Competitive Assistance Quick-fire Questions.

Hey, I found a neat HP Grass horsea in my box. No dragon moves.

I figure surf/icebeam/HP/signal beam is the set for it. It's modest.

How would I go about EV'ing it? It has max spatk already.

Just enough speed to outspeed what it needs to, and the rest in hp?

What does kingdra need to be outspeeding, in and out of rain?

And should I slap a raindance on the set and sack some coverage or rely on support to setup?

Hey, I found a neat HP Grass horsea in my box. No dragon moves.

I figure surf/icebeam/HP/signal beam is the set for it. It's modest.

How would I go about EV'ing it? It has max spatk already.

Just enough speed to outspeed what it needs to, and the rest in hp?

What does kingdra need to be outspeeding, in and out of rain?

And should I slap a raindance on the set and sack some coverage or rely on support to setup?

The usual speed creep for kingdra was jolly marowak, but since marowak isn't really used much now, maybe invest for max speed adamant swampert (hits like 112 speed or something). You kind of need rain dance, since setting up rain with another pokemon and switching to kingdra just does not work at all in gen 3, without damp rock or drizzle. Signal beam doesn't really hit much, since you have hidden power grass to hit starmie/slowbro, and surf hits psychics harder than signal beam in rain. 

The usual speed creep for kingdra was jolly marowak, but since marowak isn't really used much now, maybe invest for max speed adamant swampert (hits like 112 speed or something). You kind of need rain dance, since setting up rain with another pokemon and switching to kingdra just does not work at all in gen 3, without damp rock or drizzle. Signal beam doesn't really hit much, since you have hidden power grass to hit starmie/slowbro, and surf hits psychics harder than signal beam in rain. 

I'm thinking signal beam mostly for Ludicolo. So I can force it out / kill it and abuse its rain. It's a terrible pokemon to have to deal with anyways. Or will synth and leech outstall me?

Also, I'm contemplating rebreeding this to HP elec, found a nice pair and I estimate 80% chance of success. Would HP elec help me more?

I'm also a fan of doubles so I like having gyara counters.

I'm thinking signal beam mostly for Ludicolo. So I can force it out / kill it and abuse its rain. It's a terrible pokemon to have to deal with anyways. Or will synth and leech outstall me?

Also, I'm contemplating rebreeding this to HP elec, found a nice pair and I estimate 80% chance of success. Would HP elec help me more?

I'm also a fan of doubles so I like having gyara counters.

HP elec is better, especially for Gyarados. Hp grass is helping with swamp but surf gonna wreck it anyway. Depending on the build of the Ludi, you'd still lose to Ludi, even with signal.

Another thing to consider is running surf and hydro pump, surf is more for late game clean ups and hydro pump can be to wallbreak early-mid game. Nothing likes taking stab hydro pumps, especially if you run a water boosting item over lum or leftovers. And it can also secure some more KO's that surf misses out on

• 2 weeks later...

EVs for an Impish Gligar (Also can't think if i want to run support or SD, need halp >.>)?

Support > SD if impish. 252HP/252Def EVs.

If I use a move like "Super Power" or "Overheat" will the negative effects of that move (decreased attack/sp attack) be negated upon switching out?

Yes

I'm thinking of breeding for a ludicolo. Is an offensive or defensive one better? And what would be a good moveset/IV etc.

^Breed for overall good iv's and be flexable is what I would say.  See what natures you get by chance, and if you get a good defensive one, roll with it, same with offensive.  Your better off having 3x decent comps then 1 really good one, your going to need to keep your opponents guessing.

^Breed for overall good iv's and be flexable is what I would say.  See what natures you get by chance, and if you get a good defensive one, roll with it, same with offensive.  Your better off having 3x decent comps then 1 really good one, your going to need to keep your opponents guessing.

So just try to get 25+ in everything or just as high as possible? but is there anything that should be 31??

So just try to get 25+ in everything or just as high as possible? but is there anything that should be 31??

