Creative Writing Contest: A Gym Leader Battle (1st May - 1st June)

Noad

Hi! I want to participate too!

But I have a doubt with the IGN: is it my account in the game, or rather my character's name?

It seems more logical to me that it is the second choice, but if I'm wrong please tell me!

So, here is my IGN: LuluViBritannia.

To understand better my story, here are a few things to know:

- I took the Japanese names for the characters, because I knew/liked them better. So, here is a little recap:

Satoshi= Ash

Hikari= Dawn

Sumomo= Maylene (Veilstone City Gym Leader)

Shinji= Paul

- There are many references to the anime, if you understand them you'll like the story better!

Finally, here is the story (it makes 1493 words):

[spoiler]Satoshi had just come back home. This morning, he was happily eating breakfast with Pikachu, when his mother came in with a bunch of mail. “Honey, there is something for you!” she said. Satoshi and Pikachu were joyful. “Really? Thanks!” he said while his mother gave him a mail. It was from Hikari. Satoshi opened it and started to read it with Pikachu.

“Dear Satoshi,

How are you? I saw you in the Unova League, too bad you lost... But you were so great!

I came back home for a few weeks, I watched you with my mother, and seeing you against a Lucario made me think of the old times! So I decided to visit Sumomo in Veilstone city, since it had been a while. Arriving there, I witnessed something awesome, I figured it would definitely interest you since it is about... battle!

So, I arrived in Veilstone City, and I got to the Pokemon Center. Then, I quickly went to the Gym. The place hasn't changed since you've fought Sumomo! Of course, they repaired the building (do you remember you completely destroyed the roof during your battle?).

There, Sumomo was fighting someone. Her opponent was a cool guy with a red vest and a black jean. Sumomo had Meditita on the field. Her opponent’s Pokemon was a beautiful Pidgeot. The fight seemed close to the end: Meditita would clearly fall. I heard Sumomo yell “Meditita, use Psychic!” Meditita reacted instantly, and hit Pidgeot. It made the bird crash down on the ground. But the challenger didn’t seem worried at all! “Get up and fight back with Aerial Ace!” Sumomo smiled: “It’s our chance! Meditita, use Detect!” Meditita was ready to avoid the Aerial Ace. But Luke screamed “As I planned! Double Team!” The Pidgeot was duplicated, so Meditita had no idea of when to avoid! By instinct, it avoided the first Pidgeot… but it was fake! Meditita also avoided the second one, but the third one, the real Pidgeot, hit it! It was so powerful, Meditita fell down. Sumomo called it back. Then, she saw me. She was surprised, but very happy: “Hikari! It's been a long time!” I answered her questions about my being here, and asked her what was going on. “Luke is competing for the Sinnoh League this year. Excuse-me, I have to end this, but then we'll catch up! You can stay and watch if you want to. Is it all right, Pokemon Ranger?” Surprised, I looked at her opponent, Luke: a Pokemon Ranger? That’s so cool! He looked at me too, and smile. “Well, why not? It's nice having such a cute spectator. Well, let's keep going!” Sumomo approved and sent Machoke. You too fought that Machoke with a bird, remember? So, the fight started again: Luke told his Pidgeot to attack with Brave Bird. Pidgeot quickly attacked its opponent. I heard Sumomo say “Machoke, show Hikari what you’ve learned: Rock Tomb!” and Luke: “Too late! Go!” But he was wrong: Machoke launched its attack right in time: rocks fell from above and hit both Machoke and Pidgeot. Machoke got out of the rocks, revealing a beaten Pidgeot. Sumomo smiled, but then Machoke fell down: Pidgeot had actually touched its target! Luke laughed: “Well, you did some great job, Pidgeot. Come back, you earned some rest!” He pointed Pidgeot with a Pokeball and called it back. Then, he took another ball from his bag. “Pichu, here you go!” He threw his Pokeball in the air, and a cute little Pichu came out. It had a neckless with a grey stone. “Is it an Everstone?” I asked, and Luke said “It's Pichu's call: she didn't want to evolve. She has kind of a “Pichu pride”, that's insane...” Sumomo laughed: “This Pichu seems to have a lot of personality!” She was right: even though Pichu was small, it seemed determined. Sumomo summoned Lucario. While I was sitting down, Luke had Pichu make Agility. Sumomo reacted instantly: “Now, Pichu is still for a second! Lucario, Aura Sphere!” But Luke didn't panic: “Let's give it back: Iron Tail!” In a flash, Pichu turned back and hit the Aura Sphere with his tail: it was so powerful that the shockwave made the Gym shake! The Aura Sphere hit Lucario. I looked at Pichu: it was already gone! I looked for it and finally saw it in the air, right above its opponent. Then I heard Luke say “Go! Iron Tail again!” but Sumomo answered to it: “Metal Claw!” Both of Lucario's hands got metal claws, but it attacked with only one hand. The two moves hit into one another. “Now, use your other hand to hit Pichu!” Sumomo said. Lucario did, and Pichu couldn't react in time. It was hit so hard that it crashed in the roof. Then it fell on the ground. “Are you ok, Pichu?” Luke asked, and Pichu happily answered while getting up. “You're good, Sumomo!” Luke said, and she answered “He he, don't underestimate a Gym Leader! Lucario, Aura Sphere!” Luke fought back: “Pichu, counter it with Thunderbolt!” The two moves hit right in the middle of the field. The ground shook again, the floor even cracked! I looked at Luke: he seemed to be thinking. “Pichu... Are you sure you want to keep it? The stone, it is.” Furious, Pichu turned toward her trainer, yelling at him. “I got it, I got it! Then, another Agility!” Pichu used Agility, increasing its speed again. Sumomo tried again: “Lucario, get close to it and use Force Palm!” Lucario quickly came next to Pichu and tried to hit it. I looked at Sumomo: she was doing the same moves as Lucario. She hasn't changed at all! I looked at the fight again: Pichu had disappeared again, Lucario seemed lost. Luke took the chance: “Volt Tackle!” Lucario turned back, while Sumomo said “Now! Jump and use Force Palm!” Lucario jumped a bit too late: the Volt Tackle hit its leg. But Lucario's Force Palm succeeded in touching Pichu. Because of the shock, Lucario was sent in the air, and Pichu was half buried in the ground. “Pichu, you have to get out of here, NOW!” But it was too late: Sumomo said “Finish it with Bone Crush!” While Lucario was moving, Sumomo was doing the same thing again. She was confident: it was the end of the battle. “Pichu, use Agility one more time and get out of here!” Luke screamed. But it was too late: Lucario hit Pichu. The smoke produced by the shock was preventing us from seeing anything. Even though we couldn't tell what was going on, Luke talked to his Pokemon: “Listen, Pichu! You have to take off that stone! It's not about strength, style, or victory! It's about moving on! About letting the past behind us! Let's let it go... all our past! This is not your evolution: this is OURS! Pichu!” No answer... was it really the end? Suddenly, something came out of the smoke, heading to Luke. Luke caught it: it was the Everstone. He smiled and looked at the field, so did I: Pichu jumped out of the smoke, very hurt but still standing. “Ok, Pichu! Iron Tail!” I heard Luke say, and then Sumomo: “Lucario, avoid it!” Pichu, in the air, prepared its move and headed to Lucario. During his jump, Pichu started to glow: he was evolving! This was such a surprise that Lucario didn't react when the brand new Pikachu hit it with a long powerful Iron Tail. “Well done, Pichu! Sorry, I mean Pikachu!” Luke said, and Pikachu answered. I couldn't help but yell “Amazing!” But Luke and Sumomo were so focused on the fight that they didn't notice me. Lucario and Pikachu were standing in front of one another. The last move would be the last! I heard both the trainers yell “Volt Tackle!” and “Bone Crush!” and then the two Pokemon ran toward their opponent. But suddenly... Lucario stopped moving and fell! It had been paralyzed when it had touched its opponent, because of Pichu's capacity (Static, of course you know it!). Luke's Pikachu kept going, and finally hit Lucario. And that was it: Lucario was defeated!

