[Storyline Guide] Hoenn complete walkthrough & Hidden item Guide

RysPicz

fuck im so baked i'll update it tommorow

Well shit I swear. Most of smartphones and laptops, computers should have a breathalyser that cuts off internet access while drunk or baked.

The whole guide should be completed today (except for the first part with hotlinks to hidden items- this has to wait :( )

Disregard this, laptop overheated and 8 hours I've sacrificed to write all down went to shit.

Something REALLY does not want me to complete that guide.

Edited by RysPicz
  • 2 weeks later...

Just wondering, in your opinion, is it worth Alt running Hoenn for profit? Or is it better to just do Kanto over and over?

Profit-wise, Hoenn looks much better. 2 everstones, 2 of each shards, 10 (not 9 like in Kanto) PP ups, more TMs (notably: tbolt, 2x Return, Ice Beam), 16 heart scales (!) and much more trainers worth battling. Time-wise it looks like Hoenn is much longer but I haven't done an altrun through Hoenn itself, without making a lot of breaks or doing something in between of it (like, um, writing down the guide) so I cannot give estimated time of the whole alt.

[spoiler]yet[/spoiler]

Profit-wise, Hoenn looks much better. 2 everstones, 2 of each shards, 10 (not 9 like in Kanto) PP ups, more TMs (notably: tbolt, 2x Return, Ice Beam), 16 heart scales (!) and much more trainers worth battling. Time-wise it looks like Hoenn is much longer but I haven't done an altrun through Hoenn itself, without making a lot of breaks or doing something in between of it (like, um, writing down the guide) so I cannot give estimated time of the whole alt.

[spoiler]yet[/spoiler]

Ok, ok.. I can wait.

Rusturf tunnel (part 2)

Key items: HM04
Items: Max Ether

Spoiler 
After entering the , defeat the hiker north of you, and follow the north path. Collect Max Ether and shatter the boulders to collect HM04. Now follow the west path to end on route 116 and collect HP UP and hidden Blackglasses 3-4 steps left from the guy (I miss the screenshot here). Go back the tunnel now, into Verdanturf town once more, through Route 117 into Mauville and from there, head north into Route 111.

60bdfda3cb2297600b01b6fd822029ee.png

Guess what?

Guide is finished

I will add screenshots to the respective sections and count the spoils later on, needa prepare for the UU official

EDIT:

Again, HUGE thanks to RacheLucario for the invaluable post with locations of hidden items. This helped me a hugeload!

EDIT2: Credits also to SirVector and Bishav for help :)

Edited by RysPicz

14.06.2015 Update

*Initial guide is completed. It still requires some adjustments but it's ready to use.

*Spoils section is finished.

*Hidden items locations (screenshots) section finished.

Guide is ready to go into main page of Guide Tavern.

COLLECTING SHIT
Key items: lol
Items: Read on the respective routes
[spoiler]First fly to Littleroot and collect Amulet Coin from mum if you haven't done this when you were in Petalburg. Fly to Mauville and go north, then surf west to grab a HP Up. Fly to Rustboro and go south to Route 104, surf through water and take the PP Up. Go to Rustboro again and go north, up to Route 115, avoiding the location you seen before (keep surfing). Kill the running gril and running black belt and then avoid all the other trainers and get the Heal Powder. Then go right and up to get a valuable TM01. Go up the slope and follow the path to south to take Iron. Fly to Dewford and go into Granite cave. Go down the ladder and turn on the light with Flash. Go up the first slope you find and take the last ladder to collect Rare candy and a hidden Everstone in here. Go back, down the ladder you passed earlier and you'll get a Repel. Use dig to get out. Fly to Fallarbor. Go to house on south, next to Crater and talk with prof to get TM27. Go out and head right left to find a waterfall- climb it, and grab a Rare Candy. Go to Mauville and exchange the bike. Head to Forftree, then south-west to Route 119. Go through familiar route and climb up the waterfall. You'll get an Antidote and Rare Candy. Now fly to Lavaridge, we need to loot Fiery Path. Just follow the path on the left to get Fire Stone and Toxic TM. Now, it's time for bigger locations. Fly to Mossdeep.[/spoiler]

Might want to correct this for head LEFT.

I've been going through hoenn using this guide and pkmn.net dex maps. This guide is very useful, thanks! I'll post some info about my first run soon.

