[Denied]Speed up animations and/or text

I would suggest speeding up battle animations to something close to what Showdown has.

The animations aren't that spectacular (understandably so, considering what you have to work with), and I actually think speeding them up would make it look more fluid. But that is not why I'm suggesting this.

Currently, in a battle, you select the attack (which can be done fast, the menu is pretty much instant)

then it takes a sec, then the text pops up to tell you who's attacking using what,

then it takes a sec, then the animation happens,

then it takes a sec, then maybe some text shows up (saying if it's super effective / crit),

then it takes a sec, then the health starts going down,

then the same happens for with the opposite pokemon on the field, then repeat.

When you start to notice all the dead time in a battle, it starts to get annoying. :P

It seems the server-side logistics of a battle is much faster than the actual battle. Seeing as sometimes you see the health go down in the party before the opponent has even called an attack, and items stolen shows up before the animation for Thief is done. So the client could probably also work faster than it currently does.

If you're not familiar with Showdown, I urge you to check it out. Battles feel a lot more fluid there, even if they are just working with sprites.

http://play.pokemonshowdown.com/<- just take a random battle and see

In a time where it's all about grinding, I think it wouldn't hurt to make the meat of it a bit faster ^^

EDIT:

I think drawing the animations at the same time as the text would go a long way

Edited by Stabington

The "dead space" you notice in the battle is the time it takes for your client to send the information to the server and get the response. Speeding up animations will not fix this.

If that is the case, the net code could be optimized to send those packets while the animations are playing.

My point being, things that are slow can by fixed fairly easily :P

• 3 weeks later...

I was about to suggest this too. I cant be the only one who gets a lot of lag, and all these animations and text really increase the time it takes to complete a task. I especially find the trainer vs trainer animation at the start of every battle annoying; sometimes my opponent will comment on my lead before the animation is even done for me. And the text speed could be made faster too, even at 4 it doesnt cut it.