[UU Discussion] Kangaskhan (Remains UU)

kangaskhan-mega.jpg

Screen%20Shot%202015-02-23%20at%2011.34.

Early Bird

Popular Moveset:

Bulky Eb Rest ~ 252 HP / split Sp.Def Atk

• Rest
  • Body Slam/Double-Edge
  • Earthquake
  • Crunch

The last we heard of the mother pokemon in UU we were still clearing out large threats like Breloom and Machamp. Since that time there have been less threats to Kangaskhan the best options to take it out using CB fighting type moves. However Kangaskhan's ability to take any special hit in the tier and rest off the damage with 1 turn wake is quite overwhelming along with dishing powerful hits back.

Notable checks include Omastar, Armaldo, Golem, Steelix, Solrock, Aggron (to an extent). Armaldo being the best option as it has access to Superpower and good bulk taking only neutral damage from Khan, the rest still get outsped and hit by eq or crunch in solrock's case.

Edited by Kizhaz

we're not friends anymore.

also add hitmontop, mawile, grandbull, claydol, quagsire, blastoise, shuckle, defensive nidoqueen, clefable, gligar, zangoose, kingler, kabutops, nidoking, poliwrath, and stantler to the list of counters. (yes some are "i can only force out once")

Hitmotop yes, mawile eq too stronk and not much it can do in return, Granbull yes but lack of recovery hurts, claydol crunch too stronk and eq does barely anything from memory, quagsire a solid stalemate, blastoise eats the hits but cant do much else unless counter, shuckle can toxic and encore rest I guess, defensive queen I wouldnt know w/out calcs but it seems like a solid counter, clefable another stalemate, gligar yes but gets worn down, zangoose can it even take a hit?, kingler can come in once or twice and force it out, kabutops beware of the eq, nidoking can come in once or twice, poliwrath can come in once or twice, stantler c'mon fred be serious :3

Im on phone so no calcs yet.

Hitmotop yes, mawile eq too stronk and not much it can do in return, Granbull yes but lack of recovery hurts, claydol crunch too stronk and eq does barely anything from memory, quagsire a solid stalemate, blastoise eats the hits but cant do much else unless counter, shuckle can toxic and encore rest I guess, defensive queen I wouldnt know w/out calcs but it seems like a solid counter, clefable another stalemate, gligar yes but gets worn down, zangoose can it even take a hit?, kingler can come in once or twice and force it out, kabutops beware of the eq, nidoking can come in once or twice, poliwrath can come in once or twice, stantler c'mon fred be serious :3

mawile

-1 4 Atk Kangaskhan Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mawile: 40-48 (25.4 - 30.5%) -- 2.9% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
get SD and iron def while khan has no set up
bull
-1 4 Atk Kangaskhan Body Slam vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Granbull: 40-48 (20.3 - 24.3%) -- guaranteed 5HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Granbull Superpower vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Kangaskhan: 256-302 (120.7 - 142.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
claydol
4 Atk Kangaskhan Crunch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Claydol: 42-50 (25.1 - 29.9%) -- 0% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
clay will reflect then toxic or eq spam then rest. khan needs a def drop from crunch to win. 
quagsire can curse and khan can not
blastoise can hit back and pray for crits which will be more beneficial to blast since it can also hit on physical side.
clefable can encore  +twave + softboil + seimic toss khan to death if no para from bslam.
zangoose
4 Atk Kangaskhan Body Slam vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Zangoose: 70-84 (46.9 - 56.3%) -- 78.5% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Zangoose Low Kick (80 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Kangaskhan: 166-196 (78.3 - 92.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
kabu can run bulk + cb to get more switch ins and do more damage.
stantler is a legit counter
-1 4 Atk Kangaskhan Body Slam vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Stantler: 46-55 (25.5 - 30.5%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Stantler Superpower vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Kangaskhan: 218-258 (102.8 - 121.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

also pretty much anything faster (remember spec wall aint running speed) with decent attack can force out khan. i'd be more worried about chansey with counter if i were you.

also can i get some credit for inventing this set? if you dont believe me talk to senile since i talked to him about it close to a year ago.

also more possible moves are
toxic (wall remember?)
wish + protect (protect scout those cb'ers + wish support from your dedicated spec wall )
sub + fp (coverage and sub stops a lot of intimidate abuse, as well as status and other things)
ice punch (alt/gligay/rocks)

i dont see this getting S class much less B& to BL. 