I have rarely seen such an intense battle, this was crazy! I hadn't felt like that since your fights against Shinji. By the way, I saw his brother, he sends you his congratulations for the Unova League. He told me Shinji is still traveling around the world. He seems to be kinder with his Pokemon, now. Isn't it great?

What about you? What will you do now? I want to know everything, so answer quickly!

Bye!

Hikari

PS: Piplup says he misses Pikachu! “

Satoshi finished to read and talked to Pikachu: “He seems strong, this Luke! This makes me want to train, now! Come on, Pikachu!” Followed by his best friend Pikachu, Satoshi quickly got out of the house… and of course, had forgotten to answer Hikari![/spoiler]

Thanks for reading, feel free to discuss about it!

Edited by Dante012

this is my first time entering in one of these competitions so go soft on me (lookin @ u grampaaa)

feel free to fix my spelling + grammar or whatever but dont tell me to change my british spelling u silly americans

[spoiler]

“The winner is the challenger, James from Nuvema Town.”

James sighed with relief; he had won. He flashed a smile to the announcer before calling his Oshawott back into its Pokéball.

His opponent Serena, one of the Gym Trainers of Aspertia Gym, called back her fainted Patrat before walking across the arena to where James was standing.

“That was a superb battle,” she said, holding out her hand.

James shook it and nodded. “Thanks, you were really tough.”

“Are you ready for Cheren?” she asked.

James glanced to the side of the arena where Cheren, the current Gym Leader, was sitting in the stands, watching the battle. James nodded.

“He looked impressed,” Serena smiled. “He’ll definitely take you as a challenger.”

“I hope so,” replied James. “I’ve been training for ages for this gym battle.”

“You look so alike,” she said. “The black hair, the glasses. If only you dressed smarter, you’d be twins.”

“Like I’d want to be twins with that guy,” James joked.

Serena giggled and waved before jogging off the arena and leaving through a side door. James stood still, waiting to hear Cheren’s decision. He didn’t see why Cheren wouldn’t let him challenge the gym; he had defeated both of the Gym Trainers after all, but he still felt nervous as Cheren made his way down the stands.

The announcer walked across the arena to meet up with Cheren at the barricade. After a moment of hushed conversation, the announcer made his way back to James.

“Sorry, kid, it’s a no-go.”

James saw red. “Why not? I defeated his stupid Gym Trainers!”

“I know, but Cheren’s the boss and he said no.”

James spun around to Cheren who was walking away with his back to the arena. “Cheren!” he yelled. “Stop being a coward and fight me!”

Cheren paused for a moment, as if considering whether to reply or not, before turning around. “You’re not ready.”

“I got my Pokémon, I trained for weeks, and I beat your Gym Trainers. I’m ready!”

“No,” Cheren shook his head. “I won’t allow it. Come back when you’re older.”

James took a few steps towards the stands. “I’m more than old enough to start getting badges and you know it, now fight me!”

Cheren smiled and shook his head. “Sorry, little brother, but you’re just not ready.” He turned to leave.

“Coward,” James said just loudly enough for Cheren to hear.

“What?”

“You’re a coward! You won’t fight me because you’re scared. You’re scared that I’ll be better than you at being a trainer, and a Gym Leader.”

Cheren spun around. “Fine, you think you’re ready, I’ll show you.” He leapt over the barrier separating them and stalked to his position on the arena.

James smiled to himself. He knew that only one thing would get Cheren to fight him, and that was saying the magic word; coward.

The announcer gave a quizzical look to Cheren, who nodded curtly, before making his way to the middle of the arena. James hurried back to his position.

“This will be a battle between Cheren, the Leader of Aspertia City Gym, and James from Nuvema Town. When both parties are ready, commence the battle.”

The announcer stepped out of the arena and stood to the side. Cheren wasted no time whipping out his first Pokéball and tossing it straight into the air. His Patrat landed on its feet with grace.

James pulled a Pokéball from his waistband and gave it a quick kiss before throwing it. His Purrloin landed close to Patrat, softly purring its name.

“Patrat, use Work Up!” Cheren called without hesitation.

“Fury Swipes, Purrloin!” James ordered. Purrloin danced forward, swiping at Patrat with her sharp claws three times before Patrat was able to dodge backwards. James calculated that he had taken out around one sixth of its health.

Cheren chuckled. “Weak… Patrat, keep using Work Up.”

“Scratch attack!” Purrloin moved forward again, but this time Patrat was too fast. He dodged out of her way as her claws were swiping at him.

“One more Work Up, Patrat.”

“Try scratch again!” This time it hit. Purrloin scratched Patrat across his face, leaving him with only a third of his health

“Now Patrat, use Tackle!”

Patrat charged at Purrloin at full speed. Purrloin tried to dodge, but was hit on her hide with the force of a lead pipe. Purrloin went rolling across the arena, winded.

“Purrloin are you okay?” James called. Purrloin slowly got to her feet and meowed. She had been taken down to about one tenth of health “Good, hit him with another fury swipes!”

This time, Purrloin was able to hit Patrat four times. He was able to hold on with one hit point.

“He’s weak Purrloin, just hold on.”

“It’s no use, James. Patrat, one more tackle should do it.”

Patrat ran at Purrloin, who was too weak to dodge. She was hit again at full force, and this time wasn’t able to get up.

“Patrat is the winner!” the announcer called.

James called Purrloin back into her Pokéball. “Doesn’t matter!” he called. “I was just using her first so I could save the best for last. Go, Oshawott!”

James threw his second Pokéball in the air. His Oshawott did a mid-air somersault before landing next to the tired Patrat.

“Finish it off with a Tackle, Oshawott!”

Oshawott slammed its body into Patrat’s, who immediately collapsed.

The announcer held out his arm to James “The winner is Oshawott!”

Cheren smirked at James. “This means nothing. Now face my Lillipup!”

He tossed his Pokéball into the air, and Lillipup popped out barking happily.

“Lillipup, use Work Up!”

“Your strategy is stale,” James called across the arena to Cheren. “Oshawott, use Water Gun.”

Oshawott sent a small jet of water at Lillipup. It hit him on the chest, taking out what James assumed to be a bit more than a third of his health.

“Your Oshawott is strong, but I can risk another turn. Work Up again.”

James knew that Oshawott was still weak from its last battle with Serena, and wouldn’t be able to survive a boosted attack from Lillipup.

“You might be onto something, brother. Oshawott, use Focus Energy!”

Oshawott stood still, focusing on Lillipup, finding the best spot to hit him.

“Lillipup use tackle!”

Lillipup ran at Oshawott, but he was able to dodge just in time.

“Oshawott, water gun!”

Again a jet of water was sent at Lillipup, this time at its hind legs. A critical hit! Lillipup collapsed.

“No!” Cheren called. “Lillipup no! Get up!”

But Lillipup had run out of hit points. The announcer held his arm up to James again.

“Lillipup is unable to battle. The challenger, James from Nuvema Town, is the winner!”

Cheren fell to his knees in disbelief. The announcer stood around awkwardly, not knowing what to do. James called back Oshawott before making his way over to the other side of the arena. He silently placed a hand on Cheren’s shoulder.

