Competitive Assistance Quick-fire Questions.

35 minutes ago, HowLXG said:

I was having more trouble against the agility set, but thank you (and Luis) for all the tips, really appreciate it (:

Bold ludicolo walls it pretty hard, however venusaur and tentacruel are so common now its not really worth using imo. Forretress and skarm (eq or counter to hit back) also take hits fairly well

1 hour ago, HowLXG said:

I was having more trouble against the agility set, but thank you (and Luis) for all the tips, really appreciate it (:

Ahhh well that needs a turn to setup so it gets checked fairly easier than other sets imo. Agiligross can be real scary if the user plays it right tho (like eliminating a certain threat early-game or weakening a certain wall with another hard hitter to prepare the Meta clean).

15 minutes ago, LifeStyle said:

Ahhh well that needs a turn to setup so it gets checked fairly easier than other sets imo. Agiligross can be real scary if the user plays it right tho (like eliminating a certain threat early-game or weakening a certain wall with another hard hitter to prepare the Meta clean).

Yeah, I've recently tried using one as a late gamer sweeper and it has been working pretty well. Absolutely devastating when it's counters are down, imo.

I need to figure out more answers to bold hp ele Milotic though.

Edited by HowLXG

I want to try a Special Absol :o

I will run him with Calm Mind and Life Ball so, if I can set up should be doing a good damage in UU..

Moves will be Flamethrower, Thunderbolt and Shadow Ball or I could try Hidden Power Physic, what you think?

And about the nature, should I go Modest or Timid? Why?

9 minutes ago, Tatozito said:

I will run him with Calm Mind and Life Ball so, if I can set up should be doing a good damage in UU..

Moves will be Flamethrower, Thunderbolt and Shadow Ball or I could try Hidden Power Physic, what you think?

Full special Absol isn't that great, it has poor bulk for setting up and can be revenge killed by faster physical threats, plus a lack of STAB. Still, if you want to try it, a Modest LO set might be decent. Calm Mind/Flamethrower/Ice Beam/Hidden Power Grass would cover a good amount of the meta. Beating Kangaskhan/Miltank/Clefable is unlikely unless they have been weakened, you might want spikes to help out with that.

58 minutes ago, Tatozito said:

dont run calm mind imo, mixed with superpower is much better to eliminate most special walls

megahorn, superpower, flame, ice beam is pretty baller

6 minutes ago, notmudkip0 said:

Full special Absol isn't that great, it has poor bulk for setting up and can be revenge killed by faster physical threats, plus a lack of STAB. Still, if you want to try it, a Modest LO set might be decent. Calm Mind/Flamethrower/Ice Beam/Hidden Power Grass would cover a good amount of the meta. Beating Kangaskhan/Miltank/Clefable is unlikely unless they have been weakened, you might want spikes to help out with that.

A 252 SpAttk Absol reaches 139 SpAttk, with Calm Mind that reaches up to 209. His SpDef would be 120 with CM. I'm new to UU but those stats seem good. 

My strategy would be to enter the battle against someone who is afraid of Absol and when it switches do a CM. Then see what I get..

I know it lacks STAB but I think it could surprise some

Just now, LifeStyle said:

dont run calm mind imo, mixed with superpower is much better to eliminate most special walls

So mixed absol?

1 minute ago, Tatozito said:

A 252 SpAttk Absol reaches 139 SpAttk, with Calm Mind that reaches up to 209. His SpDef would be 120 with CM. I'm new to UU but those stats seem good. 

My strategy would be to enter the battle against someone who is afraid of Absol and when it switches do a CM. Then see what I get..

I know it lacks STAB but I think it could surprise some

It's simply too weak imo, Clefable gets just as good of a movepool, higher spatk, better bulk, and even recovery if needed. Absol falls flat and would be better off making use of his amazing attack stat.

5 minutes ago, LifeStyle said:

This set would be much better since you still pressure psychics and can take out scizor, altaria, etc.

2 minutes ago, notmudkip0 said:

It's simply too weak imo, Clefable gets just as good of a movepool, higher spatk, better bulk, and even recovery if needed. Absol falls flat and would be better off making use of his amazing attack stat.

