[Discussion] Snorlax (OU)

Snorlax is one of the controversial OU pokemon in PokeMMO, particularly since gaining access to Curse. After reading feedback from players and deliberating amongst ourselves, the OU Tiering Council has decided to test ban Snorlax for one month. Snorlax will not be usable during standard OU matches or in tournaments during April 12th - May 11th.

This was one of the hardest decisions the OU council has had to make. Because Snorlax does not easily satisfy an Uber criterion, a lot of energy was spent debating its effects on the metagame and how it affects the more subjective "quality" of the metagame. Everyone on the OU Tiering Council had a different take on whether Snorlax is healthy for the OU meta or not and the community itself had split opinions. Some of us are conviced without seeing a test that Snorlax should be banned and others are convinced a test won't solve anything because Snorlax isn't particularly unhealthy to begin with. Some of us don't know what is the best option, and because of this, preferred a test.

At the end of the testing period we will make a decision based on player input, our own experiences and observations, and the current state of the metagame. This thread will remain open until we decide to ban Snorlax to Ubers or let it return to OU.

Were there not enough checks and counters to Snorlax? Any steel type with Roar or anything with Haze stopped it easily. I mean, it's not like it boosted your attack and speed so you could spam Taunt.

theres like 0 good haze users and the steels are bad, only skarm can force it out but cannot do anything else to it, and snorlax can always come back and set up again

blissey gonna be beyond overused. Or calm mind will run all over you. Cough espeon gardevoir alakazam.

This is the discuss the meta thread, not stop playing in game and complain thread. Of course people will run blissey at first, the point is to see if it evolves past that. Espeon/gard make nice special walls, espeon can even run reflect to be extremely bulky. Will anyone use that though? Who knows. That's the point of the test

This is the discuss the meta thread, not stop playing in game and complain thread. Of course people will run blissey at first, the point is to see if it evolves past that. Espeon/gard make nice special walls, espeon can even run reflect to be extremely bulky. Will anyone use that though? Who knows. That's the point of the test

Where does it say discuss meta? Pretty sure that says sborlax. But anyways you really think I don't know people won't try it? I know they will but will they be viable? Doubt it. Ludicolo and blissey are more op then both of the ones you listed. And blissey can take calm minds. I don't think ludocolo can take a lot. Could be wrong but blissey is the only thing can stop calm mind or we have calm mind wars. I'll pass but I think this is an extreme waste of time. Next we should just complain about metagross because of the chance of his boosts. Because it looks like that's what earns bans now.

Glad to see this monster put to rest, be it for one month. I hope people will enjoy the Snorlax-less meta a bit more. There are ways to beat calm minders, be it by outspeeding them with banded physical attackers or Toxic Stalling/Pursuiting them with Umbreon or Blissey/Houndoom. Max SDef Ludi can annoy with leech seed.

Bulky attackers can also absorb a +1 hit, while ohko-ing in return.

Really curious how this will turn out, but I love the test-ban.

Were there not enough checks and counters to Snorlax? Any steel type with Roar or anything with Haze stopped it easily. I mean, it's not like it boosted your attack and speed so you could spam Taunt.

+1 0 Atk Snorlax Fire Punch vs. 252 HP / 0+ Def Skarmory: 64-76 (37.2 - 44.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

+1 0 Atk Snorlax Fire Punch vs. 252 HP / 144+ Def Forretress: 116-140 (63.7 - 76.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 0 Atk Snorlax Fire Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Metagross: 74-88 (39.5 - 47%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

That's really all there is to say about that: only one of these pokemon gets Roar and it's also a target for trapping. 

If you read the thread you should get a better feeling for why we decided to do this.

@Everyone else: looking forward to reading your responses!

The only thing I can exactly say is that only with practical evidence throughout this ban month will we actually be clear on an answer; that is the impact that of which affects the meta more unhealthy, the absence of Snorlax or it's presence overall. I'm not sure how easily this change will actually adapt given that the degree of which teams needs to diversify can be considerably slow, so it may or may not need an extension. 

Balanced has always been a weak style in future gens After the spilt.

I am pretty sure you have no idea what you are talking about. In every format I played on showdown, from NU to Ubers and even other formats, the top 10 teams always have a balanced style, some very defensive pokemon, some very offensive, and others for support. Of course, you need to be good to play those in the top...

So after the spont today it seems the meta got more offensive(or we were just bad) because of the number of pokemon who can switch more often on Blissey than Snorlax.

But there's still many tournaments to happen so its a bit early to tell if the meta got better or not.

So after the spont today it seems the meta got more offensive(or we were just bad) because of the number of pokemon who can switch more often on Blissey than Snorlax.

But there's still many tournaments to happen so its a bit early to tell if the meta got better or not.

Were there CMers errywhere