“How did you do it?” Cheren asked. “You shouldn’t have won… You just got lucky.”

“But stuff like that happens all the time,” James answered confidently. “Critical hits, missing and dodging, switching out. There are so many things that can affect a battle that are completely out of your control, and happen at random sometimes. That’s what helps make battling fun.”

“Sometimes I think you deserve this gym more than me,” Cheren moped.

“Nah,” James said. “Like you said, I just got lucky. I’m nowhere near strong enough to win as often as you. But one day I will be, then we can have a rematch.”

Cheren looked up at his younger brother and smiled before getting to his feet. “You’re right,” he said, holding out his hand.

James took his hand for a handshake, but noticed that the Basic Badge had just been handed to him.

“Congratulations, here is your first Gym Badge. I look forward to our rematch.”

James nodded and pulled his older brother into a hug.

“Thank you,” he whispered into his older brother’s ear.

“For what?” Cheren whispered back.

“For letting me win.”

[/spoiler]

Word count: 1352 Words
IGN: FrankIero
Edited by FrankIero

this is my first time entering in one of these competitions so go soft on me (lookin @ u grampaaa)

feel free to fix my spelling + grammar or whatever but dont tell me to change my british spelling u silly americans

[spoiler]

“The winner is the challenger, James from Nuvema Town.”

James sighed with relief; he had won. He flashed a smile to the announcer before calling his Oshawott back into its Pokéball.

His opponent Serena, one of the Gym Trainers of Aspertia Gym, called back her fainted Patrat before walking across the arena to where James was standing.

“That was a superb battle,” she said, holding out her hand.

James shook it and nodded. “Thanks, you were really tough.”

“Are you ready for Cheren?” she asked.

James glanced to the side of the arena where Cheren, the current Gym Leader, was sitting in the stands, watching the battle. James nodded.

“He looked impressed,” Serena smiled. “He’ll definitely take you as a challenger.”

“I hope so,” replied James. “I’ve been training for ages for this gym battle.”

“You look so alike,” she said. “The black hair, the glasses. If only you dressed smarter, you’d be twins.”

“Like I’d want to be twins with that guy,” James joked.

Serena giggled and waved before jogging off the arena and leaving through a side door. James stood still, waiting to hear Cheren’s decision. He didn’t see why Cheren wouldn’t let him challenge the gym; he had defeated both of the Gym Trainers after all, but he still felt nervous as Cheren made his way down the stands.

The announcer walked across the arena to meet up with Cheren at the barricade. After a moment of hushed conversation, the announcer made his way back to James.

“Sorry, kid, it’s a no-go.”

James saw red. “Why not? I defeated his stupid Gym Trainers!”

“I know, but Cheren’s the boss and he said no.”

James spun around to Cheren who was walking away with his back to the arena. “Cheren!” he yelled. “Stop being a coward and fight me!”

Cheren paused for a moment, as if considering whether to reply or not, before turning around. “You’re not ready.”

“I got my Pokémon, I trained for weeks, and I beat your Gym Trainers. I’m ready!”

“No,” Cheren shook his head. “I won’t allow it. Come back when you’re older.”

James took a few steps towards the stands. “I’m more than old enough to start getting badges and you know it, now fight me!”

Cheren smiled and shook his head. “Sorry, little brother, but you’re just not ready.” He turned to leave.

“Coward,” James said just loudly enough for Cheren to hear.

“What?”

“You’re a coward! You won’t fight me because you’re scared. You’re scared that I’ll be better than you at being a trainer, and a Gym Leader.”

Cheren spun around. “Fine, you think you’re ready, I’ll show you.” He leapt over the barrier separating them and stalked to his position on the arena.

James smiled to himself. He knew that only one thing would get Cheren to fight him, and that was saying the magic word; coward.

The announcer gave a quizzical look to Cheren, who nodded curtly, before making his way to the middle of the arena. James hurried back to his position.

“This will be a battle between Cheren, the Leader of Aspertia City Gym, and James from Nuvema Town. When both parties are ready, commence the battle.”

The announcer stepped out of the arena and stood to the side. Cheren wasted no time whipping out his first Pokéball and tossing it straight into the air. His Patrat landed on its feet with grace.

James pulled a Pokéball from his waistband and gave it a quick kiss before throwing it. His Purrloin landed close to Patrat, softly purring its name.

“Patrat, use Work Up!” Cheren called without hesitation.

“Fury Swipes, Purrloin!” James ordered. Purrloin danced forward, swiping at Patrat with her sharp claws three times before Patrat was able to dodge backwards. James calculated that he had taken out around one sixth of its health.

Cheren chuckled. “Weak… Patrat, keep using Work Up.”

“Scratch attack!” Purrloin moved forward again, but this time Patrat was too fast. He dodged out of her way as her claws were swiping at him.

“One more Work Up, Patrat.”

“Try scratch again!” This time it hit. Purrloin scratched Patrat across his face, leaving him with only a third of his health

“Now Patrat, use Tackle!”

Patrat charged at Purrloin at full speed. Purrloin tried to dodge, but was hit on her hide with the force of a lead pipe. Purrloin went rolling across the arena, winded.

“Purrloin are you okay?” James called. Purrloin slowly got to her feet and meowed. She had been taken down to about one tenth of health “Good, hit him with another fury swipes!”

This time, Purrloin was able to hit Patrat four times. He was able to hold on with one hit point.

“He’s weak Purrloin, just hold on.”

“It’s no use, James. Patrat, one more tackle should do it.”

Patrat ran at Purrloin, who was too weak to dodge. She was hit again at full force, and this time wasn’t able to get up.

“Patrat is the winner!” the announcer called.

James called Purrloin back into her Pokéball. “Doesn’t matter!” he called. “I was just using her first so I could save the best for last. Go, Oshawott!”

James threw his second Pokéball in the air. His Oshawott did a mid-air somersault before landing next to the tired Patrat.

“Finish it off with a Tackle, Oshawott!”

Oshawott slammed its body into Patrat’s, who immediately collapsed.

The announcer held out his arm to James “The winner is Oshawott!”

Cheren smirked at James. “This means nothing. Now face my Lillipup!”

He tossed his Pokéball into the air, and Lillipup popped out barking happily.

“Lillipup, use Work Up!”

“Your strategy is stale,” James called across the arena to Cheren. “Oshawott, use Water Gun.”

Oshawott sent a small jet of water at Lillipup. It hit him on the chest, taking out what James assumed to be a bit more than a third of his health.

“Your Oshawott is strong, but I can risk another turn. Work Up again.”

James knew that Oshawott was still weak from its last battle with Serena, and wouldn’t be able to survive a boosted attack from Lillipup.

“You might be onto something, brother. Oshawott, use Focus Energy!”

Oshawott stood still, focusing on Lillipup, finding the best spot to hit him.

“Lillipup use tackle!”

Lillipup ran at Oshawott, but he was able to dodge just in time.

“Oshawott, water gun!”

Again a jet of water was sent at Lillipup, this time at its hind legs. A critical hit! Lillipup collapsed.

“No!” Cheren called. “Lillipup no! Get up!”

But Lillipup had run out of hit points. The announcer held his arm up to James again.

“Lillipup is unable to battle. The challenger, James from Nuvema Town, is the winner!”

Cheren fell to his knees in disbelief. The announcer stood around awkwardly, not knowing what to do. James called back Oshawott before making his way over to the other side of the arena. He silently placed a hand on Cheren’s shoulder.

“How did you do it?” Cheren asked. “You shouldn’t have won… You just got lucky.”

