Off Topic Suggestion Thread

Serious time #3: Why we're mad.

You may have noticed the vitriol in some of these posts. Seems like them there OT'ers don't like their forum being closed up. Why all the fuss, though? After all, it's just an internet forum; don't these people have anything else to do but whine and post dank memes?

Sure we do. I tentatively assume even the biggest NEETs among us have at least one friend, even if that friend is a pillow that we dry hump while crying about Witcher 3's downgraded graphics. We have hobbies, work, school, or virtual breasts to occupy our time. Thing is, this is the only place we really get to bullshit with each other. We might add each other on Skype, or Steam, or stalk each other at 3 am, but Off-topic is still our main meeting place. We live in different countries; different time zones. Off-topic is like the coffee shop in Friends, where we can all get together and fuck around--time delay be damned. We like it here. It has history. Granted, most of that history is stupid shit, but that's the way we like it. If a dude in a suit that looked like Drew Carey's evil twin came into your favorite local meeting place and put up a sign saying "no fun or gtfo," would you like that very much? If he came back and said he was gonna build a squeaky-clean, par-for-the-course Starbucks there, would you be very happy? It's a bit sentimental, but Off-topic is our coffee shop; our tucked-away bar. If it were something like the trade forum, we wouldn't give one-tenth as much of a fuck. But as much as you own Off-topic, it's our place. It's where we go for a bit of low-stress, medium-effort banter. It's something quite nice.

So every time someone sticks their finger in the figurative pie, we get a little mad. A little sassy. When someone takes that pie and puts it in a safety deposit box for seemingly no reason, we get a little more mad. We want to keep having a good time in this coffee shop, bar, pie, or whatever the fuck metaphor I'm trying to use. This is where we talk to our dumb internet friends. Dumb internet friends are important, sometimes.

this is a really great post

I didn't want to comment mainly because I never post in Off Topic ever (or anywhere else hardly for that matter) but this issue is a huge pet peeve of mine. I'm pretty much afraid to post anything AT ALL ANYWHERE on this forum for fear it'll be deleted, or cause the thread will get locked, or I'll want to go back to it and say something but it's already been locked- so what's the point? and I hardly say outrageous things or try to provoke people :/

I made a thread months ago and it was nice and funny, people were commenting- next day I thought of something I wanted to say in the thread but it had been locked. I asked a mod about it...it had been locked for literally no other reason than "it had been up for about a day." because there was a chance that someone might say something offensive or a fight would start, they said (paraphrased). I don't know. every comment in the thread was perfectly civil. that was asinine to me and I haven't bothered making a thread since.

way too much locking and deleting going on everywhere if you ask me but in an off topic section? that's just ridiculous.

I was a moderator on a forum for a few years, at some point they made a new section called "Senseless Banter" and as long as what you posted wasn't complete gibberish, as long as the post had some substance, mods pretty much left it alone. why not so something like that? or why not just moderate Off Topic like that? let people chat freely. LEAVE IT ALONE. basically for the reason Misfire33 explained...people should be able to have a place to chat freely without worrying about everything getting deleted constantly :/

I'm sorry they ruined your section guys, I never go there but I feel your pain and I hope they listen and lighten the fuck up.

Been thinking about it and I don't even know what they could alter about the off topic rules to 'make it better' ? The rules are pretty...standard.

Like a lot of people said, I feel like moderation needs to ease up. So this is pretty much my suggestion for the future off topic moderator:

Don't lock threads for the reason "things might go south," but focus on subverting it from going south. Hide the worst posts. Not every post that's hidden deserves to be hidden - just because a poster's opinion is invalid in your eyes, it shouldn't necessarily be hidden. if you think they're looking stupid, let them look stupid. maybe that's harsh but lMFAO they're posting for the public to see, so obvs they're ok with the consequences that people might think they're fucking stupid or an asshole.

If you feel a thread's topic is breaking a rule, work with the OP so that it is appropriate. Back when Volpi made the "Noobs say the darnest things" thread, I moderated the section he posted it in, and OK'd it as long as screenshots blurred usernames. In Trade Corner, when I closed people's threads because they had more than 1 or whatever reason, I PM'd them to let them know why and if they needed me to unlock it, I would. Try to find a solution that will keep the thread open rather than locking it because that's the easy way out!

