OU Tier Discussion Request Thread

Why unban everything at once when some pokemon are obviosly op? Why not just try to unban some pokemon like snorlax and see what happens? I think it would be definitely less problematic than having to breed a whole new set of pokemon, play a really unbalanced tier for at least some months, getting the pokemon you bred banned, and reaching almost the same result, while many of those who played uu/nu have already left the game

• 2 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, Murcielago said:

so how long until snorlax is re banned?

Like JJ said, we have other fish to fry and as of our last meeting (last weekend) no one saw Snorlax fit to ban. I think it's worth breeding one or two if you want to give it a try - you can always make the final product male if you're afraid of it getting banned and having a worthless pokemon laying around.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/13/2016 at 7:19 PM, Murcielago said:

so how long until snorlax is re 

On 5/13/2016 at 7:18 PM, Murcielago said:

snorlax seems too good to not use but too good to breed cause it will get banned...

On that note i really got screwed with the gengar ban.......time to rebreed sommething in chaos egg group

• 2 months later...
10 minutes ago, fredrichnietze said:

so milotic is OU now. no thread, no discussion, definitely not because of usage. im not saying it shouldn't be ou, but whats the point of having a process if you ignore it?

I mean, it's a single Pokemon. Not a completely new meta with possibly new power structures like with the item update, just a single new Pokemon. It's pretty harmless to throw it in the tier where it 99% likely will end up to (there's a little off chance it comes a UU by usage for a second like Vape did) but in general nothing wrong with this to be honest.

Not to go all "hurr durr smogon" but it's pretty standard procedure there with Hoopa and Volcanion to just throw it in the tier they expect it that it belongs and no one complains ever. No one's denying everyone's right for a discussion, though. It just had to be put somewhere when implemented.

Edited by OrangeManiac
12 minutes ago, fredrichnietze said:

so milotic is OU now. no thread, no discussion, definitely not because of usage. im not saying it shouldn't be ou, but whats the point of having a process if you ignore it?

We had a bit of discussion about this earlier in an earlier thread, and a few of us came to a consensus that it honestly made more sense to start from the top (OU) and let usage dictate Milotic's position rather than from the bottom (NU). If it were introduced to NU first, it could potentially (likely) disturb the balance that is seen there and skew usage for the coming updates. 

Credit gbwead for the post. 

2 minutes ago, OrangeManiac said:

I mean, it's a single Pokemon. Not a completely new meta with possibly new power structures like with the item update, just a single new Pokemon. It's pretty harmless to throw it in the tier where it 99% likely will end up to (there's a little off chance it comes a UU by usage for a second like Vape did) but in general nothing wrong with this to be honest.

Not to go all "hurr durr smogon" but it's pretty standard procedure there with Hoopa and Volcanion to just throw it in the tier they expect it that it belongs and no one complains ever.

i can hear senile in his grave yelling at me. yea it's going to be ou, but it's like letting a 4 year old through security at the airport without going through all the bullshit everyone else has to. in theory the 4 year old could have a bomb but thats not going to happen. what might possibly happen is people throwing shit because they want to go through too but they have to have their ass probed and they dont think it fair that they have to do it when the 4 year old didnt. 

did i go to far with that metaphor? do you get me? and im only speaking up cause of the ghost of senile yelling in my ear, i dont actually care, i just want him to be quiet.

1 minute ago, fredrichnietze said:

i can hear senile in his grave yelling at me. yea it's going to be ou, but it's like letting a 4 year old through security at the airport without going through all the bullshit everyone else has to. in theory the 4 year old could have a bomb but thats not going to happen. what might possibly happen is people throwing shit because they want to go through too but they have to have their ass probed and they dont think it fair that they have to do it when the 4 year old didnt. 

did i go to far with that metaphor? do you get me? and im only speaking up cause of the ghost of senile yelling in my ear, i dont actually care, i just want him to be quiet.

In essence, the small 4 year old who potentially could have a bomb is not being allowed through the gate, just like those people throwing shit. We are being entirely unbiased in this situation and are probing both the young child and the other people by introducing them to the most hostile and secure airport we have available. If deemed unfit for that airport, or rather safe, they will be offered the opportunity to enter an airport that is less hostile, less secure and with fewer threats. 

I think Senile would probably approve of what tier council did for milotic. If there was any question of whether or not to put milotic in UU or OU, better to play it safe and keep it in OU. For something like sudowoodo, no one really thought it would have any niche at all in UU or OU so it was placed in NU pretty peacefully. I don't think anyone was super confident that milotic would be a good fit in UU and wouldn't get enough usage to just move up to OU in the next usage shift. If we got the regis or some other legendary, I'd say it's safe to put them all in OU, even though regirock might be more of a UU pokemon in theory. 

so since i'm getting namedropped, I guess I'll just drop in then with what I actually think.

Yeah, starting it in OU is fine. If we're comparing it to Smogon, I'm pretty sure they do drop new pokemon like that in OU, and then just drop it down if it doesn't meet usage, assuming the pokemon looks even remotely potentially viable. It's either start it out in NU (lol), starting it in UU (I guess??) or starting it in OU. If it's not altogether unlikely it'll meet OU usage, just drop it in OU to start with, if it's not used as much as was expected and drops to UU, just drop it and deal with it then, ez.

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, LifeStyle said:

qZDaW4I.png?1

It's really annoying how spammable Body Slam Snorlax is, this screen just shows how you go from winning to losing in 5 seconds, how is this "healthy" for the meta?

I mean, that was the risk you ran trying to set up on a paraslam lax. Would you have tried setting up on anything else with Body Slam? Just saiyan'. 

2 minutes ago, DoubleJ said:

I mean, that was the risk you ran trying to set up on a paraslam lax. Would you have tried setting up on anything else with Body Slam? Just saiyan'. 

Well I kinda had to set up on it since those were my last 2, I only took like 3-4 Body Slams in that match and 2 of them para'd Quag+Linoone

Idk man, I kinda feel like with Lax around you either run Dusclops/Sableye to avoid getting haxed to death, or you get haxed to death

Give me your oppinion tho DoubleJ, do you think having Snorlax on almost any team is a good thing for OU?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.