“But stuff like that happens all the time,” James answered confidently. “Critical hits, missing and dodging, switching out. There are so many things that can affect a battle that are completely out of your control, and happen at random sometimes. That’s what helps make battling fun.”

“Sometimes I think you deserve this gym more than me,” Cheren moped.

“Nah,” James said. “Like you said, I just got lucky. I’m nowhere near strong enough to win as often as you. But one day I will be, then we can have a rematch.”

Cheren looked up at his younger brother and smiled before getting to his feet. “You’re right,” he said, holding out his hand.

James took his hand for a handshake, but noticed that the Basic Badge had just been handed to him.

“Congratulations, here is your first Gym Badge. I look forward to our rematch.”

James nodded and pulled his older brother into a hug.

“Thank you,” he whispered into his older brother’s ear.

“For what?” Cheren whispered back.

“For letting me win.”

[/spoiler]

Word count: 1352 Words
IGN: FrankIero

Not trying to be mean, but this reminded me of pokemon origins.

Winner goes to losers side and puts hand on their shoulder, then the loser is like "How could you do that? You just got lucky!"

Other than that, good story. :)

Not trying to be mean, but this reminded me of pokemon origins.

Winner goes to losers side and puts hand on their shoulder, then the loser is like "How could you do that? You just got lucky!"

Other than that, good story. :)

damn, i've never watched that before, i just wanted to have cheren say something overly dramatic trying to cover up that he threw the match

rip plagiarism 

Okies, so hi ^_^ as you can see, I am a noob to these forums, still working out how to change profile pic ^_^.

I heard about this competition in game and thought, well why not? Just don't judge me too harshly :3 I don't read the manga, I haven't seen an episode of Pokemon in 8 years or so but that does not mean I don't love pokemon! ;-; I am just unfaithful :D
Anyways, my IGN is Greham and my other name thingy for uhh, idk, the name I type in to get to Greham and my alts is ashliketchum 

This is my story about a young trainer versing Giovanni. Again be gentle ;)

1496 words B)

[spoiler]I was grinning when I walked into the viridian gym and I wouldn’t have believed at that time, as pridefull as I was, that the battle would turn out anything like this, that something like this could ever happen to me.

Who was this elusive gym leader anyway? This Giovanni? He was dressed in a neat black suit, his hair slicked back, a rose tucked neatly into his pocket. Looking almost like a man waiting to be married.
Me? Not so much. Just jeans and a shirt again, my bright red hair barely contained in a tie. 
I had traveled across oceans, across countries, to get here and now it seemed for nothing.

Here I was, in one of the most important fights of my life against Kanto’s 8th gym leader, losing beyond belief, and, apparently, severely under-dressed.

I glared at the leader, feeling that he was enjoying my defeat way too much.
‘Nidoking’ He shouted and my heart dropped. Ponyta was my last hope, but I knew she wouldn’t stand a chance, not against this beast.

How had this old creepy guy demolished my entire team! I gritted my teeth as my subconscious answered for me: Because he’s good, and you’re not good enough. ‘Earthquake.’

His gigantic pokemon seemed to have an evil smile of its own as it braced its knees. The air began to crackle around it, full of energy, of an unreleased raw power.

I swallowed.

‘P…Ponyta! Use flame thrower!’ I cried in a last ditch attempt, clutching onto the barrier in front of me. But even as she opened her mouth, sparks gathering at her lips, I knew it would be too late.

The earth around me began to crack and splinter. I lost my footing, hitting my knee harshly on the ground as I fell.
There was an awful whinny and then a thump my Ponyta followed, feinting in the dust. I hung my head, thinking I would never reach the Indigo league, not with this devil guarding the gates.

‘Ponyta, return.’ I called, holding a ball open.

Nothing happened then.But what happened next horrified me.

Giovanni hadn’t called back his Nidoking, and just watched impassively as the monster lifted my Ponyta from the ground, effortlessly slinging her smooth white body over his shoulders like a sack of potatoes, walking back to his master.

‘What do you think you’re doing?!’ I shouted, my heart thundering. This just wasn’t done, it wasn’t right to interfere with someone else’s Pokémon! The battle was over! ‘Return ponyta!’ I called again frantically, holding up the pokeball. But she didn’t move, remaining listless and unmoving across her massive captor’s shoulders.

‘Do you know why you lost?’ Giovanni asked calmly and I blinked. Was he just going to ignore what was going on here? His Pokémon was out of control!

‘What is wrong with you?!’ I snapped ‘Call back your Nidoking!’

‘I don’t think you did anything wrong in particular, you and your Pokémon just need time to grow.’ He scratched his smooth chin in thought ‘You know, I could help you become a stronger trainer, if you joined my group.’

‘You’re insane.’ I snarled running forward onto the battlefield, leaping over the rubble and singed earth. I had to save my Ponyta!

‘I wouldn’t do that if I was you’ He laughed as I charged at the towering nidoking, gripping it around the middle and trying to pull it down, to knock it over. But I may as well have tried to dance with a brick wall.
The monster knocked me aside with a great purple arm and I sprawled across the ground, shocked.

Pokemon weren’t meant to hurt people! It was beyond illegal, it was just not done. Only the worst thieves and criminals would resort to attacking a defenseless trainer, not gym leaders!

‘Don’t take it personally, I’m a collector of rare Pokémon you see, but…. Hmm’ He paused, and I looked up at him, holding onto my side where the Nidoking had struck. ‘My offer still stands, I’ll even let you keep your little Pokémon if you join my Team Rocket, it would be a pity to let such a talent go.’

‘Team Rocket?!’ I laughed bitterly ‘That’s your group? You mean those crooks who go around acting like they’re a new world order? With their terrifying Zubats and Rattatas. You work with those noobs yet you call yourself a gym leader.’ I spat, and finally, his grin disappeared.

‘You don’t understand now, but you’ll see. Team Rocket is a name to fear, to respect. One day we will control the world so join me or die.’

‘I’m not afraid of you.’ I held my head up high, knowing I sounded ridiculous, fallen on the ground as I was, trying not to cry from helplessness as my Ponyta was carried further and further away in long lumbering steps.

Giovanni shook his head, not looking respectful like I had hoped, more like disappointed.
‘If you insist’ He nodded ‘I guess there’s no helping it, knowing as much as you do.’

I was out of usable Pokémon, so the next words he uttered, chilled me to the bone:
‘I choose you, Kangaskhan.’

This beast was smaller than Giovani’s last Pokémon, but it seemed taller than a house now it was looming over me.
Even though its stance was aggressive, its gaze seemed apologetic.

Did the beast know how wrong it was for Pokémon to harm trainers? Was this Kangaskhan just like me? Helpless against the will of this black hearted Giovanni?

‘Bite, Kangaskhan.’ I heard the click of expensive shoes as Giovanni turned his back.

How cowardly.

As the Pokémon locked its focus on me and I braced myself, thinking I really was naive.

I was so sure I would win, that I was undefeatable. But it was all too clear as the beast lumbered towards me, that I was only human.

I didn’t close my eyes, just staring at my impending doom. I didn’t try to run and I didn’t even flinch as the beast opened its maw, revealing a mouth full of big, white, sharp teeth, all inches away from my nose…

Suddenly a strong voice rang out in the gym, a confident command from a stranger.

‘PIKACHU USE THUNDERBOLT!’

A dagger of electricity shuddered through the air from him, zipping around me only to strike down the advancing Kangaskhan. The large Pokémon fell to the earth, seeming almost relieved as it feinted a moment later.