This set would be much better since you still pressure psychics and can take out scizor, altaria, etc.

You reckon that would be the best UU Absol? I'm stilla bit lost on UU and NU but want to climb up on those tiers..

I want to make an absol to see if I can hold him well in battle

What nature would he be better with this moveset? 

Just now, Tatozito said:

You reckon that would be the best UU Absol? I'm stilla bit lost on UU and NU but want to climb up on those tiers..

I want to make an absol to see if I can hold him well in battle

What nature would he be better with this moveset? 

naive/hasty for extra speed or lonely/naughty for power. I personally use naive.

Just now, notmudkip0 said:

naive/hasty for extra speed or lonely/naughty for power. I personally use naive.

Well I have a 4x31 Absol just sitting there like [25+/25+/31/31/31/31] I'm gonna risk it and make a mixed one... 
Any hidden power he would benifit or that set is close to his best?

Just now, Tatozito said:

Well I have a 4x31 Absol just sitting there like [25+/25+/31/31/31/31] I'm gonna risk it and make a mixed one... 
Any hidden power he would benifit or that set is close to his best?

That set is probably the best you'll get from mixed

18 minutes ago, Maelstrom said:

I know it is a noob question, but I still don't get it. Why is Venusaur so popular? I see nothing special about it.

Venusaur is an above average wallbreaker in OU, as it is immune to toxic and has the bulk to beat most walls 1v1. Standard special walls outside of gardevoir will typically lose to venusaur, such as umbreon/porygon. Tentacruel and crobat are the most common answers to venusaur, but neither of them are entirely fool proof answers to venusaur either. Venusaur also plays somewhat of a defensive role, as it can check threats like swampert/breloom/kingdra/magneton/jolteon. 

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Maelstrom said:

What do you guys use against. DD Kingdra? I mean, I can take it down most times, but it's always so dangerous and I have no specific answer for it.

On 8/10/2017 at 0:43 PM, BurntZebra said:

Venusaur is an above average wallbreaker in OU, as it is immune to toxic and has the bulk to beat most walls 1v1. Standard special walls outside of gardevoir will typically lose to venusaur, such as umbreon/porygon. Tentacruel and crobat are the most common answers to venusaur, but neither of them are entirely fool proof answers to venusaur either. Venusaur also plays somewhat of a defensive role, as it can check threats like swampert/breloom/kingdra/magneton/jolteon. 

11 minutes ago, Maelstrom said:

What do you guys use against. DD Kingdra? I mean, I can take it down most times, but it's always so dangerous and I have no specific answer for it.

Haze milotic

E: Skarmory can also tank a waterfall and whirlwind, granted it can flinch and isn't a solid counter but it definitely checks it

Edited by Zymogen
47 minutes ago, Maelstrom said:

maybe haze milotic is the only true counter, but there are many checks and you can use against dd kingdra, specially since it needs +2 or +3 to actually kill something... venu, slowbro, gyarados, ludi and meta (wich totally tank and outraged kingdra)... 

sometimes, if its full hp kingdra, you can bring a jolly flygon against it, it still outspeed an adamant 252hp/252atk +1 speed kingdra.... and even if he outspeed you, it wont kill you at +1 unless it has outrage

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Maelstrom said:

Do I really need to run Venusaur just to stop Breloom? It does not seems healthy for me.

Not really, but Venusaur is one of the better hard counters.

The most troublesome set is the sub spore set, you can usually predict the spore and let it sleep a Pokemon that isn't too important(sleep clause means it can't sleep anymore mons), this opens up many more walls/offensive mons which can now beat Breloom easier such as Weezing, Arcanine, Skarmory among many others.

Crobat is another hard counter to the common bullet seed + fpunch set as it resists those x4 so it doesn't really matter how long it sleeps for.

On 03/09/2017 at 7:47 PM, Maelstrom said:

If it were only for Breloom, I would run an defensive Ariados (kek), but well...

What else Crobat can counter/check and what set for it?

It's also a good switch to Venusaur and isn't too bad of a switch for Heracross.

Usually people use Sbomb, Heat wave, Taunt, Super Fang

Edited by KaynineXL