Thou Shalt Becometh Swoll...

DoubleJ, I have a question regarding losing weight, because I have gained quite a bit in real life, is there a way to lose it other than working out, or is working out the only way? I stopped eating McDonalds because of their sodium and cholesterol, but is there a certain diet that I need to follow?

exercising isnt the only way but it's the BEST way. for dieting, dont eat anything not 100% natural.

srs thou. exercise every day. it'll add decades to your life and could save your life in a emergency. 

Thanks, so what type of work outs do I need to do? Sit ups? Push ups? Running?

Side-note, Fred you have me blocked in game, can you unblock me so that way I can ask about this because this belly of mine is quite annoying.

Thanks, so what type of work outs do I need to do? Sit ups? Push ups? Running?

Side-note, Fred you have me blocked in game, can you unblock me so that way I can ask about this because this belly of mine is quite annoying.

im offline and about to go to sleep but sure i'll unblock you ingame. you were spamming at some tourney once and i dont clear my list often.

as to your question i suggest everything. specific exercises only matter if you're trying to bulk up specific parts of your body but anything that leaves you completely exhausted afterwords works really. push yourself as far as you can go them just a little longer and eats lot of protein and amino acids(what muscles are made of). 

back when i wrestled i ate all shorts of things but i had the lowest body fat % of the entire team just cause i spent the most time exercising.

im offline and about to go to sleep but sure i'll unblock you ingame. you were spamming at some tourney once and i dont clear my list often.

as to your question i suggest everything. specific exercises only matter if you're trying to bulk up specific parts of your body but anything that leaves you completely exhausted afterwords works really. push yourself as far as you can go them just a little longer and eats lot of protein and amino acids(what muscles are made of). 

back when i wrestled i ate all shorts of things but i had the lowest body fat % of the entire team just cause i spent the most time exercising.

Nice choice. Yeah, I am one of those nerdy kids in real life, I never even dated even though a flight attendant did hit on me on the way to New Jersey (she even communicated with me for an hour and gave me a big hug). But, I don't care so much about the sex appeal, I care more about my health and I would like to know what exercises I can do without paying for a Gym Membership.

This is about the shape of my body (thank you McDonalds):161c52e9bc8640e28ad9ea08b6adcb13.png

I would like to lose that annoying front belly. Is there an exercise specifically for that?

Edited by Bestfriendss

You can't burn fat off of a specific area on your body. Crunches won't burn abdominal fat and biceps won't burn arm fat. 

Since you want to improve the shape of your body and your health, you'll need to have a caloric deficit(Burning more calories than you eat/drink). I would highly recommend a gym membership as there are many gyms you can get into for $10/month. However, fitness is 100% achievable without a gym membership. 

Lets work on a simple transformation plan for you.

Diet :

What is your current diet like? Are you eating fast food and drinking soda often? How about Doritos before bed? We can all lower our caloric intake a bit and save some money at the same time.

Workouts :

Do you workout or are you active at all? There are so many ways to get your cardio. Jogging, biking, paintball, basketball, swimming.... The list goes on. Also, building muscle is good for losing fat. Not only will you burn calories while lifting weights (or doing pushups, etc), but the muscle you put on your body will look great and burn calories while you do nothing!

Nice choice. Yeah, I am one of those nerdy kids in real life, I never even dated even though a flight attendant did hit on me on the way to New Jersey (she even communicated with me for an hour and gave me a big hug). But, I don't care so much about the sex appeal, I care more about my health and I would like to know what exercises I can do without paying for a Gym Membership.

This is about the shape of my body (thank you McDonalds):161c52e9bc8640e28ad9ea08b6adcb13.png

I would like to lose that annoying front belly. Is there an exercise specifically for that?

dedication and goal, thats all u need lad... and some pro tips ofc but u know how it goes

You can't burn fat off of a specific area on your body. Crunches won't burn abdominal fat and biceps won't burn arm fat. 

Since you want to improve the shape of your body and your health, you'll need to have a caloric deficit(Burning more calories than you eat/drink). I would highly recommend a gym membership as there are many gyms you can get into for $10/month. However, fitness is 100% achievable without a gym membership. 