What kind of Pikachu could one hit KO a Kangaskhan?

I took a breath that I hadn't realized I'd been holding onto, turning to see my savior.

The trainer at the door was not what you would call exceptional. Just a boy really. He wore an old style back pack and a cap. There was Pikachu at his feet, still crackling with electricity.

Though his hat covered half of his face I could see his mouth was set in a grim line.

The boy walked forward slowly and before I could even think twice I ran over to him, clutching onto his arm like a lifesaver. I must have looked like an idiot just silently gawping at him. How could I tell him how thankful I was?

‘Are you alright?’ He asked.

Giovanni was watching us closely, thoughtfully.

‘Y…Yeah.’ I breathed but then shook my head, coming back to my senses ‘But he has my Ponyta! He stole it, he’ll take your Pokémon too, and we have to get out of here while…!’

‘Hey, it will be ok.’ He laughed, smiling broadly, barring me from making a run to the doors ‘I’m going to beat him, we’ll get your Pokémon back and he’s not going to hurt anyone else again. What’s your name?’

‘Flannery.’ I replied, feeling a bit awestruck, he promised all this casually like heroics were an everyday thing for him. Who was this kid?

I thought he was about to introduce himself too but Giovanni interrupted.

‘I remember now!’ He exclaimed, clicking his fingers ‘you’re that kid from Silph co! How irritating! Go Rhydon!’

With another flash a new rocky monster appeared on the field.
The unknown trainer grinned mischievously and I could tell this battle would be about more than badges for him, it would be about justice and pride.

We left the gym together, the doors bolting shut behind us and the boy laughed pleasantly, flipping his new green badge over between his fingers.
‘So you’re off to the indigo league then, I suppose?’ I sighed, my gaze lingering on the new badge. He just nodded, tucking the bright metal into his pocket so I couldn’t longingly stare at it anymore.

‘What about you?’ He asked and I sighed again, flopping down across ponyta’s back.

‘Maybe it’s time for me to go home’ I muttered ‘maybe I was never meant to be a trainer, moving around, having bad travelling hair.’

‘Maybe you could become a gym leader.’

‘Maybe’ I shrugged.[/spoiler]

Edited by Greham

Here is my entry..

WARNING: Be prepared for a wall of text..might exceed ur destop screen...

[spoiler]

Ash:Twinkle Twinkle Little Star Lets Catch this MagiKarp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Magikarp:*Splash*

Magikarp splash away from battle..

:'(

16 words

:P

[/spoiler]

Good Luck to everyone...

~MoHawk.

Edited by Retricus

Here is my entry..

WARNING: Be prepared for a wall of text..might exceed ur destop screen...

[spoiler]

Ash:Twinkle Twinkle Little Star Lets Catch this MagiKarp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Magikarp:*Splash*

Magikarp splash away from battle..

:'(

16 words

:P

[/spoiler]

Good Luck to everyone...

~MoHawk.

Stop trying folks we have a winner.

Well, I guess I should try! :)

Words: 872

[spoiler]I walked through Veilstone city, ready to get my third badge in the Sinnoh region. The map says that the Veilstone city gym is right here, so I open the doors and see a teenage girl. The girl has pink side-spikes for the hair, with a bandage on her nose. She wore a blue top and grey pants, along with pink bracelets. "Hello, I'm guessing you'd like to challenge the Veilstone gym leader, Maylene?" The girl asked.

"Yeah, where is she, do you know?" I asked, as I took off my wrist-bands.

"Well of course! Maylene would be me. The battle rules are simple," Maylene said, "This battle will be a three on three battle, only the challenger may substitute Pokemon, and no using weapons." She finished.

"I came from Hoenn, so is it okay for me to use my Hoenn Pokemon?" I asked, hoping for a yes. Maylene thought for a second and decided that I could use Pokemon from Hoenn, but she'll go harder on me.

"Go, Meditite!" Maylene cried, throwing a Pokeball down to the ground.

"Go, Swellow!" I said, as I threw my red and white Pokeball up into the air and saw the flash of white light, forming into the shape of Swellow.

Maylene had her eyes on Swellow, making sure it didn't try to sneak attack. Blitz the challenger, was staring at Meditite. "Meditite, thunder punch!" Maylene commanded, Meditite swinging it's arm to form an electric fist. "Swellow, evade the thunder punch and go for a gust! Also, don't get too close." I order, making sure that the thunder punch didn't hit Swellow. Swellow flies up and uses gust on the Meditite, keeping his distance. "Meditite, stand your ground!" Maylene cried.

Meditite was still being blown away but it was slower this time. "Swellow, stop using gust or it'll tire you out." Blitz advised. Swellow stopped using gust but was breathing heavily. "Thunder punch!" 

"Wing attack!"

"Ice punch!"

"Gust!"

"Thunder punch!"

Blitz and Maylene battled hard, but a final thunder punch knocked out Swellow. Meditite was skipping every second breath. "Return Swellow, you did your best..." Blitz said.

"Go, Lombre!" Blitz shouted, throwing another Pokeball down. A green Pokemon with red claws had appeared, looking a little tired but is actually pumped up. Maylene was confused with this choice and also worried. Meditite couldn't counter too well because it only had the elemental punches and mach punch. "Lombre, use water gun to finish off Meditite." Blitz ordered, as Lombre used water gun and sent a stream of water to Meditite. Meditite wasn't ready to take this hit, so Meditite had fainted to the attack. "Machoke, let's go!" Maylene called out, throwing a Pokeball.

"Lombre, sneak attack with leech seed." Blitz said quietly, so that Maylene didn't hear. Lombre speeded across the battle field and spat out a seed that hit Machoke's foot. Luckily for Blitz, Maylene hadn't noticed. "Machoke, use mega punch!" Maylene cried, as Machoke had gone for the normal type mega punch. Lombre was hit with the mega punch, but regained health with the leech seed. "Lombre, dig!" Blitz called out to Lombre, as Lombre jumped up and dug down. 

Machoke was looking around, and got sapped of it's energy. Lombre came out of the ground a smacked Machoke too hard this time. Lombre was tired from the attacks and Machoke was near fainted. "Machoke, use the rest of your energy to knock out Lombre!" Maylene commanded. Machoke charged up and hit Lombre with a thunder punch, also knocking out Machoke.

"Return Lombre, go Blaziken!" Blitz called out.

"Return Machoke, go Lucario!" Maylene cried. 

Blaziken and Lucario were standing in-front of eachother, ready to battle. "Okay Lucario, mega evolve by the power of my heart!" Maylene shouted, pointing the mega ring at Lucario.

"Blaziken, mega evolve by the spirit of truth!" Blitz cried out, also pointing his mega ring at Blaziken. The two Pokemon mega evolved and were radiating a red aura. "Blaziken, blaze kick!" Blitz shouted.

"Lucario, bone rush!" Maylene shouted. Lucario drew out a bone staff from the ground and had hit the Blaziken's blaze kick. Blaziken and Lucario fought endlessly.

"Blaze kick!" Blitz called

"Bone rush!" Maylene cried

"Sky Uppercut!" Blitz commanded.

"Close combat!" Maylene shouted.

The two Pokemon were tired out. The next move would decide it all. Blaziken's speed boost made it faster than ever. Maylene decided to make one last attempt.

"Lucario, finish it off with Extreme Speed!"

"Blaziken, finish it off with Fire Punch!" 

Blitz and Maylene saw the two Pokemon disappear and reappear, back to back. Blaziken fell down and so did Lucario. "Blaziken, get up!!" Blitz calls out.