What is with the disinclination of "oh geez I can't use Special Pokemon well nowadays" in the tiers. Moreso Kangashkan that's been discussed so many damn times now.

It depends on your set, really. Also suddenly Kangashkan can do everything at once, and it's better if you specified how it's invested, what it lives, what it can 2HKO, etc. It's exaggerated how a coverage move can deal with a check/counter when some calcs fred gave evidence it isn't that hard hitting especially when you're not running a Choice Band. Coverage moves don't mean massive damage, for your humble information. While you're fast with 90 Speed, slower variants of Kangashkan are also more vulnerable to revenge killing to Speed invested ones. It can do a lot of things and it's good, but it's not even close to the major suspect rank. 

I think Kanga is a pretty awesome pokemon to use in UU, but seeing as how it is unable to boost its stats, I don't see it taking advantage of its bulk in that way. I agree with that one turn sleep due to rest though, that is pretty fucking scary.

Imo it gets walled hard by a lot of things which can take advantage of it like Shuckle can come in and get a guaranteed knock off/encore, Armaldo can set up SD, Omastar can set up spikes etc. A bulky exeggutor can also win vs kanga 1v1 if I'm right due to its good bulk. 

It's not the kind of pokemon that can remotely sweep through the meta so it definitely won't fall under the Offensive category. It can take defensive hits as well but it dies from physical CB attacks especially with how you see Lee everywhere. So I don't think it is defensive either. Not sure how Kanga supports its teammates either but wish/protect is nice support but that can be said for almost anything so that's probably not a valid reasoning either. 

For the record it doesn't need max sp.def investment in order to soak up special hits unless it's taking a stab hp fighting. This gives it some room to invest in atk and even go adamant. So lets say for this we have 252 HP 140 Sp.D 116 Atk Adamant (gets the extra atk point at this number), using this to reply to Fred's calcs

Mawile~ -1 116+ Atk Kangaskhan Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mawile: 48-58 (30.5 - 36.9%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

You said mawile can use SD or Iron def (never seen an ID one before though nor do I see reason tbh) but Mawiles best atk are the elemental punches or Focus punch?

+2 4 Atk Mawile ThunderPunch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Kangaskhan: 60-71 (28.3 - 33.4%) -- 94.4% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

not really reliable, especially if khan has recovery whilst you don't

Granbull~ I'll be honest this calc surprised me, however using this khan spread and opting for D-edge

-1 116+ Atk Kangaskhan Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Granbull: 67-81 (34 - 41.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Granbull does remain more threatening to khan but will be outsped and has no recovery if it continues to switch in. Body Slam calc too just cos

-1 116+ Atk Kangaskhan Body Slam vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Granbull: 49-58 (24.8 - 29.4%) -- 99.9% chance to 4HKO.

Claydol~ Firstly the 4 moves you mentioned fro claydol were reflect, toxic, eq and rest. I've never seen a rest claydol... maybe you have to get to semi's to see that stuff. Reflect is a good point but toxic seems kinda redundant considering Khans eb rest other than the fact that it's forcing the rest.

0 Atk Claydol Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Kangaskhan: 51-61 (24 - 28.7%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery

116+ Atk Kangaskhan Crunch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Claydol: 52-62 (31.1 - 37.1%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

116+ Atk Kangaskhan Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Claydol: 57-67 (34.1 - 40.1%) -- 38.1% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

and with reflect up does half those values so it just becomes a tedious match up

Quagsire~ I seem to have forgotten the curse set, it's been a while since a faced one but you are right, it would win 1v1

Blastoise~ Ignoring "pray for crits" If Blast is running max bulk

4 SpA Blastoise Surf vs. 252 HP / 140 SpD Kangaskhan: 49-58 (23.1 - 27.3%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery

4 Atk Blastoise Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Kangaskhan: 39-47 (18.3 - 22.1%) -- possible 6HKO after Leftovers recovery

compared to

116+ Atk Kangaskhan Body Slam vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Blastoise: 42-51 (22.5 - 27.4%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery

116+ Atk Kangaskhan Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Blastoise: 58-70 (31.1 - 37.6%) -- 0.5% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Although recoil + surf damage will add up, eventually both will just rest of the damage.