Lets work on a simple transformation plan for you.

Diet :

What is your current diet like? Are you eating fast food and drinking soda often? How about Doritos before bed? We can all lower our caloric intake a bit and save some money at the same time.

Workouts :

Do you workout or are you active at all? There are so many ways to get your cardio. Jogging, biking, paintball, basketball, swimming.... The list goes on. Also, building muscle is good for losing fat. Not only will you burn calories while lifting weights (or doing pushups, etc), but the muscle you put on your body will look great and burn calories while you do nothing!

Daily Diet: No MORE McDonalds (going on an "I'm Loving It" strike)! Fast food, it depends, I do generally eat rice or pizza, drink Carnation Breakfast Milks (picture in spoiler), I hate soda because of the tickling sensation of my tongue, I don't eat any Doritos.

[spoiler]e4f7104db3b96687f6738a797081ade6.png[/spoiler]

Workouts: Yes and no, I do run around the small house for errands rather than walking. I try my best to be active and as I am filming interviews for YouTube, I sometimes take my laptop and I start brisk walking around my house in a circular path (My Living Room, Kitchen, and Hallway are all connected in one route). Do I need to go to an actual gym and work out?

dedication and goal, thats all u need lad... and some pro tips ofc but u know how it goes

Thanks, I am trying my best to become fit, hence the reason for all these questions.

Edited by Bestfriendss

Daily Diet: No MORE McDonalds (going on an "I'm Loving It" strike)! Fast food, it depends, I do generally eat rice or pizza, drink Carnation Breakfast Milks (picture in spoiler), I hate soda because of the tickling sensation of my tongue, I don't eat any Doritos.

Workouts: Yes and no, I do run around the small house for errands rather than walking. I try my best to be active and as I am filming interviews for YouTube, I sometimes take my laptop and I start brisk walking around my house in a circular path (My Living Room, Kitchen, and Hallway are all connected in one route). Do I need to go to an actual gym and work out?

Do you mind telling me all your meals and snacks including drinks on a typical day? Be as specific as you can and include the staples of your diet.

And no, you don't need to go to an actual gym. There are certainly ways to workout without a gym. Any exercise that gets your heart rate up will be good for burning fat. I would recommend going for a jog a 3 times a week. If you cant get yourself to jog, find something fun to do. Sports like basketball are great for this. Also, do pushups, pull ups, chin ups, dips, squats, lunges, etc. 

Edited by NaitDawg

These guys all gave you a sound idea of what you need to get after. As the OG Naitdawg said you need to burn more calories than you bring in and develop that deficit. This means you have to be active while eating better and sometimes less. 

Avoid late-night carbs and low-quality foods. As fred said, the closer to natural the better. This is simply because our body is able to rip apart those processed foods too easily. This is because most of the digestion is already done for you (note processed). With this in mind the body is able to absorb more as the food is digested throughout the gut. Eating something closer to a natural substance lessens this and actually improves gut function and motility (think how high fiber diets work).

My advice is to hit a gym and have a 1on1 consult with a trainer about diet. Once you get your diet on lock talk to them again about gradually introducing yourself to some simple exercises. Those two consults should be all you need to get you started.  

gl brah

Also mi amigos, I could use some help myself. I need a real leg regiment as I'm starting to get dem chicken legs. Got any workouts i should be doing( Or doing more often)?

Currently doing weighted lunges and calf extensions twice a week and I'm doing squats about once a week. My calves feel like the weakest part of my body atm. 

Do you mind telling me all your meals and snacks including drinks on a typical day? Be as specific as you can and include the staples of your diet.

And no, you don't need to go to an actual gym. There are certainly ways to workout without a gym. Any exercise that gets your heart rate up will be good for burning fat. I would recommend going for a jog a 3 times a week. If you cant get yourself to jog, find something fun to do. Sports like basketball are great for this. Also, do pushups, pull ups, chin ups, dips, squats, lunges, etc. 

I usually have Success Rice (brown not white) and the pizza, they don't put on the box how many calories it is (because it is locally made).

Success Rice: 150 Calories

Carnation breakfast milk: 150 Calories as well

(thank you Calorie King!)