"Lucario, stand up!" Maylene had been just as disparate. Lucario was getting up, but had fallen down to faint. Blaziken had pushed himself up, trying to maintain his balance. "The challenger, Blitz has won!" The referee called out enthusiastically.  

"You were great, here is the Cobal badge to signify that you have beaten the Veilstone gym. Thank you for the battle, it was really fun!" Maylene had said, returning her Pokemon.

"Thank you, I hope we battle again." Blitz said gracefully. Blitz left the gym in happiness and returned Blaziken, waiting for the next challenge to come...[/spoiler]

IGN: BlitzRival

Edited by BlitzRival

Hi! I want to participate too!

But I have a doubt with the IGN: is it my account in the game, or rather my character's name?

It seems more logical to me that it is the second choice, but if I'm wrong please tell me!

So, here is my IGN: LuluViBritannia.

To understand better my story, here are a few things to know:

- I took the Japanese names for the characters, because I knew/liked them better. So, here is a little recap:

Satoshi= Ash

Hikari= Dawn

Sumomo= Maylene (Veilstone City Gym Leader)

Shinji= Paul

- There are many references to the anime, if you understand them you'll like the story better!

Finally, here is the story (it makes 1493 words):

[spoiler]Satoshi had just come back home. This morning, he was happily eating breakfast with Pikachu, when his mother came in with a bunch of mail. “Honey, there is something for you!” she said. Satoshi and Pikachu were joyful. “Really? Thanks!” he said while his mother gave him a mail. It was from Hikari. Satoshi opened it and started to read it with Pikachu.

“Dear Satoshi,

How are you? I saw you in the Unova League, too bad you lost... But you were so great!

I came back home for a few weeks, I watched you with my mother, and seeing you against a Lucario made me think of the old times! So I decided to visit Sumomo in Veilstone city, since it had been a while. Arriving there, I witnessed something awesome, I figured it would definitely interest you since it is about... battle!

So, I arrived in Veilstone City, and I got to the Pokemon Center. Then, I quickly went to the Gym. The place hasn't changed since you've fought Sumomo! Of course, they repaired the building (do you remember you completely destroyed the roof during your battle?).

There, Sumomo was fighting someone. Her opponent was a cool guy with a red vest and a black jean. Sumomo had Meditita on the field. Her opponent’s Pokemon was a beautiful Pidgeot. The fight seemed close to the end: Meditita would clearly fall. I heard Sumomo yell “Meditita, use Psychic!” Meditita reacted instantly, and hit Pidgeot. It made the bird crash down on the ground. But the challenger didn’t seem worried at all! “Get up and fight back with Aerial Ace!” Sumomo smiled: “It’s our chance! Meditita, use Detect!” Meditita was ready to avoid the Aerial Ace. But Luke screamed “As I planned! Double Team!” The Pidgeot was duplicated, so Meditita had no idea of when to avoid! By instinct, it avoided the first Pidgeot… but it was fake! Meditita also avoided the second one, but the third one, the real Pidgeot, hit it! It was so powerful, Meditita fell down. Sumomo called it back. Then, she saw me. She was surprised, but very happy: “Hikari! It's been a long time!” I answered her questions about my being here, and asked her what was going on. “Luke is competing for the Sinnoh League this year. Excuse-me, I have to end this, but then we'll catch up! You can stay and watch if you want to. Is it all right, Pokemon Ranger?” Surprised, I looked at her opponent, Luke: a Pokemon Ranger? That’s so cool! He looked at me too, and smile. “Well, why not? It's nice having such a cute spectator. Well, let's keep going!” Sumomo approved and sent Machoke. You too fought that Machoke with a bird, remember? So, the fight started again: Luke told his Pidgeot to attack with Brave Bird. Pidgeot quickly attacked its opponent. I heard Sumomo say “Machoke, show Hikari what you’ve learned: Rock Tomb!” and Luke: “Too late! Go!” But he was wrong: Machoke launched its attack right in time: rocks fell from above and hit both Machoke and Pidgeot. Machoke got out of the rocks, revealing a beaten Pidgeot. Sumomo smiled, but then Machoke fell down: Pidgeot had actually touched its target! Luke laughed: “Well, you did some great job, Pidgeot. Come back, you earned some rest!” He pointed Pidgeot with a Pokeball and called it back. Then, he took another ball from his bag. “Pichu, here you go!” He threw his Pokeball in the air, and a cute little Pichu came out. It had a neckless with a grey stone. “Is it an Everstone?” I asked, and Luke said “It's Pichu's call: she didn't want to evolve. She has kind of a “Pichu pride”, that's insane...” Sumomo laughed: “This Pichu seems to have a lot of personality!” She was right: even though Pichu was small, it seemed determined. Sumomo summoned Lucario. While I was sitting down, Luke had Pichu make Agility. Sumomo reacted instantly: “Now, Pichu is still for a second! Lucario, Aura Sphere!” But Luke didn't panic: “Let's give it back: Iron Tale!” In a flash, Pichu turned back and hit the Aura Sphere with his tale: it was so powerful that the shockwave made the Gym shake! The Aura Sphere hit Lucario. I looked at Pichu: it was already gone! I looked for it and finally saw it in the air, right above its opponent. Then I heard Luke say “Go! Iron Tale again!” but Sumomo answered to it: “Metal Claw!” Both of Lucario's hands got metal claws, but it attacked with only one hand. The two moves hit into one another. “Now, use your other hand to hit Pichu!” Sumomo said. Lucario did, and Pichu couldn't react in time. It was hit so hard that it crashed in the roof. Then it fell on the ground. “Are you ok, Pichu?” Luke asked, and Pichu happily answered while getting up. “You're good, Sumomo!” Luke said, and she answered “He he, don't underestimate a Gym Leader! Lucario, Aura Sphere!” Luke fought back: “Pichu, counter it with Thunderbolt!” The two moves hit right in the middle of the field. The ground shook again, the floor even cracked! I looked at Luke: he seemed to be thinking. “Pichu... Are you sure you want to keep it? The stone, it is.” Furious, Pichu turned toward her trainer, yelling at him. “I got it, I got it! Then, another Agility!” Pichu used Agility, increasing its speed again. Sumomo tried again: “Lucario, get close to it and use Force Palm!” Lucario quickly came next to Pichu and tried to hit it. I looked at Sumomo: she was doing the same moves as Lucario. She hasn't changed at all! I looked at the fight again: Pichu had disappeared again, Lucario seemed lost. Luke took the chance: “Volt Tackle!” Lucario turned back, while Sumomo said “Now! Jump and use Force Palm!” Lucario jumped a bit too late: the Volt Tackle hit its leg. But Lucario's Force Palm succeeded in touching Pichu. Because of the shock, Lucario was sent in the air, and Pichu was half buried in the ground. “Pichu, you have to get out of here, NOW!” But it was too late: Sumomo said “Finish it with Bone Crush!” While Lucario was moving, Sumomo was doing the same thing again. She was confident: it was the end of the battle. “Pichu, use Agility one more time and get out of here!” Luke screamed. But it was too late: Lucario hit Pichu. The smoke produced by the shock was preventing us from seeing anything. Even though we couldn't tell what was going on, Luke talked to his Pokemon: “Listen, Pichu! You have to take off that stone! It's not about strength, style, or victory! It's about moving on! About letting the past behind us! Let's let it go... all our past! This is not your evolution: this is OURS! Pichu!” No answer... was it really the end? Suddenly, something came out of the smoke, heading to Luke. Luke caught it: it was the Everstone. He smiled and looked at the field, so did I: Pichu jumped out of the smoke, very hurt but still standing. “Ok, Pichu! Iron Tale!” I heard Luke say, and then Sumomo: “Lucario, avoid it!” Pichu, in the air, prepared its move and headed to Lucario. During his jump, Pichu started to glow: he was evolving! This was such a surprise that Lucario didn't react when the brand new Pikachu hit it with a long powerful Iron Tale. “Well done, Pichu! Sorry, I mean Pikachu!” Luke said, and Pikachu answered. I couldn't help but yell “Amazing!” But Luke and Sumomo were so focused on the fight that they didn't notice me. Lucario and Pikachu were standing in front of one another. The last move would be the last! I heard both the trainers yell “Volt Tackle!” and “Bone Crush!” and then the two Pokemon ran toward their opponent. But suddenly... Lucario stopped moving and fell! It had been paralyzed when it had touched its opponent, because of Pichu's capacity (Static, of course you know it!). Luke's Pikachu kept going, and finally hit Lucario. And that was it: Lucario was defeated!