PRESENTING,

Hoenn test run # 1

Sweeper: Mudkip
Start lvl: 5
Level at end: 70
Rash (+10% sp. Atk, -10% sp. def)
Ability: torrent
IVs:19 sp. Atk, 2 speed lol, No EV training

Moves: Cost ($)
Waterfall: 0
Strength: 0
Rock Slide > Surf (gym 5 Norman): 0
Mud Shot > Earthquake(lvl. 51) 0

Utility Pokes:
E4 Sweeper: Lvl 100 Starmie (Surf, psychic, Thunderbolt and Icebeam)
HM Slave 1: Dragonite (Strength, Dive, Surf, Fly)
HM Slave 2: Paras (Flash, Cut, Dig, Rock Smash)

Time: (hours) (mins)
Preparation (transfering things, repels): 5mins
Part 1 (Gym 1 to 5 Norman): 6h 0
Part 2 (Gym 6 to 8, fortree, winona, Juan): 8h
Part 3  (Victory Road, E4): 1h
Part 4 (COLLECTING SHIT): 2h
End (Transfering spoils back to main): 15mins
Total time: 17,33 hours
I still haven't figured out what the time splits are gonna be. This is just a baseline.

Profit ($)
After Part 2 - From Trainer Battles:
After Part 2 - Selling most items:
After Part 3 - From Trainer Battles: 459818
After Part 3 - Selling all items (Run TOTAL): 566953

Repels Cost
Repels Used QTY Cost ($)
Repels: 37 14800
Super Repels: 34 25500
Total: 40300

Net Profit: 566953
Repels cost: 40300
Sweeper cost: 0
Profit: 526653
Profit / hour: 30384
Profit / hour assuming 6 hour run: 87775,5
As always, this only assumes cash earned from trainers and from stuff sold directly to pokemart. Sell all those shards, tms, pp ups and you will get a considerable amount. 

Some notes about this Hoenn run:
-Used mudkip with lucky Egg. Switched to amulet coins when trainer payouts started being decent. (was around lvl 20-30 I think).

-Granite cave finished: 1h08 mins

-From Granite Cave to Mauville City: 43 mins

-From Mauville City to Fiery cave: 42 mins

I didn't time myself after that, just used the in game time played on trainer card.

It took me  17 hours lol. Cleared everything, killed pretty much all the trainers. A lot of that time was spent reading the walkthrough and looking at maps with some AFK. I believe once i have the route  memorized, 6 hours total should be doable.

For the first five gyms, there is a lot of running around back and forth. There must be a strategic route to follow and use Abra with teleport to save time (possibly Mauville could serve as a base). I'm gonna try to figure it out.

Difficulty seems lower too. Most of the time I have 10+ levels on the trainers.

Was mostly quite overleveled during the entire game.

Alot of walking and surfing. No notable difficulties.

Trying to determine what the routes/splits are gonna be.

Took alot of time to fight almost all trainers.

God damn, Hoenn is long. So many battles its unbelievable. I did another test run. This time around I used the starter pokemon Torchic. 

The beginning was kinda slow, alot of the foes required at least two hits to kill. Things picked up once he evolved into blaziken.

The run took 9.68 hours and I earned 567K pure cash (including sold items to pokemart). Which gives 53.7k per hour. This is about on par with paydaying. However, you don't get tms, everstones, pp ups and shards while paydaying. hehe.

Anyways, I still have work to do to learn the run and make it more efficient. But it seems like 7-8 hours might be a good run for Hoenn. 6 hours would be ideal, but that seems damn hard to do. Kanto takes less than 5 hours.

Here is some info about the run.

Hoenn test run # 2 - BLAZIKEN
Sweeper: Torchic
Start lvl: 5
Level at end: 68
Rash (+10% sp. Atk, -10% sp. def)
Ability: Blaze
IVs : decent atk and spa. , No EV training

Moves: Cost ($)
Ember > Flamethrower (tm35): 14000
peck > Strength > Sky Uppercut: 0
Double kick: 0
Bulk up (lvl. 31) 0

Utility Pokes:
E4 Sweeper: Lvl 100 Starmie (Surf, psychic, Thunderbolt and Icebeam)
HM Slave 1: Dragonite (Strength, Waterfall, Surf, Fly)
HM Slave 2: Paras (Flash, Cut, Dig, Rock Smash)
Teleport Slave: Abra (Teleport)

Time: (hours) (mins)
Preparation (transfering things, repels): 5
gym 1 (roxanne): 0h 31mins
gym2 (Brawly): 0h 12mins
gym 3 (Wattson): 1h 16mins
gym 4 (Flanary): 1h 10mins
gym 5 (Norman): 0h 20mins
gym 6 (Winona): 0h 54mins
gym 7 (Tate and Liza): 1h 56mins
gym 8 (Juan): 1h 15mins
E4 0h 43
COLLECTING SHIT: 1h 4mins
End (Transfering spoils back to main): 15mins
Total time: 9,68 hours

Profit ($)
Full run - From Trainer Battles: 462992
Trainer Battles + Selling all items (Run TOTAL): 573987

Repels Used QTY Cost ($)
Repels: 25 10000
Super Repels: 40 30000
Total: 40000

Net Profit: 573987
Repels cost: 40000
Sweeper cost: 14000
Profit: 519987
Profit / hour: 53699
Profit / hour assuming 6 hour run: 86664,5

Comments about the run.
-Start: Used Torchic with lucky Egg.

