Photo

PokeMMO End Game

Breeding Utility Pokedex Thief Pay Day False Swipe Box Organisation Hunting End Game Synchronize

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#1 Atuan

Atuan
  • Members

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:19 PM

Introduction to the Guide

This is a guide for the period of play post-story. It is intended to help players take advantage of the current point of the game in order to prepare for the future. The guide will contain subjective goals to be met, as well as, objective data that can benefit any beginner or intermediate player. Please check the [update history] to make sure this guide is relevant. The "end game" will be the overall focus of the guide, so if you are looking for item locations, story help, strategy, or miscellaneous PKMMO information then you will not find it here.

What is Considered End Game?

The end game is typically a reference to the content in an MMO that occurs when there are no longer quests, key items or other story-driven content other than repetitively farming. In most RPG style MMOs, this would typically mean reaching a maximum level, stat or item ceiling and then farming content for materials, achievements, equipment, etc.

In PokeMMO, the end game can be achieved upon completing all implemented story content or completing a set amount of pokemon for competition. Although the latter is not typically accomplished without first completing the former, there are those that are not driven by competition and only focus on single player aspects of the game while enjoying the social interactions of the MMO. In this period of time, preparing for the future of the game can benefit you a long way.

Story Team vs Competition Team

Pokemon can be safely grouped into three categories: Player vs Environment(PvE), Player vs Player(PvP), and Passive Utility Pokemon(PuP). It is often helpful to distinguish these differences in your pokemon for box organization. PvE will typically include pokemon that have not necessarily been properly EV'd or IV'd and fill certain roles that you need for wild or non-player character pokemon, such as a pokemon hunter. Conversely, PvP pokemon generally include optimized pokemon that are specifically trained to compete with other trainers. Lastly, PuP are pokemon that are not used for combat purposes and simply fill a passive role, such as an HM slave.

The Ideal Story Team

When building a story team, you typically want to include both PuP and PvE pokemon. The following is a list of essential roles that your team will need to fill in the current stages of the game. These roles can be shared by your team, but space must be kept in mind.

• HM Slave - The HM slave is important for all aspects of PokeMMO, as surfing and cutting will grant you access to restricted areas and NPCs, while Fly gives you fast travel. Dragonite is undoubtedly the best pokemon for this role, as he can learn all necessary HMs. He is not required, however.
  • Pokemon Hunter - Always a necessity, the hunter cripples wild pokemon and applies sleep, or at least paralysis. Controllable damaging moves such as False Swipe, Super Fang, or Leech Seed can be used to safely catch pokemon that are much lower levels. False Swipe, in particular, will deal up to 99% damage in one hit, rendering the pokemon with a maximum of 1hp. Marowak and Scizor make particularly good hunters with their very strong physical attack and damage, despite not having any status impairment. Most grass Pokemon make strong sleepers.
  • Pay Day - When EV training, VS seeking, hunting, or just dicking around, having a Pokemon specifically for pay day pays off a lot. 
  • Follower - This is purely aesthetics, but if you don't particularly like your story Pokemon, you may want to consider carrying around a sprite you do like, such as a shiny.
  • Other roles exist, but there is no implemented support for them and they aren't required.
  • Smeargle can fill any and all roles.

Example Team

• HM Slave - Dragonite
  • Hunter - Breloom (Swipe/Spore)
  • Pay Day - Lv. 100 Meowth
  • Follower - Shiny Gastly

Six to a Team, not a Roster

On the competitive side of things, the end game usually stops once a player feels he has a strong group of six. However, no one ever said stop there. Having backups or alternate builds of the same species can go a long way. Even if you're only competing against your friends, having some tricks up your sleeve can be a lot of fun. The following is an image of my "competition" box. The meta-game is very unstable, at the moment, so they are only grouped into untrained, incomplete implementation, and ready for battle.

CompetitiveBox-1.png

Preparing for: Breeding

*As of 9/23/13, Breeding has been implemented and I am planning to rewrite this section.

Nature Hunting

*As of 9/23/13, we have received word that no overworld abilities that affect the battle initiation RNG will be added to PokeMMO.

Brood Mothers

Brood Mothers are essentially female pokemon of a species you plan to use competitively. Of course, the most useful Pokemon for this role is Ditto. I personally like to label mine.

DittoBox.png

*As of 9/23/13, Breeding has been implemented and I am planning to rewrite this section.

To Exploit or not to Exploit?

*Defunct. Bot detection solved this.

