[MOD][IPS] The Other Moemon Ports (IT LIVES! All Gen 3/MMO Compatible! 527/649 Pokemon Moe-ized!)

The Other Moemon Ports

Download Links: Gen 3 IPS, PokeMMO Modfile

Last updated: April 21, 2018

Intro:

I've always been a huge fan of Moemon, but it seemed that other than the main patch everyone who worked on it had either stopped or disappeared. So I asked myself how hard can it be and got started on this. (Turns out it's a ton of busywork, but nothing too hard to do technically). Anyways, one thing led to another and now here I am with things to share with all of you!

So what exactly is this?

This is several different IPS ports for all Gen 3 games and a PokeMMO Mod port of the Mega Moemon FireRed Project run by the glorious Septentrion and the Moemon Fire Red Revival Project run by Moetal (both of whom you should all go send your love, thanks, and help to for keeping Moemon going).

So how do I install this?

For any Gen 3 Game:

Spoiler
  1. Download an IPS patcher (personally I prefer Lunar IPS).
  2. Get a clean Gen 3 Pokemon ROM, (U) version. (I'm obviously not going to tell you where to get one, so that's between you and Google).
  3. Optional: Use a hashing function to ensure you have the proper version of the desired ROM. Hashcode and basic instructions may be found in the download.
  4. Download and unzip the Gen 3 IPS patch.
  5. Apply your matching Gen 3 IPS patch.
  6. Boot the game up in your favorite emulator and enjoy!

For the PokeMMO Mod:

Spoiler
  1. Download the PokeMMO Mod version.
  2. Put the .mod file into the PokeMMO/data/mods folder in your PokeMMO installation.
  3. Open up PokeMMO and click the "Mod Management" button in the bottom right.
  4. Click the check box next to the "The Other Moemon Port" mod.
  5. Click the "Save" button.
  6. Restart your PokeMMO and enjoy!

Notes:

I don't guarantee that the Gen 3 patches will work with any other ROM patches. Use it with other patches at your own risk.

This is awesome! Who do I thank?

Spoiler

While I'd love to take all your undying love and affection, I'm just a humble porter working out the busywork tasks of making these sprites work on other versions. I don't own any of these awesome sprites, so if you want to thank someone, go thank all of the awesome spriters and other artists working over at the Mega Moemon FireRed Project and Moemon Fire Red Revival Project (or better yet, go volunteer to help them with sprites!), as well as the many artists who have worked on all the past versions of Moemon over the years. And then go thank both Moetal and Septentrion for keeping the Moemon project going through thick and thin.

What about Gen 4/5 games/pokemon?

Spoiler

Right now I am looking into potentially getting some mods set up for the Gen IV games, only time and effort will tell. For the Gen IV/V pokemon however, it's mainly just a matter of missing sprites. I've found placeholders for many, but at this point I've reached the extent of the internet and am simply waiting for more to be created. As such if you want to see more Mega Moemon FireRed Project and help them out. Even if you don't have any experience it's definitely something that you can pick up with a little effort and there are plenty of talented spriters over there to help critique your work. The more people that help out over there the faster they will get done with the older sprites and the sooner they will get working on the newer Gen V ones, which then lets me put them into Mods (and potentially IPS patches) for all of you to enjoy!

Will you keep updating this in the future?

Spoiler

I can promise I'll try my best, but not more than that. Now that I'm out in the real world life has a way of taking up a lot of the spare time I used to have in college, but I'll try my best to get updates up when possible.

Can you put together a version for X mod? It's my favorite!

Spoiler

While I won't put together random versions on request (it takes a fair bit of time per version per update, even with my automation scripts), I can point you to the tools as well as give you the list of steps that you would need to do to put your own version together. It's a lot of busywork in the initial setup (it took me about 5-6 hours of work to get the first version of a mod done by hand, though it's much less for updates after that) but nothing is really harder than clicking some buttons and copy-pasting some numbers. If you would like advice on how you would go about that, drop me a PM and I'll do my best to help you out.

Closing Thoughts:

I'd just like to say once again that without all of the work by the amazing folks over at the Mega Moemon FireRed Project and Moemon Fire Red Revival Project without which I wouldn't have anything to give to you guys, so make sure to check out their thread and see if there is anything you can do to help out. They are always in need of more spriters so don't be afraid to drop in. (It's really not that hard! Even I managed to help a bit on a sprite or two and there are plenty of more experienced spriters to set you on the right track.) I hope my work helps you guys to enjoy their work in ways that you wouldn't have been able to before.

Now go out there and Catch 'Em All!

Edited by OtherPlayers

this will make faster the battles? please answer. i mean sience there is no animation so there is no "wait-time" watching the animation

I'm pretty sure that it still has to wait the same amount of time, it's just that your pokemon stays stationary instead of bouncing or whatever. I tend to constantly be pressing/unpressing the "speed up" button on the emulator anyways when I play, though, so I couldn't tell you for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

I've found a couple bugs while I was playing this. I figured this would be the best place to mention them, since they don't show up in Moemon FireRed.