-Beat most of the trainers along the way to rustboro

-Gym 1 (ROXANNE): You don't have to wear that dress toonight. Beat all the trainers to reach lvl 16. Evolved to get double kick. Beat Roxanne  easily after that.

-Gym2  (Brawly) : Skipped all the trainers. Combusken was lvl 19. Beat the Gym leader. Had 1 hp left lol. Seems like double kick deals more damage than peck.

-Rival Battle (Route 110): Went well. Was level 24. Used one X-attack then 2HKO marshtomp and lombre.

-Gym 3 (Wattson): Died a bunch of times. First try was level 27. died. Then I went to level a bit fighting trainers on routes 117 and 111. Beat Wattson at level 34 with ember.  Decided to buy Flamethrower TM at the game corner afterwards. Should have done it before to beat the gym. Completely forgot flamethrower would become redundant with blaze kick learnt at lvl 36. Meh watever.

-Switched out lucky egg for amulet coin when I reached lvl 36 (blaziken evolution). Was on route 112. Total cash ~27k. So I lost 13.5k for not using amulet coin from the start.

-Went to fallarbor town. Make sure the last pokecenter you use is in Mauville, we'll be returning here.

-After Meteor Falls/route 115, used teleport to go back to Mauville.

-Mt. Chimney:  Maxie went well. Put abra in front to let him eat intimidate to the face. Switched in blaziken. Was lvl 40. OHKO everything.

-Gym 4 (Flanary): OHKO all the trainers. lvl. 40.  Against Leader. Used Bulk up once and OHKO everything except torkoal. 

-Teleported back to Mauville after beating lavridge gym. Lol no wish I could have done that, but I was too scared before the gym battle so I used PC in lavaridge. I walked back to Mauville.

-Went back through Vendenturf and route 117, rustoboro..etc. Should have gone back to slateport and taken the ferry to dewford and then gone to petalburg. Not sure which one is faster yet.

-Gym 5 (Norman): OHKO all the trainers. Beat Norman with double kick. OHKOed all pokes except slaking. Slaking took two hits.

-Route 119 : went well

-Rival (route 119): OHKO all pokes after one Bulk up.

-GYM 5 (Winonna): Used 3x bulk up. Was level 49. Then almost 1hko all but alataria.

-Route 120 & 121: Went well.

-Rival Battle (Lilycove City): lvl 52 blaziken. OHKO all 4 pokes.

-Mt. Pyre & route 123: Went well.

-Magma Hideout: Went well.

-Aqua Hideout: Went well.

-GYM 7 Tate & Liz - Beat all the trainers. Level 60 blaziken died. Had to use revive. Psychic hits hard.

-Space Center: Went well.

-Route 127, 128 & Seafloor  cavern: Went well

-Route 129, 130, 131: Went well.

-Gym 8 (Juan): Beat all the trainers. Was level 64. Used one bulk up and OHKO everything with Sky Uppercut.

-Victory Road: Battle against wally went well. Used bulk up once and swept. Then I switched to lvl 100 starmie cuz fuck that, im done.

-E4: LVL.66 blaziken OHKOed all of  sidneys pokemons.

OHKO all of Phoebes pokes will flamethrower. Then just used lvl 100 sweeper.

-COLLECTED SHIT.

The END.

Stuff

That's what I thought man Hoenn takes much work, the benefits I think is that u get Amulet Coin easily 1 more PP UP and shards but other than that I think is better to do Kanto, idk maybe I'm wrong but that's what I can see for the data you've collected

Well I believe with an optimal sweeper (AKA 1HKO all pokes 90% + of the time), and better knowledge of the route the run can be faster. I'm hoping to shave off 2-3 hours. Payout wise, that would make it comparable to Kanto. My Kanto runs yielded about 70-88k/hour. There is money to be had in Hoenn boys and girls.

The is also the the added bonus of shards (which nets approx 200k). Not sure how easy/time consuming they are to sell though. 

Might see if there are some parts that would be worth skipping. The payouts until gym 4ish are kinda low. Might be better to skip through all that to get straight to the money. Just pick up the key items/really valuable items.

The money you get selling garbage to pokemart (IE max revives and potions, etc.) yields approx 100k.

Need to define an optimal route that maximizes reward/time.

Need to define an optimal route that maximizes reward/time.

