-and-white, so it's all down to personal preference. Both sides have expressed their preference. Neither will likely agree. I just think that if swearing and going (gasp) off-topic in off-topic is against the rules, well, check out channel chat. Check out the rest of the forums. I feel that our rowdiness is usually provoked, and once again, it's been provoked and then pointed to as the reason for the lockdown. It just feels like an excuse to get rid of an unwanted section of the community; an excuse that relies on ignoring every other failing of the community to point to us as the straw men that do all the bad things. 

True. Check the round table and suggestion box. PoAu has pretty much become the thread of calling people noobs and idiots, meanwhile the suggestion box has become the place of sarcastic smartass comments that say that something won't happen. OT had people insulting others, but that's just basing off the 10 or 20% that insults were made and taken seriously. Most of the time, we make jokes about something and not someone. (except JB, but we have reason.) In all honesty, we just want off-topic back. It's not like the players thought it was bad so why'd you remove it? You guys taught us that you shouldn't do something if you don't want to. It's kind of like that, we didn't want OT removed but you still removed it. If we decided it was bad and at least 60% of us agreed, then sure, remove it.

Also, we're only human right? You guys haven't always done the right thing and neither have we. In my opinion, a lot of the staff hate is only coming from OT being removed, so please consider my points and please bring back OT.

[spoiler]

#lifecounter

#bringbackOT

#Images/video thread[/spoiler]

Daft was doing pretty good on moderating the Off-Topic section, he simply asked for another mod to be assigned to the section to assist him which staff failed to provide. If you're planning to bring the section back, have atleast 2 moderators assigned to the section so the staff member assigned to the section won't feel overwhelmed and ends up quiting because he had no assistance what so ever. Also, why does sections such as "Competition Alley" have three staff members assigned and only one for Off-Topic? I find that absolutely ridiculous, "Competition Alley" doesn't really need that much staff members moderating the section. Please explain the logic here, thank you.

Also, why does sections such as "Competition Alley" have three staff members assigned and only one for Off-Topic? I find that absolutely ridiculous, "Competition Alley" doesn't really need that much staff members moderating the section. Please explain the logic here, thank you.

Tier council leaders

Tier council leaders

That doesn't mean they can't be assigned to other sections of the forum, being a tier council leader and a moderator are two different jobs. Since not much moderating is needed in the competition alley, it wouldn't hurt to assign the Off-Topic section to other moderators of this forum that really don't do much moderating in their own sections. (Unless these moderators refuse to moderate the off-topic section which I don't blame them for)

Edit: What I'm trying to say is, have atleast 2 staff members assigned to the Off-Topic section, it's just too much shit posting for one moderator to deal with. Edited by Hassan

Edit: What I'm trying to say is, have atleast 2 staff members assigned to the Off-Topic section, it's just too much shit posting for one moderator to deal with.

Will not solve the issue. If it has not been made painfully obvious throughout this thread certain people dislike the community which I and many others dwell in.

So you all can post snide comments, and I can't? mhmm... I see how it is. Literally post 1 snide comment and it's wrong. o7

edit:

I mean, like seriously, all I was doing was commenting on how you guys may think it's right to fuck around with each other on the off topic forum. But to an onlooker they might be offended/horrified/disgusted, wherein lies the problem. You guys are so concerned about yourselves and don't give a shit about other people, whereas the mods are concerned with everyone.

I read through my posts, and I don't think I was being unreasonable/idiotic at all. Your responding posts sure made me out to be though.

Please take a step back and realize you're making vast assumptions about a group of people. Do you really think that it's okay to do that and decide the entire group of OT regulars "don't give a shit about others". Your posts in this thread have become extremely unproductive (see the one where you have recapped events) and you're making yourself look poor. I apologize if myself and other OT regulars have offended you to the point of you losing your composure but it's a good time to take a real breather.

On topic:

It is difficult to ask for a rule change when there is not a rule dealing with this sort of stuff. There is not a description of acceptable post quality and what that entails. Yes, we aren't allowed to harass but we haven't been doing that to one another. Jokes among friends just don't break that rule - as has been stated before. Being told we simply make the community look bad is a bit subjective. Imo people raging about how shit the staff are/game is in GD makes the community look bad, as well as the arguments that recently occurred in Events Suggestions and Feedback. I don't think these people need to be punished or have their medium taken away though. Their entitled to their opinions. I truly believe this is the case of a few mods being specifically turned off by OT posters and having a very personal dislike for OT.

Yes, we can be self-centered. I must assume, though, that instead of being offended, horrified or disgusted by words like "shit" and "top kek," most people tend not to care. I'd say the only truly horrifying thing in OT is Heimann's taste in music.

As for the snark... yeah, I tend to dish it out more than I can take it. Sorry.

Here I am, back after 144 hours. Can I just say how ridiculous it is that OT still isn't back up and running again? Since when, when you are innovating a section it means it has to be closed for (probably) longer than a week? But, there it was. Finally, a chance for staff members to step up and work together with their forum community. A chance to make things better. A chance to work together, to communicate. Did staff members try to use this chance? Not really. Have we OT'ers tried to take this chance, partially yes. But, understandably there are a few out there that begin name calling and producing non-productive posts.

