I'm a new player and just got intimidated...

xbamfo

I shared alot of these feelings as well when I started out. I was always seeing stuff in trade chat about clean Pokemon and such never knowing what that meant, for reference it means 0 EVs. After a while I started getting some advice on EVs and IVs and eventually bred some decent Gastly, albeit under the old system. Where am I now? Well, I don't know a whole lot about the competitive side, but I have caught on a tiny bit. I'm still trying to learn some more when I can. It's a painstaking process, but once you look past all the numbers and such it's a pretty fun system to work with.

Nerd.

Anyway, even if it's intimidating there is no reason to not get into competitive play unless you are absolutely not interested. You never know what will happen unless you give something new a try.

"This.... is too much. I just want to play Pokemon."

www.pokemonshowdown.com

"how you have to learn all these weird mechanics and do calculations and dump hours into it just to be remotely decent at the game. What the hell?"

Any on-line game has a learning curve. Welcome to PokeMMO.

Edited by bl0nde

"This.... is too much. I just want to play Pokemon."

www.pokemonshowdown.com

"how you have to learn all these weird mechanics and do calculations and dump hours into it just to be remotely decent at the game. What the hell?"

Any on-line game has a learning curve. Welcome to PokeMMO.

stop being a cyber bully bl0nde
how rude

i still dont understand all that competitive stuff i just stand at Vermillion (before that Mauville and before that viridian) trading different coloured  pixels and talking to people and ive been around a long time :D

But yeah if you cant be bothered grinding then i doubt this game is for you

this guy sold his body for comps, don't listen to him

Okay. So.... I'm going to be honest here. I never 'delved deep' into pokemon or anything. I just played the game. Because it was fun. I liked capturing Pokemon. I liked battling them. I liked leveling up. I liked going through the storyline and bringing myself up to be awesome. I played it like an rpg. Because that's sort of what it felt like to me.

I guess that's what it felt like to everyone.

I used to play and finish the game once just for the storyline and I'd do a rerun just to make a team out of all the cool pokemon i saw during my first run. B)

I came onto the forums because I was looking for a simple answer of  the question "Can I delete my character?". I screwed up his look and found that I couldn't change it without paying real money. And despite what the trailer told me about customization being a big feature... it feels very limited and honestly... I feel sort of lied to there. That I have to pay real money for any character customization. I feel like that kinda sucks. But whatever... I can get past that.

Be honest did that character creation screen look "very limited" to you ? :P

and you would have seen some of the players with lots of different costumes right that is pretty great compared to the original games.

But here's what scared me.

Everywhere on the forums I see a bunch of stuff about Effort Points and IV's and breeding and all this advanced stuff. And how it's all apparently broken, and how you have to learn all these weird mechanics and do calculations and dump hours into it just to be remotely decent at the game. What the hell?

So... apparently. I can't just... play the game and be decent at it. I  can't just catch Pokemon and have fun and battle people with my caught pokemon. Because I'll get my ass handed to me because I don't have enough "hidden breeding power"???????

And on top of that, to raise the stats properly I need to fight a whole bunch of the same pokemon? Like to raise speed I have to grind Zubats???

So far it's seeming like I might have more fun just playing a singleplayer pokemon game where I don't have to worry about all this breeding and weird other shit. I thought that having a multiplayer Pokemon game sounded great, but if I have to get into all this weird grinding (other than levelling up my pokemon), and breeding just to be able to have a decent match against someone... forget it.

When i started playing this game i didn't know what STAB was and if you don't as well i say welcome to my world or at least how it was when i started.but if you do imma just be like :o

and those things you mentioned don't matter unless you want to win against all the people who play this game. you can be a decent match as long as you know how to beat the e4 cuz the majority of players(comp players i'm not talking about you) are pretty much equivalent to them in terms difficulty. ;)

This.... is too much. I just want to play Pokemon. I liked the game because (I guess I was wrong though), it was simple. Or at least it felt simple. I want to play what I consider to be Pokemon, not breeding simulator. But I also don't want to suck at the game.

So. really, I have to ask the community of this place. Should I even bother?

I suggest you give this game a shot like collect all badges and by the time you finish you'll know if you want to stay for the PvP competitive play or not.
That's what i did.

lol

[spoiler]
Seriously. Nothing has changed here in a while
[/spoiler]

Moral of the story:

Don't like grinding?
Don't like learning?
Don't like trading your life for a game?

Then maybe MMO's aren't for you, pokemmo especially.

Now that i think of it, its for the best to keep it, this way you can interact with more people and make more friends. Grinding can be fun if you go around with a few friends and have a nice chat while at it. Maybe even talk in teamspeak. That way you can decrease the level of boredom-nyan~

Now that i think of it, its for the best to keep it, this way you can interact with more people and make more friends. Grinding can be fun if you go around with a few friends and have a nice chat while at it. Maybe even talk in teamspeak. That way you can decrease the level of boredom-nyan~

Exactly I usually go with friends hunting for wild 1x31, this TT we actually help a friend who was playing doubles between 3 members of the team to make a 5x31 and a 4x31 natured pokemon in just a day and we could do it, that's collaboration for me and excluding the narrowing ivs part is fun IMO
  • 3 weeks later...

I was just like you when I came into this game.

After finishing the story, I kept losing to some scrub all the time who told me IDK IVs and EVs I'll die.

So I started slowly, it was really boring... but then I got used to it.

Once you've got at least one team and some money, you'll be fine. Patience, my friend...