Yup. I made only 2 runs through Hoenn this far. But from the next week (the week after the one that is coming kek) I will have much more time to play so I will be able to make this guide to perfection :)

1 - How long does a Hoenn run usually takes?

2 - Hoenn runs compared to Kanto runs (money & time)?

3 - Is alt running faster than paydaying in icefall cave on my main?

tanks!

1. I am sorry but for now I am unable to tell that. In a normal tempo I think you should hit like 6.5-7 hours if you are already skilled in altruns and know the paths and so on

2. Hoenn runs are more difficult as there is an insane amount of trainers that keep challenging you, thus it's more time consuming, but it's more rewarding. Profit-to-time wise, I think it would be pretty similar. Probably Hoenn might be more profitable, I see a big potential in here but I myself am not skilled enough to provide an accurate information about it (yet) :(

3. LOL OFC YES. One Kanto run takes around 5-6 hours to a regular player and nets ~1m (that includes all items). Worth it?

1. I am sorry but for now I am unable to tell that. In a normal tempo I think you should hit like 6.5-7 hours if you are already skilled in altruns and know the paths and so on

2. Hoenn runs are more difficult as there is an insane amount of trainers that keep challenging you, thus it's more time consuming, but it's more rewarding. Profit-to-time wise, I think it would be pretty similar. Probably Hoenn might be more profitable, I see a big potential in here but I myself am not skilled enough to provide an accurate information about it (yet) :(

3. LOL OFC YES. One Kanto run takes around 5-6 hours to a regular player and nets ~1m (that includes all items). Worth it?

Thank you for the detailed answers. I see that you have a Kanto walkthrough too and I might want to read that to get 100% from the run. I'll stick to Kanto runs since I am more comfortable with them. :)

Kanto guide was made and has been updated over a year of time (many thanks to all the people who helped me out with that!), so it's almost made under perfection and I'm very proud of it ;) Hoenn guide is a beta version for now, it will be getting updated once in a while just like I did with Kanto, so one day this guide will be more detailed, probably shortened and provided with additional information ^_^

Edited by RysPicz

So doing another run, this is the route I tokk. It seems like this route that maximizes teleport use and avoids most unnecessary walking. Could be further improved.

-From Littleroot go up to route 103, beat rival then teleport back to old dale.

-Go to Rustboro use PC and beat Gym.

-Go to Rustsurf Tunnel, do stuff then teleport back to Rustboro

-Go to Dewford and use PC. Beat Gym then head into Granite Cave. Dig out once you speak with steven then teleport back.

-Go through slateport then mauville. Use PC and get HM06 (Rockasmash).

-Head to Vendenturf town, get HM04 (strength) then teleport back to Mauville.

-Route 111/112/fiery path/route 113/Fallarbor town/route 114/Meteor Falls/route 115: After all that teleport back to Mauville. You can heal up at the old ladys house in route 113?

-To get back to Petalburg, go to slateport and take the old mans boat to dewford city. From Dewford, take the old mans boat back to Petalburg City.

-Beat the Petalburg Gym then teleport back to Mauville.

-Speak with Wattson, do the new Mauville stuff. Teleport back out to Mauville and GG, we are off to get fly in fortree city.

-Walk to Fortree. Tall GRASS.

-In fortree, use the PC. Get the scope and teleport back. Beat the Gym. You can now fly.

Edited by hihats

So doing another run, this is the route I tokk. It seems like this route that maximizes teleport use and avoids most unnecessary walking. Could be further improved.

-From Littleroot go up to route 103, beat rival then teleport back to old dale.
-Go to Rustboro use PC and beat Gym.
-Go to Rustsurf Tunnel, do stuff then teleport back to Rustboro
-Go to Dewford and use PC. Beat Gym then head into Granite Cave. Dig out once you speak with steven then teleport back.
-Go through slateport then mauville. Use PC and get HM06 (Rockasmash).
-Head to Vendenturf town, get HM04 (strength) then teleport back to Mauville.
-Route 111/112/fiery path/route 113/Fallarbor town/route 114/Meteor Falls/route 115: After all that teleport back to Mauville. You can heal up at the old ladys house in route 113?
-To get back to Petalburg, go to slateport and take the old mans boat to dewford city. From Dewford, take the old mans boat back to Petalburg City.
-Beat the Petalburg Gym then teleport back to Mauville.
-Speak with Wattson, do the new Mauville stuff. Teleport back out to Mauville and GG, we are off to get fly in fortree city.
-Walk to Fortree. Tall GRASS.
-In fortree, use the PC. Get the scope and teleport back. Beat the Gym. You can now fly.

So did u run an alt using this already? I would like to see that to compare timing with the last run you posted