Double Battles Viability Thread

1. Move Kingdra to B+. In my opinion it has many weapons, but unfortunately it just doesn't have the hitting power in Doubles to be A+ or even A. I'm speaking mostly on the Dragon Dance set. As for the Rain Dance set, Kingdra will either have to rely on Surf or Hydro Pump as a primary STAB. Both of which are powerful options in the Rain, but unfortunately Surf strikes your teammate and Hydro Pump's accuracy is unreliable. I believe these to be the primary reasons why Kingdra is seeing little usage in doubles and this is why I suggest we move it down to B+.

I'm not a doubles expert but I think it deserves at least A. I used it in 4/5 rounds in yesterdays official with good success each time. I guess people just don't like rain dance teams as they can be easily countered (hidden bracket OP).

Edited by Rendiz
  • 4 weeks later...

lmao

252 SpA Jolteon Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Aerodactyl in Sand: 122-146 (78.7 - 94.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

0 SpA Ludicolo Surf vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Aerodactyl in Sand: 66-78 (42.5 - 50.3%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO

aerodactyl is the bulk god

and so is rhydon

252 SpA Jolteon Hidden Power Ice vs. 188 HP / 0 SpD Rhydon in Sand: 90-106 (44.1 - 51.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

0 SpA Ludicolo Surf vs. 188 HP / 0 SpD Rhydon in Sand: 184-220 (90.1 - 107.8%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO

and for the fun of it

252 SpA Starmie Surf vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Shuckle in Sand: 26-32 (20.6 - 25.3%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery

shuckle is the true god

• 2 months later...

Update: After a long hiatus, this thread has finally been revived and updated with available usage. The last update was performed on July 14, 2015 and we were provided with usage from four doubles tournaments since then. Those tournaments include:

We are currently missing usage from the following events:

Noteworthy changes, Metagross has gone from 63% usage to 70.1% usage in these past four tournaments. Aside from this there hasn't been many other notable changes, aside from Kingdra getting a 3% usage boost and Jolteon jumping up to 27.2% usage.

Typing is pretty OG leaving it with only one weakness and it can ohko the pokemon with dragon moves with ice beam usually (unless opposing kingdra). Requires somewhat of a specific team set up though, requiring turns for rain dance, team mates that can benefit from rain dance, team mates that can take a surf, etc. I wouldn't say its S rank though due to the amount of support it requires and the amount it relies on match up to be effective. For example, I ran ludicolo and blissey and easily got past dual kingdra+ludicolo combo, or others run enough offense to prevent kingdra from setting up rain like the gyarados/manectric teams. 

• 2 weeks later...

Doubles here seems like perfect for a big fan of vgc who started playing vgc on 6th gen, since I can experience the older generation doubles, this is not the same meta that there has been but mix of few of those, still really interesting and I think definitely worth it.

Time to start grinding and breeding for the team I guess.

Love this mentality

clefable to B or B+

excelent support able to protect follow me and helping hand and softboil if it so chooses.

switch rhydon and wak

both are still be but waks lack of steel weakness and lack of 4x effective moves puts it a bit above

drop kanga to rank A or lower its jsut not as effective as one would think fake out for the flinch is good but after turn one you are forced to switcha round and that ends up being detrimental to your tema. its harder to take adantage of its ability and walling capabilities in doubles. hitmontop is better than kanga. better ability, better support moves, beter walling (able ot check/coutner ttar and limit seeral other sweeping threaats with intimidate).

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.