Preparing for: Out of Combat Moves and Abilities

*As of 9/23/13, we have received word that no overworld abilities and moves that affect the battle initiation RNG will be added to PokeMMO.

There are several moves learned by pokemon that can be used outside of combat for some handy features. Examples include the already implemented Dig and Teleport, where the former is used to quickly escape to a cave's entrance and the latter will bring you directly to the last used Poke Center desk. 

*As of 9/23/13, we have received word that no overworld abilities and moves that affect the battle initiation RNG will be added to PokeMMO.

Revisiting the Story Team

There are two moves that will come in very handy on your story team. The first is softboil. Softboil, when used out of combat, will remove some health from your pokemon and give it to another in your party. This comes in handy when you're doing just about anything that would make your pokemon take damage. Miltank's milk drink is identical in use. The second is Sweet Scent. This move, learned by many grass and certain bugs, can be used to instantly engage in combat with a wild pokemon. This helps when in areas with low encounter rates or restricted movement, such as the Safari Zone.*

*As of 9/23/13, we have received word that no overworld moves that affect the battle initiation RNG will be added to PokeMMO.

Breeding Abilities

*As of 9/23/13, Flame Body/Magma Armor has been confirmed to have a unique mechanic in PokeMMO.

Even Butterfree has its Uses

*As of 9/23/13, we have received word that no overworld abilities that affect the battle initiation RNG will be added to PokeMMO.

Hunting Abilities

Meowth, that's right!

*As of 9/23/13, we have received word that Pickup will have a unique implementation and I plan on rewriting this section.

MeowthBox.png

Edited by Atuan, 25 September 2013 - 05:39 AM.

• Anzhelika, PinkFloyd, novato and 31 others like this

#2 Atuan

Atuan
  • Members

Contents - How to Reach the End Game
  • Introduction to Guide
  • Current Goals
    • How to Reach them
    • How to Repeat them
  • Checklist
    • TMs
    • Pokedex
    • Held Item List

#3 Atuan

Atuan
  • Members

Technical Stuff

Disclaimer

I am not responsible for anything in this guide you choose to follow that ends up being taken out of or not implemented at all in the game. This is simply a guide and none of these features (namely out-of-combat abilities and the scaling pickup table) are set in stone to be added. Neither of the mentioned topics were actually in FRLG, but they were in Emerald. Assuming, because of other Gen III+ fixes, the staff will eventually want these changes, this can be a very helpful guide, just do not read too much into it and wait until the end game to start, or you could just be wasting your time.

Credits

• Bulbapedia is an excellent reference source. Particularly so because it lacks suggestive information and allows the player to devise his/her own opinions, strategies, etc.
  • Serebii, although quite an annoying color scheme, is also a strong reference and can be used in conjunction with Bulbapedia for optimal accuracy.
  • Forum Trolls, because in all honesty, they keep the stupid away and should be appreciated.
  • These fags:: Desu, Squirtle, Gizmo, Shu, Kyu, Darkshade.
  • The 5% of the community that has made this game so enjoyable that I'd actually take the time to make this. Who are now RIP. 

Version History

1.0 -- 10/13/12 -- finished section one.

1.1 -- 10/13/12 -- minor wording edits for clarification

1.2 -- 10/22/12 -- expanded on Meowth section

2.0 -- 11/1/12 -- added section 3

2.0a -- 12/19/12 -- fixed a ghastly spelling error

2.0b -- 2/7/13 -- Added Smeargle

2.1 -- 6/25/13 -- Updated for Breeding/Flame Body

2.3 -- 9/25/13 -- Removed Overworld Ability/Moves sections

Edited by Atuan, 25 September 2013 - 05:49 AM.

#4 ControlledGravity

ControlledGravity
  • Members

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:21 PM

What?
  • KyleDude likes this

#5 Arid

Arid
  • Members

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:24 PM

Yeah, I'm a bit confused too. I get the "Coming Soon" thing, as in he's still working on the post in Notepad or Word or something. Not really sure why he wouldn't just wait til he was finished, but hey.

The reserved thing though, I have no idea what he means.

#6 Giygas

Giygas
  • Members

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:38 PM

The reserved thing though, I have no idea what he means.

It means he's reserving those posts so that he can break up what he wants to say into three posts for better organization.
  • SultryKitsune likes this

#7 Atuan

Atuan
  • Members

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:43 PM

Nailed it^

No clue why I didn't wait... I suppose if it gets locked I'll just remake it. It will take awhile, unfortunately. Need to get screenies in order.