'S-see guys! OT'ers are nothing but cancer to the community!'

Most of the OT'ers here get that we aren't saints. Yes, we did do a few things wrong. But none of those things ever warranted the closure of OT. Nevertheless, we could've done things better. But, on the flip side staff also could've done things better. I've seen OT'ers acknowledge some mistakes we made, do we see this from the staff side though? Hell no. All we are seeing here is DarkShade trying to bring up some moot points and desperately picking off posts that shed bad light on OT while not addressing the intelligent solution-seeking posts made here, namely by members like: Misfire, OS, Emlee, Gilgamesh, King etc.

Here it was the chance to communicate with some of your forum members. Yet, you blew it out of the window for now. Honestly, I was kind of excited when I saw these two threads pop up. I thought that maybe we could really see staff working together with forum members. I'm not saying that this still can't happen, but it's so dumb so frustrating that you guys in stead of communicating decently with us pick on small points and barely tell us what you want to do. This doesn't just reflect to OT'ers, this whole situation isn't even about OT anymore. It's about the forums, the moderation, the attitude of staff towards their members. It's about top to bottom and bottom to top communication. Where the latter happens and the former... barely does. This isn't just now, it has always been a major concern.

You want us to act on the forums like we would act publicly? Is that a joke? We aren't on the internet so that we can fall in the social norm again. We aren't on the internet because we want more social control. We aren't on the internet to act like the people we aren't. FUCK, we are on the internet because this is the place where we can be who we want to be! If you are a forum moderator, and you do not understand this basic concept of social science then you should resign now, or at least broaden your 2milimieter horizon. 

OT has been unfairly moderated for far too long. The amount of flaming that goes on in the Round Table and the thread Value Discussion is far, far more 'concerning' than what goes on and off in OT. Do you know the whole why we are in this situation right now? I will refer to my second paragraph. It's really apparent from this thread that some moderators really have a dislike and a negative bias towards OT. Now, I'm not gonna' call any names here, but DarkShade, that is fucked up man. To see this amount of bias from some moderators is unacceptable. Un-acc-epptable. UNACCEPTABLE. Again, I'll point back to RT and Value Discussion, or even Suggestion Box with the recent developments.

And that, my friends, is our problem. OT is far too heavily moderated and judged. Daft was doing a really good job, really. I just have this feeling that he was pushed in the moderation team to act differently though. I don't know, maybe he implied it himself somewhere. Like TeamSpeak. When a person has to change his personality to fit in the moderation team, you know something is fucked up. This is also the root of why moderators lose a lot of friends when they get their 'title'. This didn't start out of nowhere, there were simply cases where moderators became totally different in their interaction with players and it's the root of dislike towards staff.

See, I'm going 'Off Topic' again. Basically, chill the fuck down. OT is the least of your problems and it is the section you pay most attention to. When friends call each other 'shit' or 'a fgt' it's not a fucking attack.

'B-but when new players come into OT and see words like 'you shitty poo' and 'King' they get the wrong impression of this game!'

I'm fucking sorry, but since when in ANY forum is Off Topic a representation of the forum community? More importantly, since when ever is any OT forum a representation of the playerbase (note players that play the game). They fucking aren't, they never will be and they shouldn't be treated like they are. Even if you do treat them like they should represent the community of the forums or of the game then it makes absolutely no sense. I repeat no sense. That the other sections are ten times less moderated than OT is. Round Table and General Discussion are the pinnacle of representation of the forum community. In no other section there is as much name calling, as much 'lewd' comments and as much snide/sassy sarcasm as in these sections.

That was the main point. The second argument against that pathetic excuse is that this is how communities work. This is how friend groups work. OT is a tight knit community of regular posters. Since when, when you are new and you walk in to a group of friends are you going to feel like you fit in from the beginning? Never, no amount of rules and 'nazinism' is going to change that. Unless, you want to ban us all (seems like your best option just saying).

So what do we need? We need to fucking stop judging each other that's what. OT stop judging staff members, staff members stop judging OT. Stop pointing fingers at us and try to force your beliefs on us. Stop trying to think you are never wrong, because that is an attitude that has been going on for way too long. We need milder moderation, OR if you are going to keep going like you were than this should apply to every forum. I repeat this whole situation isn't even about OT anymore, it's the fucking disgusting attitude some staff members have towards the whole community. How the whole forum is handled. Set your priorities straight.

Give us a moderator that knows us. Noad is a GM that has so much connection with the actual playerbase, this is why she is a perfect mod for Comp Alley and Round Table. We haven't had this kind of moderator in OT, and it's the kind of moderator OT needs. OT isn't going to grow if you keep angering us with twisted rules and unequal treatment. OT isn't going to attract people when it's dead and where friends can't make a rude joke. It's going to grow by making it look alive, and what makes something look more alive than laughs and shitposts?

Nothing.

