Ranked PVP with seasonal rewards

LionKIng

Question

Of course ranked PvP and a random matchmaking system is one of the crucial things that this game needs. Did anybody forget that it was already implemented? It failed, because nobody used it. The devs said that if it was going to be implemented again, they would have to find a way to make people play it.

Interestingly enough, devs have stated that PvP is a criminal offense, because it makes you avoid other parts of the gameplay. For them, PvP is nothing but a money sink. As it stands, prizes seems unlikely. Hopefully they will reconsder this some day.

I dont understand what else there is to do besides PvP after you beat the storyline, AFK in Vermilion? If this is how they really feel there is something seriously wrong.

I dont understand what else there is to do besides PvP after you beat the storyline, AFK in Vermilion? If this is how they really feel there is something seriously wrong.

Well, this is the point - apart from those who enjoy breeding and shiny hunting, PvP is the only content in the game. Why they feel like it should be a money sink is beyond me.

I think this idea is spectacular; people fight in officials and unofficials for the prizes that are given; better prize = better turnout.

Offering prizes for playing against other players more instead of just playing for tournaments would draw in more players to battle and give them something to do other than be uguu in Channel Chat in Channel 1.

Keeping people anonymous for this system is also good; you can't convince/pay people to lose intentionally, and people are much more likely to give it their all when duking it out.

The 'exploit' can simply be avoided by not matching up players that aren't in the same rank. Basically use the  League ranking table:

Bronze III

Bronze II

Bronze I

Silver III

So let's say you are in Bronze I, then you'd need a friend that is also in Bronze I but if you win your match and he loses his chances are that either that friend gets demoted to Bronze II and/or you get promoted to Silver III.

Of course you have the problem of not getting a match when you are in a higher league but we can simply say that after you are searching for 5 minutes the search broadens one standard deviation up and down example:

I'm in Silver III and looking for match:

First 5min: System looks for opponents in Silver III

After 5 min: System looks for opponents in Bronze I, Silver III and Silver II

After 10min: System looks for opponents from Bronze II to Silver I etc.

Edited by ThinkNice

The 'exploit' can simply be avoided by not matching up players that aren't in the same rank. Basically use the  League ranking table:

Bronze III

Bronze II

Bronze I

Silver III

So let's say you are in Bronze I, then you'd need a friend that is also in Bronze I but if you win your match and he loses his chances are that either that friend gets demoted to Bronze II and/or you get promoted to Silver III.

Of course you have the problem of not getting a match when you are in a higher league but we can simply say that after you are searching for 5 minutes the search broadens one standard deviation up and down example:

Our game does not have the existing player base to create so many divisions. You would need at least 100 players per division.

Bronze III

Bronze II

Bronze I

Silver III

The lack of that last part is exactly why the old system failed - once the disparity in player ratings grew, no one could get a match. Another thing that is vital, IMO, would be to have teams that you could pre-load into your "battle party," that way you didn't have to carry around a team of comps while you waited for a match. That was another thing that really annoyed me about the old matchmaking in upstairs PCs - I had to stay put and couldn't go out and "be productive" while waiting upwards of 10 minutes for matches

Our game does not have the existing player base to create so many divisions. You would need at least 100 players per division.

Agreed we can't have as much divisions as league does. You won't need 100 players per division though. I would start small with 6 divisions and a monthly reward based on your division and then resetting the ladder.

The lack of that last part is exactly why the old system failed - once the disparity in player ratings grew, no one could get a match. Another thing that is vital, IMO, would be to have teams that you could pre-load into your "battle party," that way you didn't have to carry around a team of comps while you waited for a match. That was another thing that really annoyed me about the old matchmaking in upstairs PCs - I had to stay put and couldn't go out and "be productive" while waiting upwards of 10 minutes for matches

Yep totally, Battle Box should be a thing and we should be able to do something else while we wait for a match. Why would you do PvP if it's much more rewarding to be grinding money or catch breeders? Our PvP base is dying out rapidly because there is no new blood this is due to grinding but also because of bad it is to PvP as it basically costs you money. PvP needs to be promoted way, way more and grinding should be toned down or else we'll be facing a dead comp base pretty soon.

Unfortunately everything I wanted to say has been said in some way already. :P

Real good suggestion though, we need some more PvP incentive and new blood. This might encourage it.

Edited by Inarin