OU Tier Discussion Request Thread

6 minutes ago, DrButler said:

So do other set up mons actually.

____

Whats giving me a headache is how to reliably cover the possible HP Ele Venusaur without devoting half of the team to it since it beats cro as well.

mag?

Edit: I'm an idiot, delete this

Edited by suigin
5 minutes ago, suigin said:

mag?

same with meta, both do pretty well against swampert + venu cores. so you gotta run one of the named and tenta or cro to reliably shut down venu or risk eating sludges on your fire mons?

i feel like using venu is incredibly low risk and possibly high reward apart from pursuit users, who themselves are pretty high risk considering venus solid coverage. i also wouldnt wanna run mag + metagross every game.

i dont wanna unnecessarily ride the "venu op" hypetrain, but as i said building for that shit gives me headaches, so advice is highly appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

Its just considered to be OP because its the bulkiest Grasstype we have at the moment i guess.

Considering it cant be put to sleep by common moves like Spore or Sleep powder, or be poisoned. So possibilities for a save switch are there if you can predict a statusmove like that.

But furthermore Burn doesn´t stop it aswell, only parahax can put it down in curcial moments.

Once it is in it can be a threat, since it is so versitale that you need to make some scouting on it before react properly. By that time, you can be put in a very bad position.

Still i think its not too stronk, its just filling a neache and that pretty well. Yes a neache, since no other poke does what Venu can do ( by moves, stats and typing).

I mean there are several counters and i feel like almost every comp could adapt to it.

Just two more things:

you can outstall it with several pokes, key is here that you get your hands on a sp def that resists the common attacks. So Umbreon, Tenta or any Mono Psychic type with a bit Bulk in Sp def can do its job well. If you ask urself what set runing on umbreon: Spit, rest/wish, yawn, mean look.

The other option is to make a poke that bring it down fast with effective moves, while venusaur can only use not effective stabs or normal effective non stabs.

This is in my eyes less good since the pokemon you use is likely to take still heavy dmg to venu and might be left in 1hko range for the next pokemon.

Therefor i have not tested any build there, but my Mag´s with hp fire/psychic can do a good job if used well. Ofcourse you have to scout the hp fire first.

Other pokes that could do that aswell i think are : Aero (with any fly move), jolteon(with hp), Espeon (espeon could also be used for the first option: to bulk)

Of course venu can have, this or that. But at most it can have 4 Moves and running special neache counters on it, makes it vulnerable to other things. So Its always lacking in some coverage, always beatable always intense when venu comes in. So why destroy the joy of battle :3

Edited by BudsBender
3 hours ago, BudsBender said:

Its just considered to be OP because its the bulkiest Grasstype we have at the moment i guess.

Considering it cant be put to sleep by common moves like Spore or Sleep powder, or be poisoned. So possibilities for a save switch are there if you can predict a statusmove like that.

But furthermore Burn doesn´t stop it aswell, only parahax can put it down in curcial moments.

Once it is in it can be a threat, since it is so versitale that you need to make some scouting on it before react properly. By that time, you can be put in a very bad position.

Still i think its not too stronk, its just filling a neache and that pretty well. Yes a neache, since no other poke does what Venu can do ( by moves, stats and typing).

I mean there are several counters and i feel like almost every comp could adapt to it.

Just two more things:

you can outstall it with several pokes, key is here that you get your hands on a sp def that resists the common attacks. So Umbreon, Tenta or any Mono Psychic type with a bit Bulk in Sp def can do its job well. If you ask urself what set runing on umbreon: Spit, rest/wish, yawn, mean look.

The other option is to make a poke that bring it down fast with effective moves, while venusaur can only use not effective stabs or normal effective non stabs.

This is in my eyes less good since the pokemon you use is likely to take still heavy dmg to venu and might be left in 1hko range for the next pokemon.

Therefor i have not tested any build there, but my Mag´s with hp fire/psychic can do a good job if used well. Ofcourse you have to scout the hp fire first.

Other pokes that could do that aswell i think are : Aero (with any fly move), jolteon(with hp), Espeon (espeon could also be used for the first option: to bulk)

Of course venu can have, this or that. But at most it can have 4 Moves and running special neache counters on it, makes it vulnerable to other things. So Its always lacking in some coverage, always beatable always intense when venu comes in. So why destroy the joy of battle :3

jolteon dies to him, since hp ice is not stab. Espeon can 2hit him, but can't switch in safely. Fire types can switch in and 1hit him due to blaze, overheat blaziken, flamethrower typh, flamethrower zard, but those should not have to be an option.

But the thing is, this is not the right point of view, he has counters, he can't switch into everything safely. And once you know he has a venusaur on the team, you can play accordingly to that.

• Munya unpinned this topic
  • Munya pinned this topic

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.