Clefable~ Twave, seismic, softboiled, encore would probably win but will also rely on para, for both parties if bslam khan.

116+ Atk Kangaskhan Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 72-85 (35.6 - 42%) -- 90.6% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

116+ Atk Kangaskhan Body Slam vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 51-61 (25.2 - 30.1%) -- 0.8% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

Kabutops~ eq will always be a 2hko unless your running max def and some hp, Kabu obv's kills with superpower and should outspeed, it wouldn't like taking a bslam para however

116+ Atk Kangaskhan Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 252 Def Kabutops: 70-84 (51.8 - 62.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Zangoose~ 116+ Atk Kangaskhan Body Slam vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Zangoose: 85-102 (57 - 68.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

ouch, and your calc showed low kick didnt ohko so this isn't even a check

Stantler~ It doesn't get superpower and if it does, it shouldn't.

252 Atk Choice Band Stantler Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Kangaskhan: 150-177 (70.7 - 83.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Return doing a little less

-1 116+ Atk Kangaskhan Body Slam vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Stantler: 57-67 (38.2 - 44.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

-1 116+ Atk Kangaskhan Double-Edge vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Stantler: 79-94 (53 - 63%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Although recoil + stantlers hit would kill I believe, but again another pokemon that really doesn't want para.

What is with the disinclination of "oh geez I can't use Special Pokemon well nowadays" in the tiers. Moreso Kangashkan that's been discussed so many damn times now.

It depends on your set, really. Also suddenly Kangashkan can do everything at once, and it's better if you specified how it's invested, what it lives, what it can 2HKO, etc. It's exaggerated how a coverage move can deal with a check/counter when some calcs fred gave evidence it isn't that hard hitting especially when you're not running a Choice Band. Coverage moves don't mean massive damage, for your humble information. While you're fast with 90 Speed, slower variants of Kangashkan are also more vulnerable to revenge killing to Speed invested ones. It can do a lot of things and it's good, but it's not even close to the major suspect rank. 

I never said I can't use special pokemon, I said special hits won't do much to kanga, also it has been discussed only once since the update and that discussion was very premature considering the bigger treats we had in UU back then, whereas now it is a very powerful poke in the tier.

I just made a set in this reply so i'm good there, also I have no idea where you got "Kangaskhan can do everything at once" from, it takes hits and can deliver hits... calcs are made now and as for speed it can be left at 110 or you can creep to 113 to outspeed common (or possibly not so common now) banded pokes.

_____

A little off topic now, when I'm in a UU battle and my opponent sends a Kangaskhan that eats my special hit and basically recovers the damage with lefties, then I have to wonder which move it will go for since it has coverage on everything, if it uses bslam I can't send a fast sweeper risking the para, so left using my wall against this thing, ultimately wearing it down and rendering it useless for my intended purpose. Then it rests... and I know I'm not the only person that has had trouble with khan. My match against Kazooka today was what really showed me this things strength, it wasn't until a crit mach punch hit it that I actually saw it's hp bar drop. Kangaskhan's ability to repeatedly switch in repeatedly with very little risk is what truly makes it terrifying, topped off with its above average offensive pressure. In the end it seems it has a multitude of pokemon that can somewhat compete with it in a 1v1 situation and will more than likely be staying in UU, but it is a pokemon that at least deserves to be discussed.

you claim that sp def kanga is too strong , but yet you do calcs with adamant nature and 116 atk evs...

sp def kanga is no where near too strong , he can die from any special attacker and is walled by many physical walls 

also you guys forgot to add villeplume on the counter list , leech seed just wrecks kanga , i know i got one and used it many times vs villeplume and i can't do much

also may i add, the ev spread and set on the kanga is really obvious the way people use their kanga. So the argument about it being very versatile and all doesnt really apply because of how obvious the different sets are (full psychical vs special def wall ofc)