I have rarely seen such an intense battle, this was crazy! I hadn't felt like that since your fights against Shinji. By the way, I saw his brother, he sends you his congratulations for the Unova League. He told me Shinji is still traveling around the world. He seems to be kinder with his Pokemon, now. Isn't it great?

What about you? What will you do now? I want to know everything, so answer quickly!

Bye!

Hikari

PS: Piplup says he misses Pikachu! “

Satoshi finished to read and talked to Pikachu: “He seems strong, this Luke! This makes me want to train, now! Come on, Pikachu!” Followed by his best friend Pikachu, Satoshi quickly got out of the house… and of course, had forgotten to answer Hikari![/spoiler]

Thanks for reading, feel free to discuss about it!

Little note, you might wanna space out the writing into more paragraphs.

So... this is my first time doing these kinds of things so go ez on me.

The story revolves around a trainer named Manny with his newly-obtained Charmander. And just like every other trainer, he strives to be the very best. So here he is, about to challenge the very first gym in Kanto. But will he succeed? Read on.

Btw, because of a recent boxing hype, decided to name some of the characters after the boxers themselves.

Heck, theres even a reference in there lol.

IGN: Ellismiguel

Word Count: 696 Words

[spoiler]

Arriving from Pallet Town along with his rival, Floyd, a young boy named Manny is headed to the Pewter Gym. His partner, Charmander, whom he had gotten from Prof Oak as his first Pokemon, wondered what it was like to have a battle. He had been doing pretty well in the first few days Richard and he have met, training and having fun along the way. Now he will finally be put to the test, his first gym battle, to determine if he had trained hard enough and bonded with his trainer. He was more than determined to beat Brock.

“Charmander, this is it. We finally arrived. Are you ready?!” Manny had told Charmander.

Charmander nodded eagerly. There, the battles had started.

Now, you should probably know, in order to battle the gym leader, you’ll have to defeat all the trainers who wish to battle him too.

“On the right corner, coming ALL the way from Pallet Town, Manny,” the referee said “On the left, however, is his opponent, the watery lass from Cerulean, Misty.”

“But… what…? She’s a Gym Leader! Aren’t there any rules against this?” Manny whined.

“Nope, now just fight me already, kid, or are you chicken?” Misty taunted.

Enraged, Manny shouted “FINE!”

“You two may now select your Pokemon,” the referee told them.

“Ugh… she’s a water-type Gym Leader, my Charmander is no match for her. Guess I better choose Pika,” Manny thought to himself as he reached for Pika, his Pikachu.

“PIKACHU, I choose you!” he shouted.

“Uh-oh” Misty told herself.

An hour later…

“GG” Manny said as he won.

“Damn, you’re tough for a kid.” Misty replied.

“I let you win this time,” Misty whispered to his ear “You won’t be so lucky next time.”

He fought battle after battle, his Charmander and Pika getting stronger after each battle… finally he can battle Brock, the ROCK-type Gym Leader.

“Finally I can battle you!” Manny shouted with confidence.

“You sound confident, boy. Way too confident actually. Come, lets’ battle.” Brock replied, readying his Pokemon.

Finally, the Battle of the Century [for Manny at least] will be about to start.

“On the left side, our rock-hard gym leader, Brock!” the referee introduced. “On the right corner, is our challenger, Manny!”

“Wait… Rock!? I didn’t know that this was a rock-type gym… I’ll get rekt,” Manny thought to himself. “Pika is no use to him… guess I better go with Charmander.”

“You may now choose your Pokemon. Let the battle… Commence!”

“Ch-Cha-Charmander, I choose you” Manny said with hesitation.

“You scared?” Brock asked “I thought you were a lot tougher. Anyway, Let’s go Onix!”

“Oh no…”

“Onix, use Rock Slide!” Brock commanded.

“NO! Dodge it Charmander!” Manny commanded as Charmander quickly dodged.

“Keep using Rock Slide! He’ll get tired soon.” Brock kept ordering.

“Keep dodging!” ordered Manny.

“Damn, if this goes on, Charmander will faint…”Manny thought “I must find a way to stop Onix.”

Eventually though, as Brock and Manny were expecting, Charmander did get tired.

“Heh-heh, finally Charmander is slowing down. Now Onix, USE DIG!” Brock ordered as Onix quickly burrowed down to the ground.

“NO!” shouted Manny as Onix was headed towards poor Charmander.

Right before Onix had the chance to attack Charmander, something special was happening. Charmander was shining brightly.

He’s evolving!

“Charmander…?” Manny said in awe.

“Char-MELEON!” Manny’s newly evolved Charmeleon shouted.

Little did anyone know, Charmeleon had learnt Metal Claw when he was evolving, and just as Onix reached Charmeleon…

“BAM” Charmeleon used the move and Onix fell to the ground, dazed and fainted.

“Onix, get up!” Brock shouted as Onix was lying lifelessly on the ground.

“Floyd’s Onix has fainted. I think it might have died, I don’t know. Thus, the victory goes to Manny and his powerful Charmeleon!” the referee said as the crowd roared.

“Manny,” Brock told Manny “I had underestimated you. You are a great trainer and you have raised that Charmeleon quite well. You have limitless amounts of potential. As proof of your victory today, I bestow upon you, the Boulder Badge!”

“Wow, thanks… Charmeleon, you were great today. Let’s fulfill our dream, to be the very best, like no one ever was.”

[/spoiler]

Edited by Ellismiguel

Little note, you might wanna space out the writing into more paragraphs.

Thanks ^^, I thought about it, but I decided not to do so. After all, this is a mail, and a mail isn't necessarily structured into a lot of paragraphs (although we might say that a mail isn't often that long lol).

Thanks ^^, I thought about it, but I decided not to do so. After all, this is a mail, and a mail isn't necessarily structured into a lot of paragraphs (although we might say that a mail isn't often that long lol).

That makes sense. You may want to fix the punctuation in some areas too. You accidently spelled tail as "tale" so you could maybe re-read and fix it up. :)

IGN: Gunthug

Word Count: 1496

The Last Gym

[spoiler]

“Josh used Surf!”

Water began to fill the small stadium, converging upon the cowering Nidoqueen. Her body suddenly began to glow red, glitching in and out of existence before being whisked back to her trainer. He was a tall, professional looking man in a suit.

“Josh is hurt by poison!”

The Squirtle named Josh stood  across the stadium, wavering from side to side. The poor creature struggled to keep its eyes open, and a foul purple smoke was emanating from his shell. Behind him stood his trainer, a spritely man by the name of CMJ.

Suddenly, a smirk etched itself onto the evil man’s face, completing his cliché super-villain look.