#8 Demanter

Demanter
  • Members

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:16 PM

My current goal is to get a Shiny of any sort.

#9 Atuan

Atuan
  • Members

Posted 13 October 2012 - 05:44 AM

Bump for completing section 1

#10 Giygas

Giygas
  • Members

Posted 13 October 2012 - 06:11 AM

Bump for completing section 1

May I add that once breeding is added, Parasect will be probably the single best "Hunter" pokemon. This is due to Parasect being able to learn False Swipe as an egg move and Spore (The best sleep move EVER) by leveling up. Hell, it can even learn Thief if that's what you want to use it for.

EDIT: Oh, and sweet scent. So that's neat too.

#11 Atuan

Atuan
  • Members

Posted 13 October 2012 - 06:27 AM

until breeding, where I will switch to a parasect that will also double as my hunter - having spore and false swipe and aromatherapy.

Thief doesn't work too well because you're going to catch it anyway.

#12 Giygas

Giygas
  • Members

Posted 13 October 2012 - 06:31 AM

Thief doesn't work too well because you're going to catch it anyway.

Ah, I skipped "revisiting the story team" so I missed that :P

I think thief would just make it a little more of a utility pokemon. So you can use it to catch pokemon OR just farm items from them with thief. You know, if you don't plan on catching them.

EDIT: I also checked a little harder this time, but did you mention that the pokemon with Pickup doesn't have to be at the front of your party? Because it's important that you could fill your entire team with pickup pokemon.

#13 Atuan

Atuan
  • Members

Posted 13 October 2012 - 06:42 AM

EDIT: I also checked a little harder this time, but did you mention that the pokemon with Pickup doesn't have to be at the front of your party? Because it's important that you could fill your entire team with pickup pokemon.

Added.

Also, if you're going to thieve, you'd want to use compound eyes.

#14 SirBrian

SirBrian
  • Members

Posted 13 October 2012 - 08:05 AM

This is a pretty nice guide. :)

#15 Giygas

Giygas
  • Members

Posted 13 October 2012 - 08:25 AM

This is a pretty nice guide. :)

Its depth shows a solid understanding of Pokemon, clear writing, and solid research skills.
  • Kairos likes this

#16 I3lu

I3lu
  • Members

Posted 13 October 2012 - 10:21 AM

Great post. Very clearly outlines pokemon roles for new players. And provides many helpful tips on farming/overworld abilities. It is unfortunate, however, like most guide topics, 99% of the people who should read them won't read them.

5/5.

#17 Elite

Elite
  • Members

Posted 13 October 2012 - 10:28 AM

False Swipe particularly will deal 99% damage in one hit, rendering the pokemon close to death.

Leaves the Pokemon with 1 HP, not 99% damage in one hit. Huge difference.
  • Shiny likes this

#18 Atuan

Atuan
  • Members

Posted 13 October 2012 - 03:50 PM

Leaves the Pokemon with 1 HP, not 99% damage in one hit. Huge difference.

Fixed the poor wording.

#19 Anzhelika

Anzhelika
  • Members

Posted 13 October 2012 - 04:11 PM

Son, I am impress.

#20 Atsuko

Atsuko
  • Members

Posted 13 October 2012 - 04:46 PM

Amazing guide man! gives me a shit ton of other stuff to do. thanks!

#21 Chuckie

Chuckie
  • Members

Posted 13 October 2012 - 04:48 PM

Even Butterfree has its Uses

awesome i didnt know that.

This guide was generally helpful for me.
I can only imagine how useful this will be for those that havent even played this game.

Nice Job. I'd say it ranks up there with Galium's

#22 XPAddict

XPAddict
  • Members

Posted 13 October 2012 - 05:04 PM

Extraordinary work.

#23 Zubaru

Zubaru
  • Members

Posted 13 October 2012 - 05:13 PM

Wow im blown away, did not know there was so much advanced stuff to do in pokemon, i am totally going to use some of this info.

#24 HerpDerpBox

HerpDerpBox
  • Members

Posted 13 October 2012 - 06:09 PM

This....is pretty awesome. +1 to you! I didn't even know the butterfree thing o-o.

#25 DashSmashLps

DashSmashLps
  • Members

Posted 13 October 2012 - 06:58 PM

Pretty handy I will use this now training a meowth.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Breeding, Utility, Pokedex, Thief, Pay Day, False Swipe, Box Organisation, Hunting, End Game, Synchronize