Use this to calculate different stats at level 50 with different IV and EV - http://www.psypokes.com/dex/stats.php

The IV that can make the biggest difference is speed: which will determine who strikes first... once again for some pokemon this is more important than others.  You can check out the speed tier here for info: https://forums.pokemmo.eu/index.php?/topic/50541-pokemmo-speed-tiers-lv-50/

You will notice that the difference between a 20 IV and a 31 IV of HP at level 50 is only 5 more max hp for the perfect one (this is for ludicolo)... this translates to around 2% more HP... not nearly as big of a difference as many would have you think... sometimes even a 29 IV is the same as 31... it really depends on the pokemon.

So really I would try to use only a few braces if possible to make pokes... get all the relevant IV above 20 with the most important ones in the upper 20's (29+) and make sure your speed is good enough for what you want to do.  This will allow you to fill ur box with comps and then as you duel and develope as a player you can figure out which pokemon you need to rebreed and make better and which ones are fine with these "inferior" stats.

I hope this makes sense.

Worst advice ever.

I will help you out with the ludi later im too lazy now.

Edited by Quint

EV Spread for dd Whis?
Max Atk max speed ?
Or bulkier set with rest chesto?

Wfall, eq, spark, dd whis. Jolly 252 speed to out speed crobat after 1 dd. 252 atk.

Use this to calculate different stats at level 50 with different IV and EV - http://www.psypokes.com/dex/stats.php

The IV that can make the biggest difference is speed: which will determine who strikes first... once again for some pokemon this is more important than others.  You can check out the speed tier here for info: https://forums.pokemmo.eu/index.php?/topic/50541-pokemmo-speed-tiers-lv-50/

You will notice that the difference between a 20 IV and a 31 IV of HP at level 50 is only 5 more max hp for the perfect one (this is for ludicolo)... this translates to around 2% more HP... not nearly as big of a difference as many would have you think... sometimes even a 29 IV is the same as 31... it really depends on the pokemon.

So really I would try to use only a few braces if possible to make pokes... get all the relevant IV above 20 with the most important ones in the upper 20's (29+) and make sure your speed is good enough for what you want to do.  This will allow you to fill ur box with comps and then as you duel and develope as a player you can figure out which pokemon you need to rebreed and make better and which ones are fine with these "inferior" stats.

I hope this makes sense.

I wouldn't listen to this. Try and make quality comps with 25+ because you will only make them once, you might as well make them good quality. When you survive with 1%, you can thank me.

If it was my Ludi I would like..

28+/X/25+/25+/28+/31 Calm - The most common one. Use it as a sp wall.

28+/X/28+/25+/25+/31 Bold - It's used, it's pretty great at coming in on Metagross which is fairly common.

25+/X/25+/28+/25+/31 Modest - It's good, I would use this in a rain team for sure.

depends on your team which one you want.

Edited by KaynineXL

How do ppl run magneton in OU? Pretty sure it needs hp fire/grass/ice but dunno what evs/moves to use

HP Fire is the most common I think, to trap forre. HP Grass for swamp. Don't think ice is that great.

The standard go 252 Sp Atk, hit around 108 speed. There are a lot of pokes around 100 speed. I think 108 beats venu, Arc, Ursa. Rest of the evs in HP.

Standard moveset is Tbolt, Hp, Sub, Metal sound.

Edited by KaynineXL

Why is Steelix underused? It has an amazing Defense stat so why do people not use it?

I can't speak for steelix in UU because I never play UU. However, I am a steelix user in OU and in OU it has weak attack and gets walled by so many things. It's defense is huge but it has type weaknesses that prevent it from being a wall. That's why people don't use it. The best way I have found to use it in OU is to max out its special D and HP and run careful nature, and I prefer [Iron Tail, Earthquake, Curse, Rest]. Steelix typing gives it great resistences for coming in on special attackers and then many of these special attackers have weaker defense so steelix doesn't have to have much attack power to beat them - that's a niche.

*Niche type 1 (using the special defense) examples:

Gardevoir - (can W-o-W or painsplit, but is usually not a threat to special D steelix with psychic and tbolt )

Jolteon - (have never seen an HP fire jolt. jolteon is usually a free switch in for steelix)

Magneton - (most magnetons run fire now, but if you get the switch in free, you can still take the HP fire hit for around 50% dmg and EQ back for 1HKO.