These guys all gave you a sound idea of what you need to get after. As the OG Naitdawg said you need to burn more calories than you bring in and develop that deficit. This means you have to be active while eating better and sometimes less. 

Avoid late-night carbs and low-quality foods. As fred said, the closer to natural the better. This is simply because our body is able to rip apart those processed foods too easily. This is because most of the digestion is already done for you (note processed). With this in mind the body is able to absorb more as the food is digested throughout the gut. Eating something closer to a natural substance lessens this and actually improves gut function and motility (think how high fiber diets work).

My advice is to hit a gym and have a 1on1 consult with a trainer about diet. Once you get your diet on lock talk to them again about gradually introducing yourself to some simple exercises. Those two consults should be all you need to get you started.  

gl brah

Thanks, but I do want to ask a question, how do you afford a trainer? Are they for free, if not, how much do they cost? I don't have a lot of money, hence the reason why I was eating McDonalds (my 4th or 5th day of being on strike). I do tons of pre-college work which makes me sit in the house. DoubleJ, are you a trainer? Do you know about a diet that has a "McDonalds Budget" without eating at the golden arches, if so, I would to know the way.

Edited by Bestfriendss

A good hustle you can do is walk into the gym and tell someone behind the counter that you've never been there and that you're interested in joining but want to have someone show you around. While they give you a tour ask all the questions you possibly could. Then when the tour is over you never have to look back.

Ask about what workouts you should start with and what kind of food you should start eating (also what to avoid).

I'll be straight with ya too. A sedentary lifestyle plus a carbo rich pizza diet isn't going to help you out much. Sounds like nait had some tips for ya though.

Regarding stretching : I do it after my workout mostly. I am more flexible than the average person naturally and because I used to do yoga everyday/worked at lululemon. I am not as flexible as I was but I can probably get there.

Also regarding weight lose, you can lose weight without working out, but working out is extremely healthy both physically and mentally. If you cannot go to the gym then I would recommend walking/jogging just to get your heart rate up and such. You won't gain much in the way of muscles doing that but it's good for your health! If you want to change your diet reduce sugars and carbs to shed weight quickly. Rely on protein and healthy fats (olive oil, avocado, chicken, etc), don't eat processed sugars like in candy, boxed foods, DONT DRINK JUICE, etc. Reduce potatoe intake if you want to get serious too. Low carb diets aren't easy and should only be temporary but they can help you shed pounds easily. After everything is said and done you need to build a healthy diet though, and that means limiting high carb/calorie foods late at night, drinking lots of water, and not indulging in juice and pop. It's good to treat yourself but consider the calories and the time.

I would still recommend consistent exercise (like at the gym) and a healthy diet (as opposed to low carb) over the above information though. It makes a world of a difference and you would find it fairly quickly to drop a couple pounds and feel healthy.

If all of this is too hard then just consider reducing calories ate shortly before bed, eat whole foods as much as possible and cut pop/juice entirely.

Edited by Emlee

I'd say diet is far more important than exercise when it comes to shedding fat. Just start slow, it's very hard to become "healthy" overnight. Instead of juice, drink water. Instead of pizza 1  night, grill some chicken and veggies. Run around your house 1 week, then around the neighborhood the week after, and then a bit further each week after that. Although you don't need a gym, I do recommend it because paying for something a month is a huge motivation to actually use it.

If you're motivated enough, it's possible to go all out immediately, but most people burn out too quickly and immediately fall back to old habits, if not worse.

Bestfriends, or anyone that wants to lose some bellyfat, if you are really serious about losing weight there are three things you have to consider IMO:

1. Having a specific goal
  2. Exercise
  3. Diet

Having a specific goal:

To many times people go into the gym, or start working out at home without having a clue of what they want to do. Do you want to bulk up? Cut fat? Have more stamina? Gain strength? Consider all of these possibilities and set a measurable goal for yourself. Do not put a timeframe on these goals, because they will only demotivate you when you miss a workout or don't hit your target goal of the week/month because of things happening that are out of your control. Just set a clear goal for yourself that is easily measurable, if you know what you want to do, it's easier to work towards that.