I think people are underestimating cb kangaskhan. Although it is a lot more seen as a bulky attacker, it is arguably one of the better cb'ers in the tier. It turns many of its counters into easy kills as cb kanga 2hkos quagsire/granbull/some hitmontops/blastoise/gligar with stab double edge, and can easily 2hko its other "checks" with earthquake, except god tier armaldo. And kangas already has a massive amount of hp without investment, at 181 (well with 4 hp evs kek), so its not like its losing that much bulk and gets some rather useful speed. If tier council doesn't think choice band kangaskhan warrants a ban, I would recommend them reevaluating the ban on tauros as well (and reevaluate some other bans also possibly maybe cough probably cough)

kangaskhan-mega.jpg

Screen%20Shot%202015-02-23%20at%2011.34.

Early Bird

Popular Moveset:

Bulky Eb Rest ~ 252 HP / split Sp.Def Atk

• Rest
  • Body Slam/Double-Edge
  • Earthquake
  • Crunch

Here is my opinion on this kangaroo, I think it is usable, but not ban worthy. Is it a bit scary? Yes, but that doesn't mean that we axe it all together. There are plenty of counters that can make kanga cry. fred listed some. (Too lazy to quote...)

89181a35f4d12021263ccecf64e84a6a.png

These are the counters to Kanga. If you feel that Kanga is dominating the meta, I would have to differ with you, but I enjoy hearing a vast amount of opinions.

My Verdict: Even though this kangaroo scares me when I sleep at night, I think that Kangastan should stay in UU. It has plenty of counters and even though choice banded kanga does kick some rear end in UU, I still believe that kanga can remain in the tier because of the vast amount of counters that Fred mentioned.Kangaskhan_C.gif?version=71e1799cdcc9674

I think people are underestimating cb kangaskhan. Although it is a lot more seen as a bulky attacker, it is arguably one of the better cb'ers in the tier. It turns many of its counters into easy kills as cb kanga 2hkos quagsire/granbull/some hitmontops/blastoise/gligar with stab double edge, and can easily 2hko its other "checks" with earthquake, except god tier armaldo. And kangas already has a massive amount of hp without investment, at 181 (well with 4 hp evs kek), so its not like its losing that much bulk and gets some rather useful speed. If tier council doesn't think choice band kangaskhan warrants a ban, I would recommend them reevaluating the ban on tauros as well (and reevaluate some other bans also possibly maybe cough probably cough)

I was tempted to put the cb set in the OP when I made the thread but I felt the most common and arguably better set was the bulky rester, but seeing the damage it does to defensive uguu's like gligar, blastoise ect I may need to shove it in the op

252 Atk Choice Band Kangaskhan Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gligar: 87-103 (50.5 - 59.8%) -- 86.7% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Choice Band Kangaskhan Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Blastoise: 90-106 (48.3 - 56.9%) -- 41.4% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

even steelix isn't safe

252 Atk Choice Band Kangaskhan Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Steelix: 78-92 (42.8 - 50.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

and as you said alot of it's checks become fodder if expecting the bulky set, might have to start running armaldo. Ultimately this ends up as a prediction game, making sure you don't send in a rock type expecting the normal stab only to be rocked by an eq. Armaldo and shuckle are the only pokes that can come in on any move I believe and shuckle's toxic may prove useful in this situation

Edited by Kizhaz

i would like to point out CB khan has a very big draw back. with CB it cant run rest so it's ability is useless. the only thing is has on bull is a Little speed and a little spec bulk. after intimidate bull as significantly more defensive bulk and hits harder.

vs lax cause neutral att/def

-1 252+ Atk Snorlax Body Slam vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Granbull: 60-72 (30.4 - 36.5%) -- 54.6% chance to 3HKO
252+ Atk Snorlax Body Slam vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Kangaskhan: 85-102 (40 - 48.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

also vs lax 252 hp cause easy
252+ Atk Choice Band Kangaskhan Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Snorlax: 192-226 (71.9 - 84.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Granbull Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Snorlax: 225-265 (84.2 - 99.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

with choice banders you want to switch in and do as much damage as you can then switch out. since grandbull is switching in vs specific physical threats it's a good cb'er. khan does not have any switch in that bull does not and with a useless ability (unlike intimidate) and pretty much the exact same type/moveset.

