Thou Shalt Becometh Swoll...

Who all has a gym buddy and what are they like ? 

I don't have a gym buddy! I used to go to the gym with people, I had like 4 or 5 close friends that were girls that would go but only one of them was actually as into it as me and she played soccer so she didn't go to the gym as often with me since varsity has their own gym and such. The other girls really just held me back a bit. One of them used to really like to go to the gym with me, and she would even go at 5am before work with me if the gym had to close early that day for whatever reason, which was nice. She quit working out and is now overweight though. 

There's only really one good gym in my area and all of my friends used to go to it (everyone has moved away now, I moved away for a while but now I am back to do school here blah haha) so whenever I went to the gym there would be people there I knew well (guys and girls) and I used to get a lot of good information from a couple of the guys. At the end of the day I don't seem to benefit from a gym buddy as much, I am extremely self motivating, especially because the gym makes me incredibly happy so it's not a struggle to go knowing I will leave with a big smile on my face haha. I recognize that a gym buddy can be super beneficial for most people though! 

I don't have a gym buddy!

That enthusiasm made me chuckle.

Regarding a gym buddy, I had one or two that would follow the same workout plan with me. One doesn't go to the gym anymore though and one is pretty busy so I only see him once in the so much time in the gym. But this was back when I was following bodybuilding workouts. I think having the right gym buddy is extremely beneficial when you are doing body building. Because you will often go to failure and a gym buddy helps squeeze out those last reps. The right gym buddy will also keep you motivated through the week when you are following a hard program on like a 5-day split and will make you keep pushing yourself.

Though now I'm following a 3-day workout plan and you know I only do a few exercises. Because I will be lifting heavy (hopefully soon) but with low reps, I really don't need a gym buddy shouting at me to 'get dat burn'. Especially when doing squats a gym buddy can distract you and a gym buddy will usually help you when you struggle a bit when pushing the weight up. This is what I absolutely don't want. Also when resting I really want to focus on my next set and not do much in between. The only thing I'd need a gym buddy for is the bench, but I can also forgo the safety pins and then when the weight is to much just tilt the bar to one side so the weights fall off. (or you know just call someone to spot for you, but I usually go when there arent much peeps).

tl;dr: I think it depends on what workout plan you are following

Workout buddies are a nice luxury but not a neccesity. I used to exclusively workout with freinds but when I started to get serious about working out, I realized that relying on a buddy to workout or get a full workout wasn't good for me. I used to forgo excersizes that encouraged a spotter like benching, squats, etc if I was alone. However, I workout around 1am most days, so having a consistent gym buddy is out of the question. Most people at the gym are happy to spot you for a few sets... Just make sure to get your workout in, and think of the buddy as a luxury.

I don't have a gym buddy nor do I want to have one.

The way I work out is to focus completely on myself, get in a meditative state during the exercices and be mentally relaxed.

Completely slows down my mind, live in the moment without any stress, and that is (along with the improved aesthetics) why I work out.

As Emlee stated, self-motivation to work out makes it a lot easier to not rely on a gym buddy.

Having a gym buddy would ruin all that, as there'll be a lot of talking etc.

Also if your gym buddy isn't on the same level as you, you'll be switching weights on every machine/bar after each set.

Can't take your time to remain seated after a rough set, as now it's your buddy's turn to lift.

The only time I think of having a gym buddy is when I could use a spotter for Bench Press or Shoulder Press... But after lifting on the same weekdays at the same hours, I've met  with other regulars at those times and can ask them to spot for a set or two if needed.

Gym buddies can be a God send and an obstacle, sometimes at the same time. Last year before I moved away for more school me and a couple bros got into the lift game hard. We motivated each other and made similar progress. During breaks I go back just to lift with my boys and ridicule them on their weeny legs.

TJXD

6'2  155 lbs

Monday: Chest,traps,Shoulders

Tuesday: Arms , Basketball (Bad combo, Do not recommend, I'm in a university programme and have practice)

Wednesday:Core , Plyometrics (Dynamic Box Jumping etc)

Thursday: Basketball 

Friday: Leg day

Saturday: Party

Sunday: Cardio, Basketball.

Supplements: Mass Gainer, Whey Protien

Squat:250 lbs

Bench Press :130 lbs

Im new to weights, just around 4-5 months with them so far, looking for advice on dead lifts, clean jerk weights etc

Goals : Get into better shape for Basketball Performance. 

Edited by TJXD

Who all has a gym buddy and what are they like ? 

I wish I had a gym buddy but now and then a guy I went to school with comes in and we talk and stuff but never work out together on the same things/motivate one another. It gets awkward sometimes when we go for the same weights though lmao. 

I mainly just want someone to take selfies on snapchat with after we own our workout.

LF GYM BUDDY.

and mfw I always pictured TJ as some small indian kid under 5'4.

Edited by Kazooka

I wish I had a gym buddy but now and then a guy I went to school with comes in and we talk and stuff but never work out together on the same things/motivate one another. It gets awkward sometimes when we go for the same weights though lmao. 

I mainly just want someone to take selfies on snapchat with after we own our workout.

LF GYM BUDDY.

Have you considered perhaps asking him if he wants to train with you?

Have you considered perhaps asking him if he wants to train with you?

no lmao, our work schedules are completely opposite so most the time im mid workout before he comes or hes almost done when i get there etc. 

maybe soon ill get one...after i leave my pitiful town of 1000.. more people..more options. hopefully. 

TJXD
6'2  155 lbs

Monday: Chest,traps,Shoulders
Tuesday: Arms , Basketball (Bad combo, Do not recommend, I'm in a university programme and have practice)
Wednesday:Core , Plyometrics (Dynamic Box Jumping etc)
Thursday: Basketball 
Friday: Leg day
Saturday: Party
Sunday: Cardio, Basketball.
Supplements: Mass Gainer, Whey Protien
Squat:250 lbs
Bench Press :130 lbs

Im new to weights, just around 4-5 months with them so far, looking for advice on dead lifts, clean jerk weights etc

Goals : Get into better shape for Basketball Performance.

Sorry am on phone.

Deadlift and cleans are all about technique and proper form. The better you get these down, the further you can take them. Do not keep adding weight when your form or technique suffers from it! You will injure yourself or plateau, or both. Find videos where people demonstrate the techniques and forms. Have someone that knows how to do them well instruct you when you start them out. Alternatively record yourself from the side from time to time and see what you have to improve.

Get rid of mass gainers they are a waste of your money and are often loaded with bad sugars. Start to eat brown rice or even whole grain pasta. Eat more and because you are very active through the week you can shoot for some easy calories now and then (junk food). Goodluck

LF GYM BUDDY.

I volunteer to come take selfies of you etc. hahaha

Also as soon as TJ mentioned he played b ball (a long time ago when we first met) I assumed he was fairly tall! 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.