Espeon - (special defense steelix can take it out if espeon doesn't have a super effective hidden power)

Once the special D is maxed out and before you do any curses, you've got just an all around type pokemon. It doesn't excel at anything (except absorbing toxic), but it has many niches. Specifically, if something is giving you a ton of trouble, and you have preserved steelix to be near full health, you can usually depend on steelix to take one hit and then finish off whatever threat is giving you grief to preserve your other needed team members:

*Niche type 2 (taking the hit for the team when necessary) examples:

Aerodactyl - (iron tail is 1HKO)  252 Atk Aerodactyl Earthquake vs. +1 252 HP / 0 Def Steelix: 36-44 (19.7 - 24.1%)

Arcanine - (steelix can absorb 1 non invested flamethrower then EQ back, but make sure you are not intimidated)

0- SpA Arcanine Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Steelix: 92-110 (50.5 - 60.4%)

Metagross - (EQ is not stab coming from metagross, so steelix can take the hit and then EQ back if necessary)

Starmie - (yep, special D steelix can take a stab surf then hit with an EQ or crunch if it has to)

252 SpA Starmie Surf vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Steelix: 128-152 (70.3 - 83.5%)

Venusaur-  (once leech seed PP is gone steelix can curse up, rest to recover health, and then take out venusaur. even if steelix doesnt get this opportunity to curse up on venusaur, steelix is still useful for helping use all leech seed PP by switching in/out. As we know, once leech seed is gone, venusaur loses major bulk)

Alakazam - Some run HP fire, but steelix can survive 1 hit of HP fire if necessary then hit back. If not HP fire/ground/water, special defense steelix takes out alakazam for you all day.

Moving along, what you can do in battle with the EV spread depends on your moveset. You can use toxic to poison steelix counters. The only things to be ready for after that would be mostly weezing and skarmory. Or you can use 3 attacks - crunch/iron tail/EQ. I prefer the move set with curse I mentioned in the 1st paragraph:

*Niche 3 Curse up for godly bulk

Even after one curse, many threats become much less potent. If you make it to 2 or 3 curses you've usually got a steelix sweep going on as long as steelix doesnt get hit hard on the special side by water or fire. As I type this, someone is thinking "well I just send in my starmie". If you suspect the opponent is trying to get the jump on you as you curse up, just swing irons tails or EQ's for fun. 1 curse is often strong enough to OHKO weak sweepers for steelix.

+1 0 Atk Steelix Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Starmie: 84-100 (62.2 - 74%)

Most people would maybe tell you to try to max out the physical defense or make an attack investment, but it just isn't going to work very good in OU. Steelix just isn't good enough. Weaknesses to ground and fighting moves make steelix too weak on the physical side for it to be sent in battle and then immediately act as a wall and like I said it gets wall'd a lot when it attacks. However, like I said, curse + special defense makes steelix a different animal. Curse up 1 or 2 times and having the boosted attack + the boosted defense really helps steelix immensely, but you need the special defesne too because If you run no special defense steelix + curse in OU be prepard for magneton to get you right in the butt after u get one kill - that or other special attackers. Special D Steelix for the win in OU.

Obviously, no one poke is invinicble. Weezing will still troll you even after you curse and so will skarmory. Steelix 248 HP 248 special D is a niche poke rank B or C, not to be used and spammed as freely and mindlessly as metagross and other common things. If you try this, a final tip: pay attention to physical vs. special attacks more than the attack type after you curse up. The reason is you can take on things like waterfalls and blaze kicks. The bulk surprises a lot of people - it is immense after 1 or 2 curses:

252+ Atk Blaziken Blaze Kick vs. +2 252 HP / 0 Def Steelix: 44-54 (24.1 - 29.6%) -- 0% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery 

252+ Atk Gyarados Waterfall vs. +1 252 HP / 0 Def Steelix: 54-66 (29.6 - 36.2%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery   (vs. adamant gyarados)

I only know all of this poop because steelx is probably my favorite pokemon. tumblr_inline_mo11ah7Ugc1qz4rgp.gif Good luck fellow steelix user.

Edited by bl0nde