Some sprites (listed in the spoiler below) look kinda glitchy. [spoiler]Typhlosion, Totodile, Croconaw, Feraligator, Togetic, Natu, Xatu, Baltoy, and Minun[/spoiler]

GvjAI4J.png   I8DErqL.png   k9w39Y9.png

(Btw, all three of these screenshots are from the same battle.)

When I tried to open their sprites in a Gen III editing program, the following error message popped up:

Images failed to decompress. Aborting sprite load.

Another glitch I found is that the game crashes every time a Baltoy enters a battle.

TPDEGmT.png

Hopefully this has helped you!

• 2 weeks later...

Took a look into it and I seemed to be having some free space conflicts that were making things a bit more difficult than they should be. Since the revival project has updated I just took the opportunity of splitting the patch into one for Sigma Emerald and one for non-Sigma emerald to update any changed sprites as well. With any luck it should all work properly now, just make sure that you download the right patch version for what you are playing with.

As usual if you spot any updated sprites that I missed or horrible crashy bugs that could be related to the changes I've made in my port don't be afraid to poke me about them. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Just happened to log on today right after you updated, and if I know exactly what sprites have changed then the entire process of creating a new rolling update for the port only takes like 15 minutes, max. (Of course doing rolling upgrades like this does means that the patch does slowly get larger with each update, since AFAIK the advance series tools don't zero out the old sprite data, but I figure that people can stomach a few extra kilobytes in their downloads until such a time that I want to spend a few hours to redo it all and cut the size back again  ;)).

I mean it's literally just me opening up the newly patched Fire Red version, going to each changed sprite and exporting them all into a folder, double clicking the batch-file I wrote to convert them all to emerald versions, then reimporting them into the emerald version, tweaking their positions to match, and clicking the "make IPS patch" button. Compared to the great artistic work you guys put in creating these sprites, I'm just the unskilled truck driver that pokes the buttons to move them from one place to another.  :)

Mainly because Moemon Fire Red uses IPS, so in interest of making it easier for moemon fans to use this I kept it the same as that.

That said I'm not seeing any real benefits to using Xdelta other than not suffering from the 2 MB limit of IPS, which Moemon will probably never breach, since at such time that it reaches that mark all that has to be done is to reimport the sprites and recreate the patch to chop out all of the old images from the IPS patch. I mean it's hypothetical that we might breach it at some point, but I don't really see it as very likely. Are there any other advantages that I'm just not seeing here that Xdelta would provide?

• 4 weeks later...

First things first, thank you for the work in rigging this up. secondly I am encountering some difficulties getting the mods to run. at launch I recive a BIOS error, and I quote: "Unsupported BIOS function f0 called from 03001b28. a BIOS file is needed in order to get correct behavior." is this an error at my end, or have I installed the mods wrong, again?

EDIT: disregard this post, I did a dumb. *dons the cone of shame*

Edited by 1classybadger

Bit of an update on this in relation to the new mod system that PokeMMO is using. With the development of such a system, if you are actually downloading this to use with the MMO itself, you are probably better off just grabbing the mod version over from the Fire Red thread and installing that instead. Continued use of IPS patches to modify sprites is no longer guaranteed to work since the 8-20 patch, so if you are just downloading this for those reasons you're better off getting the mod that is guaranteed to work from the FireRed thread.

However, assuming that the forum gods are okay with it I would still like to keep this as a more solo-focused port of the Moemon mod for those of us out there who still like to crack open the single player version every now and then and sit down with a good 386 mod or for a nuzlocke round. I have no intention of stopping this emerald port of moemon any time soon despite its current lack of relevance towards the actual MMO itself, but I'd like it to be known that I see no reason to create an MMO mod file when it would just be an exact duplicate of the one being distributed by Moetal over in the FireRed thread.

• 4 weeks later...

there is baltoy encounter issue in sigma emerald patch, everytime it encountered the game restart to start screen

and the minun have same old problem with it's sprite

I use the newest patch of sigma emerald, because the old one has been eresed (sigma emerald a5)

• 3 weeks later...

First of all, thank you for your contribution in extending the Moemon project beyond what it was previously capable of, as it's great to see contributors providing the fans of mods with more options for implementing them. I'm hoping that, with the updates we've received to Sigma Emerald, there'll be an update to this soon. I've attempted to use the IPS on the latest version and my game refused to run past the title screen.

Ah, I hadn't noticed that Sigma Emerald had updated with a new branch (college has been cutting into my free time way more this semester, sadly  :(). That said thanks for bugging me about this, I'll look into trying to get an updated version for the latest Sigma Emerald going this weekend, with any luck.  :)

Edited by OtherPlayers