“Go, Nidoking!”

Out came a purple, armoured mountain of horns, towering over the small turtle.

Nidoking,” screamed Giovanni, “Use Earthquake!”

Helpless to defend himself against the oncoming onslaught, Josh retreated into his shell as the ground broke around him. It was no use, though.

"Squirtle has fainted. CMJ is out of useable Pokemon! CMJ whited out!”

THUMP

Ray’s glass was knocked over, spilling all over the bar. He turned to face the culprit – a gloomy looking man who had just slammed some sort of device down on the bar in anger.

“Hey, c’mon man,” said Ray, examining his shirt and tie for any stains.

“Oh, sorry,” said the culprit. “Hey, Chuck!” he shouted.

“What now, Carter?” replied the bartender, not looking up from the glass he was polishing.

“Pint of Miller, please. Not for me - for my buddy, uhh…” Carter turned to Ray and raised his eyebrows.

“Ray,” said Ray. “Look, you really don’t have t-“

“And you know what Chuck,” Carter interjected wearily, “make it two. Roy doesn’t wanna drink alone, right Roy?”

Chuck rolled his eyes and turned to the tap, grabbing two glasses and filling them to the brim. When he was finished, he slid them both down across the empty bar.

Carter stabbed at the first glass to arrive, raising it quickly and taking a gulp. He let the taste linger for a moment, staring solemnly at a particularly uninteresting flyer for night jazz on the adjacent wall. Slowly, he looked down at the damage from his outburst earlier.

“Looks like the battery pack came off,” offered Ray. “Thanks for the beer, by the way.”

“Happens *hic* all the time,” said Carter, as he slid the plastic part back into place. He clicked a switch on the side of the device, and the screen came to life. The sound of digital music suddenly became audible, filling the small dive bar.

Ray’s eyes strained as he made the face that people make when they’re trying to remember. Suddenly, the light bulb went on.

“Hey, is that Pokemon? Wow, I used to play that when I was a kid. You know, my daughter used to…” Ray’s voice trailed off as he, too, stared solemnly at the night jazz poster.

“Isn’t this an odd place to be playing, though?” asked Ray.

Carter snapped his head to the left, glaring at Ray. “It’s not like I’m bothering anyone here”

They each turned in their barstools, surveying the contents of the cramped bar. In one corner, a ketchup bottle failed to make a sound. A pool table added to its impressive dust collection near the front window. Of all the successful, cutting edge, and most frequently visited bars in St. Louis, this was not one of them.

Turning back, Ray inched his barstool closer to Carter. “So, er, how far are you?”

“Giovanni.” Carter’s brow furrowed as soon as he uttered the name. He slammed his fists down on the bar again. “God, I hate that guy. I just…I can’t beat him.” 

Carter opened the save file which showed 7 badges but just 1 pokemon. He instantly confronted Giovanni, and the gym battle commenced. Shooting in from the left side of the screen was a level 39 Squirtle named Josh.

“Wait,” said Ray, confused. “Why haven’t you evolved that Squirtle?”

Carter’s fists clenched tighter around the device, his face reddening.

“Are you listening? You have to evolve Squirtle into Wartortle, and then Blastoise.”

Muttering unintelligibly under his breath, Carter turned his shoulder to Ray and continued battling, ignoring his advice. Ray shrugged and returned to his drink, his mind drifting momentarily to the prospect of late night jazz. However, his peaceful train of thought was again halted by a thump, this one even louder than the last.

Ray spun as Carter reached for the fallen gameboy, ready to send it flying across the empty bar towards one of the walls. Grasping for Carter’s throwing arm, Ray managed only to knock the device out of his hands.

“What the hell, man?!” exclaimed Ray. “Chill out – Like I said, you just gotta evolve your Squir-“

"SHUT UP!"

Tears were streaming down Carter’s face as he turned towards Ray, his eyes bloodshot and heavy with grief. Carter jerked his arm out of Ray’s grasp, stumbling back from the barstools.

“You don’t think I KNOW how to evolve a pokemon? You don’t think I WANT him to evolve? To grow up? To fulfill his potential?!”

“That’s what they’re supposed to do. They’re supposed to grow, and evolve. But no, that would be fair. Well guess what? Life isn’t fair!” Ray and the Bartender stared on in stunned silence as Carter continued his outburst.

“One day everything’s fine, and the next, you’re entire world falls apart. You blink your damned eyes, and it’s…it’s gone. He…“

Suddenly, Carter froze. Still panting, he wiped the tears from his face, stalked towards the door, and jerked it open. Rain poured out on the cobblestones, but Carter didn’t care – he strode solemnly into the downpour as the door eased shut behind him.

In his wake, a thick silence hung in the air. Slowly, Ray bent over and picked up the damaged Gameboy at his feet. A sole piece of tape adorned the bottom. It read “Josh’s Gameboy.” The pieces clicked in Ray’s mind. He ran to the exit, and out into the rain.

There, just a few paces away from the door, stood Carter. At first glance, he looked like a statute, back turned to Ray as the raindrops bounced off him defiantly.

“Josh…your son?” asked Ray.

“He was 12,” Carter whispered. “He was so excited when I bought him that Gameboy. Never got a chance to play it, though.” 

“Listen…” Ray started, but Carter whirled around angrily, interrupting him.

“Save it, man. What could you possibly know about m-“

“I lost my daughter, too.”

Carter’s jaw dropped.

“Two years ago, but it still feels like yesterday. She was only 9, Carter. And I felt like I’d never get through it. I couldn’t do it alone. And by the looks of it, neither can you.”

Slowly, Ray approached Carter in the rain until they were standing face to face. Suddenly, Carter broke down, falling forwards into Ray’s chest. He sobbed several times, before Ray grasped him firmly and stood him back up.

“Let me give you my card.” Ray reached into his pocket for it, handing it over along with the Gameboy.

“What would Josh want, Carter? Would he want you drowning yourself here at the pub every night? Fighting a battle you know you’ll lose? You have to move forward, my friend.” Hands still shaking, Carter grasped the Gameboy and quickly stashed it in his pockets, away from the rain.

Turning in the drizzle, Ray made his way back to the pub. Carter watched him return and briefly considered following him, maybe grabbing one last drink. He took one step but stopped, looking down at Ray’s card one more time.

Ray Epstein

Carter turned the card over in his left hand a few times, leaning back in his black desk chair. He set the card down on his desk and picked up a ceramic mug, taking a cautious sip. His mind drifted for a moment, though it quickly snapped back to the task at hand. Right, he thought, let’s do this.

Reaching forward, Carter grabbed the backless red Gameboy, the digital music amplifying as it got closer to his ears.

“Go, Nidoking!”

“Josh used Hydro Pump! It’s super effective!”

“Nidoking Fainted! Giovanni has sent out Rhydon!”

A smile flickered onto Carter’s face as he orchestrated the battle. On one side sat Giovanni’s final pokemon. On the other sat Josh, now a level 55 Blastoise.

“Josh used Hydro Pump! His attack missed!”

“WHAT?!” exclaimed Carter, resisting the urge to send the Gameboy to its untimely death through the nearby open window in his office.

“Rhydon used Fissure! His attack missed!”

Sigh.

“Josh used Hydro Pump! It’s super effective!”

“Rhydon Fainted!”

Carter smiled, staring at the small screen for a long time. Then, he clicked the Gameboy off, opened the top right drawer of his desk, and stashed it inside. Picking up Ray’s card again, he dialed the number on the front.

“Hey Ray, it’s Carter. Wanna grab some lunch?”

[/spoiler]

Edited by Gunthug