Daft was doing pretty good on moderating the Off-Topic section, he simply asked for another mod to be assigned to the section to assist him which staff failed to provide. If you're planning to bring the section back, have atleast 2 moderators assigned to the section so the staff member assigned to the section won't feel overwhelmed and ends up quiting because he had no assistance what so ever. Also, why does sections such as "Competition Alley" have three staff members assigned and only one for Off-Topic? I find that absolutely ridiculous, "Competition Alley" doesn't really need that much staff members moderating the section. Please explain the logic here, thank you.

Competition Alley is run by the tier council leaders and you would be incorrect to assume that it does not take a lot of moderation. 

Competition Alley is run by the tier council leaders and you would be incorrect to assume that it does not take a lot of moderation.

Not as much as off-topic, but we still have 3 moderators assigned to the section where off topic only had one moderator. Edited by Hassan

Not as much as off-topic, but we still have 3 moderators assigned to the section where off topic only had one moderator.

Off Topic does not need as much moderation as Competition Alley, but hey what would I know. ;) Also how does it make sense for a Pokemon Community to have more moderation taking place in it's Off Topic section rather than it's Competitive section?

Eh might as well say something about Off Topic while I am here. \o/ In my opinion I do not feel that Off Topic needs more that one moderator (I think that past and present mods of this forum will see where I am coming from here). The saying "Too many cooks spoil the broth" comes into play here, if you have 2 or 3 dedicated mods in the section then there is a chance that the section will become over-moderated. This is fine for sections like Comp Alley or Trade Corner that do need regular and stricter standards of moderation, but not good for more casual sections like RT and OT. 

Do I think there needs to be some changes? Yeah, sure - you guys should lay off with the OT Rules V.3 threads and stuff like this (pinched it from the RT, sorry):

bvP0roY.png

And we should not intervene unless there is the need to and allow for a more RTesque moderation (which for the record I don't feel is wrong but everyone here seems to be using RT as an example of "shit post" central :( ). 

Off Topic does not need as much moderation as Competition Alley, but hey what would I know. ;) Also how does it make sense for a Pokemon Community to have more moderation taking place in it's Off Topic section rather than it's Competitive section?

Eh might as well say something about Off Topic while I am here. \o/ In my opinion I do not feel that Off Topic needs more that one moderator (I think that past and present mods of this forum will see where I am coming from here). The saying "Too many cooks spoil the broth" comes into play here, if you have 2 or 3 dedicated mods in the section then there is a chance that the section will become over-moderated. This is fine for sections like Comp Alley or Trade Corner that do need regular and stricter standards of moderation, but not good for more casual sections like RT and OT. 

Do I think there needs to be some changes? Yeah, sure - you guys should lay off with the OT Rules V.3 threads and stuff like this (pinched it from the RT, sorry):

bvP0roY.png

And we should not intervene unless there is the need to and allow for a more RTesque moderation (which for the record I don't feel is wrong but everyone here seems to be using RT as an example of "shit post" central :( ). 

Lmao "Ban Orangeslash 1.0" I'm so done rn

Since I don't wanna be "off topic" I guess I'll just say that you're right about the moderator thing. 1 mod is fine, but that reference is weird. How about "Too many cooks have too many goddamn different flavours so the food will be weird."

Why the fuck is it a competition to see which section needs more moderation ? That is not the point of this thread. OT had two mods before, it worked well, why not try it again so that things are easier on whomever is taking it on ? Simple as that.

So now the past mods don't all agree with you. Daft wanted some help and I can see why. Elkaroo and Cipher loved modding the section together because they could bounce ideas and choices off one another. It is seriously no HARM DONE to have two mods. Please get off your "b-but my section is harder" high horse. I apologize for being blunt but sheesh.

Edited by Emlee

If we received the same moderation that RT does, OT would still be here. I know you do your job Noad, but based on what Darkshade refers to when he defines shitposting.. it meets most of RT posts.

1: The failure to make a constructive post.
2: The inability to add useful information to a forum .
3: Worthless overly offensive generally racists posts written in a manner which aggravates others.

Also, I really hope you are not trying to use the OT 3.0 events of more than a year ago as a case against us. Since that day we have done nothing even remotely that bad to disrupt the forums. This only started because Daft locked a thread on a bad call instead of working with the OP & the community got upset.

Why the fuck is it a competition to see which section needs more moderation ? That is not the point of this thread. OT had two mods before, it worked well, why not try it again so that things are easier on whomever is taking it on ? Simple as that.

So now the past mods don't all agree with you. Daft wanted some help and I can see why. Elkaroo and Cipher loved modding the section together because they could bounce ideas and choices off one another. It is seriously no HARM DONE to have two mods. Please get off your "b-but my section is harder" high horse. I apologize for being blunt but sheesh.

I was just saying that it doesn't make sense for Off Topic to receive the amount of moderation that Comp Alley and other sections receive, which is also what seemingly the off topic posters don't want to happen either. 

I was just saying that it doesn't make sense for Off Topic to receive the amount of moderation that Comp Alley and other sections receive, which is also what seemingly the off topic posters don't want to happen either.

You stated "Off topic" is fine with only one moderator, if that's true why did Daft request multiple times for staff to assign someone to help him in the section? Edited by Hassan