TL;DR cb khan<<<<<cb grandbull which has almost half the usage of khan and no [suspect thread]. so we should just ignore cb set in this discussion unless bull gets a thread/banned.

i would like to point out CB khan has a very big draw back. with CB it cant run rest so it's ability is useless. the only thing is has on bull is a Little speed and a little spec bulk. after intimidate bull as significantly more defensive bulk and hits harder.

vs lax cause neutral att/def
-1 252+ Atk Snorlax Body Slam vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Granbull: 60-72 (30.4 - 36.5%) -- 54.6% chance to 3HKO

252+ Atk Snorlax Body Slam vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Kangaskhan: 85-102 (40 - 48.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

also vs lax 252 hp cause easy

252+ Atk Choice Band Kangaskhan Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Snorlax: 192-226 (71.9 - 84.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Granbull Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Snorlax: 225-265 (84.2 - 99.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

with choice banders you want to switch in and do as much damage as you can then switch out. since grandbull is switching in vs specific physical threats it's a good cb'er. khan does not have any switch in that bull does not and with a useless ability (unlike intimidate) and pretty much the exact same type/moveset.

TL;DR cb khan<<<<<cb grandbull which has almost half the usage of khan and no [suspect thread]. so we should just ignore cb set in this discussion unless bull gets a thread/banned.

Not really sure how you are justifying that granbull is better than kangaskhan. Kangas has much better speed and special bulk, which make up for its lower attack (and physical bulk maybe?). Outspeeding hitmonlee, gligar, and whatever else is between 97 and 157 is a lot more useful than intimidating something that might not be a physical attacker. Kangas also has the higher base hp which reduces the percentage of hp taken from double edge (not the actual amount of hp lost)

Not really sure how you are justifying that granbull is better than kangaskhan. Kangas has much better speed and special bulk, which make up for its lower attack (and physical bulk maybe?). Outspeeding hitmonlee, gligar, and whatever else is between 97 and 157 is a lot more useful than intimidating something that might not be a physical attacker. Kangas also has the higher base hp which reduces the percentage of hp taken from double edge (not the actual amount of hp lost)

im saying cb bulky khan is inferior to cb bulky bull. idk why anyone would use fast khan in UU. also fast khan has less hp then bulky bull.

im saying cb bulky khan is inferior to cb bulky bull. idk why anyone would use fast khan in UU. also fast khan has less hp then bulky bull.

wasn't sure who ran cb bulky kangas either. cb bulky granbull isn't exactly that viable sitting at 66 speed, getting outsped by pretty much most relevant attackers in the tier. Speed kangas has 16 lower hp than granbull, more sp defense, more defense (not factoring intimidate which doesn't always apply because of switching mechanics), twice the speed

Did I just see a Tauros / Kangaskhan comparison.

Guys Magmar = Linoone so Kanga = Tauros =)

No.

kek it was a stretch maybe. But there are some similarities

also cb kangas can run iron tail to hit armaldo/shuckle and hit haunter/golem at the same time

Did I just see a Tauros / Kangaskhan comparison.

Guys Magmar = Linoone so Kanga = Tauros =)

No.

Similiarities Think.

You're being irrational. You know what they mean, it's a parallel. Comparing makes it more understandable when people aren't nit picking.

Similiarities Think.
You're being irrational. You know what they mean, it's a parallel. Comparing makes it more understandable when people aren't nit picking.

the diffetence of 20 base speed and a useable ability when equipped with CB is now called nitpicking. Alright.

kek it was a stretch maybe. But there are some similarities

also cb kangas can run iron tail to hit armaldo/shuckle and hit haunter/golem at the same time

dontcha mean MISS TAIL? since iron tail never hits?

When Discussions Get Silly: The 2015 Story of PokeMMO UU. 

um remember that disscusion me and senile had about mantine in NU back in 2013? Lf those perfect calm trace porygon 1's (not 2) with enough speed to beat mantine + thunder plus very specific ev spreads.

Edited by fredrichnietze
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Munya pinned this topic