Don't try to scrutinize something to decide if it's shitposting/deserves being hidden - that's a horrible mindset to have as a moderator. Focus more on allowing users to moderate themselves. Keep an open door (er, PM box?) and make sure to reply to PMs or questions. If you get criticized, don't respond like you're being attacked, instead say "ok" and take it in consideration

And probably the best suggestion - try to be part of the OT community. You'll be more accepted if you join in the posters' jokes. :^)

i prob had more to say but i wanna cuddle iwth plizard bye nerds :^)

From what I understand, Pokemmo's playerbase was largely based of people from 4chan in the beginning. I think the issue is staff now wants to move on from that type of playerbase and become more profeshunal and family friendly with ridiculous word censors and stricter rules. Off-topic is basically mini-4chan since thats where all of the older playerbase went and they probably won't ease up until it's more "presentable" and friendly towards new users. When it comes down to it, it's all about the money, and I don't think any of our suggestions are actually going to be taken into consideration.

Time for a little obnoxious post

To The Amazing Pokemmo Staff Team
26-06-15

Typical pokemmo staff team
Just like an attention seeking teen
Locking a forum, they don't find keen
So that their power(importance) can be seen.

It's pathetic that you're taking so long
I'm seeing even corpses break into song
Offtopic is not where your e-penis belong
Respect surely has been long gone.

Thoughts and ideas can't be contained
Even if you feel the need to pretend
Our words and ideals will never bend
Will this shitfest ever end?

Please stop this madnesss today
It is now becoming excessively gay
Give OT back, is the only thing I pray
So that we can find a voice in us to say
That tomorrow will be a better day.

I was a moderator on a forum for a few years, at some point they made a new section called "Senseless Banter" and as long as what you posted wasn't complete gibberish, as long as the post had some substance, mods pretty much left it alone. why not so something like that? or why not just moderate Off Topic like that? let people chat freely.

Thanks, bruh. Hopefully they're reading this and actually taking it in, but I'm skeptical. Perhaps we have rustled too many jimmies.

From what I understand, Pokemmo's playerbase was largely based of people from 4chan in the beginning. I think the issue is staff now wants to move on from that type of playerbase and become more profeshunal and family friendly with ridiculous word censors and stricter rules. Off-topic is basically mini-4chan since thats where all of the older playerbase went and they probably won't ease up until it's more "presentable" and friendly towards new users. When it comes down to it, it's all about the money, and I don't think any of our suggestions are actually going to be taken into consideration.

I dunno about mini-4chan, man. We're a lot less aggressive and hive-mindey and have a much lower tendency to be spontaneously racist. Comparing us to 4chan is like comparing a mosquito bite to the black plague, if the black plague was millions of impotent nerds waving their H4X0R e-peens around and calling each other f@gs. Sure, it can be fun sometimes, but I'd rather not draw parallels between a notorious hive of rowdy shitweasels and Off-topic while we're trying to convince mods to live and let post.

I have a sneaking suspicion you're right about the suggestions, though. Most of them have been, quite rightly in my opinion, to just ease up a bit. Since that sort of suggestion requires actual case-by-case discretion and thought, the likelihood of implementation sits slightly between legendaries and unbiased shiny encounter algorithms.

[spoiler]Please prove me wrong. :([/spoiler]

that's a fire mixtape, fam

u shud think about submiting it to a record labil, im sure youd be famous rite quik

~~~ yo boi Lowercase M

Edited by Misfire33

I'm happy to see legitimate suggestions here (obvi) but can everyone just stick to the SB rules and only post suggestion related content and not comics/videos/low content posts. You want them to take us seriously and they won't do that if you continue to prove to them we are the idiots they think we are. Jokes are fine (imo) in off topic but this is SB. Get yourself together, children.

I'm happy to see legitimate suggestions here (obvi) but can everyone just stick to the SB rules and only post suggestion related content and not comics/videos/low content posts. You want them to take us seriously and they won't do that if you continue to prove to them we are the idiots they think we are. Jokes are fine (imo) in off topic but this is SB. Get yourself together, children.

I have a suggestion!

How about a sub-forum in which we can make jokes?

I have a suggestion!

How about a sub-forum in which we can make jokes?

The description would be "King" because you're just one big joke.

[spoiler] Great. Now I am just contributing to the nonsense in here ;____; [/spoiler]

Looking for loving and concerned mods to respond.