Like if you go into a gym and talk to some people, you'll notice most of them have no idea. They follow some routine for two weeks, see no results and instantly quit because of that. They don't even know what the routine it self works for and what they have to change in their lifestyle to get results. Then after a month or two they come back and do something else whilst complaining about getting no results.

Don't be vague, 'losing fat' is a bad goal. Set a specific goal for yourself so when you actually lose fat you get motivated because you are getting closer to your goal. Don't be vague, but keep in mind to be realistic. If you weight 300 pounds, start small. 'I want to lose 20 pounds'. Ok good, now find out what you have to do to achieve this goal.

Exercise:

If you want to lose fat you are going to have to burn more calories than you take in. It's as simple as that. Some say your diet is important, or some say exercise is more important. I call bull on both and say that: it is the way that you combine these two evenly essential elements, that determines how successful you will be.

You want to lose fat? Okay, well now: choose what type of exercise you want to do. The word 'exercise' in itself already scares a lot of people away, but really when you do just a little and it doesn't even have to be high intensity, than you are already doing great if you combine it with some lifestyle changes. For losing fat I recommend one of these two exercises:

• Follow a 'HIIT' training schedule:

HIIT stands for High Intensity Interval Training and it is in my opinion, by far the most effective method of losing fat. First of all your exercises don't have to take longer than thirty minutes and you really don't have to do them every day. If you want to lose some fat gradually, think long term. This goes together with your lifestyle changes and you goals. Think long term and every small change is going to improve your life little by little.

I recommend finding a HIIT program that gets gradually more intense and requires you to do the exercises 3-4 times a week, you don't need more than that. You can do HIIT by yourself easily, you don't need a gym subscription, you can do it outdoors or in your bedroom. You can skip rope, you can run, you can walk stairs. Whatever you want, just fucking do it.

• Walking

Lol what? Yes. As simple as that. Walking. Get up in the morning, walk. Not that 'I walk from my bedroom to my living room and back for 10 times' bullshit. No, go outside and walk. For an hour just walk, grab your headphones listen to some music or audiobooks or think about some things you have been struggling with etc, it doesn't matter as long as you walk. Get it into your lifestyle, every morning you wake up. Wake up an half our earlier or an hour earlier, start walking. This goes well with my believe of long term results, you'll see incredible changes.

Diet:

Oh no the scary part! Not really, again if you are aiming for long term changes you don't have to change that much. Drink lots and lots of water. Get rid of any soda/pop/sodapop, juice and lemonade in your diet. Stop going to fast food places, but it's okay to cheat once in a while. If you really like fast food, then reward yourself once a month with a nice fast food meal if you've done well. But there is a difference, you could go to the McDonalds and ask for double fries with the fattest burger oh and a diet coke. Or you could eat a somewhat lighter meal with medium fries and a McChicken. Or go for a bit healthier Subway.

Get rid of most processed stuff in your diet. Cookies and chips are bad and I usually don't have them more than once in two weeks. In stead, make fruit smoothies or eat curd, cottage cheese with strawberries whatever. Eat more vegetables. Try to only eat chicken, turkey and fish for meals. Get rid of pork bacon and any red meat. Drink plenty of water so you feel full most of the time.

Also people tend to have fewer meals when they are 'dieting'. Because less meals means less calories and more burning fat right? Well no, when you are eating your body is working to digest it, especially when eating whole foods. So definitely have more meals a day, just make them smaller. Six small meals is usually a good standard.

Lastly, I'd advice you to stay away from exercises like crunches or sit-ups. It has already been said but targeting one specific muscle doesn't mean you are burning fat in that muscle. In fact, your body (in most cases) prioritizes your belly fat LAST. This is why so many people throw in the towel quickly. Your body usually first targets things like your legs and your arms, no matter what kind of exercises you do. So keep doing them and eventually your body will decide that it is time to lose some belly fat too.

But the most important piece of advice I can give anyone regarding losing fat:

FUCKING START DOING 'SOMETHING'

PS: OS sends his regards he is in the gym and apparently it is 'arm day' lol, when will the poor guy learn he doesn't have arms

Edited by ThinkNice

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.